TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

This is Disturbing - November 22nd 2016, 05:10 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Kanye West "hospitalized" hours after endorsing Donald Trump:
Now from the opposite angle: Kevin Alfred (a progressive Professor) given psych evaluation for comments on Twitter:
People are pretty much getting cuffed and thrown into vans, for their political affiliations (or whatever you want to call it).

At this stage, I don't know what to think. I don't have any meaningful comments to make. I don't know what to agree with or what not to. I have some theories, but that doesn't matter. I want to hear what other people think before I start making my mind up.

This is starting to make me positively angry. I don't trust myself to reason sensibly when I'm like this. When I'm like this, I prefer to take a break instead of flying off the handle.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by MsNobleEleanor; November 24th 2016 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Some material discussed might be triggering for others. Added Prefix.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Adam

Re: This is Disturbing - November 23rd 2016, 03:37 PM

Historically what you are seeing is the arrival of the criminal faction we should have paid more attention to, homegrown terrorism. KKK, Nazis, but also the Black Panthers as well. They've all been dragged out. And the members of these groups have long out-numbered ISIS with only a handful paying attention to them. Both sides looking to start a 'race war.' The good news is that Trump has finally started paying attention, New York has set up a special task force for hate crimes and I see other states doing the same. Now hopefully the radicals on Trump's cabinet don't get him to back down.

I should state this though - what we are seeing is not that different from what our parents or grandparents experienced in the 60s and 70s. A potentially more dangerous time? Yeah, since it's home grown and wars at home. But, it's something our elders went through as well. So, while more dangerous and a different world it's not apocalyptic. Also, most likely, safer than the 60s/70s as well since it's not as radical as that time was.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: This is Disturbing - November 23rd 2016, 05:12 PM

Kanye was hospitalized after going off on a rant that made little sense at a concert (two days after when he said he would have voted for Trump), including asking JayZ not to send his "killas" on him, then leaving early. He's been touring, he just had his fashion show, his wife was robbed and experienced something traumatizing not long ago, every source I've seen has said he's being treated for exhaustion and I believe that. Sleep deprivation can cause serious problems. I personally don't believe it had anything to do with saying anything about Trump.

As for the second person, that's really not a new thing. It's unfortunate, and shouldn't happen but it isn't new. People get taken to the hospital for so many stupid reasons because someone else made a call. It's happened to people I know, someone got "concerned" over something ridiculous and called police and then the person ends up in a hospital for 3 days.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: This is Disturbing - November 24th 2016, 01:42 PM

It sounds like Kanye has other issues related to stress in life. He is constantly photographed/quoted. His wife was just robbed. He is attempting to run several companies. I don't think he was hospitalized because he endorsed Trump. I think he was hospitalized for other reasons.

Lots of people are brought into the ER when they make comments that are concerning like that through text or Facebook. In general, making comments asking about whether shooting any person or people is okay generally gets the cops called on you out of concern for public safety. While we're on that topic, saying you will kill yourself will generally buy yourself a ticket to the ER for a psych evaluation too.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: This is Disturbing - November 26th 2016, 12:16 AM

With the recent shit going on, it's been easier for me to get paranoid about these things.

Anyone ever had that experience, that you're reading something that is relatively normal... but you pick up on one detail, your mind pulls it out of context and relates it to something completely different you might have read/heard elsewhere? Something bad? Sirens go off in your head, and your entire perspective shifts away from being objective, to seeing things through stained glasses instead.

I don't know about other people, but at least I'm aware of it when it happens to me. It doesn't happen often though. I went back to those articles that I first quoted 2 days later, and yes, although they aren't "normal", they are not exactly "abnormal" either.

I don't follow celebrity stuff almost at all, but I've heard stories of Kanye West being a bit of a loose cannon before. But about the other guy who got taken for saying "shoot white people"...

Either you target every person for making racist comments in public, or you target no one. I'd prefer no one gets targeted for reasons like this, because this sort of government power is easily abused (by moving goalposts / changing legal definitions of words) to favor one group of people over another. But direct incitement of violence (which is a different category to racism) deserves to be investigated.

I'm still in a habit of seeing comments such as "kill white people" as hyperbolic, even thought such threats have been carried out at a street level. Because I saw it as hyperbolic rather than literal... I assumed this guy got thrown in a van simply for making a political statement, rather than an actual threat of some sort. That sent me off the rails. It didn't matter if I disagreed with his shitty political statement, because it felt like this incident went several levels higher than the opinion of some cretin on Twitter.

Two completely separate issues here:

1. posting a stupid political statement

2. getting thrown in a van for posting a political statement (which is precisely what USSR did for 50 years)

... but like already I said, it wasn't just a "political statement". It was a threat / incitement of violence. So I'm actually glad this happened, because there's too much of that shit going on already with people thinking it's "ok", by watering these kinds of threats down to being nothing more than a "political statement" (which is exactly what I did). Shooting cops in Dallas was also apparently a "political statement", so that really isn't the sort of justification I give a shit about.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: This is Disturbing - November 28th 2016, 11:42 AM

In general, if people make those comments they tend to get visited by the police. Smaller areas will probably be less likely to do something about it whereas a large city will be more likely to drop you off at the hospital for a psych eval.

I work in an ER in a small city. I have seen people who have to be evaluated by the mental health company because they say stupid shit. I recommend everyone to never joke about shooting themselves. My favorite is where this guy convinced his primary care doctor to call in and "vouch for him." You should have heard the doctor's voice when we asked if he would still vouch for him even though he had a loaded gun?

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: This is Disturbing - November 28th 2016, 06:47 PM

That's good to know. Somehow I've never heard of this happening that often where I live in the UK.... so it seemed a bit abnormal to me for authorities to respond this way. I've heard of isolated cases, but that's all.

Last edited by BDF; November 28th 2016 at 10:40 PM.

Closed Thread