TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Time Magazine on Hillary Clinton's emailgate - November 8th 2016, 05:30 PM

This, has got to be one of the worst articles I have ever read in the mainstream media. Time magazine. This is appalling:

http://time.com/4551711/hillary-clinton-emailgate/

The person who wrote that, turned the entire email scandal, twisted it, and turned it into what is apparently nothing more than an "assault of women". Direct quote:

Quote:
The only reason the whole email flap has legs is because the candidate is female
There are so many things wrong with that, with the entire article, that I'm assuming it is self-explanatory. I do not want to spend an hour dissecting that article and calling it out on it's bullshit. I just wanted to share this incredible example of stupid.

I was in fact so intrigued by the stupidity, that I searched for the name of the author online:

Robin Lakoff - professor of linguistics at the University of California

Is this just more evidence of bias in media and further education/colleges? This is not just bias though... this is offensively stupid. If I had read anything like that anywhere else, I would have assumed it's a parody piece or someone trolling. But this is Time magazine. Actually... sometimes I have written stupid things just like that (much shorter though) on YouTube to annoy people. That's funny, because it's a joke. This isn't. And this isn't some random student at a feminist protest whose just shooting their mouth (although sounds like it). This is a professor, that is, a very high academic position easily earning several hundred thousand dollars a year. Things like this exert heavy influence over their readers/listeners, and this is ridiculous. If right wing did anything like it, nobody would listen. At most they would get called names. If the left wing does it, it gets published by one of the most global mainstream magazines there are: Time magazine.

And some of the grammar doesn't even make sense. Clearly nobody even proof read that, otherwise how would "bitch hunt" pass any sort of scrutiny?

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; November 8th 2016 at 06:25 PM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Time Magazine on Hillary Clinton's emailgate - November 19th 2016, 11:25 AM

Media twists and turns a lot of things, they even hide the truth and tell lies.

My roommate and I talk about some things, sounds like no one wants a female president. I think it's disgusting that no one wants a female running their country, females are just as qualified than males.

Many are scared that Trump won and seem confused, angry, upset, etc., that Hillary never won. Which, many things are being said about her, pointing all of her flaws. What about Trumps flaws? Does it matter that people make mistakes, that is how we learn. How they've both made mistakes doesn't separate everyone else aside as we make mistakes, everyone does. Focusing on flaws only gets the person in trouble but it never solves anything.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Time Magazine on Hillary Clinton's emailgate - November 19th 2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretatsyRemedial View Post
Media twists and turns a lot of things, they even hide the truth and tell lies.
Yes. But assertions without evidence are dismissed without evidence. If someone publishes what they claim to be "the truth" and backs it up with evidence (rather than opinion), then you need greater evidence to refute it. If someone publishes what they claim to be "the truth" and doesn't back it up with any evidence... then it is refuted without any evidence.

Simply accusing something of being a lie, without substantiating such an accusation... is ultimately just an opinion. Similar that making a claim, without substantiating it... is ultimately also just an opinion.

I've made a bit of a mess of this explanation, so I hope you follow. It's worth also saying though that it isn't constructive to get too pedantic about these things... by asking people the provide "evidence" for claims that are really self explanatory, just to stall a discussion. Some people do this.

Quote:
My roommate and I talk about some things, sounds like no one wants a female president.
Is that really true? I'm well aware of there being lots of cretins on social media saying things like "women shouldn't be allowed in politics", but it's a big leap to assume that this represents the entire population, as you imply with "no one wants a female president". Although I realize this is hyperbole, it still is going a bit far.

Personally, I'm impartial to having a female president. I'm neither for or against. I believe the best person for a job should get the job, and that no other personal attributes should matter.

By comparison... I don't hear much dissent in the UK with regards to the current prime minister being a woman.

Quote:
I think it's disgusting...
Yes, it is. Although I prefer the word "irrational".

Quote:
females are just as qualified than males.
Yes & No. Females & Males tend to have slightly different attributes with regards to their personalities. You probably know this though. My argument is that sometimes a "softer touch" (so to speak) might be more suitable, and sometimes a more hard-line approach might be more suitable, depending on the times, or depending on the specific problems/policies being addressed.

There is a remarkable bias in positions of power with regards to men. This is true. Men on average posses certain innate personality traits which tend to make them slightly more egotistical, and these personality traits appear to make them more successful in the realm of politics and business. It by no means necessarily makes them "better" , but it does help them be more successful at achieving higher status in things such as politics.

That's not to generalize all men this way however. You average guy on the street, probably won't compare to the more egotistic/authoritarian nature of many politicians. It's the personality traits that increase a person's likelihood of success, and it so happens than men on average posses more of these personality traits, and some do more than others.
Quote:
Focusing on flaws only gets the person in trouble but it never solves anything.
I agree. But I struggle to figure how this can ever be separated from politics. I'd like it to be, but I don't see how. Both sides would have to consent to such an arrangement, and seeing that both sides can rarely agree on anything these days... I don't see it happening.

Besides, there are good reasons to point out certain flaws in people. A person's past is often a good measure of what they might do in the future. So long as the "flaws" are actually related to the problems being discussed. Personal attacks against a person's flaws are just cheap shots and piss me off, it's a stupid distraction.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; November 20th 2016 at 12:31 AM.

Closed Thread