TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Lena Dunham hypocrisy / alt-right - November 17th 2016, 11:58 AM

This forum is mostly filled with left wing thinkers. So it's hard to pick a thread title which doesn't put people off even clicking on it, bearing in mind that people tend to avoid sources of information that conflict with their current beliefs.

So I've got this video today (it's only 3 minutes long):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cesrPKEWQX8

Keywords are:
alt-right
straight white men
extinction
Lena Dunham

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Lena Dunham hypocrisy / alt-right - November 17th 2016, 05:08 PM

Ok... do you ACTUALLY believe that, if every straight white male was put in a room and with a push of a button, she could end all of them, she'd actually do it? I don't. And that's because the left doesn't actually have a notable history of genocidal ideals. Even if you were to include the USSR and North Korea with their gulags, thats more totalitarian than liberal because North Korea and the USSR had a small number of people in charge, making it paradoxically conservative. However, if the opposite had happened and someone from the alt-right wanted to end all (name almost any group), yeah, I would believe it because the alt-right has a history of extreme aggression and oppression towards other groups. They actually get stuff done. Lena Dunham, she's just some actress. It's not like she has a following of people saying, "kill all straight white males!" And if she does, they certainly aren't taking action in a way that COULD kill them. That's completely ridiculous.
Coming from someone like Ben Shapiro, who rages against political correctness, you would think he could tell a serious threat from hyperbole. He talks as though she was serious.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
undeleted3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Lena Dunham hypocrisy / alt-right - November 17th 2016, 10:21 PM

That's fucked up.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Lena Dunham hypocrisy / alt-right - November 18th 2016, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
Ok... do you ACTUALLY believe that, if every straight white male was put in a room and with a push of a button, she could end all of them, she'd actually do it? I don't.
Most people wouldn't do that to other people. You're being rather reductionist in your argument. It's about the beliefs/ideals this sort of rhetoric perpetuates. Lena Dunham is just one of many who has been saying things like this. This reinforces an idea in many people, to think that it is perfectly fine and justifiable to discriminate against "straight white men"... which then results in protests like described in this thread:
http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f38-c...dents-berkley/

And this kind of talk also contribute to a generally toxic mentality which excuses/encourages this sort of behavior:
https://www.lifezette.com/polizette/...e-hate-crimes/

And to give this some more real context and consequences, instead of just single cases in the news, here are some FBI statistics on hate crimes:
https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2014/tables/table-4

Of course we see anti-black hate crimes averaging higher numbers. But 1 in 4, is anti-white. This is on a national level, so it will vary a lot depending on where you live, and will be most frequent in inner city areas. I'm not trying to turn this into a pissing contest between black and white crimes. I am sick of hearing arguments of the kind which imply things like "oh, more black people get assaulted, so assaulting white people is fine/no big deal/they deserve it". You realise that this kind of mentality is part of the reason why Trump got elected?

People need to stop sympathising with this sort of shit and turning a blind eye to it. All people.

Quote:
And that's because the left doesn't actually have a notable history of genocidal ideals. Even if you were to include the USSR and North Korea with their gulags, thats more totalitarian than liberal because North Korea and the USSR had a small number of people in charge, making it paradoxically conservative.
Totalitarian mentality isn't at all limited to the right wing, or the left wing. Totalitarian mentality is about asserting your own beliefs as being unquestionably right, and therefore being above scrutiny. It's an authoritarian mindset. There is nothing "Liberal" about deriding "straight white males", or any such behavior in general towards anyone. I don't know why Liberal movements allowed themselves to degenerate into this.

Anyone who behaves like this, is guilty of perpetuating totalitarianism. In fact, if you google "totalitarian mentality", the first thing that comes up is political correctness, which I found surprising actually. I didn't click on it though.

Quote:
However, if the opposite had happened and someone from the alt-right wanted to end all (name almost any group), yeah, I would believe it because the alt-right has a history of extreme aggression and oppression towards other groups.
The "alt-right" apparently is a term coined by someone originally in 2008. It was tied to some sort of white-supremacist movement, that didn't gain any significant traction, because that kind of shit doesn't fly anymore.

More recently, Milo Yiannopollos (however it's spelt), started giving speeches at American colleges. He spoke out against things like "SJWs", "political correctness", "anti-white hate", etc. etc. This started gaining lots of traction and popularity. He was often deliberately offensive, because that's what appears to work best with college kids. It's has a lot to do with high-school tribal mentality.

However it happened, someone labelled his movement as the "alt-right". He embraced this, for whatever reason. Perhaps he wasn't aware of what the "alt-right" was. Because of it's initial obscurity, perhaps he wasn't even aware of it's existence. I'm guessing though. Ultimately, there's little you can do about what other people feel like calling you. After that, the label just stuck with him, but also absorbed former supporters of the original white supremacist group.

He is far from being my favorite person, because he is deliberately and often unnecessarily offensive, just for the sake of it. I generally don't like those kinds of people. But I'm not aware of him personally ever advocating racial supremacy. Have you actually listened to him? Or have you just listened to his supporters? Because I'll agree with you on this, that many of his most vocal supporters are full of shit. Especially on the internet, people like to act brave.

This guy says a few things I agree with on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzbUdhdqshU

Finally, compare this guy from the original "alt-right", who claims he has been with them since 2008:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ODFYkxbs0A

Now compare that guy, to Milo Yiuanopollos, in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgl53EXInPc&t=177s

Can you not see the difference??? The first is fairly openly advocating divisions based on race, whereas Milo isn't. Milo says very clearly what the "alt-right" means to him (the usual stuff: fighting political correctness, SJWs, etc.).

Basically (to sum it all up), there seem to be two definitions of what the "alt-right" actually is. Knowing the difference, is like knowing the difference between the "Black Panthers" (a black supremacist hate group), and average BLM supporters.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; November 18th 2016 at 01:46 AM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Lena Dunham hypocrisy / alt-right - November 18th 2016, 10:07 AM

Just why the fuck are people today so intent on dividing other people according to their orientation (straight), skin color (white) and gender (men).

This wasn't happening anywhere near as much just 10 or 15 years ago, and things were much better for everyone. Yes, minorities experienced discrimination, but those were the times when Liberals were generally handling these problems responsibly... as opposed to what many are doing today, which is openly and shamelessly attacking "straight white men", as if it is some sort of fucking "retribution".
There is a big difference between helping one group of people, and attacking another.

I don't give a shit about their retribution. "Retribution" against what? Me? What have I ever done to them?

I'd take their side, if these people were more focused on helping people, instead of attacking people.

I can't even say "straight white men" without cringing. Who even came up with this?

Now we have a conservative backlash, which I'll admit, is beginning to degenerate along some of it's edges. I've already said I don't like alt-right supporters much at all. I knew this was going to happen, and I've said it before on here.

Last edited by BDF; November 19th 2016 at 02:26 AM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread