TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lostinalibro Offline
LGBTQIA family and Ally
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jen

Mass Shootings and terror attacks :( - April 3rd 2018, 01:59 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

This really isn't a debate post. More of a fear post. I'm from the south suburbs of Chicago and it's recently been dubbed "The Murder Capital of America" I don't really go out at night, and I avoid the city as much as possible. I grew up closed to the city. Gangs used to fight in my front yard because it was the biggest on the block. We had a hammer thrown threw our window while I was sitting on the couch. I have heard about the Mass shootings in Las Vegas, the one at the Arians Grande concert that was ruled a terror attack, the one in the movie theater, the one in the train station, the schools. It breaks my heart that people die from just trying to live their lives. I mean, the concert for example, there were children there just seeing their idol. People went home without their children. I know that it can't stop me or anyone from living their life to the fullest and all that but still it sucks. Idk just thought i would share. I agree with the kids at the school in Florida though, from the coverage i watched they had reported the shooter multiple times that he needed help and no one did anything enough to help. It shouldn't have to come to that for someone to reach out.

Peace, Love, and Equality,

Jen

Last edited by MsNobleEleanor; April 3rd 2018 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Adding a triggering prefix

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Mass Shootings and terror attacks :( - April 3rd 2018, 06:55 AM

I totally agree. But honestly... stay sad, stay alarmed, and stay vigilant, especially in your neighborhood- without living your life in fear, of course. Things will never change if we stay complacent. And honestly, it can be easy to get complacent about killings. I come from the previous Murder Capital of America (Flint, MI) and while I often didn't see shit like the stuff you're seeing, we still had a lot of awful things going on. Hell, an 88 year old woman got raped in my neighborhood. And yet, I just stopped being concerned about the danger. I would take my jogs at 2 AM without any concern for my safety, and it was because I became completely unconcerned about my safety in the middle of a hellhole. That's one take: you shouldn't lose your sense of urgency when it comes to basic survival. On the other hand, this country desperately needs to change when it comes to gun policy. I always hear from conservatives (I 100% don't mind if this becomes a debate, my apologies anyway) that if you have more good guys with guns, they'll more than balance out the bad guys with guns. That is in no way true. If that WERE true, the United States would be the safest country in the world by a mile and a half. We have enough guns to give a gun to every person in the country. In terms of gun deaths, we have the most in the developed world by a long shot. If more guns meant more safety, the United States wouldn't have to deal with these tragedies.
We live in a rotting country, and we should never be complacent with it.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Mass Shootings and terror attacks :( - April 3rd 2018, 08:36 AM

Hello Jen,

I understand that seeing shootings and murders around the world and also in your region can be hard to cope with. I am sure you wonder about your safety, just like everyone else. How you are feeling is common with many others.

If hearing about major crimes upsets you a lot, sometimes not reading the news can be helpful. I personally would want to be aware of news within my area, but it can cause upsets.

Do you know about personal alarms? You can buy them in stores and what it is, is a little alarm. There is a piece attached to the inside and when you pull it it makes a really loud noise. To stop the noise that little peice needs to go back in. This is a way to call for help if you are unable to and you would throw it.

If you are concerned about your area you can always call your local police station to ask about ways to keep safe, they can be helpful. Do you know if you have neighbourhood watches? It's where residents keep an eye out for suspicious activity and reports it. It's another way to keep communities safer.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ikigai Offline
la razůn de vivir en japonťs
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sue

Re: Mass Shootings and terror attacks :( - April 3rd 2018, 12:02 PM

I live in Europe, where shootings are rare, but there are terror attacks. I love travelling and terrorism doesn't stop me from visiting major European cities (and other continents as well). It doesn't mean I'm not afraid - I am. I just decided that I don't want to stay home all the time because of some madmen. That's what terrorists are - madmen. I know it's a hot topic right now in the US and there are probably supporters of both sides here, but I'm just about to say it anyway - guns are the very cause of such an enormous percentage of violence in the US.
But yeah, politics aside - no matter where you're from. Be it Iran, Germany, South Africa or Mexico. No matter your skin colour, your gender, sexual orientation, political views. We're together as people who want to live their lives and share their love. You will find friends everywhere, in every corner of the world, and that's amazing, because there are times when we're all above any kind of divisions.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Lostinalibro Offline
LGBTQIA family and Ally
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jen

Re: Mass Shootings and terror attacks :( - April 3rd 2018, 05:33 PM

The device you mentioned reminded me of this Safetrek app. You hold the button on your screen until your safe and it will alert the people you choose or the police if you don't check in

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; April 3rd 2018 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Please do not post links that lead users offsite.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Mass Shootings and terror attacks :( - April 3rd 2018, 08:29 PM

I live in a relatively safe part of a dangerous city. Shootings and gang wars are not uncommon. With what is going on I always worry about my boyfriend being at school and I also worry about family members who work and are higher management. I hear horror stories about people getting mad at their box and then doing something which causes me fear.

I just try to continue living my life. It's scary but I can't allow myself to live in so much fear. I struggle with anxiety so it is hard but I feel that if I focus too much on the 'what if's' I'd never get much done.

I do know after one incident my dad and his partner went to a concert the same week and I was really scared for my dad. It's scary because we do have to keep living our lives but we also have to deal with the fear that something could happen.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Mass Shootings and terror attacks :( - April 3rd 2018, 09:33 PM

Hey there. I totally get it. Reading news can be depressing and even scary at times but itís possible to ignore the news.

Iím not American but where I live (not my neighbourhood but my city) has some murders due to various gang issues (good riddance to the gang bangers in my opinion). Itís when the innocent people are caught in the crossfire that it is horrid. Innocent people shouldnít be killed, period.

A member of my direct family was at the Las Vegas concert when the attack happened. She was freaked out but thankfully wasn't injured. Itís so wrong that these things happened when innocent people were having fun and loving their lives. I know that Iíve come to the conclusion that Iím not going to live my life in fear of being a victim in these cowardly attacks. I know that I am extrťmale lucky to be able to go to concerts and have recently travelled to Los Angeles to see my favourite artist in concert. Iím not going to allow fear to ruin what makes me happy which is concerts and travelling. If anything, Iím more vigilant and keep my eyes peeled but I donít let fear hold me back.

Since people have mentioned gun control in their comments, my opinion is as follows. People who want to harm others will do so whether they have a gun or not. My sisterís friend was killed in a school by someone who thankfully did not have a gun because the death toll could of been so much higher. However, this individual who did this still managed to injure and kill people, innocent people without a gun. If people really want to injury or murder someone, they will find a way to do so with or without a gun. So, I donít think guns are necessarily the whole problem. Iím not American but I believe in gun control. *Iím not saying that people shouldnít have guns because I believe they should have the right. However, I think that in the states they need more gun control in the way that there needs to be mandatory psychological examinations before individuals are able to buy a gun as well as taking a course in gun safety and in depth background checks.

Gun laws should protect the law abiding and innocent and discourage any criminal activity. Where I live, we need a license to own a gun and in order to own a non-restricted gun, we have to undergo a series of gun safety tests and there are more tests involved with owning a "restricted" or "prohibited" gun. Individuals where I live, have to pass background tests that go back five years and looks at mental illnesses that are associated with violence or any threats of violence, criminal and domestic violence and addiction records. After an individual passed and has their licence, they undergo daily criminal record checks. Gang members who have weapons do not get them the legal way. There are so many law abiding individuals who own guns that would never use their gun against an innocent person and that follow the rules regarding storage and transportation.

People shouldnít have to be scared to go to school, to go to concerts, travel or go out in public places at night if they live in a dangerous (ie high numbers of gangs) place and itís so wrong that people have to be. People need to be united and the use of violence in the name of religion or hatred needs to stop.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread