TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Question Why do we feel this way? - May 18th 2009, 04:30 AM

Okay this is just something that I've been wondering about for a while, so tell me your thoughts and opinions, please.

At school we were learning about natural selection and the people behind the theory, etc. Well, one really stood out in my mind. I dont remember who thought of it but it went like this "Every living thing has some sort of limiting factor--natural selection--to control its population and such. But humans are the exception because of, their intelligence and ability to adapt to things so easily. So, for humans, things like plague and sickness, hunger, war, natural disasters, cancer, etc, are like nature's way of controlling human population."

That got me thinking if maybe, things like depression and suicide are another "limiting factor" for people. If you think about it, the way our lives, our society is, in comparison to the rest of nature, we have a lot of time to think and when we do that, our mind can look at every little thing, find all the bad things, etc, and voila, depression.

This whole thing feels kind of confusing to me, so I'm sorry if its confusing you too. But where I'm going is, why does it seem like every seemingly little thing is enough to hurt us? Because I want to blame my parents for some of my faults. I want to say that because of what they did, how they act, is the reason why I am the way I am. But...I also feel like I should be stronger, like all these small mundane things shouldn't be enough to screw me up. Is it just that subtle limiting factor nature has put on us?

Again, sorry if that was incoherent.

Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.

Music is life. Start living.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Why do we feel this way? - May 18th 2009, 05:07 AM

That's an interesting theory. Perhaps ability to cope is a type of adaption that some possess and some do not, thus it is a population limiting factor.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Why do we feel this way? - May 18th 2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_crossd View Post
Okay this is just something that I've been wondering about for a while, so tell me your thoughts and opinions, please.

At school we were learning about natural selection and the people behind the theory, etc. Well, one really stood out in my mind. I dont remember who thought of it but it went like this "Every living thing has some sort of limiting factor--natural selection--to control its population and such. But humans are the exception because of, their intelligence and ability to adapt to things so easily. So, for humans, things like plague and sickness, hunger, war, natural disasters, cancer, etc, are like nature's way of controlling human population."

That got me thinking if maybe, things like depression and suicide are another "limiting factor" for people. If you think about it, the way our lives, our society is, in comparison to the rest of nature, we have a lot of time to think and when we do that, our mind can look at every little thing, find all the bad things, etc, and voila, depression.

This whole thing feels kind of confusing to me, so I'm sorry if its confusing you too. But where I'm going is, why does it seem like every seemingly little thing is enough to hurt us? Because I want to blame my parents for some of my faults. I want to say that because of what they did, how they act, is the reason why I am the way I am. But...I also feel like I should be stronger, like all these small mundane things shouldn't be enough to screw me up. Is it just that subtle limiting factor nature has put on us?

Not really sure but there are a lot of scientists that say that religion gives us that coping mechanism. A part of our brain is actually is responsible for feelings having to do with supernatural phenomenon. And like I said before... a lot of people would commit suicide if they didn't have religion. A lot of people have no point in living their lives without religion; my mother is one of those people, heh. I ain't.
  Send a message via AIM to Gram Negative  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Re: Why do we feel this way? - May 19th 2009, 04:07 AM

Religion is a coping factor, though. Have you ever heard the saying "there are no atheists in foxholes" ?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: Why do we feel this way? - May 19th 2009, 04:10 AM

Yeah, I have actually. Religion IS a good coping mechanism. But for some people, like me, religion is just...its not a part of my life whatsoever.

Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.

Music is life. Start living.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Why do we feel this way? - May 19th 2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Religion is a coping factor, though. Have you ever heard the saying "there are no atheists in foxholes" ?
I'm so bad at understanding sayings. What does that mean?

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#7 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Name: Will

Re: Why do we feel this way? - May 19th 2009, 07:28 AM

The Nazis warped the idea of 'naturial selection' into there own twisted views. Basicly picking out the weakest from the strongest.
  Send a message via MSN to ThrashAttack  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Why do we feel this way? - May 19th 2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
It means that to cope with the circumstances that soldiers go through they turn to religion.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Why do we feel this way? - May 19th 2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_crossd View Post

That's something I thought about a lot when I was severely depressed, and I still do sometimes. I also think other mental, emotional, and societal issues limit our population-- intolerance, ignorance, stupidity, lack of awareness...

I don't think keeping our population down is necessarily nature's doing. It's a combination of factors, IMO. Diseases and natural disasters are nature at work. War is the ignorant and intolerant gambling with the lives of others. That's not really natural selection so much as it is a matter of probability.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

Last edited by Lorelei; May 19th 2009 at 10:18 PM.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Why do we feel this way? - May 20th 2009, 01:13 AM

Yes and no. It could be a limiting factor - but I also don't feel like it is what we allow it to be.

Just as a disease, if we can treat it, why shouldn't we? Depression - you can overcome.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Re: Why do we feel this way? - May 20th 2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
It pretty much means when things are so gruesome and terrible and hopeless, such as sitting in a foxhole as your friends die around you in a war, there is no way to cope other than to cling onto something such as religion and keep believing that a higher power can by some miracle get you out of that mess...

Closed Thread