TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Butterfly. Offline
spread my wings and fly
Not a n00b

Name: Jen

Artificial Intelligence: Are They Dangerous? - June 10th 2019, 09:59 AM

Well hello, my friends! This is something I feel very strongly about, and I consider myself an old soul in this aspect. Let's start off with the question and article first!

Is Artificial Intelligence Dangerous?

Personally, my opinion is YES! Yes, Artificial Intelligence is dangerous, and the article linked above give some very good points as to why; all of which I agree with.

The biggest thing I agree with is the first point mentioned in the article: Autonomous Weapons! Imagine if North Korea, Russia, or Iran developed or got their hands on such technology? I was also thinking, before reading the article, that we could deploy AI off into a war zone for whatever future conflict there might be, and it starts shooting or blowing up our allies or innocent bystanders who are not standing in the line of fire.

It's very hard to circumvent AI, and I've tried this with my phone. We rely so much on technology, all these gadgets, that us old enough to have been alive before their huge presence can't even remember those days and it's not all because we are just too young to have remembered. I can't remember what I did before technology. Up until I was four or five years old, I would probably be outside playing. When I turned six or seven, my whole world turned to the computer; and the World Wide Web became prominent shortly afterwards.

So, enough rambling! What are your thoughts on AI?

Articles Writer.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Artificial Intelligence: Are They Dangerous? - June 10th 2019, 04:22 PM

I think AI definitely has the potential to be dangerous. Double edged sword in that it could probably do some truly amazing things but also has the huge risk of being dangerous too. Especially when we rely on technology so much these days!

An unrealistic example, would be HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Even though that was written in the 1960s, it clearly illustrates how depending too much on ever increasingly intelligent technology can actually be a risk to life.

On a general basis, it's scary how quickly computer systems all over the world can be affected by viruses (2017 WannaCry attack) and that can wreak havoc. Can't imagine how much worse it would be with AI!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Artificial Intelligence: Are They Dangerous? - June 11th 2019, 08:20 AM

I think AI can cause phenomenal damage to human society. That's of course how we use it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Butterfly. Offline
spread my wings and fly
Not a n00b

Name: Jen

Re: Artificial Intelligence: Are They Dangerous? - June 11th 2019, 12:26 PM

It does and it is so unfortunate very few people are willing to see how badly AI can be damaging to society. With the autonomus weapons and how AI implimented in our phone that tries to figure out exactly who we are will, in my opinion, be the downfall of humanity. Our social life will be what AI defines and sets for us, we are out of control of our fate. It will be in control of a piece of powerful technology that doesn't know empathy.

It's scary. Reminds me of those paranoia movies from the 1950s and 1960s. I'm surprised nobody is doing it for the AI invasion.

Articles Writer.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Artificial Intelligence: Are They Dangerous? - June 13th 2019, 12:54 AM

Whenever people talk about AI I think about the terminator movies. Seriously, it's a fear I have and I don't think it's too irrational.

My Fiance and I have had discussions about AI and we both agree it could be dangerous. There's probably a lot of good that could come from it but I am not sure the good outweighs the potential bad that might exist.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Recommencer Offline
Articles Writer
Average Joe

Name: Kylie

Re: Artificial Intelligence: Are They Dangerous? - June 13th 2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
My Fiance and I have had discussions about AI and we both agree it could be dangerous. There's probably a lot of good that could come from it but I am not sure the good outweighs the potential bad that might exist.
I agree with this. Honestly, I think AI is a stone better left unturned and I wish we had never gone down this path. I don't doubt that good could come from it, but the real question is how to regulate it and prevent it from being misused.

Of course, you could argue that if we don't work to develop this technology, someone else (possibly with more sinister intentions) will, so it's better to be prepared. For this reason I guess I wouldn't suggest abandoning it completely, and now that the cat's out of the bag, I don't think we can put it back anyway. But I do think we need to find a way to regulate it to keep it in check; I'm just not sure how.

~Kylie