TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
IH8U2 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Mom humiliated at Babies R Us after trying to return products after sons death - September 9th 2016, 04:23 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

https://ca.style.yahoo.com/mom-humil...191600518.html

I don't know what to think of this. Obviously the son's death and the fact she broke down in public is super horrible, but I'm not sure if she should lash out at the manager. There's only so much she can do without a receipt and she's only a manager, not the owner. What do you think?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Mom humiliated at Babies R Us after trying to return products after sons death - September 9th 2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8U2 View Post
https://ca.style.yahoo.com/mom-humil...191600518.html

I don't know what to think of this. Obviously the son's death and the fact she broke down in public is super horrible, but I'm not sure if she should lash out at the manager. There's only so much she can do without a receipt and she's only a manager, not the owner. What do you think?

I dont think she lashed out at the store. From what I read, sounded more like hysterical crying. Then she posted on facebook on her personal account. Am I getting that right?

I do think the manager could have taken her aside to talk or something because the whole line behind her did not have to see it and it probably could have prevented some of the embarassment of the situation, for both of them. Maybe the manager did not know what to do or simply did not want to bend the rules. I don't think that's the issue though.

It's not that they couldn't return it that was the issue, I think. I think it was that the manager seemed to be only about conducted business and not caring that this woman who happens to have been really upset, could use some kind words instead of a robotic answer of "No" Maybe, like, you know a kinder response but still sticking to an answer.

If I were a manager and I had to handle this situation, I would probably do as much as I can for this woman but I'm sure I would have limitations and if I really had to follow the policies for whatever reason, I would hopefully be well versed in the policies to know what I can do to give her back the most money. But I am not a manager and I never have been so I do not know the pressure of the environment. I mean I kinda do, holding jobs before and not wanting to lose it, so I can see how it's rough.
Still, the employee seemed so scared! she had to whisper it "sorry". That suggests the manager is generally unapproachable to talk to.

I think the lesson to be learned is to not let things like jobs, and other institutional settings make you unkind! And whenever possible, choose jobs that fit with your life values, your philosophies, and ethics, and gives you enough autonomy to exercise your personal self. Because it's damaging to your own psyche to have to do something you feel is unfair because of a job environment.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Mom humiliated at Babies R Us after trying to return products after sons death - September 23rd 2016, 01:38 PM

Keep receipts for major purchases and give gift receipts.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Mom humiliated at Babies R Us after trying to return products after sons death - September 24th 2016, 06:50 PM

The manager might not have been 'unkind' as the woman said but she probably had limitations and rules she had to follow. Since the person did not have the receipts and the items were discontinued it is probably store policy to only offer that amount. I would say that the manager probably could have called someone else about the situation or told the woman that she could contact corporate to see if they could do anything but, again, without the receipts there isn't much that can be done. How do they know for sure she got them at that store.

It's a terrible situation and I understand why the woman was upset but it's a far stretch to say these people were unkind or not compassionate.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Mom humiliated at Babies R Us after trying to return products after sons death - October 5th 2016, 07:07 PM

My heart breaks for this poor woman and I completely understand why she got so emotional at the cashwrap. That being said, I don't see this as the manager's fault. Working in retail management myself, there are certain rules and limitations that we are bound by which, if broken, will send an automatic red flag up the chain. This is a situation that was probably better suited for customer service to handle, since they have a little more power with pleasing the customer and have the ability to send issues up to corporate if necessary. I don't really think anyone is at fault here, but it definitely could have been handled better with the manager making appropriate, problem-solving suggestions.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

Closed Thread