TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
PlasmaHam's Avatar
 

Posts: 66
Join Date: January 6th 2017

All Hail the King! - January 20th 2017, 04:53 PM

As of noon today, Trump has been officially coronated as President of the United States of America. Opinions?
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Kate*'s Avatar
 
Name: Katie
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio

Posts: 4,643
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: All Hail the King! - January 20th 2017, 05:11 PM

As a woman with a disability, I can't stand his character and I fear losing my healthcare and my rights, but attacking him, or each other won't undo this. Our energy is best spent fighting for and protecting the issues that matter to us. I'm hoping it won't be as bad as everyone thinks it will be.


Member Since: September 19, 2007
LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
MWF's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: The Best City On Earth

Posts: 1,708
Join Date: May 22nd 2010

Re: All Hail the King! - January 20th 2017, 05:55 PM

Well, he's told x number of lies already, so I don't have my hopes up.
Trump actually had some good ideas. He said he wanted single-payer health care, he says he's anti-TPP, he said he was gonna do a one trillion dollar infrastructure upgrade, he said he won't cut social security or Medicare, he said he would drain the swamp, he isn't anti-Russia*, and he appeared pretty pro-weed. But look at the party he's representing, none of that is gonna happen. As for draining the swamp, with his cabinet picks, he's basically building a swamp on the front lawn of the White House.
Instead, we'll do Reaganomics, which is a boom and bust cycle that has never worked. Add that to the Republican party's draconian social views, and we're in for a crappy four years, followed by a significantly better four years. I'm almost positive that he'll do such a bad job that his approval ratings will be early 20s, maybe even the teens. He won't get re-elected unless he does liberal things.
I could write more, but I have to go to work.
*there's a smart way and a dumb way to be pro-Russia. Hard to tell how he'll handle them.


Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while
********
 
~Radio Flyer~'s Avatar
 
Name: Violet
Gender: Other
Location: Koolibah tree

Posts: 1,340
Blog Entries: 461
Join Date: May 12th 2016

Re: All Hail the King! - January 20th 2017, 06:12 PM

I just know that I know where I stand when it comes to a man whose mentality and way of being is very similar to Hitler's.

My hope is to be more active politically with grassroots organizations. While for me, what's happening is tragic, I also know that as a people in American history, there had been tragic scary times right from the start but there was also resilience and resisting an oppressive regime. I believe it is possible for (at least some of) us to come together, organize and protect ourselves and each other. The fight for civil rights, for human rights in the generations previously, gives me a teeny ounce of hope and motivation.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
arepo's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,433
Blog Entries: 15
Join Date: June 7th 2009

Re: All Hail the King! - January 20th 2017, 10:35 PM

"All Hail the King"? What a joke. He's not someone to cheer on or approve of. If anything, he's just pellets of frozen rain that are going to muck things up for four years. Even then that's an insult to the ice pellets.


“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill
   
9 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough
*********
 
Sophrosyne's Avatar
 
Name: Raven
Age: 19
Gender: Agender
Location: Narnia

Posts: 2,167
Join Date: April 11th 2015

Re: All Hail the King! - January 20th 2017, 11:47 PM

Basically what Potato said. I feel bad for America at this point for having that elected as president. I felt bad for them before, but this? Wow.


Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
FPFanatic6661 Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
FPFanatic6661's Avatar
 
Name: Andrew
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Location: MA, USA

Posts: 24
Join Date: January 9th 2017

Re: All Hail the King! - January 21st 2017, 01:02 AM

Two words. Oh no.
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
MWF's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: The Best City On Earth

Posts: 1,708
Join Date: May 22nd 2010

Re: All Hail the King! - January 21st 2017, 02:16 AM

Yeah. That guy who's childish enough to try and sue the Onion and Bill Maher over a joke? We just gave him nuclear weapons.


Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
fallingstargirl's Avatar
 
Name: Estelle
Age: 18
Gender: Female (she/her)
Location: Virginia, USA

Posts: 542
Join Date: December 19th 2014

Re: All Hail the King! - January 21st 2017, 03:11 AM

Not a king. Not above anyone by any means.

I'm honestly scared for everyone in this country who isn't a well-off straight white man. The next four years could be a giant step backwards. I hope people don't buy into the awful things he says and does to people of color, immigrants, women, queer people, etc. So I'm going to the Women's March on Washington tomorrow! Anyone else?



The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
JollyRancher. Offline
Princess of the Unicorns
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
JollyRancher.'s Avatar
 
Name: Daisy or Dacashe
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Location: Connecticut

Posts: 423
Blog Entries: 24
Join Date: January 1st 2012

Re: All Hail the King! - January 21st 2017, 03:30 AM

As a person who was brought into the United States as a child, i am terrified about this man being president. He does not seem like a good candidate for the office which he now hold and the people he has recruited for important positions such as education, etc.. do not seem to have the understanding of the middle and poor class.

I hope to all god that we have four years of relative peace and tranquility because that is what we need. I know it wont be that way but I can only hope.
My life is now up to fate in terms of where I will be by the time the four years are up; my birth country or the country I have grown up in.


Used to be Misslostintears
If you ever want to talk or something, i am always here.
I've been around for a while now.

If someone tells you that something you love is wrong,
THEY ARE WRONG
IF someone tries to destroy your dreams,
SHOW THEM THAT WHAT THEY DO IS NOT GOING TO STOP YOU

YOU ARE YOUR OWN BOSS,
IT'S YOUR LIFE,
LIVE IT YOUR WAY!


   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
hoʻonani i ka makua mau
Average Joe
***
 
asian persuasion's Avatar
 
Name: Nicole
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Chicagoland

Posts: 121
Blog Entries: 7
Join Date: December 15th 2010

Re: All Hail the King! - January 21st 2017, 03:58 AM

Not a fan. Honestly, if anything I think the US will come to a political standstill until the next election. I don't see Trump or anyone on his cabinet having solid plans to actually accomplish much of anything. I used to say I was scared for a Trump presidency but really this guy is a joke of a politician. I'm more concerned about Americans who believe the bullshit he spews and buy into his hateful rhetoric.

Tbh as a woman of color I'm just gonna keep fighting the good fight because I know there are many others who feel the same way I do and are fighting for the same causes.
   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Proud90sKid's Avatar
 
Name: .
Gender: Male
Location: US

Posts: 302
Join Date: July 6th 2011

Re: All Hail the King! - January 21st 2017, 05:19 AM

To me this is great news- I know that is a minority opinion on here, but I'd much rather see this than a Hillary inaugeration. There just wasn't a democrat candidate who was worth voting for this year-the party should have known not to strongly support a candidate who had a pretty bad public rep- i mean, everyone I asked before this election did not want her to run- that does not bode well for a candidate and is probably one of many reasons she lost. There are many better dems who could have run, but possibly did not to give Hillary her one last chance. Trump seems promising- I am hoping he is a moderate, but his choice of attorney general has me a bit worried.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
MWF's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: The Best City On Earth

Posts: 1,708
Join Date: May 22nd 2010

Re: All Hail the King! - January 21st 2017, 05:51 AM

Yeah, I hated Hillary too. She has less charisma than C3PO and was basically a socially liberal Republican. But you think this will be better? Maybe I'll be able to convince you about how bad ALL of his picks are. It's like an anti-government.
He's picking all the people who I would have said ahead of time are the absolute WORST people for the job. A Secretary of education who doesnt believe in public education. A labor pick who doesnt believe in labor (wants automation). An EPA pick who sued the EPA. A surgeon for Housing and Urban Development. A secretary of state with a conflict of interest with Russia. A racist as Attorney General. An openly corrupt lawmaker for HHS. Mitch McConnell's wife for Transportation. A Goldman Sachs banker for Treasury (He evicted a 90 year old woman for being 27 cents short on rent). The CEO of WWE for Small Business Administration. Not to mention the über-aggressive army guys for Defense and Homeland Security. There are a few more that I'm less familiar with.
And check out this gem; He put Rick Perry in charge of the energy department even though he wanted to get rid of it in 2012 when he ran. Worst part is, he just found out what it is. He thought it was oil-related, and that maybe he would be some sort of oil lobbyist. Noooope, the Department of Energy deals with maintaining and developing nukes and nuclear reactors.
This is a comically bad situation. Hillary would have sucked, but not like this.


Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
   
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough
*********
 
Jesus Christ.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,301
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: All Hail the King! - January 21st 2017, 09:55 AM

Trump was definitely the better pick and I am glad to see that he won over Clinton, at least there won't be a WW3 for a while now.

The real joke is that the only options were Trump and Hillary, GG America, GG.
   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Clarent's Avatar
 
Name: L.
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: Poland, EU

Posts: 392
Join Date: December 27th 2013

Re: All Hail the King! - January 21st 2017, 01:32 PM

You people seriously need to realize what sarcasm is, the responses I'm seeing here are laughable.

As for Trump himself, I'm Polish, and we all know how it is to have a shit government (ours been that way since... 1800+, pretty much?), and similar to others, I have little love for him.

That being said, I do hope he turns out to be at least not hopelessly atrocious. Cause having a powerhouse country in his hands might prove downright dangerous.


The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.
   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
PlasmaHam's Avatar
 

Posts: 66
Join Date: January 6th 2017

Re: All Hail the King! - January 21st 2017, 06:41 PM

First of all, the title of this thread was meant to be a mockery of leftist opinion of Trump. I'm not actually proclaiming him king, get a sense of humor!

Secondly, the responses here are down-right comedic. I'm not a serious Trump fan, he was probably my least favorite GOP nominee, but he isn't going to start WWIII or start persecuting all the minorities. That is all leftist propaganda with no basis in fact. My personal theory as to why so many young people believe these myths is because they've grown up under the Obama Administration and hasn't seen conservatism in action. I am going to address a few points Y'all have brought up:

Healthcare: Obamacare is obviously failing, even Clinton admitted such. There needs to be either a major reform or replacement of it, otherwise the system will crash and burn in a few years. Trump and the GOP have both claimed that they are working on replacing Obamacare and has stated that no one on Obamacare would lose insurance. Will that happen? IDK, but there is no direct threat currently on your healthcare, and even if there was people survived fine before Obamacare.

Immigration: Trump has repeatably, repeatably stated that he wants to get rid of illegal immigrants, not immigrants as a whole. There is a big difference between the two and it constantly saddens me when the left thinks that someone who is against illegal immigration is against all immigration. Unless you are here illegally, you won't be deported. Trump is MARRIED to an immigrant for crying out loud, I don't think he hates immigrants

Attorney General Sessions:The guy may have expressed free speech in the past, but he was also very influential in successfully prosecuting a KKK leader and even gave the death penalty to KKK members. Actions speak louder than words, don't you say?

Race Relations
: Its doubtful that race relations would deteriorate as bad as they did under Obama.

LGBT+: I really don't see why liberals claim that Trumps hates gays. Of all the GOP candidates, Trump is the most lenient on the issue of homosexuality and transgender junk. I don't see him repealing any prior legislation on the issue. However, I don't see him advancing the LGBT+ cause either, but that isn't going to result in a round-up and extermination of all gays.

Hitler Comparisons: Hitler comparisons are the lowest form of debating on the internet and is very offensive to those who actually endured the Holocaust and to Jews in general. Don't do it.


I don't have time to continue, but let me say one last thing. Regardless of whom is in the office, we should respect the office and position of the president. That is just good etiquette and shows respect toward the democratic process of our country. I did it for years under Obama, you can try to do the same.
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Celyn's Avatar
 
Name: Holly
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Wales

Posts: 5,489
Blog Entries: 151
Join Date: June 16th 2009

Re: All Hail the King! - January 21st 2017, 09:02 PM

I can't believe the climate change and LGBT pages have been taken down from the whitehouse website.

I'll admit, I didn't believe it at first, until I checked it out for myself. Then I searched the website for 'climate change' and no results at all.

I've heard the excuse that maybe they're adding information as they go along. I'll wait, but given that Trump doesn't even believe that climate change is real, I think I'll be waiting a long time...


HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!


Last edited by Celyn; January 21st 2017 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Grammar -_-
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while
********
 
Nightblood.'s Avatar
 
Gender: She/Her
Location: United States

Posts: 1,829
Blog Entries: 37
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: All Hail the King! - January 21st 2017, 09:36 PM

Healthcare is the one thing that concerns me the most. The future for healthcare is very uncertain right now, as they've released no replacement plan. If they were to bring back pre-existing conditions, which has been discussed, it's going to be very difficult for me because without my very expensive medication my condition is very disabling. On the same note, it seems likely that they'll bring back annual and lifetime limits for insurance which also means I would be without my medicine. This specific medicine costs over $10,000 a month and is the ONLY FDA approved medicine to treat a specific part of my condition. There's also a couple cancer concerns in my immediate family, and again, a limit on how much insurance will spend means cancer treatment may not be possible. I do hope that they don't just change the health care system, but also the pharmaceutical industry. Part of the problem with insurance is all the price gouging of drugs, and in many cases the drastic price increases are entirely unnecessary.

My other biggest concern is his cabinet, specifically his pick for Secretary of Education. Betsy DeVos is not fit for the job. She doesn't believe in public education, she believes in for profit christian schools. She has never been an educator, she has no teaching credentials. Just look at what she's done to Michigan. I'm not against charter schools at all, but I am against schools having no standards or oversight. Many of the charter schools she's supported have had very low scores. I'm not doubting that she loves children, and I'm not doubting her intentions. I'm doubting her qualifications to understand how children learn, and how they develop. You'd be hard pressed to find a principal of a school with no education experience, why should the secretary of education be any different? I do know her position isn't set in stone, and I really hope that someone else is picked.

Basically, a lot of Trump's picks for cabinet members are severely unqualified for the positions. I also don't think Trump should be on twitter. I'm concerned he's going to say something that WILL cause issues with other countries.

I can't say that I respect Trump just because he's president, he's said a lot of things that were disrespectful. That's not to say it's impossible for him to earn my respect, but as of now he hasn't earned it. But I'm also not going to call him Hitler, or wish him dead, or many of the other terrible things some people say. I also don't care how much you disagree with Trump, how much you don't like him, there is absolutely zero excuse to say anything about his 10 year old son. It is not okay for adults to say terrible things about a child.

As for the website, I think a lot of people don't understand what the white house website is. The website is for the current administration, and is wiped clean when someone else takes over. The previous white house website is now archived at ObamaWhiteHouse.gov The webpages were not taken down maliciously. Yes, there were a lot more pages on the site when it was under Obama but the site was built over 8 years. I don't expect to see a new LGBT page though, since that has never been one of Trump's major issues. There's a couple blog posts that explain what happened.

From this blog post:
Quote:
Similar to the Clinton and Bush White House websites, President Obama’s WhiteHouse.gov will be preserved on the web and frozen after January 20th and made available at ObamaWhiteHouse.gov. The incoming White House will receive the WhiteHouse.gov domain and all content that has been posted to WhiteHouse.gov during the Obama administration will be archived with NARA.
And here is a blog post detailing what is happening with various accounts.



"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while
********
 
~Radio Flyer~'s Avatar
 
Name: Violet
Gender: Other
Location: Koolibah tree

Posts: 1,340
Blog Entries: 461
Join Date: May 12th 2016

Re: All Hail the King! - January 22nd 2017, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Hitler Comparisons: Hitler comparisons are the lowest form of debating on the internet and is very offensive to those who actually endured the Holocaust and to Jews in general. Don't do it.
Stated by Martin Weiss, a Holocaust survivor who was featured in an article in the Washington Post:
Quote:
“I don’t want to make any comparison to Hitler, but believe it or not his delivery and the way he conducts himself is very similar to Hitler’s way of doing things. He discredits everybody who disagrees with him. He’s insulting. He discriminates against everybody.”
Also I'm a Jew and don't find it offensive and have made the comparison myself, as did many other people (many of whom are Jews) whose opinions are credible. Sure, perhaps I'm not a Holocaust survivor myself but the Holocaust is part of my heritage's history and my people.

Quote:
I don't have time to continue, but let me say one last thing. Regardless of whom is in the office, we should respect the office and position of the president. That is just good etiquette and shows respect toward the democratic process of our country. I did it for years under Obama, you can try to do the same.

I mean, I dont think people who protest the Trump administration is being disrespectful. They're simply fighting for their lives.
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
PlasmaHam's Avatar
 

Posts: 66
Join Date: January 6th 2017

Re: All Hail the King! - January 22nd 2017, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-the-way View Post
Stated by Martin Weiss, a Holocaust survivor who was featured in an article in the Washington Post:


Also I'm a Jew and don't find it offensive and have made the comparison myself, as did many other people (many of whom are Jews) whose opinions are credible. Sure, perhaps I'm not a Holocaust survivor myself but the Holocaust is part of my heritage's history and my people.
I know many Jews that would disagree with you. Regardless, that still does not justify using Hitler comparisons, as I've stated it is the laziest form of debating on the internet. There are literal memes mocking that form of argument. Unless someone is doing ethnic genocide of millions of people and starting WWIII, don't call them Hitler.

"Fighting for their lives"? Give me a break, they just want their free entitlements.
   
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
MWF's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: The Best City On Earth

Posts: 1,708
Join Date: May 22nd 2010

Re: All Hail the King! - January 22nd 2017, 03:36 AM

Dude, if you're paying taxes for something, it isn't free. It's significantly more affordable for the average person because they pay in tax for a service instead of out of pocket. That's just a right wing talking point to make liberals sound entitled and lazy. In reality, this country has drifted so far to the right that we've forgotten that the successful economic policies of the "Golden Age of Economics" (the 50s and 60s) were extremely socialist compared to what we have now, where a majority of Democratic lawmakers are paid to be center, center-right to help their donors and the Republicans are paid to allow what is essentially economic anarchy for their donors. When it comes to social issues, the democrats have definitely drifted left, but that leaves people like Obama and Clinton the excuse to say that they're liberal. They really aren't that liberal at all when it comes to economics.
As a Michigander, any concerns about Betsy Devos are completely warranted. She and Rick Snyder have obliterated the schools here. The Detroit Public schools are destitute and falling apart (no exaggeration at all). My little brother is at a charter school and is being taught by a computer instead of a teacher. There's a 'mentor' whose job is to supervise the kids at a fraction of the price of a real teacher. My dad was a teacher and got about 40% in paycuts while the Republicans were/are in office, so I'll confess to a personal grudge for Snyder and Devos. I never knew a whole lot about Betsy Devos though and the weird thing is, I expected Devos to be intelligent, because how else can she destroy the system so well? In reality, after watching her hearing, I realize that Betsy Devos is basically the Sarah Palin of Education. She's incredibly stupid on the topic of education and basically every point that she made was shut down.
And if we want to fix healthcare, we have to ACTUALLY socialize it. The ACA is the most watered down version of 'socialized' healthcare because the insurance companies still have a ton of control. In fact, the idea of the ACA was actually a right wing idea to begin with. The Heritage Foundation (a right wing think tank) thought of it in the 80s to counter single-payer health care and the Republican Party tried to run with it. Newt Gingrich wanted it, Bob Dole wanted it, a lot more Republicans wanted it in the 80s, and Mitt Romney implemented it as a governor. The Democrats in Obama's first term had the numbers for single-payer but their donors told them not to do it, and here we have a mediocre compromise. They didn't even get the public option, which would've been better, but not as good as single-payer. I didn't think there was some sort of grey area between no government healthcare at all and the ACA, but it looks like if the Republicans are going to replace Obamacare, they're going to do this comically bad voucher system where they give you a set amount of money (say 10,000 dollars) and say, "go buy your own health insurance". If you have a pre-existing condition, you won't be able to find someone who will insure you. Health in general simply isn't something that should be left to capitalism because the incentives are so perverse. Hey, you want me to give you that lifesaving surgery? Sweet, I'll do it for 50,000 dollars. So your choices are either death or bankruptcy.
I do agree though that there won't be anybody like Hitler except for Hitler. Especially nowadays with social media and a camera in every phone, there just isn't any way to get away with a Holocaust like the one in WW2. What I'm more worried about is the same thing the US has been doing for years, pointing at a country and saying, "there are bad people there! We have to give them democracy!" and then obliterating the entire country without regard to civilian lives, like Vietnam and Iraq.


Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
TheTameLion Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
TheTameLion's Avatar
 
Name: Jeff
Gender: Male
Location: Canada

Posts: 84
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: October 25th 2014

Re: All Hail the King! - January 22nd 2017, 06:15 AM

I could live with everything he is saying if he was at least consistent. The problem is he is hardly even a conservative, he's a populist. So being a conservative, he's going to drive America towards a cliff at 60mph but also make conservatism a joke while he's at it. It's tragic to me, as a conservative.
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
TheTameLion Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
TheTameLion's Avatar
 
Name: Jeff
Gender: Male
Location: Canada

Posts: 84
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: October 25th 2014

Re: All Hail the King! - January 22nd 2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ. View Post
Trump was definitely the better pick and I am glad to see that he won over Clinton, at least there won't be a WW3 for a while now.

The real joke is that the only options were Trump and Hillary, GG America, GG.
I tend to agree, however my problem is that while Clinton would drive us towards the cliff at 50mph, and Trump would drive us towards the cliff at 40mph, Trump will make a laughing stock of conservatism while he's at it which is depressing for a conservative such as myself.
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
PlasmaHam's Avatar
 

Posts: 66
Join Date: January 6th 2017

Re: All Hail the King! - January 22nd 2017, 07:46 PM

You can be a populist and a conservative, the terms aren't contradictory. I would agree though that Trump is not a true conservative, and instead uses it as a cover for his actual agenda, which is closer to late twentieth century liberalism.


"Donald J. Trump, Eternal President of the United States, God-Emperor of Mankind, Defender of the Faith, Führer of the free world, Kaiser und Reichskanzler of the Tausendjähriges Trumpenreich, and literally the only reason you should have a Twitter account." -Random neo-nazi friend of mine


"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"-Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by PlasmaHam; January 23rd 2017 at 12:22 AM.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
MWF's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: The Best City On Earth

Posts: 1,708
Join Date: May 22nd 2010

Re: All Hail the King! - January 22nd 2017, 10:49 PM

Classical liberalism, by definition, is basically libertarianism. Seeing as many libertarians don't believe in borders because that involves bigger government, and based on the fact that Trump won't get rid of the NSA spying, Donald Trump totally isn't a libertarian. He also doesn't want to do trade deals like TPP or NAFTA, also libertarian. And when you're backed by a Republican party that openly believes in telling people how to live their life, he's even less Libertarian. If you mixed up the terms, thats fine and its often confused with modern liberalism, but if you're trying to say he's a modern liberal, you're even more wrong.
[Edited]


Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Last edited by MsNobleEleanor; January 26th 2017 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Off topic, please stay on topic.
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
PlasmaHam's Avatar
 

Posts: 66
Join Date: January 6th 2017

Re: All Hail the King! - January 23rd 2017, 12:45 AM

I misspoke in my previous post. I was referring more towards National Liberalism and Neoliberalism, which are often seen as subsets of Classical Liberalism but are not actually Classical Liberalism, my mistake with my earlier post.

I would respond to your false statement regarding my signature but I have better things to do.


"Donald J. Trump, Eternal President of the United States, God-Emperor of Mankind, Defender of the Faith, Führer of the free world, Kaiser und Reichskanzler of the Tausendjähriges Trumpenreich, and literally the only reason you should have a Twitter account." -Random neo-nazi friend of mine


"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"-Abraham Lincoln
   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
PlasmaHam's Avatar
 

Posts: 66
Join Date: January 6th 2017

Re: All Hail the King! - January 23rd 2017, 02:27 AM

I hope that Trump keeps on with his promise to promote relations with Israel. They are our only true ally and democracy in that region yet we constantly treat it like trash. The talks today between Trump and Netanyahu reassured my hopes. If there is one thing I appreciate about Trump, is that he stands with Israel. I know a guy in Israel and they are very excited about improving relations under King Trump I.

As for Russia, Trump's approach is questionable. As michwolverinefreak said, there is a good way and a bad way to improve Russian relations. I feel that most of the Republicans in Congress and even a decent amount of the Democrats support the good way, but Trump is far from your typical politician. I just hope he takes a firm stance against Russia's actions in Ukraine and Syria and not be afraid to confront Putin if Russia crosses the line.


"Donald J. Trump, Eternal President of the United States, God-Emperor of Mankind, Defender of the Faith, Führer of the free world, Kaiser und Reichskanzler of the Tausendjähriges Trumpenreich, and literally the only reason you should have a Twitter account." -Random neo-nazi friend of mine


"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"-Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by PlasmaHam; January 23rd 2017 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Better defining my stances
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
MWF's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: The Best City On Earth

Posts: 1,708
Join Date: May 22nd 2010

Re: All Hail the King! - January 24th 2017, 04:13 AM

Well, Trump pulled out of the TPP today (Trans Pacific Partnership). The TPP was a complete disaster of an idea that would've made NAFTA look like child play. That's actually a great move, and I'll give Trump credit where credit is due. Hillary almost certainly wouldn't have done that.
Edit: My thoughts on the current state of Israel summarized, (minus the anti-theism). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwnHwfAPodQ


Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Last edited by MWF; January 25th 2017 at 10:10 PM.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
PlasmaHam's Avatar
 

Posts: 66
Join Date: January 6th 2017

Re: All Hail the King! - January 26th 2017, 09:06 PM

I'm not wanting to get off-topic here, but I do not see the negativity of Israel taking over Palenstine. There have been multiple attempts throughout history in which Israel has offered the Palestinians their own state, but they never took it because they won't even recognize Israel as a state, and most Palestinian organizations actually support the destruction of Israel. It should be obvious that the Palestinians do not want peace, while Israel has graciously offered it numerous times. I don't understand why people think that Israel should continue to suffer constant terror attacks yet not have any right to put a stop to it.

Meanwhile, Obama is his parting anti-Israel shot attempted to send 200 million to Palestine. Luckily Trump and Congress stopped it from happening.


"Donald J. Trump, Eternal President of the United States, God-Emperor of Mankind, Defender of the Faith, Führer of the free world, Kaiser und Reichskanzler of the Tausendjähriges Trumpenreich, and literally the only reason you should have a Twitter account." -Random neo-nazi friend of mine


"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"-Abraham Lincoln
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Jess~'s Avatar
 
Name: jess
Age: 20
Gender: chick with an imaginary dick
Location: hell

Posts: 908
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: November 26th 2012

Re: All Hail the King! - January 28th 2017, 01:53 AM

I wanted him to win over Hillary for sure. I think economically, things will improve. Socially, probably not.
After cringing through the entire pro-life thing on one of the Snapchat news stories it said something like he already signed off for the government to discontinue funding to places like Planned Parenthood, which was my biggest fear for his presidency. Definitely not sure if that's entirely true or not, as it was freaking Snapchat news and I haven't gotten a chance to do my own research on that.
Luckily I got a years worth of birth control, but what about the other 3 years?
I'm very cautious and a little scared to be honest.

However, I have hopes for him and I'm definitely all for giving him a chance. I didn't like everything Obama did, but I still respected him as my president, because it takes a strong person to take on the difficult role of leading an entire country. I think these immature rioters and protestors should keep that in mind too.


i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Coffee.'s Avatar
 
Name: Traci
Age: 26
Gender: she/her/hers
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 8,147
Blog Entries: 639
Join Date: October 29th 2009

Re: All Hail the King! - January 28th 2017, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
I'm not wanting to get off-topic here, but I do not see the negativity of Israel taking over Palenstine. There have been multiple attempts throughout history in which Israel has offered the Palestinians their own state, but they never took it because they won't even recognize Israel as a state
I've never heard about this. Source?


I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
TheAtomicBlade's Avatar
 
Name: Tortellini
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Location: Executor Star Ship

Posts: 950
Join Date: May 7th 2016

Re: All Hail the King! - January 28th 2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee. View Post


I've never heard about this. Source?
I've read it in my history books for high school (20th Century World History), and it did state that initially there were attempts to create a Palestinian State that the Israelis did accept but were declined by the Arabic States (including Palestine although I'm not sure as to how much of a say they really had), and that Israel isn't recognised as a State by the Arabic nations (However, again I'm not sure how much it is in relation to Palestine).

Coming to the topic though, I personally believe Trump is not going to be a good president. While some of his economics ideas do make sense in theory, end of the day, it comes at too high a price. Also, his ideas regarding women's health, foreign policy etc is not a good idea. In fact, China is considering moving its nuclear weapons closer to the Russian Border where they can be fired at the USA. SOURCE

However, all that said, I have to say, I'd rather Trump stays in power rather than Mike Pence coming in. That would be worse, since in my opinion Pence is more, for want of a better word, backwards than Trump.

Just my two cents.


PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.
   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Coffee.'s Avatar
 
Name: Traci
Age: 26
Gender: she/her/hers
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 8,147
Blog Entries: 639
Join Date: October 29th 2009

Re: All Hail the King! - January 29th 2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguy View Post
IComing to the topic though
True, true. I might start a Israel thread (or would love to participate if somebody makes it before me) cuz I'd love to continue this conversation about it, but thanks for the redirect, I got distracted.

On Trump, I must say, he's kept to his campaign promises. In all of their bigotry.


I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
.:Bibliophile:.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Just me

Posts: 16,576
Blog Entries: 1722
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: All Hail the King! - January 29th 2017, 03:59 PM

I am just amazed that anyone could think that what Trump is doing is okay. He's definitely kept his promises and it just keeps getting worse and worse. It's going to be a long four years.


|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
PlasmaHam's Avatar
 

Posts: 66
Join Date: January 6th 2017

Re: All Hail the King! - January 29th 2017, 09:30 PM

I wonder when the protesters are finally going to realize that Trump doesn't roll over because they scream and wave signs. I am personally going to love these next 4 years, not just because of Trump but because I just love watching some fruitless outrage.

A point I forgot to mention earlier. Someone mentioned that the argument of "Free entitlements" is entirely false because we have to pay taxes. My response is as such. Those who want those free entitlements are mainly poorer and younger, thus they don't pay that much in taxes. And they are not offering to pay more taxes in exchange for free entitlements, they are wanting to force the upper-class to pay for those free entitlements. Thus they get free entitlements without paying anymore in taxes before they got those free entitlements.

And that isn't even mentioning illegal immigrants who don't pay income taxes yet get welfare payments.


"Donald J. Trump, Eternal President of the United States, God-Emperor of Mankind, Defender of the Faith, Führer of the free world, Kaiser und Reichskanzler of the Tausendjähriges Trumpenreich, and literally the only reason you should have a Twitter account." -Random neo-nazi friend of mine


"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"-Abraham Lincoln
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Kate*'s Avatar
 
Name: Katie
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio

Posts: 4,643
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: All Hail the King! - January 29th 2017, 10:17 PM

People have the right to peaceful protest, but there is a point at which you move on. The fact that all he's done is sign executive orders, one of which is already ruled unconstitutional is concerning considering it's only been a week. I'm just glad for the system of checks and balances.


Member Since: September 19, 2007
LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
PlasmaHam's Avatar
 

Posts: 66
Join Date: January 6th 2017

Re: All Hail the King! - January 30th 2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
...one of which is already ruled unconstitutional is concerning considering it's only been a week.
Which executive order of his has been ruled by a Federal court to be unconstitutional? It seems like people would be talking about that.

If you are talking about the recent immigration pause, the only court rulings have been allowing people who recently entered the country to stay. That did not say that the executive order was unconstitutional, it just cleared up an issue with the admittedly rash implementation of it.


"Donald J. Trump, Eternal President of the United States, God-Emperor of Mankind, Defender of the Faith, Führer of the free world, Kaiser und Reichskanzler of the Tausendjähriges Trumpenreich, and literally the only reason you should have a Twitter account." -Random neo-nazi friend of mine


"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"-Abraham Lincoln
   
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
MWF's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: The Best City On Earth

Posts: 1,708
Join Date: May 22nd 2010

Re: All Hail the King! - January 30th 2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
I wonder when the protesters are finally going to realize that Trump doesn't roll over because they scream and wave signs. I am personally going to love these next 4 years, not just because of Trump but because I just love watching some fruitless outrage.

A point I forgot to mention earlier. Someone mentioned that the argument of "Free entitlements" is entirely false because we have to pay taxes. My response is as such. Those who want those free entitlements are mainly poorer and younger, thus they don't pay that much in taxes. And they are not offering to pay more taxes in exchange for free entitlements, they are wanting to force the upper-class to pay for those free entitlements. Thus they get free entitlements without paying anymore in taxes before they got those free entitlements.

And that isn't even mentioning illegal immigrants who don't pay income taxes yet get welfare payments.
If you can raise up the poor, they'll end up paying more taxes when they're able to once they're risen out of poverty. When you invest in your citizens, they give back. That's why the GI Bill (which gives servicemen/women free college after service) has a 7:1 return. Thats why you might have heard the saying "Its not a handout, its a hand up", which means the government is helping people get back on their feet so they can be productive on their own. And as for the rich, I don't care about them. They'll be fine assuming no matter what as long as their taxes aren't completely unreasonable. When our economy was doing extremely well in the 50s, we had a top marginal tax rate of 91% (meaning after you make a certain amount you have to give 91% of the remainder in taxes). They were still doing just fine. I'm not sure if you'd have as many Walmart-esque chain business with much higher taxes, but I'd say thats a good thing because giant corporations tend to treat their workers like shit.
And on the topic of Israel, their conflict with Palestine is such a convoluted conflict that my support would have been switching at various times over the years. I would've supported them at almost any other time, actually, because they were legally buying their land from Palestinians until WW2. As more Jews came to Palestine though, the Palestinians were offered weaker and weaker deals because they had less population leverage. If the Palestinians had the foresight, they would've accepted a deal a long time ago but they didn't. But right now, Israel is the aggressor, and they're killing mostly civilians in the West Bank. They get more than 40 billion dollars in American aid for weapons while Obama tried to give Palestine money for humanitarian aid. They're also basically running an apartheid government that treats Palestinians as second-class citizens. So no, under Netanyahu, I don't support what Israel's doing.

Definitely worth mentioning: illegal immigrants aren't allowed welfare. Schooling and emergency care yes, welfare and food stamps, no. They actually pay taxes for benefits they can't receive.


Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
america, hail, king, president, trump

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2018, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.