TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
mh182 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
mh182's Avatar
 
Age: 30

Posts: 27
Join Date: January 10th 2009

Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 17th 2009, 04:53 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Right, this is one thing I do not understand. How is it ok for someone to say your a twig, or your so skinny, yet not ok to say to someone your fat, chubby etc. I mean isnt it the same just opposites? I hear people saying your skinny to peoples faces more than your fat! Why is this ok?

Its like someone saying your so tall, why is it a good thing? Do people say to short people your so small? without offending them and getting a black eye?

Dicuss your views.

Edit: Just a reminder from Alex: Please do not post any weight numbers for this debate. It has also been marked triggering.

Last edited by Kryptonite; May 28th 2009 at 02:10 AM.
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 24
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,685
Blog Entries: 121
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 17th 2009, 05:14 PM

I think it's ridiculous. There's a point where someone can become TO skinny, and there's a point where people can become to overweight. Unfortunately, society makes it seem as if there's nothing wrong with starving yourself or doing anything at all to make yourself look "skinny." I think the important thing is that your healthy and feel good about yourself, you shouldn't define yourself as 'skinny' or 'fat.' and nor should society.





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while
********
 
*Rainbow*Rider*'s Avatar
 
Name: H
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: England

Posts: 1,921
Blog Entries: 124
Join Date: January 25th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 17th 2009, 06:50 PM

People generally see being skinny a good thing. Even though yes, it can go over the line. There is a good kind of skinny (normal weight, toned etc) and a bad kind of skinny, however there is no good kind of being over weight.

As in, nobody would take "You're so obese!" as a compliment but many people would see "You're so skinny!" as a compliment.



If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires




   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Christinaa317o8 Offline
Christina
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Christinaa317o8's Avatar
 
Name: Christina
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: New York

Posts: 366
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 29th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 17th 2009, 07:11 PM

Actually I think that whether or not you're calling someone too skinny or fat, if you're saying these statements to make fun of an appearance then its wrong everytime.

Like said, skinny is considered a good thing and always will be.

I think that calling someone overweight is totally different than calling someone fat. Just like calling someone anorexic is different than calling someone skinny.

Because being overweight is an actual health issue that doctors adress to their patients, they don't sit there and call them fat.

So when somebody calls someone else "fat," half the time the person that they're talking to isn't even overweight by a pound.

When people call people skinny, half the time they're healthy and at the right weight, and not underweight at all.

I think makikng fun of someone's weight or appearance of weight is wrong and the judging should be left to the doctors because they have the medical degree and they know what they're talking about.

So basically, its not okay and it shouldn't be seen as okay by society.


Love is all we need. :]
FORMER [HelpLinkMentor][LiveHelpOperator]
  Send a message via AIM to Christinaa317o8  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Fraser Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Fraser's Avatar
 
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Posts: 123
Join Date: April 14th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 17th 2009, 07:12 PM

Being fat is ALWAYS going to be bad for you, where as skinny is more likely to be healthy. I think it has something to do with that.

Yes, i know you can be TOO skinny, but you see my point?
  Send a message via MSN to Fraser  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?
**********
 
bitesize's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Ireland

Posts: 3,944
Blog Entries: 321
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 17th 2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh182 View Post
Right, this is one thing I do not understand. How is it ok for someone to say your a twig, or your so skinny, yet not ok to say to someone your fat, chubby etc. I mean isnt it the same just opposites? I hear people saying your skinny to peoples faces more than your fat! Why is this ok?

Its like someone saying your so tall, why is it a good thing? Do people say to short people your so small? without offending them and getting a black eye?

Dicuss your views.
Oh My God!!! I fully agree with you. People seem to think it's ok to look you in the face and say 'oh my god, you're actually SO skinny...you're like a twig...' in this totally accusatory tone of voice that no one would EVER use to say 'oh my god...you're SO obese.'

It's still rude, like?¿ Espeically those people that somehow manage to make you feel really guilty for being the shape you are. We all know it's socially unnacceptable to refer to someone's weight to their face if they're overweight, but that seems to make it ok to do it as rudely as you like to those who aren't.

I get people telling me how small I am all the time. Literally about four times a day. It doesn't bother me at all because luckily I love being little, but i think it really would if I didn't.
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
ElToroLoco Offline
Sometimes fun costs you...
Average Joe
***
 
ElToroLoco's Avatar
 
Name: Zorro
Gender: Male
Location: Batcave

Posts: 123
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 17th 2009, 07:39 PM

skinny is considered attractive by society
fat isnt.




"I hate that my blood makes me crazy. I hate that I can't function without being chemically altered...
And inside I feel like tears are streaming down my cheeks. But they're not are they...
I'm so lost inside. I wish that i could get out. But I don't think I ever will..."
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while
********
 
St.Vincent's Avatar
 
Name: Edna
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere Across Forever

Posts: 1,269
Blog Entries: 102
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 18th 2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
Being fat is ALWAYS going to be bad for you, where as skinny is more likely to be healthy. I think it has something to do with that.

Yes, i know you can be TOO skinny, but you see my point?
Sadly, it's usually more of a health risk to be somewhat underweight than it is to be that much overweight.. Check it out.


I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

Last edited by St.Vincent; May 18th 2009 at 01:27 AM. Reason: edited out numbers :)
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MechanicGodCreation's Avatar
 

Posts: 289
Join Date: March 29th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 18th 2009, 02:15 AM

I actually don't appreciate being called a twig, or really skinny. Normally I see it as a negative thing, maybe that's just because I'm a guy but, thats my two cents
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 29
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,540
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 19th 2009, 07:23 PM

Here's a great example of what I believe:

You get an A on your report card. The "A" represents being skinny.

You get a C on your report card. The "C" represents being fat.

Obviously, people would congratulate you better if you received an "A" on your report card rather than receiving a "C" on your report card. Here's why:

In today's society, I believe that it's harder to be skinny than to be fat. We're surrounded by food EVERYWHERE. What makes matters worse is that the food is all the same, but now we're eating the food in large quantities. Example: McDonalds. Ever seen Super-Size me? I don't even have to explain myself there.

Being "fat" is simple. You eat the foods you want, when you want, and however you want. Then, you can take a nice little nap, or do something that requires little to no exercise.

Being "skinny" isn't. Sometimes you have to sacrifice all the foods that you usually eat for foods that you wouldn't eat in a million years, which (to my understanding) makes people depressed and want to give up. Some people are raised by a family who always eat healthy foods...which is absolutely fantastic because being skinny doesn't require as much work. Some people eat A LOT of foods, but they burn off more fat than they gain through exercise.

So people praise skinny people because it's not an easy thing to do.

Since a lot of people don't know HOW to lose weight and praise the skinny people too much, a lot of people either exercise without eating healthy or eat healthy but don't exercise, or they just don't eat at all (or just throw it back up).

This is just what I believe, with some sprinkled facts about reality.

   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
asphyxiated Offline
Next stop: Land of Sueños
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
asphyxiated's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female

Posts: 201
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: January 19th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 20th 2009, 10:41 PM

Society in general sees being thin as a complient, and views fat or chubby as an insult. If you're fat, its become bad, but in today's world, you can never be too skinny. I disagree with this. I think as long as you feel comfortable with who you are as a person, and are generally healthy all around, then you aren't too fat or too skinny.




   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
losing touch.'s Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 5,996
Blog Entries: 537
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 20th 2009, 11:12 PM

well most people see being called thin as a compliment. or like someone commenting that you've lost weight, you take it as a confidence boost, well i do anyway.

if someone called me fat i'd be pretty upset whereas if someone called me skinny [not that they would] i'd definitely take it as a compliment.

Most people in society, especially girls, aspire to be thin.

as i've never been skinny myself i haven't experienced people commenting on it. i don't think theres anything wrong with saying it in a nice way like.. "you look really slim" or something similar.. but if you're gunna be like "omgahh you need to eat some food because you just look anorexic!" then i can see how it might upset people.

as for the height thing, i'm small and get called small all the time, can't say i mind.. because i love being small :]


..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..



   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lugez's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 929
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 20th 2009, 11:52 PM

Because being fat is considered to be unhealthy, and less attractive in our current society. Skinny, on the other hand, is healthy and more attractive.

I think this applies more to girls than guys though.

As a guy, I would never really want to be called skinny. I want to be bigger than average in terms of strength and such. I'm a short guy already, so I don't want to be short AND skinny....That would just make me puny. And no man wants to be puny.
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough
*********
 
Magical Forest.'s Avatar
 
Name: Hannah
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 2,939
Blog Entries: 676
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 20th 2009, 11:52 PM

It frustrates me that the first things people judge other people by is looks and weight. My sister automatically looks at someone and goes "ugh she's fat" or "wow she's so skinny" and it irritates me so much. Why can't people see past what people look like and judge people for who they are?

x
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Christinaa317o8 Offline
Christina
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Christinaa317o8's Avatar
 
Name: Christina
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: New York

Posts: 366
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 29th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 20th 2009, 11:55 PM

[quote=asphyxiated;145078]Society in general sees being thin as a complient, and views fat or chubby as an insult. If you're fat, its become bad, but in today's world, you can never be too skinny. I disagree with this. I think as long as you feel comfortable with who you are as a person, and are generally healthy all around, then you aren't too fat or too skinny.[/quote]

deffiniately well said. =]


Love is all we need. :]
FORMER [HelpLinkMentor][LiveHelpOperator]
  Send a message via AIM to Christinaa317o8  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Pelios's Avatar
 
Name: Andrea
Gender: Female
Location: México

Posts: 3,691
Blog Entries: 48
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 24th 2009, 06:22 AM

I know, I've always had people call me skinny and everything, but you never hear people calling others fat or obese. Sociey makes it seen forbidden to call people fat.


Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Guy_Fawkes Offline
Super Guy
Not a n00b
**
 
Guy_Fawkes's Avatar
 
Name: Axel
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Orlando, FL

Posts: 56
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 27th 2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Being "fat" is simple. You eat the foods you want, when you want, and however you want. Then, you can take a nice little nap, or do something that requires little to no exercise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I believe that it's harder to be skinny than to be fat.

My 2 cents: Sure you can go ahead & eat the foods you want, when you want, and however you want. That's not gonna make you fat, I've been eating my heart out everyday for years & I'm a TWIG. It's easy to be skinny




  Send a message via AIM to Guy_Fawkes Send a message via MSN to Guy_Fawkes Send a message via Yahoo to Guy_Fawkes  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 24
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,685
Blog Entries: 121
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 27th 2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
Being fat is ALWAYS going to be bad for you, where as skinny is more likely to be healthy. I think it has something to do with that.

Yes, i know you can be TOO skinny, but you see my point?
But there is also a point where one becomes so skinny that it is unhealthy.
And I think the problem is that society has a terrible definition of "skinny." I have never once heard that it means healthy, instead I've heard it means sexy, attractive, etc. There is such thing as a HEALTHY weight, and there is such thing as to skinny. The problem is that people see no in between - you're either super skinny, or super overweight. But that's not the way it should be, and it simply damages the confidence and self esteem of many.





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough
*********
 
Anomaly's Avatar
 
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 2,449
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 27th 2009, 10:18 PM

Most people like skinny and dont like fat. Skinny is socialby aceptable and fat isent. I think it also has to do with the way its said. If its said in the form of and insult they both can ge bad.


   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 29
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,540
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 28th 2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
My 2 cents: Sure you can go ahead & eat the foods you want, when you want, and however you want. That's not gonna make you fat, I've been eating my heart out everyday for years & I'm a TWIG. It's easy to be skinny
You may not have an enzyme called MGAT2, which regulates how much of your consumed food turns into fat, and how much your food turns into energy. Without it, you can eat whatever you want and never have to worry about it.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/di...ve-the-answer/

I don't stand 100% behind that information, but that's the only conclusion that I can come up with about why you can eat a lot and not gain any fat.

So, most people really can't eat whatever they want and get away with it.
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?
**********
 
WashoutThePain's Avatar
 
Name: Ask Away!
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere to be found

Posts: 4,749
Blog Entries: 377
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 28th 2009, 01:17 AM

Moving to Debates Forum...


   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
SillyEvee's Avatar
 
Name: EV
Age: 27
Gender: None
Location: Now

Posts: 511
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 28th 2009, 04:12 AM

I really agree with Brandon on this one. Being skinny is harder in today's society. Skinny people get praised for succeeding in being skinny because it takes work.

Fortunately, other societies and this society in other times have had a vision of beautiful bodyweight that lined up well with healthy bodyweight. I'm just waiting for those days to come back...I'll be the prettiest girl in school!

EV


--EV--
Congrats Canada's Juniors! 5 in a row!
Last Sunday morning, the sunshine felt like rain.
Week before, they all seemed the same.
And oh, I ain't wastin' time no more
Cause time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things.
--The Allman Brothers Band


Things seem impossible until you start to do them.

PM me anytime. I love to talk. :]
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 28th 2009, 04:37 AM

I don't think every skinny person enjoys being called skinny, likewise for fat people. However, ignoring the health aspects, in today's Western society, thinness is valued over fatness. There's shitloads of garbage foods out there, more sophisticated technology to promote physical laziness, etc..., and with an increasing rate of obesity, being thin is becoming more challenging. So, it seems to be a compliment when someone says "you're skinny" because a) your appearence is valued by society and b) your appearance is hard to get and maintain.

However, there are limits. If you're too skinny, then your appearance isn't valued as much and being called skinny can be taken as more insulting because the person may know that they seem to not be valued for their looks anymore.

From a more health-related standpoint, ideally, people want to be thinner but not to a point where it's unhealthy. This valued thinness may be the same or approximately the same as the thinness that is healthy.

However, even if one is at a valued thinness, being called skinny can still be an insult, either a misinterpreted one by the thin person or it can be a direct, intentional insult.
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Gidig's Avatar
 
Name: Maria
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 2,123
Blog Entries: 390
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 28th 2009, 05:28 PM

Around here it's not okay to call someone really skinny. Really, you'd probably get like jumped or something. Which is like, the only considerate thing that happens around me.

In other places though, it is socially acceptable to be skinny and not fat.



The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while
********
 
Toast's Avatar
 
Name: Toast
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,285
Join Date: January 9th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 28th 2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Here's a great example of what I believe:

You get an A on your report card. The "A" represents being skinny.

You get a C on your report card. The "C" represents being fat.

Obviously, people would congratulate you better if you received an "A" on your report card rather than receiving a "C" on your report card. Here's why:

In today's society, I believe that it's harder to be skinny than to be fat. We're surrounded by food EVERYWHERE. What makes matters worse is that the food is all the same, but now we're eating the food in large quantities. Example: McDonalds. Ever seen Super-Size me? I don't even have to explain myself there.

Being "fat" is simple. You eat the foods you want, when you want, and however you want. Then, you can take a nice little nap, or do something that requires little to no exercise.

Being "skinny" isn't. Sometimes you have to sacrifice all the foods that you usually eat for foods that you wouldn't eat in a million years, which (to my understanding) makes people depressed and want to give up. Some people are raised by a family who always eat healthy foods...which is absolutely fantastic because being skinny doesn't require as much work. Some people eat A LOT of foods, but they burn off more fat than they gain through exercise.

So people praise skinny people because it's not an easy thing to do.

Since a lot of people don't know HOW to lose weight and praise the skinny people too much, a lot of people either exercise without eating healthy or eat healthy but don't exercise, or they just don't eat at all (or just throw it back up).

This is just what I believe, with some sprinkled facts about reality.

First of all, being underweight is bad where as getting an "A" isn't. Actually, your example can be used however, because both results are either the way you are OR how hard you try. I'm muscular so I'm a tiny bit overweight according to my BMI, however I'm actually healthy because muscle weighs more than fat. Also, I don't really even try in school yet my overall average is over 90%. Some people try really hard in school but they just aren't smart enough. Some people have a faster or slower metabolism.

Anyway, I've been called fat before because apparently it's an insult, except I'm not fat so I didn't care. I don't really think being either fat or skinny is an insult, it can be just a description. It really annoys me when I brag about how my thighs are big and people tell me not to say that about myself. It just means my legs are much more powerful


Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 29
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,540
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 28th 2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
First of all, being underweight is bad where as getting an "A" isn't. Actually, your example can be used however, because both results are either the way you are OR how hard you try. I'm muscular so I'm a tiny bit overweight according to my BMI, however I'm actually healthy because muscle weighs more than fat. Also, I don't really even try in school yet my overall average is over 90%. Some people try really hard in school but they just aren't smart enough. Some people have a faster or slower metabolism.

Anyway, I've been called fat before because apparently it's an insult, except I'm not fat so I didn't care. I don't really think being either fat or skinny is an insult, it can be just a description. It really annoys me when I brag about how my thighs are big and people tell me not to say that about myself. It just means my legs are much more powerful
I know, there's a lot of factors about people who are skinny and fat. According to my BMI, I'm morbidly OBESE! BMI is full of shit because it's not accurate at all. I don't judge a person by their weight, and I definitely don't judge someone by their BMI, I judge people by their ability to do things. I can play basketball just fine, I can swim faster than 99% percent of the people that challenge me (I just don't last a long time), etc.

I'm referring to "fat" people as people who are over-weight, and don't do any activities.
   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Faye. Offline
maybe this time...
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Faye.'s Avatar
 
Name: Faye
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 322
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 28th 2009, 11:54 PM

Just thought I'd add in this: what society tends to think is attractive is something that is less attainable. So when food was scarce people wanted to be chubbier and now food is plentiful and full of fat thin is in.
Like someone said earlier it's usually harder to be skinny so people congratulate people on it.


Feel free to PM me

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think its forever
-Carl Sagan




  Send a message via MSN to Faye. Send a message via Skype™ to Faye. 
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
TheWhiteTornado's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 26
Gender: Male

Posts: 786
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 29th 2009, 01:53 AM

I guess it's seen by society that being skinny is acceptable when it's just as bad as being overweight. People, however, take "acceptable" as meaning that it's a good thing. Personally I'm on the lighter side (by a lot ) and it really stings when someone comments on how skinny I am simply because I get it a lot and people just assume "oh, i'm sure he's fine with it".


"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen
   
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough
*********
 
Casey.'s Avatar
 
Name: Casey
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in my mind

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 337
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 29th 2009, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Being "fat" is simple. You eat the foods you want, when you want, and however you want. Then, you can take a nice little nap, or do something that requires little to no exercise.

Right. People who are overweight, are just lazy then? No. I don't agree with you at all. And I shall get to that in a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Being "skinny" isn't. Sometimes you have to sacrifice all the foods that you usually eat for foods that you wouldn't eat in a million years, which (to my understanding) makes people depressed and want to give up. Some people are raised by a family who always eat healthy foods...which is absolutely fantastic because being skinny doesn't require as much work. Some people eat A LOT of foods, but they burn off more fat than they gain through exercise.

So people praise skinny people because it's not an easy thing to do.

My sister was underweight, yet she ate everything in sight and she doesn't believe in exercise.

I do have a point here.I could eat whatever I wanted, sure. I would probably not gain weight. I could eat healthy and exercise like mad, and I still wouldn't lose any weight. People's bodies are different. You can't lump all overweight people to being lazy and eating like crazy. You can't say all skinny people work hard for it. I know several who do not work hard toward it at all, they just eat, and never gain a pound.

Skinny, at least here, if used in a non-condescending manner, can stand to mean hot, attractive, and skinny is often desired. However, where I live, a lot of people, guys really, prefer heavier women. They tell the women that they have "fat asses" or "Donks" and sometimes it's seen as a compliment. Because well, sometimes they say it to mean they find you attractive. I personally hate it, but some people here do not.

Also, the short thing. Well in the words of my friend, when someone calls her short "I am not short, I am fun-sized."


She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.


Smile through the tears.


PM me

  Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lorelei's Avatar
 
Name: Laura
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: in my own thoughts

Posts: 801
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 29th 2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Like said, skinny is considered a good thing and always will be.
Just thought I'd quickly point out that this isn't necessarily true. Once upon a time, men and women with extra fat were considered beautiful and skinny people were considered pathetic. There was even a time when obesity was the "in" thing.

Body types go in and out of vogue, just like everything else. They're stupid and unfair but they're a reality that we just have to deal with.


"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine
   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 29
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,540
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 29th 2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Right. People who are overweight, are just lazy then? No. I don't agree with you at all. And I shall get to that in a second.

My sister was underweight, yet she ate everything in sight and she doesn't believe in exercise.

I do have a point here.I could eat whatever I wanted, sure. I would probably not gain weight. I could eat healthy and exercise like mad, and I still wouldn't lose any weight. People's bodies are different. You can't lump all overweight people to being lazy and eating like crazy. You can't say all skinny people work hard for it. I know several who do not work hard toward it at all, they just eat, and never gain a pound.

Skinny, at least here, if used in a non-condescending manner, can stand to mean hot, attractive, and skinny is often desired. However, where I live, a lot of people, guys really, prefer heavier women. They tell the women that they have "fat asses" or "Donks" and sometimes it's seen as a compliment. Because well, sometimes they say it to mean they find you attractive. I personally hate it, but some people here do not.

Also, the short thing. Well in the words of my friend, when someone calls her short "I am not short, I am fun-sized."
Sorry, I guess I haven't really explained enough. I agree with everything you've said because I have the exact viewpoints. We have the exact viewpoints because it's the truth. I understand ALL ABOUT that shit. According to BMI, I am morbidly obese. People either say to me that I'm either "a little bit over-weight" or "not fat". As I explained in my previous post, I'm not trying to say that all fat people are lazy. That wasn't my intention, at least. There are a handful of legit reasons why some people are fat. Sometimes it's things they CAN control with normal effort, sometimes there's things they CAN control but require more effort than normal, and sometimes there's things that you can't control. I know all about that stuff because I've done a lot of research about this stuff.

I'm just talking about the actual fat people, who do eat a lot of food, and don't do anything about it. I'd rather be fat and run every couple days than be fat and sit on my ass all day, y' know what I'm saying? Should of said all this in my post...but it's my fault so I apologize.

I also know that all guys have different preferences. Hell, I don't like skinny women more than I like women who have curves. A woman with a big butt isn't what I call fat, I call that "gahhhhhhhh dayum"
   
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Gidig's Avatar
 
Name: Maria
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 2,123
Blog Entries: 390
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 29th 2009, 05:21 AM

Blehmehshme.

Yes, that's now a word.

I feel like if someone wants to sit on their ass and do nothing all day, and then you're still able to judge them? We all have our faults. Some more obvious than others. Some bigger than others. I just feel like weight is put so much over other things.

I guess another thing, is it's usually not "Oh, that person really needs to be more health with their life" (Which, really is their choice and it isn't hurting anyone besides themselves [Millian Harm Principle - look it up if you don't know what it is. It's my hero sometimes]) but people say "Oh my f*cking god look how FAT that person is!" And then makes these goggling eyes somewhat like --> O_O
And suddenly the overweight person is nothing more than a bunch of flab.

I hope that partially made sense.



The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lorelei's Avatar
 
Name: Laura
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: in my own thoughts

Posts: 801
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 29th 2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
Blehmehshme.

Yes, that's now a word.

I feel like if someone wants to sit on their ass and do nothing all day, and then you're still able to judge them? We all have our faults. Some more obvious than others. Some bigger than others. I just feel like weight is put so much over other things.

I guess another thing, is it's usually not "Oh, that person really needs to be more health with their life" (Which, really is their choice and it isn't hurting anyone besides themselves [Millian Harm Principle - look it up if you don't know what it is. It's my hero sometimes]) but people say "Oh my f*cking god look how FAT that person is!" And then makes these goggling eyes somewhat like --> O_O
And suddenly the overweight person is nothing more than a bunch of flab.

I hope that partially made sense.
That made total sense to me. I hate when people are pigeonholed because of body type. It's the most pointless thing to judge someone on.


"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine
   
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough
*********
 
Acheron's Avatar
 
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Laying traps for troubadours

Posts: 2,096
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 30th 2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
[Millian Harm Principle - look it up if you don't know what it is. It's my hero sometimes]
I agree with a lot of what you said, but not this. While J.S. Mill (one of my heroes too) believed that governments should restrict themselves to only banning things that harm other people, he also believed that people could and should condemn the actions of others even if they shouldn't use the state to prevent those actions. He may have been one of the foremost liberal thinkers, but he was also a Victorian moralist.

Sorry to nitpick, but I just couldn't resist.
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Gidig's Avatar
 
Name: Maria
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 2,123
Blog Entries: 390
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 30th 2009, 09:01 AM

Aw man, I only followed like half of that. It may be because I'm tired, but do you mind rewording?



The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

   
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough
*********
 
udontno's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda Kate
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: VA, USA

Posts: 3,039
Blog Entries: 24
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 30th 2009, 01:05 PM

Personally, I hate how people tend to look at people and automatically notice if they are fat or not. I'm what I like to call "fluffy" which is probably an exaggeration. But, I'm not a skinny girl and I generally like being this way. There have been times where I haven't liked it, and there still are. But I deal with it.

I see that people are more inclined to skinny girls everyday. It just seems to be that way, at least in my personal life. Do I like it? Of course not. But I can't stop people, you know?


--A
   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough
*********
 
Acheron's Avatar
 
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Laying traps for troubadours

Posts: 2,096
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 30th 2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
Aw man, I only followed like half of that. It may be because I'm tired, but do you mind rewording?
Sorry. I'll reword it for you.

The government shouldn't ban things unless they harm other people, but if you don't like what someone is doing, criticise them as much as you like.

Basically what J.S. Mill said.
   
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 30th 2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
Personally, I hate how people tend to look at people and automatically notice if they are fat or not.
Unfortunately, people have eyes, generally they work, so it's rather hard not to see someone who is taller, shorter, skinnier, fatter, etc... . It's just like looking at a cube. You'll notice if one is bigger or not. If you want them to not notice, then either don't let anyone see you or have people be blind. Otherwise, you'll have to live with the fact that people have working eyes and a working brain.
   
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Gidig's Avatar
 
Name: Maria
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 2,123
Blog Entries: 390
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - May 30th 2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
Sorry. I'll reword it for you.

The government shouldn't ban things unless they harm other people, but if you don't like what someone is doing, criticise them as much as you like.

Basically what J.S. Mill said.
Thanks. Yeah, that makes sense (I'm going to have to look into it a little more now).



The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Magic.'s Avatar
 
Name: Poppy
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Brisbane

Posts: 1,441
Join Date: January 16th 2009

Re: Skinny(Slim) Vs Fat(Obese) - June 1st 2009, 06:17 PM

I am both skinny and short. I HATE it when people say things like "you're a twig", it upsets me, more so than people calling me short.
I think it's because most people who say those things badger me about having an ED when I don't. I hate the fact that skinniness automatically suggests that you have an ED, some people are just naturally skinny!! Weight is something that can be controlled and if you badger someone about it it can lead to EDs.I had a friend who got an ED because people kept saying she was "soo skinny", she hated it and so started binge eating all the time to gain weight. I don't think people should be judged on their weight at all, it's just not nice. Blarg rant over.

[As for my shortness, I have dealt with the fact that I am not going 'up' anytime soon ... ]


You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
fatobese, skinnyslim

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.