TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Trump - April 24th 2016, 01:31 AM

What do you think of Trump? It seems pretty likely that he's gonna get the nomination so what are your thoughts?

We talk about him a great deal in my American Studies class (It's basically a class that discusses race and racism in America) and a lot of topics relate to Trump. We recently just discussed 'Hate Persuaders' and how Trump does all that is necessary to count as one of these people.

I don't know. I know there are people that believe Trump is going to make America great again but I just feel like he is using fear and hate to unite people (Some of what we talked about Monday)

I suppose I have strong opinions about this but I probably won't debate much. Just want to get honest opinions, whether you are for or against.

(I actually tried not to make this thread but after a discussion I had on another site I got curious)

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Trump - April 24th 2016, 02:07 AM

I should totally be writing up a paper that's due tonight about social play among dogs but just thought I'd chime in.

I am in a similar boat as I am taking a class called "Multi-ethnic literature" and we explore the different ethnic minority experiences through literature. My professor brings up Trump a lot. We looked at this NY times that discusses the demographics of who is most likely to vote for him. We talked about the fact that these people who support him are poor to middle class who are frustrated and need someone to blame and someone to come save them and this is a very similar situation when Hitler had risen to power. We also talked about how the article discusses that people who believe they're "American" by putting that as their ancestry are more likely to support Trump. In other words, it is those who do not recognize that we are all immigrants to the United States in some form or another and they identify as sort of 'original Americans' so to speak and therefore tend to be very intolerant towards different groups of people.

Honestly, both Trump and Clinton are very scary creatures to me. I know some people say at least Clinton isn't racist and whatnot but she is very scary to me too. I don't know which is worse.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MrCross Offline
The Enlightened
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Andy

Re: Trump - April 24th 2016, 02:56 AM

Trump is a Fascist plain and simple.

A man who was born with a silver spoon, but feels that he can relate to the poor, saying he knows about hardship even though his daddy gave him a million dollars. He is one of the biggest manipulators I have seen ever run for President and I know this because as they say it takes one to know one. Every speech he has, every rally he speaks at its the same thing over and over again. He speaks all these big words and idea's that he knows will get his supporters happy, and they are too busy cheering and screaming to realize that he has never once said how he would accomplish any of the crap he is spouting. He has failed to identify anything he would do for our country, he knows nothing about our military power or how to protect it, he talks about how he is going to make other countries build these huge walls yet never says how he would do this.

Trump is hatred personified, Making America Great Again is nothing more then another way of saying that he is going to allow the racism we already have and the bigotry to flourish even more. If he had his way he would send every mixed ethnicity our of the United States because according to his views thats one of the biggest problems in our country... diversity. I agree that Trump is just another form of Hitler, back in that time Hitler used big words and Propaganda to gain his power and then he used it for his own personal goals.

Trump is no different he is playing off what people want, and is using mass propaganda to gain the power he needs to accomplish his own sick goals. Anyways that is my opinion on the matter.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
eat sleep rave repeat
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: REDACTED

Re: Trump - April 24th 2016, 10:11 AM

It's upsetting but unsurprising that he's performing well in the primaries. There are essentially two trends within Trump voters. One is, as you guys are talking about, the frustrated white Christian middle-class-or-lower voter who is disillusioned with the political system and is likely to support a maverick. If anything it should be people like Trump, members of the super-rich corporate class, that this person should be angry with, but instead of evaluating the situation critically they blame religious minorities and immigrants for their problems. Trump's campaign is above all else a populist one, he seeks to rile people's emotions, particularly appealing to their distrust of others.

The other kind of Trump supporter is a very ideological one. The grassroots of the Republican Party is beginning to move further right than it already was towards a realm of political thought known as the "alt-right". Those on the alt-right tend to be very far-right in their thinking, they support white nationalism and reactionary movements and oppose multiculturalism, feminism, LGBTQ rights, etc. Basically, the kind of ideas you see espoused on /pol/ on 4chan or by the most extreme anti-SJWs. This form of thinking is especially prevalent among younger Republicans, who are increasingly resistant to being persuaded by mainstream conservatism.

Ultimately I still think that if Trump gets the Republican nomination, he will lose to the Democratic nominee. I believe that Sanders has a better chance of beating him however. Clinton seems to have no real momentum behind her so all she'd really have on her side would be the anti-Trump protest vote.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Trump - April 24th 2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:BreakingBeautifully:. View Post
We recently just discussed 'Hate Persuaders' and how Trump does all that is necessary to count as one of these people.

I don't know. I know there are people that believe Trump is going to make America great again but I just feel like he is using fear and hate to unite people (Some of what we talked about Monday)
I agree 100%.

I generally do not support completely free movement, open borders, political correctness, or any of that. Most people here probably know that already it seems, so I won't go on about it.

I am not American, and out of quite a few countries that I've been to, America has not been one of them. So I don't know how much there is I can say on this topic because I don't follow it closely enough. I don't know the situation over there, and if there is any "migration crisis" which might warrant a response as has been happening in Europe. But my first impressions have been exactly what you said, pretty much from the beginning.

There are better ways about implementing change than inspiring hatred in people to fuel it. He has no modesty whatsoever. I don't like most of his supporters, and frankly I don't like most of his opposition either. Explanation: there's too much hate all over the place, right and left, in response to him. Nonetheless, I hold individuals responsible for their actions. So whether it is a right winger talking shit about black people, or a left winger attacking trump supporters and throwing bottles at them or whatever, I don't blame Trump for it. But in my opinion, he is in many ways a bad influence. Too much scaremongering too, left and right. That is also irritating, but it goes hand-in-hand with any controversy. Same is happening in the UK now with the "Brexit".

Just don't allow yourself to get influenced by it. Don't get angry at him, or his supporters. I am not quoting myself as a shining example of this at all, but it is something worth thinking about. By allowing people like Trump to influence your emotions, you are in effect allowing him to have an element of control over you. Whether you do or do not support him, whether you are right or left wing, makes little difference.
Every assault on his supporters at one of his speeches furthers his cause. Multiply that "element of control" over you, by several tens of millions of people, and suddenly it is something pretty significant and powerful. That's what manipulation is about.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; April 24th 2016 at 12:11 PM.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Trump - April 24th 2016, 06:53 PM

As for the whole "political correctness" thing...I love how Trump (and some of the other candidates) make it into liberals censoring them when they just want to "tell the truth". But being bigoted toward others or calling them names or being intolerant is not "telling the truth", it's being blatantly disrespectful and insensitive towards others. I'm not trying to keep people from "telling the truth" when I speak up for PC -- I'm trying to keep people from being hurtful towards others.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Re: Trump - April 24th 2016, 09:53 PM

I am not a fan of Trump for a number of reasons, and most of you guys have stated fairly reasonable reasons not to support him above and I agree completely.

He's a business man, and its a country we're dealing with here, not a company.
He says just about anything to get him publicity.

I agree, we as a country should try to unite in a positive way, not by hatred.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#8 (permalink)) Old
PingPongLover26 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Zachary

Re: Trump - April 25th 2016, 02:37 PM

I find it absolutely hilarious of the fact that he could literally say anything and it always gains him more voters.

Closed Thread