TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
CanadaCraig's Avatar
 
Age: 56
Gender: Male

Posts: 854
Join Date: January 6th 2009

CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 23rd 2009, 12:06 PM

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're OK.

In China - a man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge.

QUESTION:

Should 66 year old Lian Jiansheng be charged with anything?!

[Read that question again. Mr. Jiansheng is NOT who you might think he is]

Click on the link below to read the story.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...ide/index.html

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
eunoia's Avatar
 
Name: Jes
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 5,888
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 23rd 2009, 12:11 PM

Yes he should. If you shoot someone who has a life-threatening illness you will be charged with something, correct? It doesn't matter if they person may have died regardless of your actions--you committed a crime.



Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
CasiLG Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
CasiLG's Avatar
 
Name: Casi
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Connecticut USA

Posts: 140
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 23rd 2009, 12:43 PM

He was told to stay away, yet he chose to interfere with police activity and "help" this person. I would say charge him with something but I don't know what.


P.M me anytime you need or want to talk to me. God Bless.
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Kingston upon Hull/ Brighton, UK

Posts: 1,494
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 23rd 2009, 02:01 PM

Charge him with attempted murder. His actions would fit into that in English law at least.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while
********
 
*Rainbow*Rider*'s Avatar
 
Name: H
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: England

Posts: 1,921
Blog Entries: 124
Join Date: January 25th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 23rd 2009, 03:01 PM

I think he should get something, because the guy could of changed his mind and he's lucky the guy is still alive. However it doesn't mention if he knew that there was an inflatable thing there or not?



If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires




   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while
********
 
Heretic's Avatar
 
Name: [060191.1723]
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: 43.337557, -89.638498

Posts: 1,695
Blog Entries: 9
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 23rd 2009, 07:32 PM

Sounds like attempted murder to me. I don't care if the man was threatening suicide, what this guy did was nothing short of trying to kill him.


Ethos
Pathos
Logos

050516.0029
  Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Grizabella's Avatar
 
Name: Jessica
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 1,305
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 23rd 2009, 08:03 PM

Unless assisted suicide is legal in China (and I don't know whether or not it is), he should be charged with attempted murder.


Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 23rd 2009, 08:40 PM

I think that was pretty awesome personally. But that's only because I agree with the guy about the selfishness. I'd probably think it was less awesome if the guy had died, though he claims that's what he wanted. I mean of course he committed a crime and should be charged with something, but I get why he did it.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Gidig's Avatar
 
Name: Maria
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 2,123
Blog Entries: 390
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 24th 2009, 03:42 AM

Oh my God, I almost think it's funny because I can't even wrap my head around the fact that it's real. It sounds like some stunt in a movie. O_O But really that's awful.

Yeah, he killed a guy, he should be charged 100%.



The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while
********
 
Toast's Avatar
 
Name: Toast
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,285
Join Date: January 9th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 24th 2009, 04:36 AM

Wow, that story was actually really funny. Attention whore But um yeah, I guess he should be charged. He did try to kill someone.


Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Khadra's Avatar
 
Name: Kathlene
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Lima, Peru

Posts: 736
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 24th 2009, 04:45 AM

That's disgusting. He should definitely be charged with attempted murder.


It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)


Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough
*********
 
Casey.'s Avatar
 
Name: Casey
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in my mind

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 337
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 24th 2009, 05:32 AM

Yes, he should be charged. It sounds like attempted murder to me.


She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.


Smile through the tears.


PM me

  Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 24th 2009, 05:43 AM

I congradulate him for doing what he did. After 5 hours of holding up traffic, the guy didn't jump, didn't do anything and police couldn't get the guy down, so someone manned up and quit the selfish, immature act. That being said, I do think he should get charged. He interfered with police, breaking through a police line, which may in itself be a crime and possibly assault on a police officer (I assume he had to push through, which could be counted as assault). The attempted murder charge I'm unsure on whether it'd hold up in court because I don't think his intention was to kill the guy, but just to push him off onto the cushion thing.
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
franz1 Offline
Out of the box thinker
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
franz1's Avatar
 
Name: brady shaw
Gender: Male
Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Posts: 204
Join Date: May 14th 2009

Lightbulb Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 24th 2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Charge him with attempted murder. His actions would fit into that in English law at least.
i agree but hey it is china were talking about.
i know alot of things he could be charged with in the usa but it's china i don't think that they have even remotely the same laws and actions as in the us.
smile


Helen: I'm someone who has chosen to embrace the broad spectrum of our reality.

​“Levity helps keep far more insidious things at bay.”
Dr. Helen Magnus, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY


“Feeling safe is something we all need.”
Dr. Will Zimmerman, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY


“We learn more from failure than from success.”
Nikola Tesla, “END OF NIGHTS” PART II
SANCTUARY


“Life without purpose isn’t… life.”
Will Zimmerman, “PAVOR NOCTURNUS”
SANCTUARY
  Send a message via Skype™ to franz1 
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Grizabella's Avatar
 
Name: Jessica
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 1,305
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 24th 2009, 09:27 AM

I'm a bit disgusted by the opinion that people who are suicidal are selfish. People who commit suicide or attempt to commit suicide are in pain, and they need to be helped - they don't need to be made to feel worse by being told they're selfish. Sometimes people become overwhelmed by life, and not everyone is strong enough to deal with it on their own. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the people saying "He was selfish, good job to the guy who pushed him" have never suffered from serious suicidal tendencies. If you haven't gone through the pain necessary to actually try to kill yourself, I really don't think you should judge people who have, or try to say how they should act.


Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
CanadaCraig's Avatar
 
Age: 56
Gender: Male

Posts: 854
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 24th 2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
I'm a bit disgusted by the opinion that people who are suicidal are selfish. People who commit suicide or attempt to commit suicide are in pain, and they need to be helped - they don't need to be made to feel worse by being told they're selfish. Sometimes people become overwhelmed by life, and not everyone is strong enough to deal with it on their own. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the people saying "He was selfish, good job to the guy who pushed him" have never suffered from serious suicidal tendencies. If you haven't gone through the pain necessary to actually try to kill yourself, I really don't think you should judge people who have, or try to say how they should act.
I ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!!!

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 24th 2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
I'm a bit disgusted by the opinion that people who are suicidal are selfish. People who commit suicide or attempt to commit suicide are in pain, and they need to be helped - they don't need to be made to feel worse by being told they're selfish. Sometimes people become overwhelmed by life, and not everyone is strong enough to deal with it on their own. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the people saying "He was selfish, good job to the guy who pushed him" have never suffered from serious suicidal tendencies. If you haven't gone through the pain necessary to actually try to kill yourself, I really don't think you should judge people who have, or try to say how they should act.
Oh boy here I go being a horrible person again. You are right that have never had any suicidal tendencies and that's because of my belief that it is the most selfish act a person can commit, have I thought about it yes, but all of those thoughts lead to how devastating it would be to my parents and therefore I don't think about it anymore because thinking about them in pain causes me more pain. However I believe we've already been through this argument so I won't try to start it again.

About this specific situation, the guy was on the edge of a bridge for FIVE HOURS! If he really had any intention of killing himself he would have just done it. This was obviously just what the guy who pushed him said, he was trying to get attention for his problem, and he disturbed a bunch of people while doing it. It was very selfish, and I don't think the guy was even really suicidal.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 24th 2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
I'm a bit disgusted by the opinion that people who are suicidal are selfish. People who commit suicide or attempt to commit suicide are in pain, and they need to be helped - they don't need to be made to feel worse by being told they're selfish. Sometimes people become overwhelmed by life, and not everyone is strong enough to deal with it on their own. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the people saying "He was selfish, good job to the guy who pushed him" have never suffered from serious suicidal tendencies. If you haven't gone through the pain necessary to actually try to kill yourself, I really don't think you should judge people who have, or try to say how they should act.
If the guy was truly convinced to kill himself, then would he clog up a bridge for 5 hours? No, he'd jump or kill himself some other way. Killing yourself for any reason (except if someone makes you) is selfish because you're taking the easy way out of it, disregarding how it'll affect others and leaving others to clean up the mess you made, both literally and figuratively.

However, you're right, I haven't suffered from suicidal tendencies, and it's something I wish to never do because I'm not going to degrade myself to that level.

The guy who pushed the suicidal person simply ended the situation that lasted 5 hours with him threatening to jump. If he wanted to kill himself, then jump. The guy either changed his mind yet still stayed out there or got cold feet. Either way, the guy who pushed him ended the unnecessary nonsense.
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
eunoia's Avatar
 
Name: Jes
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 5,888
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 24th 2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
If the guy was truly convinced to kill himself, then would he clog up a bridge for 5 hours? No, he'd jump or kill himself some other way. Killing yourself for any reason (except if someone makes you) is selfish because you're taking the easy way out of it, disregarding how it'll affect others and leaving others to clean up the mess you made, both literally and figuratively.

However, you're right, I haven't suffered from suicidal tendencies, and it's something I wish to never do because I'm not going to degrade myself to that level.

The guy who pushed the suicidal person simply ended the situation that lasted 5 hours with him threatening to jump. If he wanted to kill himself, then jump. The guy either changed his mind yet still stayed out there or got cold feet. Either way, the guy who pushed him ended the unnecessary nonsense.
Yeah. Ending nonsense is a totally acceptable reason to push a man off a bridge. Unclogging traffic > saving a person's life any day.



Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Gidig's Avatar
 
Name: Maria
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 2,123
Blog Entries: 390
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 24th 2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
If the guy was truly convinced to kill himself, then would he clog up a bridge for 5 hours? No, he'd jump or kill himself some other way. Killing yourself for any reason (except if someone makes you) is selfish because you're taking the easy way out of it, disregarding how it'll affect others and leaving others to clean up the mess you made, both literally and figuratively.

However, you're right, I haven't suffered from suicidal tendencies, and it's something I wish to never do because I'm not going to degrade myself to that level.

The guy who pushed the suicidal person simply ended the situation that lasted 5 hours with him threatening to jump. If he wanted to kill himself, then jump. The guy either changed his mind yet still stayed out there or got cold feet. Either way, the guy who pushed him ended the unnecessary nonsense.

You've taken psychology, yes? It's simply a huge cry for help. And really, some people try to work up to get the courage to jump. It's a big deal jumping off a bridge to end your life. And personally, I'm glad that people don't just jump. I know if it was you or Jer or something on a bridge, I'd let you clog up traffic for years if it'd keep you alive.

On the other hand, the guy could have dragged the guy back from the edge if he got close enough to push him, eh?



The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough
*********
 
udontno's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda Kate
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: VA, USA

Posts: 3,039
Blog Entries: 24
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 25th 2009, 01:59 AM

He should be charged with something. It's horrible that someone pushed him off the bridge.


--A
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Olive, always Offline
The Mighty Grape
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Olive, always's Avatar
 
Name: Liv
Age: 27
Gender: Female

Posts: 262
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 25th 2009, 02:15 AM

This is the kind of thing that I shouldn't laugh at, but I do anyhow.
I just shook my head and went, "Damn..that guy means business."
It's certainly not humane perse, what Jiansheng did, but I appreciate the comical, tongue-in-cheek effect if that makes sense.
Since nobody did die, I'm able to just chuckle a bit.
As far as the guy being charged - sure, charge him. It still doesn't detract from the humor I found in this.


=P
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 25th 2009, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
You've taken psychology, yes? It's simply a huge cry for help. And really, some people try to work up to get the courage to jump. It's a big deal jumping off a bridge to end your life. And personally, I'm glad that people don't just jump. I know if it was you or Jer or something on a bridge, I'd let you clog up traffic for years if it'd keep you alive.

On the other hand, the guy could have dragged the guy back from the edge if he got close enough to push him, eh?
Yes I have taken and still am taking psychology. It may be a cry for help, however, that cry was recognized before he was pushed off. Pushing him off simply ended the nonsense of the police not stepping into do their job. They set up a cushion thing, so they could've easily just grabbed him themselves, however, they didn't. The guy could have dragged him back, as that would've ended the nonsense also. Although I assume pushing him off would have been easier than dragging him back because he had to physically break through the police barrier.

Now that the guy is off the bridge, he can get the help he needs. Who knows, it may have lasted 10 hours, but the cry for help would still be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie
Yeah. Ending nonsense is a totally acceptable reason to push a man off a bridge. Unclogging traffic > saving a person's life any day.
The guy fell onto a cushion thing, so pushing him off did no harm as he didn't die from the fall. The police could've easily dragged him back but they refused to. If a random guy could shove him off, then certainly police could get to him and pull him off. The cry for help was shown already and time was just being wasted.
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 25th 2009, 04:56 AM

I see this more as a happy ending nobody died.


  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
L'espoir's Avatar
 
Name: Jen
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: England

Posts: 2,020
Blog Entries: 777
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 28th 2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
If the guy was truly convinced to kill himself, then would he clog up a bridge for 5 hours? No, he'd jump or kill himself some other way
Wow, you sure are unsympathetic. Yeah, so maybe he wasn't sure, but that doesn't matter. I think what matters is that he was in enough pain and distress to be up there in the first place even considering it. "Clogging up the bridge" that just makes him sound like he isn't even human or worth bothering about, like who cares what he is doing up there, he is getting in the way. Maybe like Maria said its a cry for help, maybe he doesn't want to die but doesn't want to live therefor he is stuck. Maybe thats why he was up there so long. Who knows? I certainly don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
However, you're right, I haven't suffered from suicidal tendencies, and it's something I wish to never do because I'm not going to degrade myself to that level
I really hope you and the other people who are of the opinion that this kind of thing is selfish never feel that way yourselves. Im sure you would want help for your feelings and stuff, you wouldn't want people to call you selfish because you feel so terrible you don't know how to go on. I feel so offended by it actually, because I have been in that position. I have tried to kill myself on more than one occasion but according to you Im selfish. I don't think so. I think that sometimes the pain just gets too much to bear and you don't know what to do anymore.

I think the guy should be charged with attempted murder. It doesnt matter that there was something inflatable there, it doesnt matter that the man on the bridge might have jumped anyway, it doesnt matter. I just think thats the way it is. He deserves to be punished for his actions just like everyone else. That is my opinion.


PM // VM
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 28th 2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn x View Post
Wow, you sure are unsympathetic. Yeah, so maybe he wasn't sure, but that doesn't matter. I think what matters is that he was in enough pain and distress to be up there in the first place even considering it. "Clogging up the bridge" that just makes him sound like he isn't even human or worth bothering about, like who cares what he is doing up there, he is getting in the way. Maybe like Maria said its a cry for help, maybe he doesn't want to die but doesn't want to live therefor he is stuck. Maybe thats why he was up there so long. Who knows? I certainly don't.
If he didn't want to jump, which seems rather obvious, then the police could have easily just grabbed him off the bridge. But for whatever reason, they didn't. It may indeed be a cry for help, however, it doesn't require him to clog up traffic for 5 hours just so he gets noticed. He got noticed in less than 5 hours, probably within minutes of going to jump off. After that, it's time being wasted because he's gotten his point across but now him and the police were just doddling.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn x View Post
I really hope you and the other people who are of the opinion that this kind of thing is selfish never feel that way yourselves. Im sure you would want help for your feelings and stuff, you wouldn't want people to call you selfish because you feel so terrible you don't know how to go on. I feel so offended by it actually, because I have been in that position. I have tried to kill myself on more than one occasion but according to you Im selfish. I don't think so. I think that sometimes the pain just gets too much to bear and you don't know what to do anymore.
You're right, I never do wish to feel that way because I'm not going to lower myself to such a low level. I was saying the act of suicide is selfish and the person, when in that state of mind, is selfish. When they're not, who knows, maybe they still are selfish or maybe they're not.

The pain gets too much, etc..., to me implies weakness. Too weak to figure out how to handle the situation, so you permanently remove yourself from all situations in order to make it easier for yourself and let others continue to suffer and suffer over your loss of life. That's why I find it selfish, and why the people are very likely to be weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn x View Post
I think the guy should be charged with attempted murder. It doesnt matter that there was something inflatable there, it doesnt matter that the man on the bridge might have jumped anyway, it doesnt matter. I just think thats the way it is. He deserves to be punished for his actions just like everyone else. That is my opinion.
Did he intend to kill the guy though? I think not, I think that the police were doddling around, the suicidal guy was also doddling, so this guy decided to simply end the nonsense of clogging up the bridge, which I assume would be busy for 5 hours.

It's like saying someone is protesting going to be run over by a big truck and they refuse to budge. Someone else dives in and pushes them out of the way, however, the protestor falls over a bridge but is not hurt from the fall. In this example and in the given situation, the guy who pushed simply was taking the suicidal guy out of harm's way and allowing traffic to continue.

Should the entire bridge and numerous individuals have to stop for 5 hours because of one sad man? No, they could stop for a few minutes but 5 hours is excessive.
   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 28th 2009, 06:09 PM

Actually if anyone read the story closely it's not attempted murder at all. He pushed the guy onto the big blow up thing. Assault maybe but attempted murder nah.


Also if I was ever really contemplating suicide hell yeah I'd want someone to yell at me and call me selfish, it would be a good wake up call. Yes your life must suck pretty bad, I guess a lot of the suicides I've read about their lives don't suck that much, you've got to be in a not so good mental place. But hell everyone's lives suck, everyone has problems, everyone goes through stuff, I'm sorry if you are not strong enough or smart enough to get out of them yourself, then find the balls to go get help. Because if you arent' willing to try then I just don't care. Do I feel for the people they leave behind, you bet I do. My senior year of high school within two weeks there was two student suicides. I saw the effects of those two students actions. The first guy, really popular, really smart, a senior, they think he did it because his girlfriend broke up with him. Do you wnat to know how devastated that girl was? I don't think you do. So excues me for not caring about the people that give up and leave those who care about them and leave a huge mess and a bunch of devastated people behind. I honestly don't believe their pain amounts to the pain they cause when they kill themselves, and they obviously don't care because they don't have to be around to see it. And I know I'm going to get "They honestly think their family will be better without them." I don't buy it. If they've paid attention at all they'd see that that's a load of crap.

Oh and please don't mistake me I'm not ragging on people who have suicidal thoughts, a lot of people have suicidal thoughts, hell I have, it's actually attempting it or doing it that gets me.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Oiseau the Little Bird!'s Avatar
 
Name: Bernadette
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 457
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 13th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 28th 2009, 09:41 PM

Haha my state radio station was talking about this yesterday (NJ 101.5 FM), and the hosts were in stitches the whole time. Hey, it's what that guy wanted. NTM. Sitting there for FIVE HOURS. KEEPING TRAFFIC UP. I'd be fucking pissed too. There are plenty of other less dramatic ways to kill yourself -- the only reason I can see for doing it on a bridge is because you feel like you don't get enough attention.

Personally, I think the pusher shouldn't get anything.


Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.


  Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 28th 2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiseau the Little Bird! View Post
Haha my state radio station was talking about this yesterday (NJ 101.5 FM), and the hosts were in stitches the whole time. Hey, it's what that guy wanted. NTM. Sitting there for FIVE HOURS. KEEPING TRAFFIC UP. I'd be fucking pissed too. There are plenty of other less dramatic ways to kill yourself -- the only reason I can see for doing it on a bridge is because you feel like you don't get enough attention.

Personally, I think the pusher shouldn't get anything.
I think the pusher should get a pat on the back, and whether or not assault on a police officer should be decided, as it was said he pushed through the police line. Aside from that, I agree with what you said.
   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Grizabella's Avatar
 
Name: Jessica
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 1,305
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 29th 2009, 01:07 AM

When people are suicidal, we should try to help them see that their lives are worth something - not further damage them by showing them that they're such an inconvenience as to be deserving of getting pushed off a bridge.

He got close enough to shake his hand. He certainly was close enough to pull him back - it wouldn't have taken that much more effort. I'm inclined to say the man doing the pushing was looking for attention as well, yet we're not accusing him of being selfish. If people sincerely believe that it's alright to push a man 8 metres off a bridge in order to get traffic flowing again, it's an excellent show of the deplorable state of humanity.

This man was inconveniencing everyone, but it's not the job of citizens to take it into their own hands. That's the job of police, the police were doing their job, and I don't care if they were taking 5 hours to do it, they weren't being idiodically impatient and were trying not to injure him.

Quote:
Do you wnat to know how devastated that girl was? I don't think you do. So excues me for not caring about the people that give up and leave those who care about them and leave a huge mess and a bunch of devastated people behind.
On the flip side, I could also call people selfish when they expect others who are in extreme pain to stay alive so that they themselves don't have to feel pain. Why should I be expected to continue suffering so that another person doesn't have to? Selfish.


Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

Last edited by Grizabella; May 29th 2009 at 01:24 AM.
   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 29th 2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
When people are suicidal, we should try to help them see that their lives are worth something - not further damage them by showing them that they're such an inconvenience as to be deserving of getting pushed off a bridge.

He got close enough to shake his hand. He certainly was close enough to pull him back - it wouldn't have taken that much more effort. I'm inclined to say the man doing the pushing was looking for attention as well, yet we're not accusing him of being selfish. If people sincerely believe that it's alright to push a man 8 metres off a bridge in order to get traffic flowing again, it's an excellent show of the deplorable state of humanity.

This man was inconveniencing everyone, but it's not the job of citizens to take it into their own hands. That's the job of police, the police were doing their job, and I don't care if they were taking 5 hours to do it, they weren't being idiodically impatient and were trying not to injure him.



On the flip side, I could also call people selfish when they expect others who are in extreme pain to stay alive so that they themselves don't have to feel pain. Why should I be expected to continue suffering so that another person doesn't have to? Selfish.
I think the guy pushed the other guy to prove a point. Maybe not the best way to do it but he had a reason in his mind.

And I'm sorry but the only person keeping the suicidal person in pain is themselves. I honestly don't think that anyone who really cares about someone who is in such a bad place wants them to stay that way. They can't them to get help and get better. So no I don't think that they are selfish at all.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Kingston upon Hull/ Brighton, UK

Posts: 1,494
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 31st 2009, 12:15 PM

I found a video of this on the internet recently and watched it and as such my opinion is now utterly changed. The guy was in the right to push him off, there was no chance of him dieing as the drop wouldn't be enough to kill anyone (it would hurt though) even without the massive inflatable cushion underneath him. That "suicidal" person seems to have wanted attention rather than an actual suicide. It also certainly didn't seem to be the old guys intention to hurt him either, so it's totally not attempted murder like I suggested earlier.

The article is misleading because I thought that the 60 year old man pushed off the bridge into the drop below. However he just pushed him off one of the support beams onto the bridge itself.

Not only that but what the guy did could be played off as saving the guys life as he made sure he landed safely on the cushion rather than letting the other guy hurt himself.

I'm not saying that all suicidal people are attention whores, just this guy. And even if he wasn't being an attention whore he was going about suicide in a very selfish way.
   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
asphyxiated Offline
Next stop: Land of Sueños
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
asphyxiated's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female

Posts: 201
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: January 19th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 31st 2009, 07:01 PM

I think he should be convicted. Obviously that man was calling for help, and when someone is in need, you do not push them off a bridge.




   
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - May 31st 2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I found a video of this on the internet recently and watched it and as such my opinion is now utterly changed. The guy was in the right to push him off, there was no chance of him dieing as the drop wouldn't be enough to kill anyone (it would hurt though) even without the massive inflatable cushion underneath him. That "suicidal" person seems to have wanted attention rather than an actual suicide. It also certainly didn't seem to be the old guys intention to hurt him either, so it's totally not attempted murder like I suggested earlier.

The article is misleading because I thought that the 60 year old man pushed off the bridge into the drop below. However he just pushed him off one of the support beams onto the bridge itself.

Not only that but what the guy did could be played off as saving the guys life as he made sure he landed safely on the cushion rather than letting the other guy hurt himself.

I'm not saying that all suicidal people are attention whores, just this guy. And even if he wasn't being an attention whore he was going about suicide in a very selfish way.
Could you post a link of this video? From the article, I didn't think it was him being pushed onto the bridge but rather being pushed off a high bridge and onto the cushion.

If it is as you say it is, then I may change it to still agreeing that the guy who pushed was in the right but also even more so that the suicidal guy was simply begging for attention.
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
losing touch.'s Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 5,996
Blog Entries: 537
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - June 1st 2009, 01:03 AM

he shouldn't be charged with anything. he pushed him onto a blow up cushion thing, which isn't going to cause him any fatal damage at all. the guy was causing a massive scene and holding up traffic seemingly for attention.. i'd be pissed off too if i was there. as for suicide being selfish, yes i agree, it is very selfish and this guy is right to take a stand against it.. good on him i say, if anything he saved this guys life by pushing him onto the inflatable rather than letting him jump onto the ground and therfore either seriously injure or kill himself.


..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..



   
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - June 1st 2009, 01:47 AM

Here's the link. There's tons of versions but this one is pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBs0gq67ERA


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - June 1st 2009, 01:59 AM

The guy who pushed him off shouldn't be charged with any crime.


  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Kryptonite's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Gender: Male

Posts: 541
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: CHINA: Man threatens to kill himself by jumping off a bridge - June 1st 2009, 11:58 PM

The guy who pushed him off should be charged, but not with Murder 1 (or 2).


Alex
[Click to PM me.]


"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If I’m alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
I’ll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3




   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
bridge, china, jumping, kill, man, threatens

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.