TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rosset Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rosseline

Saving rain water. A crime. - August 22nd 2016, 07:19 AM

Hey guys! Did you know collecting rain water was a crime? I recently got to know that collecting rain water illegally and saving it for later use, is a crime in the United States. Even people were imprisoned for doing so. http://www.torontodefencelawyers.com...tch-rainwater/ However, it's not a criminal offence in Canada so far. But I really don't understand what's wrong with doing that. What do you guys have to say about it?

Last edited by arepo; August 22nd 2016 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Moving to the Current Events and Debates forum. :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Saving rain water. A crime. - August 22nd 2016, 07:50 AM

Well it isn't an offence in Australia, in fact they give you water tanks to do exactly that. Having it illegal to collect rain water is actually ridiculous to me, especially seeing as the water is not owned by the government. It's also more sustainable to collect rainwater than buying it or using it from the tap all the time, so that is just silly not being allowed to collect it.

Basically I feel sorry for America and their silly laws, but we'll go with it I guess.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Saving rain water. A crime. - August 22nd 2016, 08:04 AM

That seems ridiculous. It's not like it's hurting anything.

Where I live we can use rain buckets. Personally, we have rain buckets that we use to water the plants when we're on water bans so we're using less water because we still have to use the sprinkler system to water the other plants.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fallingforyou Offline
#radpenguin
Average Joe

Name: Leonie

Re: Saving rain water. A crime. - August 22nd 2016, 08:19 AM

We have a cistern to save rain water, which we then use to water our plants and I don't even remember the last time the cistern was empty. I have thought about this for a while and I still couldn't come up with a single legitimate reason why saving rain water shouldn't be allowed. It doesn't even affect the water cycle as long as we don't take that water out of the system or add any substances and any law telling us otherwise is just ridiculous.

Hakuna matata - it means no worries for the rest of your days.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BayernManiac3 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Saving rain water. A crime. - August 22nd 2016, 01:51 PM

The reason it is illegal is to help prevent a lot of sitting water. Sitting water can have a lot of bacteria, larvae, and other unpleasant things. Right now especially, it should continue being illegal because of Zika. Sitting water just spreads the disease because the mosquitoes but their young in it. Brazil collects rain water and look at how hard Zika hit them. It's to help prevent stuff like Zika spreading so quickly. It's quite smart if you ask me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
SirJordan Offline
Twitter: @sirjordanhardy
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jordan

Re: Saving rain water. A crime. - August 22nd 2016, 10:15 PM

Crazy Americans. It's not an offence to do it here in the UK

"Carefree, wherever we may be. We are the famous CFC" - Chelsea Football Club
  Send a message via Yahoo to SirJordan  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Saving rain water. A crime. - August 22nd 2016, 10:20 PM

It is only illegal in America in certain states. In my state, Georgia, it is legal if you follow certain guidelines.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Saving rain water. A crime. - August 23rd 2016, 06:49 AM

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...4014742AAirvOr

I just typed "why is rainwater harvesting illegal" into google and got some quick answers.

It seems like these people required permits to build their rainwater storage facilities. These weren't bathtubs placed under gutter pipes. It sounds like this guy was building a several thousand liter storage tank/tanks. He applied for a permit, got denied, then built it anyway.

I do think making rainwater harvesting controlled in this way is strange though. Rules like that do what precisely? Protect water suppliers? Although people are also saying that building certain water storage facilities raises groundwdater levels. I know that this can then damage building foundations, cause mould/rot in some houses. Also, in a region with water shortages... privately stockpiling water can disrupt the regional water cycle, and deprive other people of water. These things are mentioned in the link.

Imagine a village, and someone builds a property on a piece of land where the river is passing through. They chose to build a dam and control the water somehow, depriving the water supplier downstream of his supply, and depriving other residents too. It's not really "right". This has happened, in China/India... "
Brahmaputra" dam. And India is pissed off.

Anyhow, the situation is not quite as extreme as it looks at first glance. It's not entirely illegal, and there are some good reasons for controlling this in some areas.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Re: Saving rain water. A crime. - August 23rd 2016, 07:39 PM

I'm from Michigan and I always thought it was illegal here. Some websites are saying it is legal. I understand why it would be illegal for health reasons, but at the same time, it does seem kind of ridiculous. I just don't collect rainwater. Its not the end of the world if I can't collect it.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

Closed Thread