TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

View Poll Results: Would you dumpster dive?
Yes 6 28.57%
No 13 61.90%
Maybe 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Oregano Offline
it's a herb

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Dumpster Diving - August 7th 2017, 10:12 AM

Earlier today I was reading an article about dumpster diving and it got me thinking about food wastage, and I know for sure that a lot of supermarkets and fresh produce places throw a lot of food away simply because they look gross or they're imperfect or the tins has a dent in it or it's past it's expiration date. My friend does dumpster diving for food and she recently got all of this free, straight from the dumpster. http://imgur.com/xxTnxnl

Would you dumpster dive for food? Yes or no, and why?

I personally would do so, because I don't like wastage, and I'm from a family who doesn't believe in wastage, so everything must be used. Everything has a purpose. Most of the things that they throw out is fruit and vegetables all the good stuff is on the inside, the outside is mostly peeled off and discarded.

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Undeleted4 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 7th 2017, 10:38 AM

Erm, idk about dumpster diving for food. Sounds risky to you own health having to go through other people's garbage looking for food. Plus I don't think it's even legal in my country to do such a thing. To an answer your question, no I would never dumpster dive, even if I knew someone was wasteful. It's their stuff, let them do what they want with it.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 7th 2017, 02:20 PM

I am extremely picky and paranoid about food, so I wouldn't dumpster dive for food. However, I put maybe because I wouldn't be as hesitant to dumpster dive for non-food items if it was allowed in certain areas. For instance, some big box pet stores throw out perfectly good items (e.g. good, unused fish tanks or extra stock items that they aren't going to sell). There are people on YouTube who solely post videos about finding new items behind chain stores. But, even then, that maybe leans towards a no because I think dumpster diving would probably make me anxious so I would be more likely to watch someone I know do it than to dumpster dive myself.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 7th 2017, 04:38 PM

I'd be too afraid the food is contaminated in some way. I wouldn't have known where the food was before they threw it out or why it was there or what it came in contact with. I wouldn't want a foodborne illness.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
oddity Offline
A bunch of kids sharing a bod
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Team Oddity

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 7th 2017, 05:17 PM

We actually used to dumpster dive a little bit, but never for food. I would never do that for food.

Although we actually did get a popcorn machine at one point, but we cleaned that and even then we didn't really use it.

-Remy

Team Oddity
Those who use this:
Rex, Remy, Goat, Cally, Buggo
Click for all of us and Click for information about systems

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 7th 2017, 07:31 PM

I might do it for items other than food but I would be worried about getting sick if I tried it with food.

That being said, if I didn't have a lot of money or was struggling to afford food I might do something like that. Although, to be honest, I would be more likely to go to a food pantry.

I know, Starbucks is or was working with a company to distribute all their unsold food to food banks. It would be great if other stores followed suit because food does go to waste.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 9th 2017, 12:20 AM

I can't stand touching other people's food. Also, I'm pretty germaphobic, and the idea of violating the 5 second rule makes me uneasy. Violating that rule after a minute makes me wanna puke.
If I was flat-broke and desperate, I'd probably steal before I did dumpster diving.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 9th 2017, 07:57 AM

I would totally dumpster dive for food, especially if I was living an overall minimalist lifestyle (which I dream of doing). However I think it's illegal in France so that would hold me back from doing it unless there was somewhere I knew I'd have easy undisturbed access to.

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Oregano Offline
it's a herb

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 9th 2017, 12:07 PM

How about not going through other people's bins but supermarket bins? I looked into a bin the other day as it was nearing closing time and I saw loads of vegetables that looked a bit wonky but however still fine..

I wouldn't take meat or dairy as I know that is really harmful and you could get sick from food poisoning and salmonella, etc. Fruit, vegetables, anything in tins are fine. Would you still dumpster dive?

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Malcharion Offline
Here's to the fools who dream
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 9th 2017, 03:35 PM

I wouldn't for food. But stuff like thrown-out furniture, books, appliances, etc, sure.

What news from the West, O wandering wind, do you
bring to me tonight?
Have you seen Boromir the Tall by moon or by starlight?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 9th 2017, 10:11 PM

I wouldn't for food or for non food items. I would be too creeped out about germs.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 9th 2017, 11:17 PM

I would never do it. Simply because I enjoy the finer things in life, and while its materialistic and possibly snobbish, I refuse to go through garbage to find things.

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

Last edited by TheAtomicBlade; August 12th 2017 at 02:20 AM.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 10th 2017, 01:16 PM

I'm on the fence. To a degree I'd say yes because it's all good food, but the idea of going into a bin, regardless of what type it is, gives me horrible thoughts of germs and whatever else. On the other side, there's a lot of good stuff thrown away in them. In fact there's a lot of good stuff thrown away from shops in general.

All in all, most likely not unless I'm extremely desperate. However I would most certainly press for that supermarket/shop to donate their waste produce and goods to a local food bank or similar. Where I live there are a fair few homeless people, or even in the city I study at university. The food thrown away could be used to help keep them going and help to ease their concerns of having to constantly ask/beg for money to buy food all the time.

Any other food that's past its best before date could easily be sold off as excessive stock to clearance stores or websites such as Approved Food where they purchase short-dated or excess stock thus providing the supermarket with some income and customers can save money on a whole boatload of items that would otherwise be sold at full price. Not only that, farmers/manufacturers must be having a fit knowing all the hard work that went into growing and producing such products has only ended up in the waste bin.

At the current time, no I wouldn't. In the future, if I was desperate.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 11th 2017, 12:57 PM

I would not dumpster dive for food or anything edible. However, I might for something that good thrown away which is still in good condition. I'd worry about broken glass and rusty nails, though; so I probably wouldn't anyways.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 17th 2017, 02:15 PM

Not quite. But as a chef i used to kindly put good food to the side of the dumpster(it dissapeared quickly). Problem is i had to throw it out due to health codes-even if the can is just slightly dented. U could always ask the chef/manager for food waste. Its a tax write off too.

"Smooth seas do not a skilled sailor make."-mark twain
  Send a message via Skype™ to formerly chevyguy350 
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 17th 2017, 11:01 PM

I think that is different, though. Do you mean you'd leave it out for the animals or someone less fortunate/unable to afford the food/homeless? Because I wouldn't consider those people to be dumpster diving, because it's theirs to take.

Another reason I wouldn't dumpster dive is that it might be illegal and is considered trespassing. Sure, someone threw it away, but it's the concept that the rubbish bin serves a purpose. It belongs to the town or waste management company. That sounds completely geeky, but just my two cents.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 18th 2017, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridescent. View Post
I think that is different, though. Do you mean you'd leave it out for the animals or someone less fortunate/unable to afford the food/homeless? Because I wouldn't consider those people to be dumpster diving, because it's theirs to take.

Another reason I wouldn't dumpster dive is that it might be illegal and is considered trespassing. Sure, someone threw it away, but it's the concept that the rubbish bin serves a purpose. It belongs to the town or waste management company. That sounds completely geeky, but just my two cents.
If ur starving i dont think ud care of its illegal. And yes id leave it out for the needy. Made sure animals didnt get it though. Lol

(#18 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 18th 2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerly chevyguy350 View Post
If ur starving i dont think ud care of its illegal. And yes id leave it out for the needy. Made sure animals didnt get it though. Lol
I definitely agree and I think that goes back to the way we treat homeless people as a whole. They aren't allowed to panhandle especially in certain areas. They may have homeless 'camps' set up and cities will go out of the way to make those camps illegal so the homeless have absolutely no where to go and shelters are over run. It's pretty much 'illegal' to be homeless. It might be different in other cities but I know my city is really cruel to the homeless. They are currently trying to get rid of a homeless camp and a few years ago they did the same exact thing to another homeless camp.

That being said, I like your idea of talking to chefs/stores about food waste. I know there are some places that are really cool about it. I've been in Starbucks a few times in the past and gotten free drinks because they got the order wrong etc.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Dumpster Diving - August 18th 2017, 03:58 PM

I dont know where u are but chances are theres an Anonymous park feed nearby(part of opsafewinter). You should be able to find one on facebook if it interests you. Just a bunch of activists and hacktivists flaunting the law by feeding the homeless and giving out clothes, hygeine products, etc. Some also run homeless shelters out of their homes and such. U sound like youd like it.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
City17 Offline
Crazy Bastard
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hamed

Re: Dumpster Diving - September 2nd 2017, 02:00 AM

I would not dumpster dive, but I commend those that do and can understand completely. I remember going to a barbecue with my family a couple of years ago, at the Royal National Park, and when I opened the bin to get rid of something, I saw an entire tray, 24 sausages still wrapped in the plastic. If I was there on my own, I would have grabbed it and started dancing in the street to celebrate my luck.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Concinnity Offline
Go gold.
Not a n00b

Name: Hailey

Re: Dumpster Diving - September 2nd 2017, 02:27 AM

I don't think I would ever dumpster dive unless I was really, really desperate - and even then, probably not for food if I could help it. Just too much risk of germs. But I understand why other people do it, especially for non-food items or things that can't perish.

"Chase your stars, fool. Life is short."

Closed Thread