TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

NHS Cyber attack. - May 12th 2017, 05:53 PM

I mean it's annoying I am without one of my medications over the weekend now but its disgusting and scary that this is putting health and lives at risk.

My county has been hit badly. My crisis team just called because no one can ring them so they had to give me an urgent number. Who even does this? Its absolutely mad.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: NHS Cyber attack. - May 12th 2017, 07:36 PM

It's absolutely horrible that there are people out there who see no problem with hacking into systems that are necessary to help those struggling with their health. I really hope this gets resolved soon and that no serious damage/health risks comes as a result of it.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: NHS Cyber attack. - May 12th 2017, 08:57 PM

This is absolutely disgusting.

It's trending on Facebook and NHS aren't the only victims. Wired has an article on the Ransomware Attack.

Last edited by DeletedAccount24; May 13th 2017 at 12:38 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: NHS Cyber attack. - May 14th 2017, 01:05 AM

It breaks my heart that this kind of thing happend. Many people's lives are at risk now. What a horrible prank or whatever this was meant to be.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: Kav

Re: NHS Cyber attack. - May 14th 2017, 01:19 AM

This doesn't seem like a prank. This seems like a well thought out attack. Over 40,000 organizations in many countries have been affected. Earlier reports said 45 countries but the number has increased since then and I haven't really kept track. The supposed attack is a ransomware that has encrypted files and users have to pay a certain amount in bitcoins to regain access to their files. If the amount is not paid in a few days, the threat is that the files will be deleted.

My concern right now is that sensitive information is out in the open and it is still under speculation as to who has it and who is behind it. If we talk about the NHS in particular people's medical history records are under threat. There still isn't word as to what kind of organisations have been attacked in other countries and my main fear remains that sensitive information might have been attacked there as well.

There are so many words I could use to describe how I feel about this but the main one would be scary. It scares me because, in today's world where most of our lives are online, we have sensitive information online, it is just plain scary especially when something of this large a scale hits.

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: NHS Cyber attack. - May 14th 2017, 03:57 PM

This is terrible! I've been so out of the loop for a couple of days on news so coming back to bad news is hard to hear. I hope everything gets resolved soon and there's minimal damage.

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: NHS Cyber attack. - May 14th 2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormborn. View Post
It scares me because, in today's world where most of our lives are online, we have sensitive information online, it is just plain scary especially when something of this large a scale hits.
I agree, with everything being stored in an online database, server, or the cloud these days, it just opens up the possibility of being hacked by less honorable people who want to do nothing but cause damage and pain for others. My medical information is stored in an online database, which I am not entirely cool with, but people are so against the old-fashioned way of using a large physical storage facility with patient information. The only thing people had to worry about back then were fires destroying all the files, and maybe that has a little part in it. This bit is why I always believe in duplicating things and the only time I will ever condone using technology (scanners) to do so.

For my computer, I don't have anything on it. It's a blank slate. Everything is stored on my external hard drive, which I always disconnect when I'm not using it. I'm not sure if malware, ransomware, and viruses can actually get access to external drives, but it's best to be safe than sorry. Although, I also have copies of whatever's on my external drive (minus pictures because I have about 60 gigs worth of images) is stored on Google Drive as well. So if Google ever gets hacked or phished...

At least 100,000 groups in 150 nations hit by cyberattack. - Boston Globe

Last edited by DeletedAccount24; May 14th 2017 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Adding news article.

Closed Thread