TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sen Vanos Offline
That One Guy
Not a n00b

Name: Sen

Angry Reverse sexism (Please move to an appropriate place) - August 9th 2016, 09:06 PM

I generally don't complain about these things and let it slide, but this takes the cake.

(Btw, can someone please move this to an appropriate place? I have no clue where this should go.)

Literally sexist things EVERYWHERE. A sign in a store, I kid you not, stated: "Men end all relationships.". It was a fucking respectable store as well! I mean, really mate?

I've literally been turned down to enter a store because I'm a man. I wanted to buy a present for mother's day for fuck's sake. Due to them I had to buy a gift card, which is literally the worst present ever. To add insult to injury, the women running the store scolded me and laughed at me. This isn't all. A postern on a lantern post said: "Stop sexism, kill all men!". Seriously, I'm not even joking.

Last edited by Melancholia.; August 9th 2016 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Moving to more appropriate forum. :)

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1247216 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Em. Offline
I don't even like cats
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Reverse sexism (Please move to an appropriate place) - August 9th 2016, 09:16 PM

It winds me up too! This magazine had an article about sexism against women and was saying how women are not objects but the next article was loads of pictures of mens bulges in their Olympic trunks and saying disgusting things. If people really want feminism to succeed then it has to be understood that feminism is equality for ALL genders and saying women are better than men is not feminism at all.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Reverse sexism (Please move to an appropriate place) - August 9th 2016, 09:19 PM

There is no such thing as "reverse sexism", it's just sexism.

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Elision Offline
Formerly Pan221
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Reverse sexism (Please move to an appropriate place) - August 9th 2016, 09:25 PM

This really annoys me as well. It does nothing for the real feminine cause of equality for all genders, and it turns women into the femininist stereotype that everyone hates. I honestly think this is a problem that needs to be addressed. I keep reading articles about the sexism men face, and the sterotypes they fell they have to live up to and I don't see how this is any different than the issue women are facing. I think the feminist cause should become more vocal about stopping ALL forms of sexism, and call people out on posters and articles like that. It seems as the feminist cause increases, the equality one diminishes.

I am inimitable, I am an original

If you cannot reach me to fly, teach me to sing

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Dominant Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Dom

Re: Reverse sexism (Please move to an appropriate place) - August 10th 2016, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em. View Post
It winds me up too! This magazine had an article about sexism against women and was saying how women are not objects but the next article was loads of pictures of mens bulges in their Olympic trunks and saying disgusting things. If people really want feminism to succeed then it has to be understood that feminism is equality for ALL genders and saying women are better than men is not feminism at all.
Feminism is not about equality. It is a movement about control. All colleges in the USA have a mandatory gender studies course and in that course we learn how terrible white christian men are. Highschool was the same, I had to learn about European history on my own.

So now we have a movement that doesn't want women to be objectified but calls women that sleep around liberated. A movement that praises a woman's choice to forgo motherhood but shames a man into marriage, because a man needs to man up.

I don't hate women at all, I plan on marrying and starting a family but I hate the radicals controlling our schools.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Reverse sexism (Please move to an appropriate place) - August 10th 2016, 03:43 AM

I don't mean to go off topic, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant View Post
All colleges in the USA have a mandatory gender studies course
Cite your source? My school doesn't do that, and neither did my previous school. Two top 100 universities in the US, both EXTREMELY liberal, who don't do that. It's not that I like to nitpick, and I feel like we would actually agree on a few points regarding feminism (probably abortion), but what you just said isn't anywhere close to a fact. Even if its hyperbole, like if you live in a state that actually does do that, you presented it as fact that the entire country does it. That simply isn't true.
And if I'm coming off as a douchebag... yeah, I can see it. I nitpicked one thing from the rest of your post, like a typical online troll. And I do feel bad because you're relatively new to the site. But we live in a country that can literally make up news, and it pisses me off to no end. When making a claim like that, you should check multiple sources, right, left, center, and establishment, before repeating something that was probably thrown out there by Donald Trump, Breitbart, Alex Jones, Rush Limbaugh, or Drudge (Alternate-Right Wing news sources do not count as legitimate news sources, btw) who would brainwash people just to make money. These people literally fabricate facts and stories then present them to the public as fact.

But yes, sexism is bad. It sucks that that happened to you, I don't know what their problem was, kicking you out of their store. However, while some feminists want control, a large majority of them DO want equality.
As an example, feminist icon Gloria Steinem said that a woman voting for Bernie Sanders instead of Hillary Clinton is a betrayal to all women. Bullshit. That IS about control, acting like breaking the glass ceiling and putting a woman in power is more important than electing the only person who would actually be willing to take on corporations and take real steps towards gender equality.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Sen Vanos Offline
That One Guy
Not a n00b

Re: Reverse sexism (Please move to an appropriate place) - August 10th 2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ. View Post
There is no such thing as "reverse sexism", it's just sexism.
You got what I meant. I also don't like saying "reverse sexism", but it gets my point across.

Seriously, I'm an active feminist, I believe there should be equality for everyone, and I thought those radical feminazis were only a minority, but this takes the cake.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Fallingforyou Offline
#radpenguin
Average Joe

Name: Leonie

Re: Reverse sexism (Please move to an appropriate place) - August 10th 2016, 10:44 AM

I'm not a feminist for a variety of reasons, but I'm all about equality and I believe that equality for everyone would be the first step towards solving many problems of society. That's definitely not the way to go about it and of course things have improved a lot compared to say, a hundred or two hundred years ago, but radical feminists (or whatever you want to call them) are just taking as many steps backwards by hating on men because of the most ridiculous reasons.

Hakuna matata - it means no worries for the rest of your days.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Reverse sexism (Please move to an appropriate place) - August 10th 2016, 11:48 AM

No surprises there.

Except for you being turned down from entering a store for being male. Are you sure you're not exaggerating something here? I ask, because this is the first time I hear of something like it. It is inconsistent with what I'm aware of so far, and I do pay attention to things.

I'm aware of the "KillAllMen" rampage (which originated somewhere on Twitter, from someone with the surname "Sarkesian") and associated mantras. But that has actually been formidably defamed by a large portion of mainstream media. These activists had been pushing their luck for some time already, and they went too far that time, and lost more than they gained by it. I assumed they'd learn something from the mistake, and calm down their rhetoric (which they sort of have done), although the public figures they use can't be held directly responsible for some random store manager's decision to support "the movement" regardless.

If everything you say is true, then I don't doubt she (or maybe a he) will get her comeuppance soon enough, perhaps even by your hand.

If everything you say is true... a good idea would even be for you to go back there again, this time with a voice recorder/camera, and record the altercation, ideally with an extra witness with his/her own recording device as well.

Then take it to the media. Find some contact info on google, of mainstream media outlets, and less mainstream news channels on youtube. I'd expect the less mainstream ones would be more interested, because it's not really a big story after all. Doesn't make it irrelevant however.

What's in it for you? Closure, and maybe some minor publicity and even money. There's a growing demand for these kinds of news stories.

Have fun.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; August 10th 2016 at 12:15 PM.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Reverse sexism (Please move to an appropriate place) - August 10th 2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant View Post
All colleges in the USA have a mandatory gender studies course
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
Cite your source? My school doesn't do that, and neither did my previous school. Two top 100 universities in the US, both EXTREMELY liberal, who don't do that.
I couldn't find sources either, but I didn't look very hard.

I'm not asserting any facts here, but could it be that colleges have a mandatory obligation to offer "gender studies" classes, which students can chose to attend, or chose not to?

I know this is not the case in the UK where I'm from. I don't know about USA. I've heard a lot of things.

If it is mandatory, then I have a feeling there will be legislation/regulation enforcing it, and this would have been called out already and everybody would be talking about it. None of this has happened. I'm betting it isn't mandatory for students to take those classes.

But might it be "mandatory" for colleges to offer those classes? If it is, then I can't agree with it. Why don't we make "eugenics" also mandatory in a similar way if that's the case?

Classes which are mandatory, or optional, should only be those relating directly to the course, with selective exceptions (such as occasional language courses).

Anything else ought to be extra-curricular entirely, not count towards final grades of any sort, and not be paid for out of the same accounts as regular courses. There's a good reason for that. When students enroll on a course, many favor optional modules which are easier than others. If gender studies happens to be one of those "easier modules" (which I'm betting it is), then it will very efficiently bias the education system in that political direction, whilst offering nothing of direct relevance to the actual course. And a separate side-effect... easier classes, will mean higher GPAs, which causes grade inflation, which devalues further education (as currency inflation devalues economy), and generally lowers standards. Although there are other more significant reasons behind how further education might be devalued. Different topic.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Online
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Re: Reverse sexism (Please move to an appropriate place) - August 10th 2016, 12:42 PM

Its not reversed. Its just sexism.

Also, gender studies are BS.

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Reverse sexism (Please move to an appropriate place) - August 10th 2016, 03:41 PM

I'm 99% sure there are no requirements in the USA by Title IX or otherwise requiring universities to offer gender studies courses. Many colleges do not have them, but most do due to interest of students and faculty to teach them especially at large institutions.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Reverse sexism (Please move to an appropriate place) - August 10th 2016, 04:18 PM

My undergraduate degree did not require a gender course.

But it did require a course in human diversity in which multiple topics were discussed such as racism, sexism, ageism, weightism, etc.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Reverse sexism (Please move to an appropriate place) - August 10th 2016, 04:21 PM

My university also did not require us to take a gender studies course. I feel that would be pointless as well since classes largely depend on the professor teaching them as to how effective it would be. I also agree that it's just sexism, not reverse sexism. And I think a lot of the people who behave like you've written get the idea that all men are evil from tumblr. It's a bad mentality and not an accurate representation of feminists.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#15 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Re: Reverse sexism (Please move to an appropriate place) - August 10th 2016, 05:39 PM

I think sexism definitely goes both ways and can be harmful to men, although a lot of the things you mentioned (like being kicked out of the store on the basis of gender – kind of interested in the context of that story) were nothing like what I've seen happen before. Things like "kill all men" really give feminism a bad rep, which sucks because the feminist movement goes a long way to try to get things done and then people like that set back any progress made in terms of feminism being accepted. People who think like that just aren't feminists, and they're missing the point of the movement. It seems like they're trying to drag men down to the place where women are in society instead of lifting women up and giving us the same opportunities as men.

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Sen Vanos Offline
That One Guy
Not a n00b

Re: Reverse sexism (Please move to an appropriate place) - August 19th 2016, 06:51 PM

As asked, I will give some context on the store part. It wasn't much of a store than a tourist café that also sold souvenirs. I don't remember the name of the store anymore, but it was in Amsterdam. I just thought I would buy some souvenirs and have some lunch when the cashier said "Sorry, we don't allow men here.". I honestly don't even think she worked at the store, and either she was completely drunk/high, or was just trying to take the piss out of me. It's really weird, I know.

Honestly, with BDF's post, I hoped I could remember the name of the store, but ah well.

Sidenote: I did get lunch at an awesome Argentinian steakhouse. It was delicious.

Closed Thread