TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Electoral Votes question. - November 10th 2016, 12:07 AM

I titled this "Electoral Votes question" and put it in current events even though I'm not focusing on just Electoral vote and not sure if this is even in the right forum, so feel free to move it if there's a forum better suited for this.

Ok, so I've followed elections since Bill Clinton's first term in office and 20+ years later I still do not understand the Electoral College and Electoral Votes. I always thought that when it came to electing a President, the 1 that had the most votes from everyone that voted, would get into the White House. I've known since Middle School..or the beginning of High School (can't remember when I actually first learned this) that the President only wins by Electoral Votes..and so a popular vote does not help.

Getting to my point for making this post (which has turned into quite a ramble...sorry lol) what exactly IS an electoral Vote, who casts them and why do so many people have to go out and vote for a President..if in reality their vote for it actually doesn't count towards them getting into the White House. Another question, why is it even by Electoral Votes and not popular vote? Yes I have tried to google this but nothing I read makes sense, so please can someone simplify this whole thing..also I'll be happy to answer any questions if you're confused on anything I've said, if it helps to get an answer lol.

Can't stop now, I've traveled so far. - Foreigner

I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance. - Garth Brooks

Assoc Live Help Mentor from 11/23/2014-1/17/2015, 8/8/2015-

Live Help Mentor from 1/17/2015-8/8/2015

SKITTLIFY!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Electoral Votes question. - November 10th 2016, 12:17 AM

I've got little time. I recommend this channel, generally, for lots of things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUS9mM8Xbbw

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Electoral Votes question. - November 10th 2016, 01:53 AM

Ok- basically each candidate has electoral members associated with them. These are the people who actually vote for the president- they will cast their vote in December. Each state is given a certain number of electoral votes- and in almost every state, the winner takes all. So say 51 percent of Florida votes Trump--then all 29 electoral votes will go to him. What this means is that only Trump's electoral voters would be allowed to cast their vote in Florida.

The number of electoral members in each state is determined mostly by that state's population. Larger states get more electoral representation- but smaller states get more electoral representation per person. The system is supposed to be there so that states are represented fairly - but in a way that still is weighted towards states with larger population. So basically, Rhode Island- as a state - still gets represented by more than just its (small) population- though not as much as say Texas. A popular vote could be bad for states with smaller populations---where a candidate could simply ignore issues faced by those living in those states.

These electoral votes are cast by real people. In some states, it is illegal for an electoral member to cast a vote for someone other than their sworn candidate--though it has happened a few times in history. But it is pretty much guaranteed that what you see is what you will get in terms of electoral votes. So that is why the result can be (unofficially) known now-rather than in December when those electoral members actually cast the vote.

Last edited by Proud90sKid; November 12th 2016 at 09:31 PM.

Closed Thread