TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Divided States of America - August 5th 2016, 07:05 PM

I wanted to put a provocative topic on the table, which I haven't seen anyone talking about.

What if America threatens to break apart under the influence of political turmoil?

I'm just following trends. The EU is going through a bit of a crisis after the UK left. Scotland also wants to leave the UK now, in favor of joining the EU (although from what I heard, they got initially declined by the EU, although I might be wrong).

This has all happened under the large influence of migration policies seen by many people as harmful. I understand that America is going through a similar crisis regarding Mexico.

I really doubt America would break up... but the slight threat of it happening could be enough to cause havoc and cannibalize the economy of a country which has been united for hundreds of years. If Trump loses, and America maintains it's attitude towards migration, what might happen is that divisions will grow further, and someone could pick up where Trump left off, and go even further by suggesting that some states might do better on their own (even if might not be true, it could be effective political propaganda).

I say this bearing in mind the situation in Europe. The situation has been volatile enough with 1.5 million uncontrolled migrants just in the past year. If negotiations don't work out with Turkey, and another few million are allowed to pass into Europe... things could fall apart. Even Eastern Europe might opt to leave, given that the money they're receiving now would likely be re-allocated to somehow cope with the migrant crisis instead.

Now I don't know enough about details of American politics to figure out how possible this is, or which states might be more likely to pursue such agendas, and how the details of it would work. I'm thinking people here might know better. Something perhaps worth thinking about.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; August 5th 2016 at 07:45 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Brendenjensen Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Brenden Jensen

Re: Divided States of America - August 5th 2016, 08:10 PM

Don't worry, something like this will never happen.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Divided States of America - August 6th 2016, 12:59 AM

I could see this happening with some of the more stereotypical conservative southern States.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BayernManiac3 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Divided States of America - August 6th 2016, 02:51 AM

States aren't actually allowed to secede from the country. That's why the civil war happened not slavery. The union said the states couldn't leave and the states disagreed so they went to war. That's a very simple summary but it will suffice.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Divided States of America - August 6th 2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayernManiac3 View Post
States aren't actually allowed to secede from the country. That's why the civil war happened not slavery. The union said the states couldn't leave and the states disagreed so they went to war. That's a very simple summary but it will suffice.
I thought it was something else, but I wasn't taught this at school. Was probably several things, as usually is the case.

The idea occurred to me mainly because since the UK voted to leave the EU (which, isn't so entirely "shocking" really), petitions asking for London to leave the UK have gained a lot of traction. Of course, I think the chances of it happening are minuscule, but if any politician feels like seizing on this to boost their reputation, they might propose it.

It helps to know some statistics. The referendum vote to leave the UK was about 52% in favor of leaving, 48% in favor staying. A large majority of London voted to stay. The rest of the country generally favored leaving.

Just how likely it is for London to leave the UK and join EU, not very. But, the current mayor of London is Labor (left-wing), and is fighting for more autonomy regarding government spending in his city. Under the current conservative (right-wing) government, there is not a chance in hell this will happen. But if Labor (which has shattered itself after numerous scandals) gets it's shit together... it could. These are pretty fine details of what is going on.

If the London mayor is allowed to manage spending in the city largely without any controls from higher-up... then it could get very turbulent. It's a lot of leverage. I can see this as a stepping stone to numerous other problems.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Divided States of America - August 6th 2016, 12:40 PM

Somewhat ironically, I found this:

http://www.americasfreedomfighters.c...over-country/#

Anyway, pulling this quote out says what I think of it:
Quote:
This delusional sociopath truly believes he and the other domestic terrorist groups are taking over the 5 southern states to create their own nation.

I'm not trying to digress and say anything about BLM here. Black Panthers have always been nutcases as far as I know, and for much longer. Mostly a separate issue in my opinion (although not entirely unrelated). I'm just illustrating that this kind of rhetoric (in a general sense) isn't entirely fictional. Besides, the entire article could even be lie as far as I know. I've been unable to confirm it with other sources.

Last edited by BDF; August 6th 2016 at 02:57 PM.

Closed Thread