TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 5th 2017, 11:04 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/crime/227116738-story

Since I haven't seen anything about it here and most of you haven't even known it

"Chicago police were made aware of the video Tuesday afternoon. A young African American woman streamed the video live on Facebook showing at least four people holding the young white man hostage.

4 in custody after mentally disabled man tied up, tortured on Facebook Live
"The video is reprehensible," said police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi.

"It's sickening. You know it makes you wonder what would make individuals treat somebody like that," Police Supt. Eddie Johnson added.

Throughout the video, the victim is repeatedly kicked and hit, his scalp is cut, all while he is tied up with his mouth taped shut.

At one point, the victim is held at knife point and told to curse President-elect Donald Trump. The group also forces the victim to drink water from a toilet.

The suspects can be heard saying they want the video to go viral.

Detectives think the victim, who lives in the suburbs and appeared to be in his late teens or early 20s, met some acquaintances in northwest suburban Streamwood and they drove him to Chicago in a stolen vehicle, Guglielmi said."

All four are charged with aggravated kidnapping, hate crime, aggravated unlawful restraint and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon

Under this piece of text is my opinion on the matter, if you want to read it, highlight under this paragraph

This is sick and sad. As a disabled male myself, this could've been me if I would be an American, legit. I hear more about white people and (supposed) Trump supporters being beat up and where's the MSM? Silent or they defend the perpetrators because of 'bad training'. But the reality is that they're responsible for it and they deserve to be in prison (Preferably for life). If it were four white people kidnapping and threatining a black person, the world would have a conniption. Racism goes both ways and this is textbook definition of racism (It goes both ways, racebaiters). They even said "Fuck white people" (If you saw this on anything else than CNN, you would've heard it too)

A white person is just as human as a black person and same goes with disabilities. Your actions and abilities will shape your life, not your race, religion or disability. In my opinion, people like those four perpetrators (Applies to my opinion on the vocal BLM supporters too) blame their own shortcomings on other people, they like to point fingers, while it's them failing and not looking in the mirror to realise that it's their own fault they're in deep crap. I'm not giving a point to real racists here because they're dicks and they're reprehensible too, but what people like BLM supporters and those four perpetrators did, is proving the racists right. That's not an insult, that's just a fact of life!

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me

Last edited by MsNobleEleanor; January 7th 2017 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Putting a trigger warning as this may be triggering for others.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 5th 2017, 11:39 PM

I did hear about this and have seen it in quite a few places recently, and yes what happened was disgusting and vicious. I don't agree with your opinion on BLM supporters, however I do agree with everything else you have said. The consequences of this attack are rightly given and frankly even though they didn't agree with what the guy thought, none of this should have happened. Things like this do happen more frequently than people would like to admit, so it's good at least one story has made it into the media.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 6th 2017, 01:49 AM

The attacks on that man were entirely wrong and the aggressors should be charged to the fullest extent for their crimes. I do agree with you about BLM, their actions are encouraging acts like this, which is only worsening race relations, not healing them.

If this was done by 4 white men towards a black man, the media would be claiming that this was a total hate crime and that this is proof that racism towards black people is prevalent and awful. Instead, we get a media that is basically downplaying the act of kidnapping and torture.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 7th 2017, 05:36 AM

Yeah, this absolutely repulsed me. My uncle is disabled, and I've grown close to quite a few disabled people in school over the years. Just thinking of them and thinking of what this man had to go through.. it just disgusts me, honestly.

What's even worse is the amount of attention this has gotten, or shall I say, lack thereof. I heard about this through Anti-SJW Youtubers before I heard it on the news, and even then, there were people actually defending the kidnappers and denying that this is racism.

I don't know what it's going to take to prove that racism exists within every race and towards every race. No, white people haven't been as systemically oppressed as blacks in America. But there were definitely many white slaves in other parts of the world.

I'm half/half about BLM. I think the group started out for a good cause, and I think it could've gone a long way with helping black people, especially in the neighborhoods where black on black crime is a huge problem. (Which is, statistically, a bigger problem than any white on black crime the media wants to blow out of proportion.)
But now it's more about shitting on white people and getting revenge, it seems. It's become a place where hate towards whites is fueled, and the racial tension just keeps building and building.
I do believe there are well-meaning people in BLM, and - as it is in almost every group of people - it's just the bad, extremist minded people who ruin the entire image of the group.

However, we cannot ignore the blatantly racist things that have come from members of BLM. As a white rape victim of a black male (not that I believe him raping me was a race issue or anything. we dated each other for fuck's sake.) seeing Tweets from black males saying, "RAPE ALL THE WHITE WOMEN" and "all these crackers deserve to be raped and killed", it honestly offends me and makes everything I already have to deal with, having been raped, that much worse.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. It's just not often a black on white crime gets any attention at all. Not that white on black is any more justified. Just... it's so fucking childish. It angers me. Like some people have more melanin production, others have less.
Can we get over it now?

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 7th 2017, 05:20 PM

Let's be fair, Fox News (the most mainstream outlet by the numbers) and the other right wing outlets will be running this story for the next year and a half. The other outlets, especially CNN, will try to be as neutral as possible without realizing that is shitty journalism.
I generally have a positive viewpoint regarding BLM because the message is good and the majority of the supporters are good. We do need to reform the justice system, we do need to demilitarize the police, and we do need to reform the economy so it's more fair. That's what the purpose of BLM is. However, the topic itself is a powder keg; people on the fringes of both sides are super angry about the other side, and they're the ones who are doing this shit.
As far as I know, most people have figured out that this is definitely racist. Every once in a while some idiot like Don Lemon from CNN will try to downplay it, but I feel like pretty much everyone else is on board that this was racist. However, it isn't like our media is specifically skewed in one direction, they suck across the board. For example, and this is important because you said this wouldn't happen in an inverse situation, but a white guy in Idaho raped an autistic black teenager with a coat hanger and was let off by the jury. I don't see any news outlets talking about that. That's gotta be a hate crime of some sort, I mean, how many black people live in Idaho? Probably 5. Or it could be a hate crime based on disability. Regardless, this was an abomination of justice and unlike this case (TBD, but just wait), the guy didn't even go to prison.
Every time I see something to do with BLM on the mainstream media, all they focus on are the few black riots that their fringes started (like Ferguson) and ignore all of their peaceful protests (totally legal). And in many cases when white people riot (especially on college campuses after a sporting event), it's framed as "nah, they're just messing around."
I wouldn't give them life in prison because they didn't kill anyone. I think 20-25 years would be sensible though.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 8th 2017, 08:17 PM

This actually makes me really sick. I feel so horrible for that man. This world is starting to become a scary place.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 8th 2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
Let's be fair, Fox News (the most mainstream outlet by the numbers) and the other right wing outlets will be running this story for the next year and a half. The other outlets, especially CNN, will try to be as neutral as possible without realizing that is shitty journalism.
I generally have a positive viewpoint regarding BLM because the message is good and the majority of the supporters are good. We do need to reform the justice system, we do need to demilitarize the police, and we do need to reform the economy so it's more fair. That's what the purpose of BLM is. However, the topic itself is a powder keg; people on the fringes of both sides are super angry about the other side, and they're the ones who are doing this shit.
As far as I know, most people have figured out that this is definitely racist. Every once in a while some idiot like Don Lemon from CNN will try to downplay it, but I feel like pretty much everyone else is on board that this was racist. However, it isn't like our media is specifically skewed in one direction, they suck across the board. For example, and this is important because you said this wouldn't happen in an inverse situation, but a white guy in Idaho raped an autistic black teenager with a coat hanger and was let off by the jury. I don't see any news outlets talking about that. That's gotta be a hate crime of some sort, I mean, how many black people live in Idaho? Probably 5. Or it could be a hate crime based on disability. Regardless, this was an abomination of justice and unlike this case (TBD, but just wait), the guy didn't even go to prison.
Every time I see something to do with BLM on the mainstream media, all they focus on are the few black riots that their fringes started (like Ferguson) and ignore all of their peaceful protests (totally legal). And in many cases when white people riot (especially on college campuses after a sporting event), it's framed as "nah, they're just messing around."
I wouldn't give them life in prison because they didn't kill anyone. I think 20-25 years would be sensible though.
CNN would rather run BLM into the ground. It's not just Don Lemon saying it isn't a hate crime, racist Symone Sanders said it too (https://youtu.be/2s6mE3mVgS8, although she changed her tone in this vid https://youtu.be/oXyq765X7nM, she says she "didn't know the details" and I'm taking her flip flopping with a pinch of salt because she has a record of being racist against white people https://youtu.be/V0d6zIBDlj8)

I heard about the black autistic person being raped by a white person and that, honestly, is as irredeemable as the topic of this thread. The rapist should've been arrested and sentenced just as bad as the four racists. I hope the victim of that is alright and my prayers go out to him

Well, I am disabled myself and I was pretty outraged when I heard it because I know how it feels how powerless he's been and how humiliated he was. So that's why I think life sentence should suffice. I would like to beat the four up WWE style too, but I don't want to get too ahead of myself and I don't want to stoop too low (If there's anything lower than quad-teaming a disabled person)

I'm still condemning BLM with this until they publicly disavow this crime and condemn the Chicago 4, until then, I'd like to see some more tables turned against them (At least for the vocal racist supporters, they deserve to have the tables turned on them big time. I know there's BLM supporters that individually disavow the crime as not representing them, so kudo's to them)

Edit: As an update, there's a GoFundMe for the victim what got 100k of donations. Meanwhile, CBS Radio tries to flip races and implies the victim is black and the perp's are white Trump supporters (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUoOU3xvqU8, cannot find the real link so a Mark Dice vid will do (Sorry), but I swear I've seen it!)

Last edited by Jordioa18; January 8th 2017 at 09:21 PM.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 8th 2017, 11:23 PM

I just wanted to add that BLM never even said it was them in the first place, and it was a certain news presenter that said it was and called it the BLMKidnapping, when it was never BLM anyway. So I don't think BLM is going to publicly disavow the act, as it wasn't them and they shouldn't have to.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 9th 2017, 12:04 AM

https://www.facebook.com/blacklivesm...47410538881888
For what its worth, here's BLM Chicago disavowing it. BLM overall doesnt have central leadership if I remember right, but the branch in Chicago disavowed it, adding that the victim should be given the care he needs and the criminals should have an actual restorative rehabilitation instead of a traditional punishment system.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 9th 2017, 03:28 AM

This act is absolutely atrocious and the hate-crime sentence is 100% justified. But just like Muslims aren't responsible for every act of terror that ISIS commits, BLM and Black Americans don't need to apologize and be blamed for this. These were individually shitty people who are using "Trump" or whatever else as their cause, but in reality they were hateful and that's why they committed the act.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 9th 2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
The attacks on that man were entirely wrong and the aggressors should be charged to the fullest extent for their crimes. I do agree with you about BLM, their actions are encouraging acts like this, which is only worsening race relations, not healing them.

If this was done by 4 white men towards a black man, the media would be claiming that this was a total hate crime and that this is proof that racism towards black people is prevalent and awful. Instead, we get a media that is basically downplaying the act of kidnapping and torture.

Actually, there was recently a case where two white males did a whole bunch of stuff to a disabled African American teen and it didn't get any media attention and the perpetrators got off with a slap on the wrist.

And, in that case, the couch of the high school team they were on were encouraging people to abuse the teen to make him faster or something like that.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 10th 2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post

Actually, there was recently a case where two white males did a whole bunch of stuff to a disabled African American teen and it didn't get any media attention and the perpetrators got off with a slap on the wrist.

And, in that case, the couch of the high school team they were on were encouraging people to abuse the teen to make him faster or something like that.
I thought it was just one? Anyways, I've heard something eerily similar to that and it's just as horrible. These two deserve to be jailed

(#13 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 10th 2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordioa18 View Post
I thought it was just one? Anyways, I've heard something eerily similar to that and it's just as horrible. These two deserve to be jailed
Maybe it was just one but I could have sworn that the article I read said two.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#14 (permalink)) Old
hoʻonani i ka makua mau
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 16th 2017, 10:56 AM

From the area so I've heard a lot about this case.

Also I want to focus on the issue of intersectionality and privilege. While yes, this was a bigoted, heinous, and absolutely disgusting hate crime, it wasn't racist. Maybe it's just because I work in social services and have had a very liberal education but racism (or any ism) = prejudice plus power in terms of society. As disgusting as this crime was, those 4 young Black people do not systemically have power in this society.

Idealistically like you said, "Your actions and abilities will shape your life, not your race, religion or disability," but as a non-Christian woman of color in this country I can tell you that isn't entirely true. There is not a single doubt in my mind that if I was born a white man but every other aspect of my life was the same I would not have the same outcomes that I am currently receiving. Everyone has privileges, but that doesn't mean they cancel each other out. Being white and disabled versus being Black and able-bodied both carry different privileges in society. By no means does this justify what crime was committed and I believe that they should be punished, but I just want you to implore the idea of why intersectionality and privileges matter when talking about identity and why it is important to acknowledge identity (ie; society does not view all identities as equal/equity versus equality when fighting injustices.)

(#15 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 16th 2017, 04:15 PM

This act was clearly racially motivated and an obvious example of racism. I believe personally that we are all capable of racism and that there is no "Systemic power" requirement to be a racist.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 17th 2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
This act was clearly racially motivated and an obvious example of racism. I believe personally that we are all capable of racism and that there is no "Systemic power" requirement to be a racist.
I believe the same as racism goes both ways. I have too little time to think about "systemic power" and other politically correct drivel. Keep doing crap like this if you want to go back to the fifties or the reverse of the fifties, both equally as bad

(#17 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 17th 2017, 10:20 AM

I actually agree on this, like the crime clearly had a motivation that was based on the color of his skin, and I don't feel like its necessary to get caught up in the technicals. On the other hand, white people have definitely set up a society in America that is inherently hierarchical based partly on race. For example, the war on drugs, according to a Nixon aide, was specifically created to go after A. Blacks, and B. Hippies (anti-war liberals). The establishment found other ways to go after people they didn't like, and this is one example where the racial problem is still set specifically against black people. Despite smoking weed at the same rate as white people, black people are arrested at four times the rate of white people for the same crime and given heavier sentences.
So if you wonder why these guys were angry, its stuff like that. An MLK quote I heard today was, "riot is the language of the unheard." That's what angry people tend to do, they might riot. That quote doesn't endorse the riot, of course, and that's not how you should fight oppression in most cases. MLK won out because videos showed backwards-ass Alabama sheriffs spraying firehoses at him and beating him with nightsticks. People saw that on TV and public opinion swayed towards his cause because they didn't fight back. That's something I feel like BLM needs actually, I think they need central leadership figures like MLK to rally around. With central leaders like MLK, the public knows what BLM stands for, the members know what the message is, and when assholes like the people in this case need to be disavowed, you know who to talk to to disavow them. There wouldn't be any confusion about what BLM stands for anymore.
Also, see the MLK quote I put in my signature. He's an incredibly quotable person.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
hoʻonani i ka makua mau
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 17th 2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordioa18 View Post
I have too little time to think about "systemic power" and other politically correct drivel.
Which is easy to say when you hold the dominant identity in society and thus benefit from the privileges given to you because of it. Out of sight, out of mind as the saying goes.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 17th 2017, 04:22 PM

This crime is so disgusting. My sister is special ed and I couldn't image someone doing that to my sister. If they did I would kill them and happily go to jail for it because it is absolutely ridiculous.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#20 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 17th 2017, 04:41 PM

A horrible crime but I am with Asian Persuasion on the fact that it isn't racist. It is able-ist though. (But I guess if I say any more than this I will get all the "what about reverse racism and black on black crime" stuff)

It is a shame to hear people don't believe in or willing to acknowledge systemic powers and are somehow under the impression that oppression is always one invididual against another individual. It is a simplistic way of viewing human behavior and is plainly put-inaccurate. That's like denying a lot of historical and social context. But I mean, to each their own.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 17th 2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Believe In Me View Post
This crime is so disgusting. My sister is special ed and I couldn't image someone doing that to my sister. If they did I would kill them and happily go to jail for it because it is absolutely ridiculous.
Finally! Someone who looks past the fact the victim was white and was disabled. Thank you, Essa! This absolutely disgusts me, just because someone is special needs does not mean they're not worthy of living. Just because someone is special needs does not mean they should be mocked and humiliated, and have that mockery and humiliation be posted on Youtube.

It breaks my heart that special needs people don't get the recognition and respect they need. I'm speaking beyond Deaf culture, I'm speaking about anyone who is not what society perceives as normal. Race is irrelevant.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Disabled white man gets kidnapped by four black people who livestreamed it as well - January 17th 2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian persuasion View Post
Which is easy to say when you hold the dominant identity in society and thus benefit from the privileges given to you because of it. Out of sight, out of mind as the saying goes.
Of course! I guess my Arabic Muslim friend and poor black Indonesian uncle also have that mythical privilege level which allows them to have conservative opinions. But wait, my privilege is showing!!!

Closed Thread