TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
star_crossd's Avatar
 
Name: Sam
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: AZ

Posts: 770
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: January 15th 2009

Question Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 04:46 AM

In our English class this year, we read A Clockwork Orange (which I really loved) but my teacher said that next year they will be removing it from the curriculum because of its content. So I looked it up online and found a *long* list of banned books, which makes me mad. I love to read and I dont know why people have to be so outraged in certain literatures.

Who decides that a book is not allowed to be read? Aren't books a universal thing, something that everybody has a right to?

And what do you think is too inappropriate in a book that it should be censored?


Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.


Music is life. Start living.
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
eunoia's Avatar
 
Name: Jes
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 5,888
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 05:05 AM

I have to agree with you that access to books is a universal right. Once access to books and, thus, in a roundabout way, education, becomes privilege and not right, I think there's a problem which needs to be addressed. I can understand using only age appropriate texts in school curriculum, however.

I've moved this to Current Events and Debates as it best fits under the Debates header, in my opinion.



Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 05:06 AM

Actually I don't think that not allowing certain books in school libraries is a good idea. I mean I LOVE to read I read all of the time but honestly Clockwork Orange is a pretty intense book and I don't see how it was allowed to be part of the curriculum in the first place. I mean if your parents say you can read it at home that's fine but some books aren't meant for a school environment. Don't get me wrong there has to be good reason. I mean I don't think a book with a rape scene has a place in schools or even a sex scene really. I think books with the word fuck thrown around a lot really shouldn't be in the school environment either.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Kryptonite's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Gender: Male

Posts: 541
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 05:07 AM

Banned books by who? The school? The government? Completely different things.

If the school wants to ban a book, that's fine.
If the government wants to, there better be a damn good reason.


Alex
[Click to PM me.]


"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If Iím alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
Iíll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3




   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
mia705 Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
mia705's Avatar
 
Name: Ali
Age: 31
Gender: Female

Posts: 54
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 05:08 AM

I agree completely! While I have never read A Clockwork Orange, I think that it is ridiculous that books get banned. And some of those books get banned for the most ridiculous reason. I really do think it should be up to the reader to decide which books they think are appropriate or not. But its kind of just the way things are, fortunately, while school ban the books, pretty much all the books can be found one way or another if you really do want to read it.
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
star_crossd's Avatar
 
Name: Sam
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: AZ

Posts: 770
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: January 15th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 05:09 AM

Ah, thanks Jessie.

Yeah, maybe Clockwork Orange does have some questionable content but the way its written (if anyone here has read it) is unique--they have their own language that makes it a hard read but at the same time it also makes it so its not exactly explicit. And I think it has themes and morals that are really amazing. I think its perfectly acceptable for high school students.

And, again, just as anyone has a right to read books, they also have a right to NOT read the book if they dont feel comfortable doing so. Which was also an option for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia705 View Post
I agree completely! While I have never read A Clockwork Orange, I think that it is ridiculous that books get banned. And some of those books get banned for the most ridiculous reason.
Haha, one of the reasons Clockwork was banned back in the 70's was because of "questionable language" which made me laugh--he used a language he made up!


Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.


Music is life. Start living.

Last edited by star_crossd; May 17th 2009 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
eunoia's Avatar
 
Name: Jes
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 5,888
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
Actually I don't think that not allowing certain books in school libraries is a good idea. I mean I LOVE to read I read all of the time but honestly Clockwork Orange is a pretty intense book and I don't see how it was allowed to be part of the curriculum in the first place. I mean if your parents say you can read it at home that's fine but some books aren't meant for a school environment. Don't get me wrong there has to be good reason. I mean I don't think a book with a rape scene has a place in schools or even a sex scene really. I think books with the word fuck thrown around a lot really shouldn't be in the school environment either.
I know that rape is a sensitive subject.. but what is wrong with schools approaching sensitive subjects? If we educate our children and young adults on these things, maybe they'll be more equipped to handle difficult situations, should they arise. Addressing sensitive subjects in schools gives people the tools they need to cope with, well, life.

Also, we have sex ed in schools? Er.. some schools. Why can't our literature depict a natural human function?

With curse words--they can be effective literary tools. It's not like they've never heard these words. My view on cussing may vary from yours. I view "bad" words as just another word, really. It's the connotation that matters. Reading a curse word is different than telling someone to "go f*** yourself."



Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
star_crossd's Avatar
 
Name: Sam
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: AZ

Posts: 770
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: January 15th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
I know that rape is a sensitive subject.. but what is wrong with schools approaching sensitive subjects? If we educate our children and young adults on these things, maybe they'll be more equipped to handle difficult situations, should they arise. Addressing sensitive subjects in schools gives people the tools they need to cope with, well, life.

Also, we have sex ed in schools? Er.. some schools. Why can't our literature depict a natural human function?

With curse words--they can be effective literary tools. It's not like they've never heard these words. My view on cussing may vary from yours. I view "bad" words as just another word, really. It's the connotation that matters. Reading a curse word is different than telling someone to "go f*** yourself."
I feel the same concerning language use. It has never bothered me at all.

And the rape scene, well, as I said before, the language he uses kind of blurs it a bit, its not too explicit. Plus, it was there to underline the violence of the society because violence was a large part of the plot. So its not like it was just random, there was a reason.


Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.


Music is life. Start living.
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough
*********
 
Casey.'s Avatar
 
Name: Casey
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in my mind

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 337
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 05:37 AM

I have never read A Clockwork Orange, but I think I might get in from my school's library. My beliefs on banned books are fairly simple.Books should not be banned, everyone should have the right to read, or not read, what ever they want.

I read banned books for fun,mostly because they are banned. Otherwise, I never would have even picked some of them up. Banning a book makes a person curious, and then more people will read that book. Quite the opposite of what was intended, for sure.


She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.


Smile through the tears.


PM me

  Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 05:44 AM

I'm curious as to who is banning the books. Is it the school, teachers, government, etc...? Banning books that deal with "sensitive topics", such as rape, molestation, murder, etc..., I find to be nonsense. Perhaps it's not something for younger kids to read, however, in a high school, the older, more senior students should be allowed to. Banning a book is rather pointless because once one sees it on the ban list, then people want to know, "how did it get on there, what's in it?". If the book got published, then that's generally good enough because other individuals and companies had no problem with letting the book go.

I haven't read this particular book, however, from the previous posts, if there's explicit language and a rape scene, then what's the big deal? It's not like those things are foreign to students, turn on the news, listen to some people talk. I doubt it's very explicit or else it wouldn't be in the cirriculum, so my view is some students, teachers or parents complained enough and now it's banned.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
star_crossd's Avatar
 
Name: Sam
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: AZ

Posts: 770
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: January 15th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I have never read A Clockwork Orange, but I think I might get in from my school's library. My beliefs on banned books are fairly simple.Books should not be banned, everyone should have the right to read, or not read, what ever they want.

I read banned books for fun,mostly because they are banned. Otherwise, I never would have even picked some of them up. Banning a book makes a person curious, and then more people will read that book. Quite the opposite of what was intended, for sure.
Its really good, once you get used to the funky language

I do too, I looked up a list of previously banned books and at the moment my reading list is made up of The Grapes of Wrath, The Color Purple, Beloved, and Slaughterhouse Five.

I think its both hilarious and sad that books like Harry Potter and Scary Stories are banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
I'm curious as to who is banning the books. Is it the school, teachers, government, etc...?
I'm saying just in general. In this case, its my school banning this book from next year. In the past, the government has banned these books (but ha! their plans have been foiled!).


Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.


Music is life. Start living.

Last edited by star_crossd; May 17th 2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Grizabella's Avatar
 
Name: Jessica
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 1,305
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 05:50 AM

At my school, when I was in IB, some parents complained that we were reading Lysistrata (a Greek play about women who attempt to stop their husbands from going to war by refusing to have sex with them). Our school replied that if they didn't want their children reading the material in the curriculum, their children didn't have to be in the IB programme. I'm very glad my school stood up to the whining parents.

They also complained about all the sex in Stone Angel...which is utterly ridiculous. The references to sex in that one are so vague, lots of people miss them. I had to laugh, because after the flames died down and we actually started reading it, we were all "WTF? Where's all this gross, explicit sex everyone's so concerned about?"


Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
star_crossd's Avatar
 
Name: Sam
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: AZ

Posts: 770
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: January 15th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 05:59 AM

Ha, seriously! If someone truly doesnt want to read it, its not like the teachers are gonna force your kids to read it. I'm so glad my parents aren't like that. Ever since I was in like 6th grade, they were pretty much, "Read what you want to, its good that you even like to read."


Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.


Music is life. Start living.
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 11:59 AM

Schools want more students to read more, but banning certain books are going to discourage students from reading.
  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Olive, always Offline
The Mighty Grape
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Olive, always's Avatar
 
Name: Liv
Age: 27
Gender: Female

Posts: 262
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 12:16 PM

A Clockwork Orange is a highly controversial book. I think it was probably on the list for its ending - I mean, the guy gets off with no consequence pretty much - and that just doesn't jibe with our American values, eh? :P
As far as banned books go - I think that some of them have a place in the banned books category whilst others should just be approached at differently as they have something to offer educationally-speaking despite the content. So, I propose a concession.


=P
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Gingerbread Latte's Avatar
 
Name: Cara
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Scotland

Posts: 6,716
Blog Entries: 136
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 01:30 PM

In my opinion banning things like books and films only makes people want to watch/read them more. For example I only watched Cannibal Holocaust because it had been banned in several countries. If the books are about sensitive subjects then people who don't feel comfortable reading them can always read something else and go and sit in another classroom. I can see why younger people shouldn't be allowed to read them but people in their last year at school should get the choice of what they want to read.

I just looked at a list of banned books and Alice In Wonderland is banned in China, lol. The reason: for having human-like animals in it.


   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Exelus Offline
Aspiring Psychologist
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Exelus's Avatar
 
Name: Russell
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: South Georgia A.K.A Redneck Central

Posts: 211
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: February 13th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 01:35 PM

One book that I heard gets banned a lot is Brave New World. I've read the book, and it was one of the most interesting and educational books I've ever read.

The book is about a 'utopia' where everyone is happy. People are not born, they are made and created to standards specified by the government. Every aspect of citizen's lives is managed by the government. You are given a job that suits you, and are brainwashed to love that job. If you ever have any problems, there is a miracle drug known as Soma that is a narcotic without any serious side effects, other than respiratory failure from overdose. The government rations out this drug, and you are also allowed to have sex with whomever you want, whenever you want. Mother is the supreme curse word, as every woman is sterilized since they have no need for sexual reproduction anymore. Things like marriage and religion are long gone. The only religion to be spoken of is worship of Henry Ford. VERY interesting book.

Of course, it is a work of satire, meant to shock the reader into realizing what our society is becoming. Once you realize that it is a work of satire, and not meant as an actual utopia, there is no reason why the book should not be read. Any sex scenes depicted are not graphic, they're implied. I don't think we should ban ANY book, so long as it has some educational value.


If at first you don't succeed, try try again. If you still don't succeed, redefine success.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss


  Send a message via MSN to Exelus  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
At my school, when I was in IB, some parents complained that we were reading Lysistrata (a Greek play about women who attempt to stop their husbands from going to war by refusing to have sex with them). Our school replied that if they didn't want their children reading the material in the curriculum, their children didn't have to be in the IB programme. I'm very glad my school stood up to the whining parents.

They also complained about all the sex in Stone Angel...which is utterly ridiculous. The references to sex in that one are so vague, lots of people miss them. I had to laugh, because after the flames died down and we actually started reading it, we were all "WTF? Where's all this gross, explicit sex everyone's so concerned about?"
I'm sorry but I agree with the parents to a point. I mean I did a project on Lysistrata my freshman year of college and I was slightly shocked at the blatant language used throughout the play. I think parent's have a right to parent their child. I mean I remember my first day of LMS class, which was basically sex ed and they asked us if any of our parents would have issues with us seeing some of the things we would be seeing. And I think parents have a right to be notified if the school is going to try to require reading that contains explicit, and I do mean plain this is a sex or this is a rape scene, sections. At least up until junior year of high school the parents have a right to say no. We have too many parents out there that don't give a shit what their kids watch or read and it does more harm than people think.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Gingerbread Latte's Avatar
 
Name: Cara
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Scotland

Posts: 6,716
Blog Entries: 136
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
I'm sorry but I agree with the parents to a point. I mean I did a project on Lysistrata my freshman year of college and I was slightly shocked at the blatant language used throughout the play. I think parent's have a right to parent their child. I mean I remember my first day of LMS class, which was basically sex ed and they asked us if any of our parents would have issues with us seeing some of the things we would be seeing. And I think parents have a right to be notified if the school is going to try to require reading that contains explicit, and I do mean plain this is a sex or this is a rape scene, sections. At least up until junior year of high school the parents have a right to say no. We have too many parents out there that don't give a shit what their kids watch or read and it does more harm than people think.
I have to disagree with you there. My parents have always said I can go on whatever I want on the internet, the reason why I don't have an internet block. They don't mind what I read, watch or listen to and I've read books with sex scenes in and most of them are quite descriptive. I think I've turned out alright, I mean just because I've read about a rape scence it's not going to make me want to do it. I agree the parents should be informed and should be allowed to have their say but what if the person wants to read the book but can't because their parent's don't want them to. I think the school should take into account both opinions.


   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough
*********
 
udontno's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda Kate
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: VA, USA

Posts: 3,039
Blog Entries: 24
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 04:42 PM

I don't think the school should ban books. You should be allowed to opt out of the reading of a book. Reading things that are a little on the "edge" is what makes you more rounded. I think some of the most controversial stuff is the stuff that has educated me and made me a more well rounded person.


--A
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
star_crossd's Avatar
 
Name: Sam
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: AZ

Posts: 770
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: January 15th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 17th 2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergg View Post
A Clockwork Orange is a highly controversial book. I think it was probably on the list for its ending - I mean, the guy gets off with no consequence pretty much - and that just doesn't jibe with our American values, eh? :P
Yes but then he chooses to change his ways after he sees his old friend with a wife and child. And that was the whole point of the book, is having your own choice in what kind of person you are. And I love that theme.

And theres actually a movie of Clockwork but they didnt use the last chapter where he decides to change and they left the ending at where he gets away with it all and he's acting like he's just going to go back to his violent ways. The producers said that having him change at the end wasn't a good ending for the cinema or something like that. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exelus View Post
One book that I heard gets banned a lot is Brave New World. I've read the book, and it was one of the most interesting and educational books I've ever read.
We read that book, too. It WAS pretty interesting but the beginning was so confusing when they were describing all the technicality of growing people in tubes and such. The whole "have sex whenever and with whoever!!" was crazy, I can see why they banned it. Wouldn't want to make our youth promiscuous, eh?


Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.


Music is life. Start living.

Last edited by star_crossd; May 17th 2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Grizabella's Avatar
 
Name: Jessica
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 1,305
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 18th 2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
I'm sorry but I agree with the parents to a point. I mean I did a project on Lysistrata my freshman year of college and I was slightly shocked at the blatant language used throughout the play. I think parent's have a right to parent their child. I mean I remember my first day of LMS class, which was basically sex ed and they asked us if any of our parents would have issues with us seeing some of the things we would be seeing. And I think parents have a right to be notified if the school is going to try to require reading that contains explicit, and I do mean plain this is a sex or this is a rape scene, sections. At least up until junior year of high school the parents have a right to say no. We have too many parents out there that don't give a shit what their kids watch or read and it does more harm than people think.
We were in grade 12. I hardly think the extra year waiting to read a play like that would suddenly make us mature enough to read it. and what translation were you using? The one we read definitely had sex jokes, but none so horrible that I would call it explicit.

The parents had every right to withdraw their 18 year olds from the IB programme if they didn't want them reading the play. What bothered me was that when we asked them, none of the parents had taken the time to read it themselves to see if it was actually bad.


Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
star_crossd's Avatar
 
Name: Sam
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: AZ

Posts: 770
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: January 15th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 18th 2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
The parents had every right to withdraw their 18 year olds from the IB programme if they didn't want them reading the play. What bothered me was that when we asked them, none of the parents had taken the time to read it themselves to see if it was actually bad.
Wow, 18?? I definitely think they should be in control of what they want or do not want to read by that age. I mean really, at that age, your parents shouldn't be outraged by you reading something with mature content.


Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.


Music is life. Start living.
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
imaginarybird Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
imaginarybird's Avatar
 
Name: Ashleigh
Age: 28
Gender: Female

Posts: 15
Join Date: January 9th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 18th 2009, 02:06 AM

For me the banning and censorship of books has always been more about people who are scared to confront a topic. When they place the book on a list it incites a discussion and they can finally talk about it without direct fear of repurcussions. People who want something banned often do not understand the book or its subject matter, and in many cases haven't even read it, they have simply jumped on the bandwagon of "Well, they said it was bad."

One example that is a prime example of censorship out of fear is "And Tango Makes Three", a children's book that depicts two Central Park penguins who raise an orphaned chick together, and both happen to be male, that is somewhat based on actual events. People call the book anti-religion and anti-family. Quite frankly, if someone is so scared about the content of a picture book "corrupting" their child, then they should spend less time worrying about books and more time worrying about their parenting skills. The same idea can be applied to basically any book that is on a banned book list.
  Send a message via AIM to imaginarybird  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
star_crossd's Avatar
 
Name: Sam
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: AZ

Posts: 770
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: January 15th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 18th 2009, 02:14 AM

Seriously. I hate that religion is often a reason for a book being banned, as if the Church were some huge authority that has power to tale away a book for EVERYBODY, be they Christian or not. Its the 21st century; not everyone sees the book as anti-religion and even if it IS, I'm sure there are other good qualities to the book, morals, themes, etc. I've found that most banned books are some of the best reads with the best messages.


Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.


Music is life. Start living.
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
TheWhiteTornado's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 26
Gender: Male

Posts: 786
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 18th 2009, 02:20 AM

I personally think that books should not be banned in schools, or anywhere. Like several people have said before, knowledge should be available to anyone. I do, however, think that there should be some warning or section for books like this so that there wouldn't be a situation such as someone being triggered etc.


"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen
   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Exelus Offline
Aspiring Psychologist
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Exelus's Avatar
 
Name: Russell
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: South Georgia A.K.A Redneck Central

Posts: 211
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: February 13th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 18th 2009, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_crossd View Post

We read that book, too. It WAS pretty interesting but the beginning was so confusing when they were describing all the technicality of growing people in tubes and such. The whole "have sex whenever and with whoever!!" was crazy, I can see why they banned it. Wouldn't want to make our youth promiscuous, eh?
UGH! That isn't the point of the book! The point of the book is to shock people into realizing the fact that we are moving closer to being totally promiscuous. We're almost encouraging kids to have sex at younger ages by giving them condoms, why can't we say that everyone can have sex together regardless of age? Why can't primary school children play erotic games at recess?

The book is satire. Its meant to be so radical that it wakes people up and shows them their mistakes. I think that in today's world, that book shouldn't be banned, it should be encouraged. We should encourage our children to read books like these, not censor them because you don't understand what the book is really about.


If at first you don't succeed, try try again. If you still don't succeed, redefine success.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss


  Send a message via MSN to Exelus  
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lorelei's Avatar
 
Name: Laura
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: in my own thoughts

Posts: 801
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 18th 2009, 07:46 PM

I don't think books should be banned but I do think that it's important for schools to give age appropriate curriculum. It's wrong to put a federal or state mandated ban on any book. But in a school, I can understand the concern. Students shouldn't be required to read such books for class but should be given the option to read them for an individual book report or silent reading.

I love to read and I've read some intense stuff, but some books just don't need to be in a K-12 syllabus.


"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

Last edited by Lorelei; May 18th 2009 at 07:54 PM.
   
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 24
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,685
Blog Entries: 121
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 18th 2009, 08:04 PM

I think it's beyond stupid when books are banned, especially since they're normally banned based off of people's personal beliefs. What you read show be your choice, not the choice of someone else. If they don't want to read the book, fine, but they don't have a right to ban them so no one else can read them. Harry Potter being banned? I wonder what stupid reason they have for that...





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Grizabella's Avatar
 
Name: Jessica
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 1,305
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 18th 2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Girl View Post
Harry Potter being banned? I wonder what stupid reason they have for that...
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/banned-harry.html

Typically people object to Harry Potter because it promotes witch-craft, sets bad examples, and is too dark.

Quote:
They fear that any books which have good witches or good magicólike the Harry Potter seriesówill lead people not to take the threat of real witchcraft seriously, and possibly lead them to take the Bible's teachings in general more lightly. They might even lead readers to become witches themselves.
To me, that mostly seems like criticisms of scared Christians who are insecure in their own beliefs and are afraid their children might realize there are options other than Christianity.

Quote:
Some people find the Harry Potter books to be inappropriate reading because of the way Harry and his friends behave. Some note that Harry "lies, breaks rules, and disobeys authority figures, including the professors at Hogwarts," and that he ends up being rewarded and praised for his actions. They feel that heroes should be entirely good people who do as they're told and respect others.
This seems a better reason to me, but I still don't think it's right to try to bad the books. Harry & co. sometimes break rules, but they're for the most part selfless characters trying to do the right thing.

As for it being too scary...yes, maybe some of the later books especially are too scary for very young children. But I see that more as a call for parent discretion, not outright banning of the series.


Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius
   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 24
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,685
Blog Entries: 121
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 18th 2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/banned-harry.html

Typically people object to Harry Potter because it promotes witch-craft, sets bad examples, and is too dark.
lmao. They give ridiculous reasons. I'm sorry, but there are many books out there that are far worse than Harry Potter, and are not banned.

Banning it because it 'picks fun' of evil things that are in the world? What kid reads Harry Potter, and then decides his/her biggest ambition in life is to hunt down demons and wizards and kill them with his magic wand?

As for the characters setting a bad example, honestly, who cares? The bottom line is that if a parent doesn't promote their kids reading Harry Potter, then fine, don't allow them to read it. But banning the book so that kids who would be allowed to read it don't have the chance is stupid and unnecessary.





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
star_crossd's Avatar
 
Name: Sam
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: AZ

Posts: 770
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: January 15th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 19th 2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Girl View Post

lmao. They give ridiculous reasons. I'm sorry, but there are many books out there that are far worse than Harry Potter, and are not banned.

Banning it because it 'picks fun' of evil things that are in the world? What kid reads Harry Potter, and then decides his/her biggest ambition in life is to hunt down demons and wizards and kill them with his magic wand?
~raises hand~ What, I'm the only one??

I think its ridiculous reason to ban Harry Potter. Its just magick, its a fantasy genre. Its not like Ron, Harry, and Hermione are out burning crosses and writing satanic symbols everywhere to promote anti-christianity and witchcrafty-ness

And wow, really? He sets bad examples like breaking the rules and lying? Pffft. He's a fictional character. I doubt reading Harry Potter is going to lead kids into a rebellion against authority figures. Some people just make me laugh...


Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.


Music is life. Start living.
   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Oiseau the Little Bird!'s Avatar
 
Name: Bernadette
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 457
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 13th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 19th 2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
I'm sorry but I agree with the parents to a point. I mean I did a project on Lysistrata my freshman year of college and I was slightly shocked at the blatant language used throughout the play. I think parent's have a right to parent their child. I mean I remember my first day of LMS class, which was basically sex ed and they asked us if any of our parents would have issues with us seeing some of the things we would be seeing. And I think parents have a right to be notified if the school is going to try to require reading that contains explicit, and I do mean plain this is a sex or this is a rape scene, sections. At least up until junior year of high school the parents have a right to say no. We have too many parents out there that don't give a shit what their kids watch or read and it does more harm than people think.

And yet there are movies and TV shows that show explicit scenes (or very implicative) every day in the nation, music that talks about sex and violence in horrifying ways...And teenagers every day talk about sex and swear to the point where it would shame a sailor.

I know I'm one of them.

But anyway... I think it's ridiculous to assume that all children are virgins to the ideas of sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll.


Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.


  Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Gidig's Avatar
 
Name: Maria
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 2,123
Blog Entries: 390
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 20th 2009, 01:16 AM

We spoke about this during "Banned book week". I think elementary school and middle schools should have the ability to do this just as they should be allowed with movies and so forth. Though I think their usual reasons to do so are stupid, if we get past the stupid reasons, then yeah, banning them there is reasonable.

But in High School, I think it's stupid. We're big-kids now.



The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Oiseau the Little Bird!'s Avatar
 
Name: Bernadette
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 457
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 13th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 20th 2009, 03:25 AM

I'm Harry Potter, school is for losers, I'm totally awesome...


Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.


  Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Kyle11 Offline
Designated Informer!
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Kyle11's Avatar
 
Name: Kyle
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Texas

Posts: 28
Join Date: January 25th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 20th 2009, 03:32 AM

It's censorship. It should be removed entirely. I believe without censorship people may actually see the world, and that worries the U.S. government, because people might actually start questioning the Government and Societal religious standard.

OH!

If you liked A Clockwork Orange, you should read "The Wanting Seed" also by Anthony Burgese
   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
star_crossd's Avatar
 
Name: Sam
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: AZ

Posts: 770
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: January 15th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 20th 2009, 04:47 AM

Bah. I think people just love to make controversies out of stupid things, love to feel "outraged", so, voila, censorship. Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle11 View Post
If you liked A Clockwork Orange, you should read "The Wanting Seed" also by Anthony Burgese
And, cool, I'll check it out


Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.


Music is life. Start living.

Last edited by star_crossd; May 20th 2009 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.
   
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
sturmeskind Offline
formally known as "Okta"
Average Joe
***
 
sturmeskind's Avatar
 
Name: Lisa
Age: 32
Gender: Squid
Location: in the closet, Bavaria, Germany

Posts: 157
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 20th 2009, 11:46 PM

Books should not be banned. (Yes, I do know that "Mein Kampf" is banned around here, but no one really bothers and it's allowed "for historical purposes")

Clockwork Orange is a classic. Sometimes, or even often, books become classics because of their controversy.
And I think it's pretty clear that you wouldn't read such books in primary school. That would be ... dumb.
But if 15-year-olds can curse and have sex, they should be allowed to read about it, too.
   
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lorelei's Avatar
 
Name: Laura
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: in my own thoughts

Posts: 801
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 21st 2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmeskind View Post
Books should not be banned. (Yes, I do know that "Mein Kampf" is banned around here, but no one really bothers and it's allowed "for historical purposes")

Clockwork Orange is a classic. Sometimes, or even often, books become classics because of their controversy.
And I think it's pretty clear that you wouldn't read such books in primary school. That would be ... dumb.
But if 15-year-olds can curse and have sex, they should be allowed to read about it, too.
I don't even think books by disgusting bigoted mass murderers should be banned. A wise man/woman once said that history is doomed to repeat itself, but if we are forewarned and keep ourselves in the know about what's happened before, we can maybe prevent it from happening again too soon.

The trouble with the last part of your argument is that 15-year-olds are still minors. Therefore, their parents will decide what they can and cannot do. Many parents feel the need to shelter their children for a personal/religious/whatever reason, and refuse to accept anything different. So, the parents of the few 15-year-olds who do not curse and/or have sex are going to try to keep their kids from learning about those things, in order to prevent them from doing them. (This is completely illogical on their part, but they are still the parents and have legal influence that kids just don't have.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiseau the Little Bird! View Post
I'm Harry Potter, school is for losers, I'm totally awesome...
VOLDEMORT'S NIPPLE!


"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

Last edited by Lorelei; May 21st 2009 at 04:18 AM.
   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while
********
 
TigerTank77's Avatar
 
Name: Ben
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: NY

Posts: 1,534
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Banned Books - May 21st 2009, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei View Post
VOLDEMORT'S NIPPLE!
What... the fuck?


Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.





  Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
banned, books

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.