TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Anger of Snapchat "Blackface" Marley filter - April 22nd 2016, 09:08 AM

Article:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/anger-over...210122302.html

This is hardly even worth my time, so I won't write much. Really I just wanted to show what idiots out there exist which obviously have nothing better to do than look for problems which don't exist. Or maybe they do it to get more followers on snap chat, youtube, etc. Maybe they're not stupid. I don't know.

I can't speak for him, but I'm pretty sure Bob Marley would not give a damned shit.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1233207 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
IH8U2 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Anger of Snapchat "Blackface" Marley filter - April 22nd 2016, 10:08 AM

I agree 100%.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Anger of Snapchat "Blackface" Marley filter - April 22nd 2016, 10:56 AM

Regardless of what Bob Marley would have thought about it, this is black face, which is inherently racist. A snapchat filter might not be the most pressing issue of the day, but the fact is that this is symbolic of the casual racism that is perpetuated on a daily basis in Western countries.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
IH8U2 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Anger of Snapchat "Blackface" Marley filter - April 22nd 2016, 11:22 AM

It's not even black face. Your face stays the same color. They just have you in dreadlocks, a beanie, and his facial features.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Anger of Snapchat "Blackface" Marley filter - April 22nd 2016, 11:33 AM

The filter did also also tint your face. Not that your opinions would be swayed by that, just for the sake of accuracy.

A recent trend of TeenHelp threads shows that folks unaffected by issues aren't offended when issues happen. Wow, white people don't care during appropriation of black culture and issues are called petty and we all must question the wishes of a dead person instead of consider the lives of people living today. How surprising.

But in all seriousness, the filter was poor judgment on Snapchat's part. Black face is a particularly annoying form of racism to me because it requires so much effort. It's not a discrete microaggression that was taught over a person's lifetime and may be unnoticed by them. A person must put a lot of time painting their face (or in this case, Snapchat staff sat at many meetings discussing this and approving this filter). How did nobody think it was a bad idea?

I just don't understand why we can't just respect others' feelings even if you personally don't see the issue?

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
IH8U2 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Anger of Snapchat "Blackface" Marley filter - April 22nd 2016, 11:46 AM

Do you think an Obama mask is racist?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Anger of Snapchat "Blackface" Marley filter - April 22nd 2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee. View Post
A recent trend of TeenHelp threads shows that folks unaffected by issues aren't offended when issues happen.
It's not a trend on TeenHelp, any more or less than it is everywhere else on the planet. People's empathy extends only so far out before it starts diminishing. The highest priorities are the people closest to them, partners, friends, family, followed by colleagues at work maybe, etc.

It's not anywhere near as simple as that... but really there would be too much write about. Things like social media, globalization, etc. bring people closer together too. Crises situations also amplify fundamental personality traits. If someone is more altruistic, they will become even more so. If someone is more egoistic, they will become even more so. But even that varies, because most people display both traits to significant degrees at different times.

Quote:
Wow, white people don't care during appropriation of black culture and issues are called petty and we all must question the wishes of a dead person instead of consider the lives of people living today. How surprising.
I don't particularly care most of the time for the appropriation of white people that is done in similar ways (and I'm not alone in this). And it does happen. Of course there is a whole "wall of China" built around defending how it is somehow "more acceptable" or "less outrageous" to appropriate white people than it is to appropriate black people, or other minorities. I don't particularly care for that either. This isn't directed at you. I've just been over it enough times, and more often than not, what I encounter is people increasingly retreating into their turtle shells or reacting defensively when the hypocrisy is exposed, or responding with circular arguments that make my head spin. There are very few (effectively no) rational arguments which support racially based discrimination in whichever direction. But I can't change other people, and there are better things for me to do than get annoyed over these things anymore.

Quote:
But in all seriousness, the filter was poor judgment on Snapchat's part.
I agree, it was poor judgement. This snapchat controversy isn't the first of it's kind. Considering there are fools out there calling "racism" because the safety signs on public transport feature white stickmen on dark green backgrounds, they should have foreseen something like this happening.

Let's just think common sense for a second: what would happen if there were black stickmen on dark green backgrounds? Nobody would be able to read the signs.

This is the kind of crap that I sometimes read over lunch that nearly makes me spit my food out. I think it was some random facebook post that got circulated. I don't remember. I don't think it ever gained enough traction to go mainstream and have a news article written about it... which surprised me, because some of the arguments were intriguing, going back to the days when black people weren't allowed to sit on buses. Intriguing, but easily debunked, so I'm not supporting it. I've also changed my facebook settings to remove that kind of spam from my timeline, because I prefer to keep my food down.

Quote:
I just don't understand why we can't just respect others' feelings even if you personally don't see the issue?
Everyone can take some accountability.

I take accountability for generally not causing unnecessary controversy. Most people do. Just what the hell for? It just is not necessary most of the time. It's the same reason why I take the first plate from a stack, instead of counting 5 down and picking one that has a pretty edge around it instead. Pointless.

But sometimes (and this is not frequent), some things need to be said, which people won't like and will find controversial. As adults, people should take accountability, and be more in control of their feelings, instead of descending into hysterics and sensationalizing such trivial problems such as this snapchat issue (although this isn't a good example of what I mean). I've not looked into it in detail, and I don't need to. I've seen people going batshit crazy on youtube, just because someone posts "Obama" under a trailer video. Granted... I really doubt most of those people are "adults" (lol), but I'm just making a point here. Also, turning 18 doesn't suddenly make someone emotionally mature.

I generally really strongly advocate personal accountability. It's why I hate the idea of governments implementing policies, regulations, etc.... things like political correctness, and so on, designed to "protect" people from some non-threat. People need to just grow a thicker skin, instead of wanting the government to protect them, or the UN to ban people from facebook or twitter (some feminist went off on a tangent once, I don't remember, and it's not very relevant). Madness.

Political correctness is completely unnecessary. Common courtesy is enough for people to know better than turn up to a person's funeral and start bad mouthing them in front of relatives, and common courtesy is enough for people to know better than make racist jokes openly in public. You ought to have noticed that people who regularly do those kinds of things (racist jokes in inappropriate contexts), tend to behave inappropriately in countless other ways too, because that kind of disregard for people's feelings is usually rooted deeper down in their personality. They're not so much "racist" as they are just a well-rounded asshole.

Just to close my post: political correctness has been hijacked by politics and in my opinion turned into a joke. Like the white stickmen on green backgrounds garbage. I don't like political correctness and other affiliated ideas. It's why I feel justified posting this thread. So going back 4 paragraphs, yes, it's a little controversial... but posting this thread does not seem entirely pointless to me.

I have a very negative attitude towards political correctness, you could even say I have my "guard up" against letting these kinds of things into my mind. Compare this to a firewall protecting an operating system, which sometimes flags something as a virus even when it is not. Those are called "false positives". I say this, because sometimes I experience the same, and overreact to something trivial, the same way a firewall reacts to a "false positive". Most people in fact overreact to something trivial every now and then, and it is hard to tell who is right, because nobody is. And nobody is wrong. It's all ultimately very subjective. But I prefer having a firewall that flags occasional "false positives" instead of not having any whatsoever, and allowing all sorts of crap to enter my system. Same way I prefer to have my guard up against certain ideologies (in fact most ideologies, maybe even all ideologies, but some more than others), and experience occasional "false positives", instead of allowing any and all bullcrap to just pass through me. What I'm trying to say, is I could be wrong about this. I wouldn't know it if I were, but even I somehow suddenly realized that I were wrong about this instance... it's very unlikely I'd change my attitude.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; April 22nd 2016 at 08:30 PM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Re: Anger of Snapchat "Blackface" Marley filter - April 22nd 2016, 04:49 PM

I don't believe the filter is purposely promoting racism or being disrespectful towards Marley in anyway. There are plenty of other snapchat filters that lighten one's face, or its a stereotypical girl with a lot of makeup on or a girl crying, yet snapchat isn't being forced to apologize for any of that.

I get how it can be offensive, but so can the other filters on snapchat if people really want to go there.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Anger of Snapchat "Blackface" Marley filter - April 22nd 2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
It's not a discrete microaggression that was taught over a person's lifetime and may be unnoticed by them. A person must put a lot of time painting their face (or in this case, Snapchat staff sat at many meetings discussing this and approving this filter). How did nobody think it was a bad idea?
I don't even use Snapchat to be honest. But if I were behind the design of this filter, I'd have released one at the same time which somehow would "appropriate" white people the same way.

I don't know how, but I'd think of something.

It would be a social experiment. Curiosity. Or maybe that's just the devil in me, because I am pretty sure what the reaction would be. As far as I know, Snapchat might have even done it already, but nobody is talking about it lol.

Closed Thread