TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
RadioSerenade Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: The Limelighter

Roosh V. - February 4th 2016, 12:25 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

A professional pick up artist and commentator known as Roosh V is causing controversy in Australia at the moment for planning to visit and hold a seminar in Sydney surrounding seduction. V has made commentary in an article claiming that rape should be made legal if done on private property. He claims that the article is satirical. I do not care to read it but if you do, the link is below:

http://www.rooshv.com/how-to-stop-rape

From skimming it, the article does not seem as bad as the line would suggest but this has resulted in a massive furore. He had beer poured on him in Canada with women claiming that "this is the man who says rape should be legal" and all this has resulted in the Australian Immigration Minister asking for V to be examined and reviewed, potentially to have his visa cancelled. There is also a petition on Change.org for the NSW Police to stop the event he has planned, with ever-opinionated TV personality Waleed Aly, claiming that Australians should hijack the event, whatever the living fuck he expects that to mean.

I actually wrote to the Immigration Minister when Chris Brown was refused entry to Australia for his domestic violence record, and I reminded him that the government, in the Migration Act does not have a restriction on the time passed since an offence has occurred for the validity of a banishment, so people could literally be banished for the rest of their lives for offences such as the one Chris Brown was convicted for. When the Tasmanian government introduced the Influx of Criminals Act in 1919, they had a restriction, saying that people could only be banished during the three years after the completion of any term of imprisonment, but the current Migration Act does not have that.

What do you think about the complete and universal banishment and condemnation from countries based on past offences and political sentiments? The Character Test the Australian government uses mentions that someone is seen as a person of poor character if they encourage the commission of a serious offence but if the article is indeed satirical, then not even that is certain. To banish Roosh V is, to me, an overreach. Thoughts?

02425950695064738395657479136519351798334535362521 43003540126026771622672160419810652263169355188780 38814483140652526168785095552646051071172000997092 91249544378887496062882911725063001303622934916080 25459461494578871427832350829242102091825896753560 43086993801689249889268099510169055919951195027887 17830837018340236474548882222161573228010132974509 27344594504343300901096928025352751833289884461508 94042482650181938515625357963996189939679054966380 03222348723967018485186439059104575627262464195387

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Roosh V. - February 4th 2016, 02:55 AM

I think this guy should definitely be banned, as well as put under surveillance. He not only said that rape on private property should be legal, but on a Q & A forum on his site, he said these things: "Q: What if crazy feminists show up?
A: Record them with your camera, upload the footage to Dropbox, and then send it to me at roosh@rooshv.com afterwards so we can tear them up."
As well as this:
"Our views are becoming known enough that we can “come out” of the shadows and not have to hide behind a computer screen for fear of retaliation. Up to now, the enemy has been able to exert their power by isolating us and attacking with shrieking mobs, but we’ll be able to neutralize that tactic by amassing in high numbers come February 6. I will exact furious retribution upon anyone who challenges you in public on that date (remember to record them)."
'Tear them up' and 'exact furious retribution' after showing him a recording sure as hell doesn't mean he's going to yell at them. It means he is actually a violent person, possibly a psychopath, and he should have extremely heavy surveillance on him at all times. I would also advocate the hacking of his site and emails.
http://www.rooshv.com/frequently-ask...-on-february-6
This was emailed around my dorm last night, because one of the meet-up locations is in my college town. Pssst... Coffee, stay away from Nickel's Arcade.
Edit: Is it satirical? There really isn't anything to suggest that he is. He's written all sorts of books and despises equality between genders and sexes. I'm surprised he even backed off the rape comment, after reading about him.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Roosh V. - February 4th 2016, 05:37 AM

Whether or not this guy is serious, he is causing enough panic that people should be concerned about if he is going to be allowed back if they start letting people's previous offences be forgotten, or even have the punishment lifted for them. He has told many people that he is planning on attacking the women around the area at the meet-up locations. As Robert said, I agree that he should be banned and have surveillance on him. It may seem like a light thing to some people, but to people that are actually going to be the ones getting hurt if he is allowed in, it is pretty serious.

I think that people are stupid enough to commit the offence to have the punishment put on them in the first place, then it shouldn't be lifted especially for serious things like domestic violence. Although, I also think that this should only start happening after a certain age so there is no saying 'They may not have understood their actions' like a lot of people seem to say. Saying that rape should be legal is pretty serious, and definitely something worth banning someone from a country over. There was a guy that was also going around quite recently (I think) that was giving rape classes to men, and was banned after only doing one session in Australia. He didn't do any damage, and didn't threaten to hurt anyone, just gave lessons on how to rape, although he never specifically said that it was rape it was obvious in his words, and he definitely deserved to be banished.

Roosh V on the other hand, has threatened to hurt people, has openly admitted and stated many times that he believes rape should be legal, and is altogether causing panic over his words. That's also serious, and is another thing that deserves to have a person banished for. When people make such statements, they aren't going to change their mind very fast, if even at all so lifting a ban would just make room for them to start panic all over again. I seriously don't think banning him is an overreaction because its a serious thing if people even consider banning you, and with rape statements like these, we don't want him in our country.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: Roosh V. - February 4th 2016, 06:55 AM

I read it a little (Don't have time to read full article and I'm still waking up a little), and he says some kind of viable alternative for rape. The thing is with rape if the woman was intoxicated, it's an offence, but if the man was intoxicated, he won't be believed, it also lowers the possibility of false rape charges. But the wording (And additional rule?) is atrociously bad with "Rape should be legal in private properties", satire or not. The idea of making rape legal on private property is a BAAAAAAAAD idea in my view. I do agree with him that women in first world countries are treated like they have little to no responsibility. I understand the reason that he typed, but the solution is 'ehhhhhhh' for me.

Also that he threatened to hurt people is a reason for him to be banished, being anti-feminist isn't.

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Roosh V. - February 5th 2016, 02:13 AM

I think the idea was that by making rape legal on private property, women will be more careful and less likely to go into a guy's house. But I didn't read his article on "how to stop rape", where that stupid idea came from, because its so fucking stupid. I can make sense of it, but thats part of the problem. Stupid people (or smart people who want to influence stupid people) always try to make a "common sense argument" that makes people think, "oh yeah, maybe he has a point". The traditional stupid person will stop thinking critically at this point, and try it. But then the idea is implemented, it fails miserably, and instead of admitting fault, the people who thought of it double down and say its somebody else's fault- an example of this is gun rights. Luckily, legal rape is on a whole new level of stupidity that could never gain traction.
With the drunk girl argument, he argues that if a guy has sex with a drunk girl, the girl can claim rape in retrospect because she was drunk. If a guy did this, it probably is less likely he could make the argument. I'd say its unfair, but I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing. I read Roosh's response to his rape allegations; he took a drunk girl home, had sex with her even though she was hammered, but apparently it was ok because she wanted to keep having sex in the morning. Not sure how to feel about that either, but I refuse to take his logic at face value.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Roosh V. - February 14th 2016, 05:41 PM

I think he is disgusting, I think the things he's said are disgusting, and honestly I'd be quite happy with people like him and Chris Brown being banned indefinitely from countries, they are either violent criminals, or perpetuate the idea that violence is ok.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Roosh V. - February 21st 2016, 03:34 PM

I don't agree that we should use the border as a means of accomplishing our goals, but if Chris Brown gets a 'no', then Roosh V is an even riper candidate for visa refusal.

One million miles away...

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Roosh V. - March 1st 2016, 10:05 PM

People have gotten completely distracted by his bad joke, from the main points he was trying to make. I'm pretty sure he only said "legalise rape" to cause hysteria so that his little article would get more publicity. After all... what else would you expect from such a statement? He scored 10/10 there, got exactly what he aimed for.

I read it quickly, but I'm pretty sure I agree with most of his points. Maybe even all of them.

"Legalising rape"... was a bad joke. That's how I understand it, and that's what I hope anyway.

Either way... I have a very low opinion of the rampant binge drinking culture which has been spreading for a long time now, and have an equally low opinion of most of it's offspring. Casual sex leading to frivolous rape accusations is just one of many such offspring. Pissing on war memorials and pavement pizza, dancing on windshields are other examples. Billions spent by public health services, etc.

And for a long time now, I have favored a strictly rational approach to things. If I were to get hit by a car speeding the wrong way, yes the driver is at fault. But I would also be a fucking idiot if I were crossing the road without looking in both directions, my ears plugged shut, and my face burried in my smartphone. I'd take responsibility for something like that if it were to happen to me... hence, it is far less likely to happen to me. I see this quite logically translating into the context of rape. If people took more responsibility for themselves, they could avoid those kinds of misfortunes. By taking responsibility, I don't just mean drinking responsibly. I also mean things like if you're going to go walking, by yourself, 1am, through a reputedly bad neighborhood where there is a real risk of getting raped... either don't fucking do it in the first place, or go prepared. Take a taser. Take a crowbar, or a brick in your handbag. Or whatever helps you, there is a wide choice of improvised weapons, and I'd be happy to see in the morning news that some would-be rapist not long ago in the early hours got his skull fractured.

Ban him? Sure, let's also ban Charlie Hebdo. That's also a bad joke (in case people can't tell the difference).
I don't know his history, or what else he's written or said... but based on just that article, it's idiotic to ban him from anywhere. Those kinds of jokes are usually not to my taste, so I simply don't watch or read that kind of stuff, or circulate it on Facebook. That's my most practical solution. It's not my fucking place to go around giving moral lectures to other people on what they should or shouldn't watch, etc. based on what I find "distasteful". Maybe if I had kids, which I've got no plans for.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; March 1st 2016 at 10:30 PM.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Roosh V. - March 2nd 2016, 04:09 AM

Wow, I didn't know that men had as much control over their urges to commit violence as high speed cars.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Roosh V. - March 2nd 2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee. View Post
Wow, I didn't know that men had as much control over their urges to commit violence as high speed cars.
Every car has a driver.

If someone is now going to quote Google's autopilot as a legit counter-argument that has anything to do with this thread, I just won't reply.

Disassembling anolgies based on inconsistencies in details, doesn't invalidate my point. Every analogy can be taken apart that way. It proves nothing.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; March 2nd 2016 at 04:48 PM.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
eat sleep rave repeat
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: REDACTED

Re: Roosh V. - March 2nd 2016, 11:35 PM

There are many men who seriously adhere to Roosh V's teachings on neomasculinity (which are not satirical, for the record, he is very ardent in his beliefs) and it would be atrociously naive to underestimate the threat they could pose to national security if their numbers increased. Granted, there is an awful lot of hysteria surrounding Roosh V and much of his activity is seeking to cause controversy and hence get attention. However, look at what the guy unironically advocates for. People feel threatened, and rightfully so.

I just think the guy is an irrational, willfully ignorant lunatic and his existence irritates me really. Roosh V is a typical redpill who, in being obsessed with the belief that he's the only one in touch with reality, is actually way further out of touch with reality than everyone else is, and logic and reason are lost on him. In theory, everything would be fine if we all paid no attention to him.

But, unfortunately, he's an influential lunatic and we have to pay attention to the potential threat surrounding him. It is a mistake to ignore that his seminars are prone to attracting individuals who are serious in their aims to perpetuate violence against women, as well as against the queer community and, as Roosh V describes them, "weaker" men. If he's not to be banned, he and his adherents should at least be closely monitored by authorities.

Closed Thread