TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

View Poll Results: Are you Pro-life or Pro-choice
pro-life 21 28.00%
pro-choice 54 72.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough
*********
 
Casey.'s Avatar
 
Name: Casey
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in my mind

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 337
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 06:36 AM

Okay, so I've been noticing a lot of threads on abortion and such lately. So I was curious whether you are pro-life or pro-choice and why.

If you are pro-life,why?Do you believe that abortion is alright in certain situations, like the mother would die if she carried to term? Or is abortion just a big no, something no one should do?

If you are pro-choice, why? Would you, yourself, have an abortion? Are you against abortion but believe each to their own?

And please note, if this thread turns into just fights I will have a moderator close it.This is for debating, but please try to respect others views.


She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.


Smile through the tears.


PM me

  Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough
*********
 
BrittneyNicole's Avatar
 
Name: Brittney
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Maryland

Posts: 2,040
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 06:56 AM

I'm pro-choice. I don't think that I, personally, would ever be able to go through with an abortion if I ended up pregnant but I do think that I should be entitled to the option of having one. And I believe that every woman should have the option of abortion as a way to deal with an unwanted pregnancy. I believe there are way too many "what-ifs" when it comes to pregnancy, such as rape and abuse and the health of the baby and the mother, so there can't really be specific exceptions because someone will always find a way and I'd much rather an abortion be done in a safe clinic then in the back alley.


"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

  Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Grizabella's Avatar
 
Name: Jessica
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 1,305
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 06:57 AM

I think the abortion thread trend started with me...I made a thread asking if I was legally obligated to tell the father I was aborting his child, and so as follow up, people started creating abortion debate threads.

Anyways, I'm pro-choice. I don't think anyone has the right to tell a woman what she can and cannot do with her own body. I don't consider a fetus a person until it has self awareness, and I don't consider it wrong to remove a pile of cells from a uterus. I would have an abortion if I became pregnant (what I was referring to turned out to be a false alarm) regardless of the circumstances. If I were raped, then yes, absolutely, I would have an abortion. If I used contraception and it failed, I would have an abortion. If I, for some stupid reason, weren't using contraception and became pregnant, I would have an abortion. There's no situation where I wouldn't. It wouldn't matter to me if the father wanted to keep it either - I would not put my body through a nine month pregnancy for a man's benefit.


Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Khadra's Avatar
 
Name: Kathlene
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Lima, Peru

Posts: 736
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 07:05 AM

I'm pro-choice but it is highly unlikely that I'd ever have an abortion. When I think about it I know that the fetus is really just a bunch of cells and I don't consider it a baby. However, the emotional (and slightly irrational) side of me can't stomach the thought of terminating something that looks like a baby. I love kids and I know if I had an abortion I'd always be thinking about it and feeling bad. I don't think anyone should be forced to go through with a pregnancy though, even if they were being careless.


It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)


Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Gaia's Avatar
 
Name: Lou
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: ekam eveileb

Posts: 3,807
Blog Entries: 8
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 09:29 AM

I'm pro-choice, but very very safe. So the chances of me getting an abortion are slim. I firmly believe a child should be wanted, and unless I was in a stable relationship, where when we heard the news, we wanted the child, and we had enough money to raise it comfortably, I would get an abortion. I will not raise an unwanted child, nor give up my dreams for an 'accident'. Call me harsh, but a child should have the best, and not resentful parents.


"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?
**********
 
bitesize's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Ireland

Posts: 3,944
Blog Entries: 321
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 10:25 AM

I've been pro-choice since I found out what abortion was. Without sounding too heartless, I believe that people have a right to undo their mistakes if they can, if that's what they need to do and if that's what's best for the situation.
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 03:10 PM

Very much pro-choice. I don't see a fetus as a child, it's a potential human being not one yet and everytime we use contraception we stop potential human beings from becoming. I don't think that the government has any right to stick it's nose in the issue of abortion. It's a woman's body it's a woman's choice. The man has NO say I'm soryy but it's true. He wants a kid he can go get some other girl pregnant, no woman should have to go through 9 months of pain to give birth to a child relying that it's going to be taken care of by the father, who may change his mind in 9 months and where does that leave the mother? I believe that abortion is taking responsibility in some cases even more so than having the child, especially if you are a minor. I mean if a 14 year old gets kicked out of her house because she's pregnant does it really make sense for her to have her child when she has no place to go and is still a child herself?

As for me, well I'm currently a virgin and on the pill and plan to use other protection so the likeliness of me getting pregnant is very slim (now that I said that it's probably going to happen). But if I was raped, or some freak thing happened and I wasn't ready, then yeah I'd do it.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?
**********
 
WashoutThePain's Avatar
 
Name: Ask Away!
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere to be found

Posts: 4,749
Blog Entries: 377
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 03:14 PM

Pro-choice. No doubt. You can make babies any day.


   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Incompris Offline
Isaiah 40:30-31
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Incompris's Avatar
 
Name: Chandler
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Location: Georgia

Posts: 201
Join Date: May 22nd 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 03:20 PM

I'm "Pro-life." I don't believe in killing a baby in any situation. I believe each child is a gift from God and is there for a reason. If the child is not meant to be, God will take the child himself. As as man, I would have absolutely no say over a child's life before birth, but I would never be able to stand by someone who chooses to abort. I don't think I could take it, as I see it as murder.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 29
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,540
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 04:39 PM

I'm "pro-choice"

I think it really depends on the situation. Generally speaking...if you don't want a kid, you always use protection. If you get pregnant and you don't use protection, I think that you shouldn't be allowed to have an abortion. If you don't want the kid...fine...put it up for adoption, but don't let an unborn child's potential life be taken away just because you were stupid.

If the condom breaks or somehow your birth control doesn't work, then I think that it's reasonable to let the couple have an abortion. They took the precautions, and she still ends up pregnant -- that's a mistake on the product's part (unless you like completely screw up a condom).

Plus there's a lot of other situations such as rape, or an irresponsible mother from beginning (a mother who smokes cigarettes, drinks alcohol, and etc when she's pregnant). If I was going to be raised by an irresponsible mother, all deformed and shit, you might as well kill me before that happens -- I'd be better off in the hospital trash-can.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
SillyEvee's Avatar
 
Name: EV
Age: 27
Gender: None
Location: Now

Posts: 511
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 06:11 PM

Firstly, I hate the terms "pro-life" and "pro-choice." They were both created by the other side in an attempt to demonize. I'm pro-choice. Does that mean I'm anti-life? No! If someone is "pro-life," does that make them against choices? They're ridiculous terms. But I recognize the need to use words we dislike sometimes so people get what we're talking about. [/rant]

I don't think I'd ever be able to have an abortion, because I do believe it's wrong to end the potential human life. If I didn't get an abortion, there's no question that the bundle of cells would become a real, whole, person. It's such an immense decision! I think adoption is the way I'd go.
But with that in consideration, who am I to tell every woman how she should feel about that?! The law does not recognize fetuses as people, so the law shouldn't make it wrong to abort them. If a fetus can't hold stock, own property, vote, inherit or be counted in a census, then it doesn't make sense, under the law, to treat it as a person. It's just illogical, in law, to treat a fetus as a person and give it the same protection as a post-birth child, who can inherit, be murdered, be counted in a census and listed as a dependant on a taxes. The law's already made this distinction. The only reason we still fight about it is religious sentimentalism and the refusal of some people to accept that they won't always agree with the laws of their country. If you're against abortion for moral reasons (as I am) just don't get one!


--EV--
Congrats Canada's Juniors! 5 in a row!
Last Sunday morning, the sunshine felt like rain.
Week before, they all seemed the same.
And oh, I ain't wastin' time no more
Cause time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things.
--The Allman Brothers Band


Things seem impossible until you start to do them.

PM me anytime. I love to talk. :]
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while
********
 
Heretic's Avatar
 
Name: [060191.1723]
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: 43.337557, -89.638498

Posts: 1,695
Blog Entries: 9
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 07:29 PM

As a male, I don't have a high level of input, but I voted pro-choice. I think that abortions should be rare, but available in case of emergencies, i.e. rape or a serious threat to the mother's health.


Ethos
Pathos
Logos

050516.0029
  Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Pelios's Avatar
 
Name: Andrea
Gender: Female
Location: México

Posts: 3,691
Blog Entries: 48
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 07:32 PM

I am Pro life. Every child is a gift from God. If God allows a child to be conceived, then God obviously has a plan for that child. Mary's parents didn't know that she'd give birth to the Savior of the world, but she did. God has a plan for unborn children, so to abort an unborn child is to stop a plan of God.
Jeremiah 1:5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you a prophet to the nations I appointed you."


Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Grizabella's Avatar
 
Name: Jessica
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 1,305
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 07:41 PM

I've never understood the idea of "if I used protection and got pregnant accidentally I'd have an abortion, but if I didn't use protection abortion is suddenly very wrong!" Honestly, either destroying a fetus is wrong, or destroying a fetus is not wrong. The parents using or not using protection shouldn't factor in - a baby is not a consequence, and it should definitely not be used as a punishment.


Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while
********
 
LucyLouWho's Avatar
 
Name: Chelsey
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: West Virginia, US

Posts: 1,968
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 08:01 PM

I'm pro-life because I don't believe that anyone should be able to choose who gets a chance at life and who doesn't. It's not our place make that kind of decision for someone else based on how it's going to affect us.

But with that being said, I don't have the breath to argue against abortion because it's a never ending debate. Some people think it's okay to kill unborn children... I don't. And that's what I'll leave it as.


Previously Mommy.Wife.Student
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post
I am Pro life. Every child is a gift from God. If God allows a child to be conceived, then God obviously has a plan for that child. Mary's parents didn't know that she'd give birth to the Savior of the world, but she did. God has a plan for unborn children, so to abort an unborn child is to stop a plan of God.
Jeremiah 1:5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you a prophet to the nations I appointed you."
Since this is a debate I'm going to do so. First I want to say I'm not attacking you personally or your reasons for personally not wanting an abortion, HOWEVER...

The reasons you've given are all religious based which of course means it has no place in the government. It's fine if your religious beliefs lead you to this conclusion but those are your beliefs and many people don't share them. Religion does not belong in the law period. And I think that's a pretty strong reason why abortion is currently legal. In fact I challenge a pro-lifer to write an argument that has NOTHING to do with religion and still is acurate with what we KNOW about the develpoment of a fetus.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Pelios's Avatar
 
Name: Andrea
Gender: Female
Location: México

Posts: 3,691
Blog Entries: 48
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
Since this is a debate I'm going to do so. First I want to say I'm not attacking you personally or your reasons for personally not wanting an abortion, HOWEVER...

The reasons you've given are all religious based which of course means it has no place in the government. It's fine if your religious beliefs lead you to this conclusion but those are your beliefs and many people don't share them. Religion does not belong in the law period. And I think that's a pretty strong reason why abortion is currently legal. In fact I challenge a pro-lifer to write an argument that has NOTHING to do with religion and still is acurate with what we KNOW about the develpoment of a fetus.
I disagree with abortion because it seems to me to be killing something that otherwise would have continued on and become a person. I mean why is it okay to kill a baby when it is first forming and still just a cluster of cells but you would never do that to a newborn baby even though both actions have the same affect of ending a life. If you don't want a child there are many things you can do to not have one like not having sex or using protection if you do. Abortion just seems like a way people try to fix something that has already happened.
Humans have human DNA
A fetus has human DNA
A fetus is a human Being


Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post
Humans have human DNA
A fetus has human DNA
A fetus is a human Being
Maybe by your definition but by most scientific definitions it takes much more than DNA to be a human being. In fact if that was the only qualification skin cells would be humans, saliva would be human. It just doesn't work like that. I understand that you think of abortion as an easy way out (that's what you seem to be implying) but it really isn't. It is not an easy decision for any woman to make and it is taking responsibilty. As I said it's not responsible for a 14 year old on her own to have a baby. All it would be doing is bringing another unwanted child into our already over populated world.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Tegan Offline
Make a wish...
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Tegan's Avatar
 
Name: Tegan
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: England

Posts: 977
Blog Entries: 7
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 23rd 2009, 11:06 PM

I'm Pro-choice.

I believe that every circumstance is different and no one exept the people who are there living and breathing that particular circumstance have the right to dictate what happens and the future of everyone involved - potentially including the child.

If the development of this foetus could genuinely cause harm (physical or mental) to the mother, or be born into a life or a situation that wouldn't be appropriate or faor for a defenceless child then surely the people involved (probably the parents) should have the right to terminate the pregnancy before a child ends up in such an environment?


You are the one, the one who lies next to me,
Whispers "hello, I missed you quite terribly"


   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Adean's Avatar
 
Name: Mary
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Columbus, Ga

Posts: 392
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 12:07 AM

I think it should be up to the woman. Pregnancy isn't a cakewalk between the costs and health risks involved. Not everyone wants to be a mother and not everyone should be a mother. Also, religious reasons are good for a personal choice but when it comes to laws, religious reasons should never be considered in some situations.


Beware of the cats.
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough
*********
 
Anomaly's Avatar
 
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 2,449
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 12:17 AM

Im pro-life. I belive that aborting a baby is wrong and you shouldnt be doing things that would get you pregant if your not ready for what might occur afterwards.
As for if the mother would die or something, I really dont know what would be right.


   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Adean's Avatar
 
Name: Mary
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Columbus, Ga

Posts: 392
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 01:07 AM

I also think it's wrong that people are willing to push punishment onto mothers by saying that it's their fault they are pregnant. Having a baby costs thousands of dollars without insurance and an abortion is cheaper. Also, a baby shouldn't be used as punishment for anyone. Once the baby is born, it's a person.


Beware of the cats.
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
delilah Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
delilah's Avatar
 
Age: 28

Posts: 439
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 02:20 AM

haha yeah, i find it kind of sad, i've heard people say on these threads "it's their consequence for having unsafe sex" etc.
Imagine, being born and ever finding out that you were your parents "punishment" or "consequence".
humans aren't punishment. and shouldn't be brought into this world to be one. pro choice.
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Ignorance is bliss..
Average Joe
***
 
kaytastrophie_xo's Avatar
 
Name: A.
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: U.S.

Posts: 181
Blog Entries: 8
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 02:54 AM

I am extremely pro-choice and I have a very strong opinion on the topic. I believe it should be the mother's choice as she is the one who will have to carry the child for 9 months and then be bound to it once it is born. Now I'm not saying I think everyone should get an abortion just because of doubts- I'm saying that there are circumstances that can occur and no one should be forced to go through with a pregnancy that they can not handle whether it be emotionally, physically, or financially. I personally have been in a situation where I almost had to decide whether I wanted to keep the baby of the man who raped me or have an abortion. Thankfully, that decision was not needed to be made but if I did have to, I would have had an abortion. I don't think its okay to kill human beings, but I do know that if I would have had the child of that asshole, I would have ended up killing myself before it was even born. Sometimes it is impossible to go day by day having that constant reminder in your stomach of the past. Even if you were to give the child up for adoption, there is still the 9 months of constant reminder and there is a chance that the child will end up in the wrong hands once adopted.


Originally joined: June 2008


" He has no remorse for his actions,
And feels nothing but pleasure.
To see her suffer is his joy-
And her innocence is his treasure. "

is this what you really want from me..?
   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Gidig's Avatar
 
Name: Maria
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 2,123
Blog Entries: 390
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delilah View Post
haha yeah, i find it kind of sad, i've heard people say on these threads "it's their consequence for having unsafe sex" etc.
Imagine, being born and ever finding out that you were your parents "punishment" or "consequence".
humans aren't punishment. and shouldn't be brought into this world to be one. pro choice.
This sums up my main thought better than I could state.

I'm most definitely pro-choice.



The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
CubanitaChica Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
CubanitaChica's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Female

Posts: 121
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: March 13th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 03:44 AM

I am pro-choice because it is the woman's body and sometimes medical complications or financial ones occur and as a mother, instinct says to give your child the best life possible and if that is not possible, many woman want to abort and then at a later time, perhaps, try again. As for medical complications, if having the baby is going to hurt the mother and/or baby, I do not feel that it is worth it.


"Make it stop,
Let this end.
This life chose me, I'm not lost in sin.
But proud I stand of who I am,
I plan to go on living."


Rest In Peace:
RCG
GCG

Live = Let Live Movement
   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
SillyEvee's Avatar
 
Name: EV
Age: 27
Gender: None
Location: Now

Posts: 511
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 04:21 AM

From Taylor:
Quote:
The reasons you've given are all religious based which of course means it has no place in the government. It's fine if your religious beliefs lead you to this conclusion but those are your beliefs and many people don't share them. Religion does not belong in the law period.
Amen to that! :P
Seriously, though, that's EXACTLY how I feel. Personally, I'm against it for moral reasons I got from my religion. But I have no right to impose my religious morality on anyone else.
I also agree that a baby isn't a punishment. I can see why people would say "I took all the precautions I could, and still got a baby! It's not fair!" and want an abortion if their birth control failed, but, honestly, you could've not had sex (I'm not talking about rape cases here). You chose to have sex knowing that no birth control method is 100% effective and knowing you weren't ready for a baby (presumably, since you attempted to prevent one). You have to live with the consequence of taking that risk. Does that mean you have to keep the baby? no. But if killing a fetus is wrong when it was created in a drunken one-night stand, why is it not wrong ot kill a fetus if your birth control failed?


--EV--
Congrats Canada's Juniors! 5 in a row!
Last Sunday morning, the sunshine felt like rain.
Week before, they all seemed the same.
And oh, I ain't wastin' time no more
Cause time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things.
--The Allman Brothers Band


Things seem impossible until you start to do them.

PM me anytime. I love to talk. :]
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lorelei's Avatar
 
Name: Laura
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: in my own thoughts

Posts: 801
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 05:35 AM

If you are pro-choice, why? Would you, yourself, have an abortion? Are you against abortion but believe each to their own?

I personally don't think I would have an abortion unless there was a serious health risk, but not everyone thinks the same way I do.

I'm pro-choice because I don't believe women should be forced to carry a baby they don't want, and the baby shouldn't have to live with that either. Let's face it; if abortion is made illegal, women are just going to start having back-alley abortions, attempting to miscarry, or leaving their babies in dumpsters.

I don't encourage abortion, but when the woman and/or the baby's life is in danger, if the baby is a product of rape, or if the parents cannot provide for the baby, it should be allowed.


"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine
   
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 06:03 AM

Now that we've gotten past that, I'm pro-choice. Although the couple did create the kid, they shouldn't be obligated to continue with it if they don't have the financial resources, if the mother may die due to the pregnancy, if neither want it, if they're unfit parents (or only one is unfit), if the female was raped and consequently impregnanted, etc.... .

In saying that you should continue with the pregnancy even if the mother, father or both don't want to, then the kid is used as a lifelong punishment for one mere mistake. In going for an abortion, they'd usually have learned their lesson.

Last edited by Gidig; May 24th 2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Off-Topic
   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
TakeTheLeap's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,309
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 07:50 AM

I'm pro-life. Simply put, abortion, in my opinion, is murder.
However, it isn't all black and white. There are some situations, I think, in which an abortion can be an option - pregnancies caused by rape, and those which there is a very high likelihood that it could kill the mother.
However, I don't believe that mothers should be able to terminate if they find out they have a child that might have some sort of disability. Depending on what the doctors think, those problems may not occur, and there are vary severities of various problems in which the child may not be affected. Even in some situations where they say the child may die, they should be given the chance at life.
Not to mention what it could do to the mother emotionally. I've seen what it's like for a mother to lose their child due to natural causes (my mother still cries about it after 23 years), but I can't imagine what it could do to a person who lost their child willingly.

I just cannot condone a child being murdered because of a mistake they made. If a person knows they can't afford to support a child, they shouldn't be having sex. Even if they use protection, there is ALWAYS a possibility of pregnancy as a result. Even so, there are other options beside abortion that can be used.
I don't believe anyone should be able to choose whether someone has a chance at life or not. Someone could have terminated the scientist who would cure the common cold or who would find a cure for cancer. But no matter what, that person should be given that chance.


“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Grizabella's Avatar
 
Name: Jessica
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 1,305
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Simply put, abortion, in my opinion, is murder.
However, it isn't all black and white. There are some situations, I think, in which an abortion can be an option - pregnancies caused by rape, and those which there is a very high likelihood that it could kill the mother.
See, I've never understood this opinion. If you think abortion is murder, then why is murder suddenly alright in certain situations? I don't mean you're wrong thinking this way, I'm just not sure I understand your position.

Quote:
Someone could have terminated the scientist who would cure the common cold or who would find a cure for cancer.
While chaos theory is interesting, it's completely useless to use practically. And it goes both ways. If someone could be killing the scientist who's going to cure cancer, it could just as easily be said that it might be the person who's going to kill the scientist who's going to cure cancer.


Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius
   
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
Is it entirely necessary to be so rude? Really, what does it accomplish? What I meant was, the debates on abortion had tended to die down until I made my thread, at which point they all started popping up again in a chain reaction. The OP stated she had noticed a lot of threads on the topic lately, and I was trying to point out that perhaps I had lit the match that started the bonfire. I'm not an idiot, I realize not every thread was a direct response to mine, and that not everything that happens on TH revolves around me. But I don't think it's illogical to think that someone might read a thread on one topic, think of an idea for a similar topic, and then create said topic in a new thread. I know the first thread after mine was a response to mine, because the poster had been trying to discuss the ethics of abortion in my thread, and I told them they should create a separate thread for that. I'm not sure why you feel the need to belittle people in every thread you enter, and point out every slight flaw in a post - even when that flaw has nothing to do with the topic of the thread - but I'll thank you not to do it to me.
Necessary to be rude? No, not really. But saying that you were the one who started all the threads on a certain topic is rather arrogant on your part. TH gets new members rather often, so people can just create those threads or older members may have not read your thread and made theirs regardless. So, it was meant to point out your arrogance.

When I enter a debate, yes, I do point out the flaws in the posts. Why? Because that's how a debate is. Someone says something, you respond and in your response, you can refute them. I'm not sure how exactly you intend to carry out a debate if people don't point out the flaws in the posts, as people could then spew random crap. Unfortunately, most of the time, the flaws I point out have everything to do with the topic and the certain post that is in response to the thread. However, this one and a few others are the exception where I point out someone's flaw that's not related to the thread. So, sadly for you, that's already been done to you.
   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Khadra's Avatar
 
Name: Kathlene
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Lima, Peru

Posts: 736
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
Necessary to be rude? No, not really. But saying that you were the one who started all the threads on a certain topic is rather arrogant on your part. TH gets new members rather often, so people can just create those threads or older members may have not read your thread and made theirs regardless. So, it was meant to point out your arrogance.

When I enter a debate, yes, I do point out the flaws in the posts. Why? Because that's how a debate is. Someone says something, you respond and in your response, you can refute them. I'm not sure how exactly you intend to carry out a debate if people don't point out the flaws in the posts, as people could then spew random crap. Unfortunately, most of the time, the flaws I point out have everything to do with the topic and the certain post that is in response to the thread. However, this one and a few others are the exception where I point out someone's flaw that's not related to the thread. So, sadly for you, that's already been done to you.
I'm sorry but I just have to say something because you are being really unfair. When you enter a debate it's expected that you will point out flaws in people's arguments but there is no need to get pissy about someone's comment that is unrelated to the actual debate at hand.

And as she said, she wasn't claiming a monopoly on abortion threads. She was just saying her thread may have inspired other threads to be started. That is not arrogant at all.


It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)


Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3
   
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
eunoia's Avatar
 
Name: Jes
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 5,888
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 01:44 PM

I'm pro-"I don't know every woman's story so how on earth is it mine, or anyone's, right to judge her?" Every woman, and every story, is different--and those unique circumstances are what will lead a woman or a couple to choose abortion or otherwise. Until I am A) educated on her situation and B) feel her emotions, I can't judge her for choosing to terminate a pregnancy.

Short answer: pro-choice. Although, you know, I'm not anti-life or anything like that. I've always disagreed with the terminology used. ;p



Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 02:36 PM

I just wanted to comment on the comments about the terminology. I agree first off that the lables aren't really correct, but the one I hate most of all is when pro-life people call pro-choice people "pro-abortion". That's really the worst one, and though no one has done it here I just want to say why. NO ONE is pro-abortion, I really don't believe that there is anyone who would go around to women telling them to abort their children no matter what, or that gets all happy when they hear a child has been aborted. Just putting in a different 2 cents. There are so many branches to the abortion argument it's hard to stay on one.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadra View Post
I'm sorry but I just have to say something because you are being really unfair. When you enter a debate it's expected that you will point out flaws in people's arguments but there is no need to get pissy about someone's comment that is unrelated to the actual debate at hand.

And as she said, she wasn't claiming a monopoly on abortion threads. She was just saying her thread may have inspired other threads to be started. That is not arrogant at all.
Adding in "may" or "I think" or "perhaps" doesn't change the situation of her saying the abortion debate threads started off with her. It makes it only less arrogant but arrogant nonetheless.

As Grizabella and I have done, if you want to continue this, PM me.
   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Adean's Avatar
 
Name: Mary
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Columbus, Ga

Posts: 392
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 03:41 PM

The problem with the argument of the fetus could grow up to be the person who cures (insert disease or condition here) is that it could very well grow up to be the next Hitler. However, both of those are two extremes and both are unlikely to occur.


Beware of the cats.
   
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 04:15 PM

My stance on the whole "what they could become" thing is that in pretty much all cases how the child turns out depends on how he/she was raised. Do you honestly think that an unwanted child raised by a resentful mother is going to become the doctor to cure cancer?


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Mizu-Kun (Saito)'s Spouse
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
PhoenixAlive's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Age: 29
Gender: Trans
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 631
Join Date: January 10th 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Emily~ View Post
I'm pro-life. Simply put, abortion, in my opinion, is murder.
However, it isn't all black and white. There are some situations, I think, in which an abortion can be an option - pregnancies caused by rape, and those which there is a very high likelihood that it could kill the mother.

I totally agree. If its a case of either the baby and the mother die, or the baby dies, I would say its okay to save the mother from potentially losing her life. Also, for a rape victim, its completely unfair for a woman to live for 9+ months with a constant reminder of that traumatic event.

In almost all other circumstances, adoption is absolutely a 100% better option. There is no reason why any child would be unwanted. There are millions of couples who are in emotional agony because they cannot have children. If this life which you have created can give joy to one other human being, why deny them that? If you can't provide for your child, there's no shame in that. Arrange for an adoption. The potential for every human being is immeasurable. Even a child with severe disabilities can bring someone joy.
   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Pro-Life? Pro-Choice? - May 24th 2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAlive View Post
I totally agree. If its a case of either the baby and the mother die, or the baby dies, I would say its okay to save the mother from potentially losing her life. Also, for a rape victim, its completely unfair for a woman to live for 9+ months with a constant reminder of that traumatic event.

In almost all other circumstances, adoption is absolutely a 100% better option. There is no reason why any child would be unwanted. There are millions of couples who are in emotional agony because they cannot have children. If this life which you have created can give joy to one other human being, why deny them that? If you can't provide for your child, there's no shame in that. Arrange for an adoption. The potential for every human being is immeasurable. Even a child with severe disabilities can bring someone joy.
Yes and there are millions of children out there who are alone but have trouble getting adopted because most of those millions of couples are only interested in getting a baby. There are plenty of children already out there who need to be loved and are ignored because they are unlucky enough to be older. Why add more numbers to that?

And I'm sorry but I just don't get it. I think that if you think that abortion is okay under any circumstances that makes you "pro-choice" (not the best word but on the same side). Pro-life is that you think that it's a life you are destroying and that it shouldn't be allowed. That's what I think that side is. It just doesn't make any sense that fetuses that are concieved from rape or that have medical issues are any more important that the fetuses that are conceived by accident.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

Last edited by thebigmole; May 24th 2009 at 05:47 PM.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
prochoice, prolife

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.