TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I've been here a while

Name: Emma

The Las Vegas shooting. - October 2nd 2017, 10:06 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of death or grieving, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I can't believe something like this can happen. I feel so bad for the people who have passed away by this guy who did this and for all the people who are in the hospital who are terribly hurt and the other people who are so upset because you've lost somebody and hurting from this. I honestly don't understand, how you can hurt people you don't know or know and just do this to them. You're supposed to go to a concert and have a great time and not have it end in tragedy. What is wrong with them? And that's a question I keep asking myself. I don't think I'll ever be able to answer this.
What are you're thoughts on this?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 3rd 2017, 03:33 AM

2017 has been a wild ride and it doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon. I'm at a loss for words for this horrific event.
#PrayForVegas #PrayForPuertoRico #PrayForVirginIslands #PrayForFlorida #PrayForMexico #PrayForHouston #PrayForManchester......it keeps going on and on. Pray for the world honestly.

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 3rd 2017, 03:57 AM

One of the worst parts, to me, was when this was going on and my friend from Singapore told me about it. He told me there was a mass shooting in progress in Las Vegas and my response was, "yeah, that happens every now and then." This country has a billion problems, but mass shootings are one of those problems that we could potentially fix. This shouldn't have to be a part of anyone's life.
I'm real tired of this shit. I know I might sound like a cold bastard, but I'm growing numb to this because it happens so often. God help us all.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 3rd 2017, 03:58 AM

I'm so desensitized it's ridiculous. I also am hearing a lot less about this one on Facebook and elsewhere, and I don't know if it's because i don't have access to a TV right now or what. :/ So awful though.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 3rd 2017, 04:15 AM

i would think that the more these happen the more desensitized i'd get to them. i mean, i watch gore for fun, for crying outloud.
but it actually gets harder and harder to cope with, especially since this hit really close to home. like, scarily close.
i was actually in vegas last month, it's like a second home to me. it has been my family's vacation spot for years and now that this happened it'll be awhile before we even think of going back.

this is the first massacre i've actually cried over. i watched the liveleak footage of the shooting and some first person videos on snapchat and it just really got to me. i've been really depressed about it all day. none of my friends or family seem as affected by it, so i feel kind of weird for being so affected by it.

if i'm feeling like this and i wasn't even remotely involved in it, i cannot even imagine how the victims and families of the victims are feeling. it's just devastating.

evil seems to be growing even more prominently and nobody's taking any action to do shit about it. it's also disgusting to me to see people making memes and jokes about the event, as well as trying to politicize it already. i'm so sick of this fucking blame game between the parties, why can't we just have a discussion and work these things out together rather than continuing to grow apart?

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 3rd 2017, 06:59 AM

My thoughts and prayers go out to those that lost their lives.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 3rd 2017, 09:13 AM

This was a bad thing to happen in the history of humanity

My thoughts and prayers go to the people hurt by this incident because I cannot do anything more

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 3rd 2017, 12:05 PM

I feel very weird how the night before I was telling TH chat that if a gunman enters the room we should play dead. And I was recalling back from when my professor had to do an "emergency training" with us.

I mean this is what we are learning. I remember when our class would be taught heimlach manuver of someone is choking or if there's a fire.
Now it is all things that involve human perpretrators we have to watch out for like bombs and guns. We could be dedicating our time to so much better things.

My heart is with vegas and it hasn't even left peurto rico, the caribbean islands, Florida, Houston, Manchester or Paris yet.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 3rd 2017, 03:08 PM

I saw clips of it on the news, where someone had been filming the concert and you could hear the gunshots in the background. At first, no-one knew what it was, but then the realisation set in. I can't imagine the terror. But equally, I seem to be finding myself reacting less to news like this these days :/

Thoughts are with those affected.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 3rd 2017, 09:12 PM

I am saddened but so desensitized by it that it isn't really hard hitting (Not sure that is the word). Not really certain what the solution is to all of this. It makes me feel very unsafe going out in public which has always been an issue anyway.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#11 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 4th 2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
I am saddened but so desensitized by it that it isn't really hard hitting (Not sure that is the word). Not really certain what the solution is to all of this. It makes me feel very unsafe going out in public which has always been an issue anyway.
I feel you on that and everyone who had mentioned desensitization.
I don't know how your neighborhoods are like but mine seems to be experiencing lots of problems. But maybe that's just the inner city life.

In the last 8 years, I've learned to distinguish gunshots from fireworks like the back of my hand. It is so common for there to be something or other happening locally either among civilians or between civilian and police. I mean in high school we had several emergencies that involved either locking up the whole building or evacuating. And we were 4000 students. There were even stabbings from fights between two middle schools.
And there was this thing that happened in Times Square in Manhattan with the car running into people. That hits SO close to home. But maybe because my city is a huge target for crimes and mass crimes. Another incident was in a train station that i was in like 20 minutes prior.
And in May, I was a block away from a local gun shooting
I'm on one hand numb. I need a certain amount of numbness to keep going. If I were to have a full breakdown for every homeless person I saw, I would probably have been dead a long time ago from drowning in my own tears.

It is like a human defense mechanism to feel numb. But on the other hand, part of me is finding that it is still affecting me so much and the numbness can only shield me for so long

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 4th 2017, 01:17 AM

I'm not surprised. This kind of thing has become almost commonplace in the United States, which is why so many people are desensitized to it, myself included. However, I don't believe in the "thoughts and prayers" going around. They're nice words to say, and they show a positive sentiment and a cognizance of the suffering of fellow human beings, but it doesn't actually get anything done. The key is to make a difference. Donate blood. Donate money. Donate time. Reach out to your local politicians and make sure that your voice is heard, because make no mistake, as long as laws don't change this is going to keep happening. Doesn't matter whether you think the issue is: do something. Only then can things get better.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 4th 2017, 02:48 AM

I live relatively close to the state of Nevada so a lot of people in my city and state go to Vegas. Some people even drive. Today on the news it was revealed that at least one person who lived in my city was killed. I didn't know her but she was my age. She lived in a different city but had gone to the state college here and worked here for a bit.

I've been waiting to hear of someone from my town being there because of how often people in my city/state frequent Nevada.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 4th 2017, 07:05 AM

I live like 9 hours by car away from vegas . My best friend from childhood was supposed to be up there and at that concert but she decided not to go. This stuff is so sad. But it is happening all the time. There really needs to be a crack down on gun laws.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 4th 2017, 01:26 PM

Thank you for you're thoughts on this. Hugs to everyone!

(#16 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 4th 2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceCommander View Post
I'm not surprised. This kind of thing has become almost commonplace in the United States, which is why so many people are desensitized to it, myself included. However, I don't believe in the "thoughts and prayers" going around. They're nice words to say, and they show a positive sentiment and a cognizance of the suffering of fellow human beings, but it doesn't actually get anything done. The key is to make a difference. Donate blood. Donate money. Donate time. Reach out to your local politicians and make sure that your voice is heard, because make no mistake, as long as laws don't change this is going to keep happening. Doesn't matter whether you think the issue is: do something. Only then can things get better.
Pretty much everything Jordan said in this post. I don't do "thoughts and prayers" because that's not going to do anything. That isn't going to bring the deceased back to life, that's not going to undo the tragedy. It means very little, and if you really are saying that, then ask God "why did you let this happen?" After so many times, you start to lose faith and, therefore, "thoughts and prayers" become meaningless.

I want to make a difference by donating my blood and money if I were healthy enough and had the sufficient funds, but I don't. All I can do is raise awareness against gun violence, petition to local politicians, making sure there's a better, clearer understanding of mental illnesses vs terrorism. One person may seem microscopic in a world of seven billion people, but the more you try, the more your fight can be heard.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 4th 2017, 08:55 PM

I have no problem with normal people keeping the victims in their thoughts and prayers, but when politicians say it, that's the full extent of their action. They have the power and responsibility to actually do something, but they never do. It's just a dodge. They say that, and they also throw out phrases like, "It's insensitive/disrespectful to talk about this issue right now", or "don't politicize these peoples' deaths". Politicizing peoples' deaths to do something to prevent future deaths is their job. I don't vote for people so they can sit on their asses and do nothing after a national tragedy.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 5th 2017, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
I have no problem with normal people keeping the victims in their thoughts and prayers, but when politicians say it, that's the full extent of their action. They have the power and responsibility to actually do something, but they never do. It's just a dodge. They say that, and they also throw out phrases like, "It's insensitive/disrespectful to talk about this issue right now", or "don't politicize these peoples' deaths". Politicizing peoples' deaths to do something to prevent future deaths is their job. I don't vote for people so they can sit on their asses and do nothing after a national tragedy.
I agree with this. I also think that for some people who were there, the 'thoughts and prayers' sentiments will help because they have a belief in God. I know that when my cousin experienced a personal tragedy his belief in God and being surrounded by others who had a belief actually helped it. It didn't make him better or anything but it just...made him feel better.

I, personally, do not believe in it but I understand the sentiment and I do understand that some people who have been there will appreciate it while others will not.

Also, my state is really close to Nevada (I think my City might be even closer) and we have been told to call about donating blood because only a certain blood type is needed (O Negative). The reason is because that is the blood that will be needed most and will be gone through quickly. They aren't running low on the more common blood types (O Positive) and if too many people donate for Las Vegas then they will end up wasting the blood.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 5th 2017, 04:35 AM

I’m so sick of this. These attacks serve no purpose and innocent people are being injured and dying.

I’ve laid off replying to this thread right away because this hit so close to home for me because I know people affected and it’s been a heck of a week so far. My mum has a friend who was injured but is stable and still in the hospital today and our neighbour was there as well but not injured. My mum knows people who know people who were injured. It’s scary. This attack also hit so close to my home. One of my immediate family members and her boyfriend were at the festival. I was at a different concert with my family and he called my mum panicked because he lost her in the crowds. The time where we didn’t know if she was hurt or even alive was one of the scariest moments in my life. She was thankfully not injured but she lost her phone and took shelter and called us and him off of a strangers phone. She’s freaked out but she knows that she was lucky. We are thankful that she is home safe because so many people don’t have that. People in Vegas afterwards were so kind and made sure that she was reunited with her boyfriend and that they made it back to their hotel safely.
There is good in this world, so much of it and I hate that it makes the news because of these horrific attacks. As much as we (my family) might be afraid, we personally aren’t letting fear prevent us from going to sporting events or concerts. We have tickets for a concert tomorrow that we’ve been looking forward to and we left it up to my her if she wanted to go or not. She said that she does because even though there are evil people in the world, it shouldn’t prevent me from being scared for going out and having fun and living my life because people loose theirs and everything can change in an instance. Those events are supposed to fun and it’s horrific and so upsetting that evil people try to ruin that.

My family has donated money because we are in the position to and we are lucky and are sending our thoughts and prayers to the victims, their families, and friends. I know that some people don’t believe in prayers but it personally helped us and her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post

Also, my state is really close to Nevada (I think my City might be even closer) and we have been told to call about donating blood because only a certain blood type is needed (O Negative). The reason is because that is the blood that will be needed most and will be gone through quickly. They aren't running low on the more common blood types (O Positive) and if too many people donate for Las Vegas then they will end up wasting the blood.
I think that it’s important for people to regularly donate blood not just in an emergency. I donate whole blood regularly with my blood bank because my blood type is O negative and I have since I have been legally old enough too.

Edit: I don't mean that it's not important to donate in an emergency because it is and it does help and it is important. However, people should be donating regularly. Blood types are also different...for example, my blood bank prefers that people with AB blood donate plasma because that can be used for anyone andfor that is the most in demand. But for those with O neg blood, they ask for whole blood because those are univiersal red blood cell donors. People tend to only donate immediately after a disaster but they don't continue to donate in the weeks or months after when blood is still needed. It is always needed.

I don’t live in the states so I won’t get into the gun legislation debate but there is no reason that bump stocks should be legal or even available.

Last edited by Lexify.; October 5th 2017 at 05:33 AM.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 5th 2017, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smultrostšlle. View Post
Iím so sick of this. These attacks serve no purpose and innocent people are being injured and dying.

Iíve laid off replying to this thread right away because this hit so close to home for me because I know people affected and itís been a heck of a week so far. My mum has a friend who was injured but is stable and still in the hospital today and our neighbour was there as well but not injured. My mum knows people who know people who were injured. Itís scary. This attack also hit so close to my home. My sister and her boyfriend were at the festival. I was at a different concert with my family and he called my mum panicked because he lost her in the crowds. The time where we didnít know if she was hurt or even alive was one of the scariest moments in my life. She was thankfully not injured but she lost her phone and took shelter and called us and him off of a strangers phone. Sheís freaked out but she knows that she was lucky. We are thankful that she is home safe because so many people donít have that. People in Vegas afterwards were so kind and made sure that she was reunited with her boyfriend and that they made it back to their hotel safely.
There is good in this world, so much of it and I hate that it makes the news because of these horrific attacks. As much as we (my family) might be afraid, we personally arenít letting fear prevent us from going to sporting events or concerts. We have tickets for a concert tomorrow that weíve been looking forward to and we left it up to my sister if she wanted to go or not. She said that she does because even though there are evil people in the world, it shouldnít prevent me from being scared for going out and having fun and living my life because people loose theirs and everything can change in an instance. Those events are supposed to fun and itís horrific and so upsetting that evil people try to ruin that.

My family has donated money because we are in the position to and we are lucky and are sending our thoughts and prayers to the victims, their families, and friends. I know that some people donít believe in prayers but it personally helped us and her.

I think that itís important for people to regularly donate blood not just in an emergency. I donate whole blood regularly with my blood bank because my blood type is O negative and I have since I have been legally old enough too.

I donít live in the states so I wonít get into the gun legislation debate but there is no reason that bump stocks should be legal or even available.
It is important to regularly donate blood and I used to donate platelets every two weeks. However, in an emergency situation blood banks might have their needs met for certain blood types but not others and they will request that people with the blood types they need to come in over those whose blood type they don't currently need. Sometimes they ask that so that they can get the blood they need and spend most their time gathering it.

So, currently, the blood banks might not be looking for a specific blood type... Doesn't necessarily mean they won't take it per se.... But in all likelihood it's been said that sometimes it's actually better to donate weeks/months after a 'disaster' to replenish the supplies that get used up etc.

And, people definitely shouldn't just donate in an emergency. It definitely helps though. Also, people looking into donation should also consider donating platelets/plasma.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Hanna Banana Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Hanna

Re: The Las Vegas shooting. - October 10th 2017, 02:30 AM

All I can say about this is this sort of thing is happening way too much and it is scary as hell. It is getting to the point that people are afraid to attend things like this. I am one who get a lot of stress relief from Music Festivals and with this sort of stuff regularly going on at these things and events I have to rethink if it is actually worth it to go because it brings me stress just thinking about going. It is horrible to see these families of the victims and what they have to go through. Not only the ones that have to bury there loved ones, but the ones that have to figure out how they will pay for the care that is needed for some of the ones that were injured. It is just awful.

"Every challenge is an opportunity to prove to the world that you are, Extraordinary."~ Lzzy Hale of Halestorm

Closed Thread