TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Mike

Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 21st 2009, 09:59 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090521/...k_censorship_2

I find it pure idiocy that they equate Harvey Milk to sex. Yeah, he was gay, but that is not the only thing he stands for.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 21st 2009, 10:02 PM

I don't get why anything to do with homosexuality is automatically assumed to be something to do with sex.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 21st 2009, 10:30 PM

People are so stupid sometimes. It's all "omg sensitive subject, educators cannot approach that!" They shouldn't be educators if they are incapable of or unwilling to deal with real life issues like sexuality and, I'm sorry, but sex as well.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 21st 2009, 10:31 PM

That is genuinely sickening. If she had done the exact same presentation about a straight man, it would have been no problem. They are taking their intolerance, ignorance and stupidity and letting it cloud their judgment. I mean, what are the kids that saw this going to think? If to see a presentation about a gay man they had to go through all of this, does that not send the wrong message?

Ugh...

~Cody

Normal User

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 22nd 2009, 03:18 AM

People are stupid. Just because he is gay, it doesn't mean it had anything to do with sex. She should have been allowed to give the report. People overreact too often.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 22nd 2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Principal Theresa Grace concluded last month that the subject of the girl's project triggered a district policy requiring parents to be notified in writing before their children are exposed to lessons dealing with sex, according to Blair-Loy and Natalie's mother.
How retarded do they have to be to think that a biography of Harvey Milk's life is sex education? It's not like she was writing about his sex life...she was writing about his career and his death.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 22nd 2009, 05:13 AM

Woooow. Accusing the girl of writing about sex because they didnt want to deal with a paper about gay kids? rediiiic.

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 22nd 2009, 06:50 AM

Intolerance and ignorance at it's best...

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 22nd 2009, 07:29 AM

What a shocker..

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 22nd 2009, 04:46 PM

It's truly amazing how ignorant and stupid people can get. I'm sure that the parents of the girl could perhaps sue the school officials for denying their daughter freedom of speech. It's also amazing how ridiculous this double standard is: if someone is homosexual, it's automatically thought that whatever is about them will be about sex, yet if they're heterosexual, it's perfectly fine.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
asphyxiated Offline
Next stop: Land of Sueños
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 22nd 2009, 11:23 PM

This is so wrong. Had it been another famous figure like Martin Luther King, or Gandhi, it would have been fine. But just because the man was gay he becomes condemned for it, even after death. Sickening. People need to learn tolerance and acceptance. Fast.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 24th 2009, 05:15 PM

Just a quick side-note (kind of on-topic)...
I was watching a documentary about American History in my History class (The Century, if anyone's heard of it), and they talked about Harvey Milk... People were cracking up, and the teacher did nothing about it... That's so wrong. Homophobia is so gay...

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 24th 2009, 06:03 PM

Then we should censor everything with straight people in it because straight people have sex too. Seriously. I hate people like that.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 25th 2009, 09:43 PM

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're all fine and dandy.

I appreciate how you feel - but I can't help but be curious. IF her report was on the life of Billy Graham [The Christian Evangelist] would you feel the same way? Or would THAT be crossing the line?! Or what if it was a report on someone who is well known [Can't think of a name right now - but I don't think that matters] for their historically ANTI-gay rights stance? How would you feel about that?! Basically - what I'm asking you is just how far do you REALLY support the idea of 'free speech'?!

I understand why the girls teacher was upset. The teacher was put on the spot - and couldn't help but imagine being 'attacked' by some of the more 'militant' anti-anything-controversial parents IF the girls report was allowed to be read. So the teacher decided to error on the side of caution by placing the responsibility for the decision on the shoulders of the school principal. [At least that's how I 'read' it] The principal made the final decision.

IF I was 'running things' down there I would take this directly to the parents. ALL OF THEM. Far too often decisions are made based on the willingness of SOME parents to shout and scream and threaten, "My way or there will be trouble!" And that can be pretty scary. Especially if you rarely here anything from parents who do NOT share that point of view. But I think the parents [The one's making and/or implies threats] represent the minority and right now - the school board needs the support of the majority. I would say - in a letter to all parents - "We're not sure what to do when issues like this come up and we need your help." And if they get that help - that support - they can then find the courage to stand up to those few who would argue against the policies of the school board insofar as what is and what is not appropriate.

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 25th 2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCraig View Post
Hi Everyone!!

I appreciate how you feel - but I can't help but be curious. IF her report was on the life of Billy Graham [The Christian Evangelist] would you feel the same way? Or would THAT be crossing the line?! Or what if it was a report on someone who is well known [Can't think of a name right now - but I don't think that matters] for their historically ANTI-gay rights stance? How would you feel about that?! Basically - what I'm asking you is just how far do you REALLY support the idea of 'free speech'?!
I support free speech so far as it's not discriminating against anyone, and it isn't discriminating to make a report on a politician who is gay. It is discriminating to assume that since her report is on a man who was gay, the report must clearly be about sex.

I have no problem with people making reports on Evangelists. Where I would have a problem is if they were making the report to try to make me become an evangelist. That's discriminating, because a report like that would be implying my own choice in religion isn't the right one. This report seems to have been attempting to promote tolerance, and I'm not sure why anyone other than intollerant people would have a problem with that. Also, I think it's important to learn about people who historically have anti-gay or racist stances, because the only way to understand an issue is to understand all sides of it. Again, I would have a problem if a report on an openly homophobic politician were trying to encourage their discriminatory views. But if it were just to increase general knowledge of the politician and his views, then go for it. I fully advocate reading Mein Kampf, because unless we understand Hitler, we're not going to understand why the Nazi's did what they did, and unless we understand that, how are we to prevent similar incidents from occuring in the future?

Quote:
I understand why the girls teacher was upset. The teacher was put on the spot - and couldn't help but imagine being 'attacked' by some of the more 'militant' anti-anything-controversial parents IF the girls report was allowed to be read. So the teacher decided to error on the side of caution by placing the responsibility for the decision on the shoulders of the school principal. [At least that's how I 'read' it] The principal made the final decision.

IF I was 'running things' down there I would take this directly to the parents. ALL OF THEM. Far too often decisions are made based on the willingness of SOME parents to shout and scream and threaten, "My way or there will be trouble!" And that can be pretty scary. Especially if you rarely here anything from parents who do NOT share that point of view. But I think the parents [The one's making and/or implies threats] represent the minority and right now - the school board needs the support of the majority. I would say - in a letter to all parents - "We're not sure what to do when issues like this come up and we need your help." And if they get that help - that support - they can then find the courage to stand up to those few who would argue against the policies of the school board insofar as what is and what is not appropriate.
The fact that there may be homophobic parents doesn't mean we shouldn't try to encourage children to be more tolerant. I don't so much care about what the majority of the parents think, as much as I care about tolerance. Think of Ruby Bridges, the first black girl to go to an all white school. The majority of the parents were completely opposed to her being in a class with their children. They picketed the school spitting at her, and withdrew their children from school. That was the majority of the parent's views. Does the fact that most of those parents were racist mean that the school should have encouraged segregation? No! It means that the school should have tried that much harder to make sure the children didn't become as ignorant as their parents.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

Last edited by Grizabella; May 25th 2009 at 09:58 PM.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 26th 2009, 04:17 AM

Kids learn from their parents, sigh, all those parents who opted to have their kids not in class while that essay was being read are all sending their kids a grand message. >:[

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 26th 2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
The fact that there may be homophobic parents doesn't mean we shouldn't try to encourage children to be more tolerant. I don't so much care about what the majority of the parents think, as much as I care about tolerance. Think of Ruby Bridges, the first black girl to go to an all white school. The majority of the parents were completely opposed to her being in a class with their children. They picketed the school spitting at her, and withdrew their children from school. That was the majority of the parent's views. Does the fact that most of those parents were racist mean that the school should have encouraged segregation? No! It means that the school should have tried that much harder to make sure the children didn't become as ignorant as their parents.
Hi Jessica!!

I hope you're OK.

The power necessary to get the upper hand to confidently counter those relatively few parents who object to the Harvey Milk report - lie with those parents who do not object. By [first] reaching out to those who do NOT object - the school board could quite possibly avoid any further disturbances to the school. With the support [One would hope] of the majority of parents behind them - the school board could re-write the 'rules' making it clear where the school stands on such things as a student writing a report on what some might consider a controversial figure. It's all well and good for anyone to hold to a 'we know best' attitude when it comes to how someone ELSE'S child should be raised and what that child should - or should not be - exposed to. But one has to be very careful when it comes to doing something like that. A lot of people get their 'backs up' when they feel as though their opinions don't matter. Even parents who would otherwise be supportive of the girl's right to have her Harvey Milk story read aloud in class - just might refuse to speak up in defense of that right - in defiance of what they perceive to be an school board that doesn't care what the parents think. [Parents are people after all - and people will often use the 'silent treatment' as a way to protest] That said - IF I were in charge - I would respectfully thank those parents who object to the Harvey Milk report and let them know that their thoughts and feelings will be taken into consideration as the 'board' decides what to do next. I would then let those same parents know that the school board is actively seeking the opinions of every parent. I would then do my best to GET those other parents to speak up and be heard. [Which is easier said than done - as those parents who are indifferent to what's going on will most likely also be reluctant to 'get involved'.] Now he's the catch. IF the school board does NOT get the support they're looking for - THEN they can allow some other entity [Think ACLU] to make the changes FOR them. Either way - the school board would always be able to argue they THEY respected the opinions of the parents. And THAT would make it far easier to make policy changes in the future. And THAT is POWER!!!

As for the Ruby Bridges story - I appreciate the argument. But that was a situation where BOTH the parents AND the school board [With a few exceptions] were fighting together against a new Government mandated policy. A new LAW in other words. IF - back in November of 1960 - it appeared as though the only people objecting to desegregating William Frantz Elementary were some of the white kids parents - I would [IF I could go back in time] suggest the school board do the same thing I'm suggesting in regard to the Harvey Milk report. First steps first - I always say!!

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#18 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 26th 2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCraig View Post
Hi Everyone!!

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!
I just wanted to comment on this too. First off I'm in college but this past semester I did a report the the documentary "Fall From Grace" which is about the most hated people in America (aka the Westboro Baptist Church) now granted this is a college setting but my teacher had no problem with it neither did the rest of the students, and the WBC is a hard group to take. What I'm saying is that it wouldn't matter what the report was on, if discrimination was used to prevent it from being presented that's wrong.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#19 (permalink)) Old
kimvia Offline
is asleep
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kim

Wink Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 27th 2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_nicola View Post
I don't get why anything to do with homosexuality is automatically assumed to be something to do with sex.
what? are you kidding? all of us GLBT heathens are a bunch of pedophiles that like to corrupt young minds and make perfectly good boys start wearing rainbow buttons and vests, and our girls start riding motor cycles.
DIRTY STINKING HEATHENS!!!

but yeah, at my high school in addition to that, we also couldn't search "Nazi" "witchcraft" or "alternative".

censorship rocks! think of how horrible of a person I'd be if i could google homosexuality, Nazi (and it makes sence that they sensored both of these, they are about as bad as each other), witchcraft and (oh heavens) alternative, just imagine the world!!!

PM me any time, ok? I'm always here to help.

What's the second amendment for?
Just in case the government takes away the first.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
and_he_is Offline
Habla conmigo!!
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Robbie

Re: Girl's report on Harvey Milk censored - May 27th 2009, 03:36 PM

So lame!! To say that Harvey Milk is some sort of topic that deals with SEX is so wrong. Hell, George Washington had sex. He should be censored too. Education on a civil rights movement is not education on sex. Sex sex sex. Is that all they think about??

Closed Thread