TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
GREAT BIG HUG
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Craig

North Korea and the Internet - April 18th 2017, 05:43 AM

Hello!

North Korea's leader is 33 year old Kim Jung-un. His father Kim Jong-il was the leader before him. And his grandfather Kim iI-song before that. Every dictator - like every cult leader - restricts access to the outside world for they know that KNOWLEDGE is POWER. And they know that if you keep people stupid [i.e. 'unaware'] they are far easier to control and to manipulate. This is why so many people in other parts of the world FIGHT to keep the Internet out of the hands of government as much as possible.

In North Korea - there is Internet access. But the North Korean government controls it. There are only 28 websites. Internet access doesn't cost anything but a computer is very expensive. And you would require government permission to purchase one. This means that of the country's 25 million people - only a few thousand have access to the [Suffocatingly limited] Internet.

And don't be fooled by some of the names of the sites those few thousand North Korean's can access. 'The Korean Tourism Board' website is not a website about how to enjoy your trip to San Francisco. And the 'Friend' site is not nearly as 'friendly' as you might first think. Everything is controlled. Kim Jung-un would NEVER allow any North Korean to access anything that would make North Korea - or Kim Jung-un - look bad.

Value and appreciate how FREE you still are!

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!

-

Be sure to LIKE my LOVE THE BULLY Facebook Page

I am a 53 year old guy living in Victoria B.C. CANADA - I joined TH on January 11th, 2003

I have been a TeenHelp Member for more than 14 YEARS!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: North Korea and the Internet - April 18th 2017, 07:50 PM

By comparison, I've heard stories from older members of my family who lived in communist Poland... who recounted similar experiences. Everything was strictly rationed, but special considerations were given to various forms of communication:
  • Telephones were almost impossible to purchase. You had to apply for a permit, were lucky if it was approved, and would then wait months for a telephone and often not get it anyway.
  • Travel between various regions was restricted by various means. I believe people were required to seek some sort of "permission" before they were allowed to relocate permanently between various regions (although you could visit as a tourist). Also by comparison, traveling between regions within Russia required a sort of "internal passport" before you were allowed to cross regional boundaries.
  • Postal correspondence was closely monitored. Money sent by post was very often stolen, which served as good enough evidence that personal correspondence between people was monitored as a general national policy.
  • Gathering in religious places of worship (Christian Churches) was dissuaded by the government, although I don't believe it was ever outlawed, as the population would have probably not tolerated it and the government was aware of just how far it could push people before they fought back. In fact, various other types of "gatherings" were outlawed, because otherwise it would offer people the opportunity to communicate between one another about their general dissatisfaction with the government.
Generally, all forms of communication are a threat to a totalitarian government. This video touches on this issue towards the end: The Rules for Rulers

It's why alarm bells go off in my head whenever someone hints at the idea of restricting freedom of speech, for whatever political purposes. It's an instant red flag to me that something is probably wrong with that person. Either they're too ignorant to know the depth of what they're talking about (because they're just parroting someone else's arguments), or there is something genuinely wrong with them in the head. It's not acceptable in probably about 99% of cases. The unique instances when this might be acceptable, is during wartime, when different rules apply, and once wartime is over things ought to be reverted back to what is normal.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: North Korea and the Internet - April 19th 2017, 12:04 AM

Is this what America might become? Ever since the repeal of the privacy act under Trump's administration I worry for the future of the internet. One country has already gained control of the internet (and still does) so this just sets an example for Trump.

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: North Korea and the Internet - April 19th 2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallonRose View Post
Is this what America might become? Ever since the repeal of the privacy act under Trump's administration I worry for the future of the internet. One country has already gained control of the internet (and still does) so this just sets an example for Trump.
No. This will never happen to America, not even if Trump was smart enough to pull it off. The worst that can happen is he might be able to take away net neutrality, which would still be a disaster and basically give internet providers the ability to slow down certain websites. That would suck. However, not only is Trump possibly too stupid and incompetent to successfully pull that off, but his grassroots opposition is strong, possibly strong enough to take back the House of Representatives in 2018. Hell, a Berniecrat almost won in the Kochs' district in Kansas with almost zero help. Based on the numbers for that district where Democrats are probably outnumbered 4 to 1 and have no prior reason to come out and vote, and the guy only lost by 6.5%, a supermajority in the House might be in play, and their power would be enough to derail Trump's agenda and possibly force through sensible legislation.
This is why I hated the election so much. Hillary Clinton's an unpopular politician and a fakeass liberal. As president, she would've obeyed her donors and enacted almost all right wing economic legislation, putting the left to sleep on midterm election day (proof: she did on regular election day, would've been even worse in 2018). The right wing hates her so much that they would have come out to vote in force, continuing America's decay. Then she would've got crushed in the 2020 general election and handed Congress even more to the right wing. Instead, we have a complete moron whom everyone despises enough to destroy his party's agenda. If we can last until 2018 without Trump nuking somebody... I really like America's future, actually. This might be preferable to Clinton. But holy shit, if he and Pence's interactions with North Korea are any indication, he might just nuke somebody.
God help us all.

*another reason the internet thing would (probably) never happen (or at least it wouldn't last long if it did happen) in America is that we would know what we lost, as opposed to North Korea, which sees a restricted internet as the status quo; they don't realize how bad they have it, and they don't realize that they should fight back. But we would.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Closed Thread