TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Angry Pre-Existing Conditions - May 5th 2017, 08:25 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

If Trump's replacement of Obamacare passes the Senate, millions of people could be denied coverage for even previously having acne, acid reflux, and even migraines. While the list goes on and on, one thing that really strikes a nerve with me is that they can deny those with mental illnesses which in turn deprives them of their medication but they can still go out and buy a weapon. I'm sorry, but people with a mental illness who cannot be prescribed medication should not be able to go out and buy a gun. Doesn't this seem a little flawed? Another problem that I have (among a plethora of others) is that pregnancy could cost those up to 425% more than if they were insured under Obamacare.
Back on the topic of pre-existing conditions, don't you think the list is a little ridiculous? I've also heard rumors that history of sexual abuse/assult and rape could deny you health insurance, therefore discouraging people from reporting it.
Absolutely appalling.

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Pre-Existing Conditions - May 5th 2017, 09:16 PM

The American Health Care bill covers those with pre existing conditions, that won't change. You can not be denied insurance based on pre existing conditions.

This article breaks things down nicely:
http://amp.usatoday.com/story/101283530/

I am personally glad that something is being done. We are considered a low income family and our insurance tripled due to Obamacare. I am not sure this new bill will lower prices, but something needs to be done. I know lots of families that are suffering due to the strict price increase from Obamacare.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Pre-Existing Conditions - May 5th 2017, 09:33 PM

The Medicaid expansion is the only reason I have coverage, as much as I didn't want to go on it, I'm SO glad it's there. As much as I want to say this will never pass the house, I also said Trump would never get elected. There's a big difference between the bill making the changes a definite reality, and it giving the states the option to implement them. I'm lucky to live in a state where our legislators opposed the bill, so hopefully they won't take the options it provides them. I am tempted to go apply for SSI because as much as I don't want to, I need proof that I'm disabled and require the Medicaid, not just lazy and expecting to be taken care of.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Last edited by Kate*; May 5th 2017 at 11:53 PM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Pre-Existing Conditions - May 6th 2017, 12:25 AM

I never thought I'd see a worse healthcare bill than the last one the Republicans presented, but here it is. All of the best healthcare systems in the world are socialized. That's how you fix the US healthcare system, you socialize medicine, you don't privatize it more and allow insurance agencies to further screw people. The US has the 37th best healthcare system and is last among developed nations. It's gonna get far worse after this, just wait until the CBO report that likely will say that over 50 million people will be uninsured by 2020.
Now don't get me wrong, Obamacare wasn't all that great. It was actually the Republican response back when it looked like the Democrats wanted single-payer healthcare in the 80s and 90s. Mitt Romney created it in Massachusetts. Obama caved with a supermajority and created that instead of single-payer. If we had Medicare for All, we wouldn't have to worry about this bullshit.
The silver lining is that people will stop putting up with this garbage and elect real liberals who will fix the problem.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Pre-Existing Conditions - May 6th 2017, 01:35 AM

It does, technically, cover pre-existing conditions. But, it allows insurance companies to charge people exorbitant amounts for pre-existing conditions and puts a lot of people into high risk pools which don't work.

People are under the misconception that it covers pre-existing conditions but it allows states to decide and it allows insurance companies to charge more.

Sexual assault used to be a pre-existing condition before the ACA. It wasn't actually the sexual assault that was the pre-existing condition it was the treatment people received. There was an article I read about a woman who was raped and she was prescribed anti virals. She had to change insurance the company said that she had to prove that she could be hiv free for three years before they would cover her.

Also, this bill gives states the right to opt out of essential health benefits. There were ten set up by the ACA. I know two of them were mental health coverage and pregnancy.

So, if stayes opt out of covering those things that means the plans won't need to have maternity benefits or mental health services. I can't remember what the other eight are.

So, in essence the GOP is trying to say that pre-existing conditions will be covered but they aren't fully telling the truth. They will be covered but they aren't going to stop insurance companies from charging more which will make it hard for a lot of people to afford coverage. And, things like pregnancy and mental health will go back to being things that people aren't required to cover.

This has potential to mess over people that get employee coverage too. I live in a very liberal state and have never had issues with insurance but from what I know there are people who have insurance coverage through work and had been denied coverage because they changed companies etc.

ACA isn't perfect. There are a lot of issues with it but this is not the fix and it is likely to hurt more people than it helps.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Pre-Existing Conditions - May 9th 2017, 01:45 AM

If you can't afford health insurance with pre-existing conditions than it's as inaccessible as if you were denied. AHCA is a disaster and I'm not sure it can pass through the senate. I wrote a paper on its first draft and when they revised it and made it worse...ah. I just can't.

Americans, I'd highly recommend calling your senators and express your concern rather than just complain about it. It really does make a difference. The very conservative representative in the district I am moving to was very receptive to my criticism (as I gave him a fair and informed critique, statistics, and personal examples to the assistant who took my call), and ended up voting against it after hearing my and other constituents concerns. If you need help knowing who your senators are let me know Even if you're for it and want to call them to encourage them to vote for it. Either way, I'll help you.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Pre-Existing Conditions - May 9th 2017, 03:09 AM

The basis for this thread is entirely wrong and is based upon false left-wing propaganda, let me explain.

1. The AHCA still mandates that insurance companies cannot deny insurance to those with with pre-existing conditions, and that insurance companies must provide an equal premium regardless of pre-existing conditions. State legislatures can vote though to allow insurance companies to charge a certain amount more over pre-existing conditions, but still not deny them.

2. There hasn't been any set list of defined "pre-existing conditions." Some people are claiming pre-exisiting conditions only include such things as cancer, obesity, and major terminal diseases, while other are claiming the title includes such as acne, assault, and migranes. We simply don't know, so it is fallacious of you to claim that denial because of acne is true.

3. There is no rape pre-existing condition cause anywhere in the AHCA. Don't have much to add, but even left-leaning sites will admit that.

4. Anyone with a basic understand of economics and how insurance works should realize that forcing equal payment for insurance is doomed for failure. Two things will happen if you force this. Either insurance companies will grow bankrupt, forcing the Federal government to bail them out, or insurance companies are going to raise premiums on relatively healthy people. We see that with Obamacare, premiums are rising for your average American. And a government run healthcare would have the same problems, taxation increases across the board so a minority could be advantaged.

Its not that the GOP doesn't care about sick people, it is that the GOP also cares about the regular people, and forcing them to suffer for the benefit of minority is not a fair and right system.

5. Americans were not dying off in-mass before Obamacare mandated pre-existing condition coverage, they won't start dying off now.

6. The same people claiming that the AHCA will fail and the Republicans will lose Congress over it, are the same people who claimed that Obamacare will be extremely popular and that the Democratic-controlled Congress would remain because of it. Think on that

7. The bill is almost certainly going to be vastly modified or even replaced by the Senate. I can say with no doubts that this bill will not be implemented as is.

"Donald J. Trump, Eternal President of the United States, God-Emperor of Mankind, Defender of the Faith, Führer of the free world, Kaiser und Reichskanzler of the Tausendjähriges Trumpenreich, and literally the only reason you should have a Twitter account." -Random neo-nazi friend of mine

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"-Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by PlasmaHam; May 10th 2017 at 02:55 AM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Pre-Existing Conditions - May 10th 2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
The basis for this thread is entirely wrong and is based upon false left-wing propaganda, let me explain.

1. The AHCA still mandates that insurance companies cannot deny insurance to those with with pre-existing conditions, and that insurance companies must provide an equal premium regardless of pre-existing conditions. State legislatures can vote though to allow insurance companies to charge a certain amount more over pre-existing conditions, but still not deny them.

2. There hasn't been any set list of defined "pre-existing conditions." Some people are claiming pre-exisiting conditions only include such things as cancer, obesity, and major terminal diseases, while other are claiming the title includes such as acne, assault, and migranes. We simply don't know, so it is fallacious of you to claim that denial because of acne is true.

3. There is no rape pre-existing condition cause anywhere in the AHCA. Don't have much to add, but even left-leaning sites will admit that.

4. Anyone with a basic understand of economics and how insurance works should realize that forcing equal payment for insurance is doomed for failure. Two things will happen if you force this. Either insurance companies will grow bankrupt, forcing the Federal government to bail them out, or insurance companies are going to raise premiums on relatively healthy people. We see that with Obamacare, premiums are rising for your average American. And a government run healthcare would have the same problems, taxation increases across the board so a minority could be advantaged.

Its not that the GOP doesn't care about sick people, it is that the GOP also cares about the regular people, and forcing them to suffer for the benefit of minority is not a fair and right system.

5. Americans were not dying off in-mass before Obamacare mandated pre-existing condition coverage, they won't start dying off now.

6. The same people claiming that the AHCA will fail and the Republicans will lose Congress over it, are the same people who claimed that Obamacare will be extremely popular and that the Democratic-controlled Congress would remain because of it. Think on that

7. The bill is almost certainly going to be vastly modified or even replaced by the Senate. I can say with no doubts that this bill will not be implemented as is.
Really, I feel like I could ask Coffee about health insurance and just learn everything about it. After all, she wrote a paper on the first bill. Anyway...
1. This new bill allows insurance companies to raise the premiums like crazy on pre-existing conditions. Sure, they can't deny anyone with a pre-existing condition, but they can charge ridiculously high rates for them. Then people won't buy insurance. Its effectively the same thing for a lot of people as being denied insurance based on pre-existing conditions. Also, according to the first iteration of the bill, the insurance companies can also enforce a penalty on people who didn't have insurance before- insurance companies can charge a 30% surcharge if you didn't have insurance before. It's effectively the individual mandate all over again. However, now that the Freedom Caucus is on board, the penalty has possibly gotten even worse.
2. The GOP rushed the bill in before many of their own representatives could even read it. Same for us, and the bill isn't even finished (Senate pending). However, before Obamacare, acne often was considered a pre-existing condition. If the GOP wants to deregulate the health insurance companies, its a safe assumption that acne will again be cited as a preexisting condition.
3. Abibliophobe touched on this, it isn't the rape that is the preexisting condition, its the treatment and the emotional and physical trauma from the rape that are the preexisting conditions.
4. With a progressive tax system, the rich would pay more into the system. That does NOT mean they'll suddenly go poor or even drop to middle class. The richest people in the country are too obscenely wealthy to actually be burdened from any reasonable tax put on them. Taxing the rich at a higher rate makes sense because right now, the 8 richest people in the world have more money than the bottom 50%. That's completely unethical and has to be fixed because trickle-down economics got them that money. Those 8 people didn't work harder than the bottom 3.5 billion. So yeah, they should have to give something back for the good of everyone. The worst part about that is though, they literally have more money than they can spend. The money collects dust in their vaults for no reason.
But moving on, thats how you pay for it, you tax the rich more. Its not done by forcing equal payment from every person, that would mean that the poorest people would literally have higher taxes than money they own. Then it would implode, definitely. As for the economics of healthcare, the entire business is built off of people getting sick; thats the profit incentive, charging high-risk people who need insurance more money, even though THEY are the ones who need insurance. The alternative is for healthy people to get insurance and the sick are told to pound sand. Thats what insurance is, a company assesses the risk of failure and charges a premium accordingly (thank you, Econ 101). And you get sick, you're suddenly riskier, and you can be charged higher. That shouldnt be done regarding people's health, its far too important and screws too many people. Whats the point of insurance if the people who need it can't get it? Me personally, I don't care if a bunch of the private health insurance companies go bankrupt. They rob you blind for getting sick. Protecting insurance companies would be akin to protecting the mafia. But also, with one universal, giant insurer like Medicare, the workers could then get a new job with them (unless I'm horribly mistaken).
Another important thing, Obamacare actually slowed down the growth rates of premiums compared to how they were before when Bush was in charge. http://www.factcheck.org/2015/02/slo...h-under-obama/

Oh God... no, the GOP doesnt care about anybody except for themselves, their families, and their donors. This is unrelated, but thats why a lot of the GOP flipped on gay marriage; oftentimes when they suddenly found out they had a gay family member, they realized the issue was close to them, so they changed their positions. But otherwise, they couldn't care less about anybody outside their bubble.
5. Yeah, they were. The options for poor people were to either drop dead (or, you know, just be sick) or go bankrupt paying for medical bills. They couldnt afford insurance. Thats why we had to get Obamacare (we needed something significantly more left-wing, actually) in the first place, because too many people couldnt afford insurance. Medical bankruptcy doesnt exist in other industrialized countries, and yet its the leading cause of bankruptcy in the US. But also, nobody in those other countries goes uninsured.
6. Obamacare was 55% popular in April, according to Gallup. Granted, part of your point is true- Democratic party loyalists loved Obamacare, and they still love Obamacare just because it has Obama in the name. Real liberals wanted single-payer, and a lot of the loyalists like Nancy Pelosi don't. But its not just Democratic loyalists who hate this bill. The AHCA bill has ranged from 17% approval in its first form to 31% right now. 31% is the high point, and thats without the CBO announcing how many people will lose insurance. So yeah, you appear to be in a significant minority of people who think this is a good idea.
7. That is true. There's also a chance that it will fall on its face and nothing will happen. However, thats not likely when Congress is full of corporate sellouts like Ted Cruz and Joe Manchin.

None of the happiest nations on Earth implement free market healthcare- because it doesnt work. They have single-payer healthcare. And you certainly don't see them having giant complaints about their healthcare systems like we do. I want to follow them, not settle for a right-wing healthcare bill (Obamacare) or this... thing (AHCA).
And look, I don't mean to look like an asshole by trying to counter your assertions point by point, but another viewpoint is never a bad thing.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Pre-Existing Conditions - May 10th 2017, 12:35 PM

I think before we try a new system that isn't fully planned out, we need to focus on pharmaceutical companies over charging for necessary drugs. The only FDA approved drug to treat my condition had an 841% increase from '07 to '14. Turing Pharmaceuticals tried raising the price of a drug over 5,000%. I know Trump has mentioned wanting to lower drug costs, but I really think that needs to be done before a new system can work.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread