TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Informed voting - April 22nd 2017, 04:33 AM

Do you think people should be informed voter even if that means they end up voting for a party you don't agree with or would you simply prefer that people vote based on party and not be informed?

This last election I've seen a lot of people (dem/repub) who chose to vote without being informed. My dad voted dem but wasn't aware of some facts I brought up about Bernie and Hilary.

I see a lot of people who vote solely based on party lines and I don't really agree with that. I think people should be informed. I know most the time people do research they end up voting dem/repub anyway but thats not always the case.

I did my research this past election and ended up voting for a different candidate even though in the past I've mostly rooted for dems.

Idk, it seems like even people within the party don't care if the people voting are informed as long as they get the vote.

I know it's bit every person within the party but I've recently had someone tell me that people don't need to be informed voters because usually when they end up doing the research they end up still voting for the party of their choice.

Sorry if this is confusing I just feel like too many people encourage people within the main parties to vote blindly.

My hometown is heavily conservative (my states liberal) and I hear so many Republicans say they are voting for so and so because he is Republican. (I know dems who do it too). Even if the party aligns with your beliefs isn't research and being am informed voter important?

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Informed voting - April 22nd 2017, 05:22 AM

I'm one of the ones who does at least some research and I end up voting democrat anyway. I would prefer people do research and be informed, but I can't force anybody to do anything. I think my dad (he switched parties when I was little) now votes republican just because he's now a republican. He arrogantly defends Trump now by saying things that I would never expect to come out of his mouth. I can't tell if he's trying to support the president as the president or if he's trying to support the party regardless of what that means. I know when things were reversed he acted exactly like the democrats he now attacks for acting that way.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: Informed voting - April 22nd 2017, 06:03 AM

I do my research and it usually goes with what I believe. When I find something that doesn't go with what I believe I still vote for them. For example, I really did not like Hillary, but I still voted for her because it was the better option. I felt ugly voting for her, but I also felt good because at least I voted. I don't know, I feel like people should be informed but some people are so ignorant they wouldn't be moved even if it affected them directly, or some people like me are too worried about the future to focus on little things that could become big.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Informed voting - April 22nd 2017, 06:19 AM

I'm not American however regarding my country, I do my research about the candidates and their party. I've been raised in a conservative household and I tend to side on the platform of that party as well. However, I at least look at what each one supports and believes in before fully deciding which way to vote even though that is usually conservative.

My dad on the other hand and my mum to some extent, just vote party. They have their beliefs and they just vote for that specific party regardless of the candidate.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Informed voting - April 22nd 2017, 06:54 PM

If people were informed in America, the Republican party would almost completely fizzle out within 6 years.
I agree with anyone above who voted for Hillary and wanted to kick a kitten afterwards. The reason I DIDN'T like her was because I was informed. I knew she was Republican-lite and she would get replaced by someone even worse in four years because of that. But the reason I voted for her against Trump was because I was informed about him and his party and I knew we would be walking into an unmitigated disaster.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Informed voting - April 23rd 2017, 03:23 AM

I'm at odds. The process is to be democratic. A lot of people coming to America weren't afforded the opportunities that other people had growing up in the American education system (not that it's ideal by any means). In other words, it depends on what you mean by "informed." I think all restrictions other than being a U.S. citizen should be removed, and that voting should be made EASIER not more difficult. So long as this informed decision isn't a barrier to voting, I'm all for it. However, I don't see how something like that could be implemented.

Voting shouldn't be some large obstacle. It should be more accessible.

Lastly, being "informed" is kind of relative. My grandma always told me, "there's your story, my story, and then there's the truth." Who would be creating this information and what about controlling their biases?

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Informed voting - April 25th 2017, 08:34 PM

I'm skeptical of this because I'm worried it may be used by some people as an excuse to argue that "uneducated people shouldn't be allowed to vote".

Of course, I've already met people like that. Ironically, a sizeable number of these people for some reason tended to like making exceptions when it came to migrants from poorer countries (who by default aren't allowed to even vote in the first place) who tend to have worse education as well.

Blatantly corrupt ideals, and not even hiding it. 100% partisan.

Any which way, I prefer to give individual people more credit with regard to what they think is best for them, and what candidate they think is most likely to deliver these things. I don't care about the person's background. Every citizen is equal at the voting booth.

I know that what I criticize above isn't really what you're talking about, but I wanted to draw that line. I really do think people who cast votes without doing any research whatsoever are idiots, and counterproductive (with a few exceptions). I support the idea of having some basic questionnaire (like 3 questions) that would aim to probe whether the person knows the most basic facts about who they're voting for / what policies they support. I have very vague ideas on how something like this could be fairly implemented though, and if it can't be done fairly then might as well not bother.

Some shit you just have to live with. I'd be more interested in thinking about how people can raise the standards of education, which I do think would also address problems like this, if only indirectly.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Informed voting - April 27th 2017, 05:47 PM

I don't see how informed and educated voters are going to help the liberal voting base. Historically, liberals have been opposed to such things, claiming that they discriminate against minorities since, by their own words, minorities are less likely to be informed voters. If getting rid of uninformed and uneducated voters would help the progressive's movement, how come they always oppose such legislation?

"Donald J. Trump, Eternal President of the United States, God-Emperor of Mankind, Defender of the Faith, Führer of the free world, Kaiser und Reichskanzler of the Tausendjähriges Trumpenreich, and literally the only reason you should have a Twitter account." -Random neo-nazi friend of mine

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"-Abraham Lincoln

(#9 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Informed voting - April 27th 2017, 08:49 PM

Because when you go issue by issue, a majority of Americans agree with the liberal position on basically every issue except the death penalty. If people understand the issues, its only logical that people would vote for their interests.
And what are you talking about with regard to liberals trying to keep voters uneducated? That doesnt make any sense. If people knew the issues, they'd know that the Democrats support things that help people (even if they only support them half-heartedly) like the minimum wage, universal healthcare, Social security expansion, more welfare, better education funding, less war, and basically every other issue. I can't think of a single issue on the Republican platform that has actually been proven to help people aside from axing the TPP- and that was Trump and Bannon's idea, not the traditional Republicans. They'd also know that trickle-down economics is a windfall of money for the rich that leaves the poor working more than 40 hours for nothing but scraps.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Informed voting - April 27th 2017, 10:49 PM

I think being an informed voter gets to the root of a larger problem because of what it means to be informed - and what it means to be informed and not biased! Loads of people can know the facts but if they believe something strongly enough (esp. over dividing issues like religion, politics, abortion, gay marriage, and so forth), they'll do their damn best to resist accepting that they know the facts contradict what they believe. And, generally, I don't care (e.g. I don't care if people believe in a a god or gods or no god, even when evidence doesn't back up the existence of one or the other) but I do care when what people believe is harmful (e.g. if people refuse to accept the facts of how an issue will put women / black people / etc at risk).

Obviously people should focus on voting (regardless of what they do and do not know) because voter turn out sucks, esp. amongst young people and minorities. And if you're in the position to be a knowledgable other, than take the extra step. But honestly, I think you can still make the "right" choice (in my books, honestly, this looks like voting for a socially progressive/socially liberal person) without knowing a lot about politics - they might hear that person talk and be like "this aligns with my views the most" because realistically, some people just don't like politics and will vote for the people they assume represents them more closely.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#11 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: Informed voting - May 2nd 2017, 09:49 PM

Typically I do a little research on all candidates and make my decision based on their platforms among other things like how ethical they are, compassionate, realistic but also open minded, history of lying or scandals, etc. I hardly doubt I will ever vote Republican though just because their platforms usually never match my views.

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

Closed Thread