TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#401 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - November 24th 2021, 10:48 PM

I'm not sure what it was here, it might have been six months.

But until Friday, it was 65+ and those at high-risk who qualified.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1373440 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#402 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,623, Level: 42 Points: 88,623, Level: 42 Points: 88,623, Level: 42

Re: Corona Virus. - November 25th 2021, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivière View Post
I haven't had it. Though some of my clients who work for the NHS have.
I haven't had mine either.

(#403 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: Corona Virus. - November 25th 2021, 08:37 PM

Wish that we had given spare vaccines to poorer countries now with the latest variant being possibly the worst one originating from South Africa. I don't believe that we really needed to vaccinate under 16s....we could've donated those vaccines to poorer countries instead. Don't we realise that if we don't help the poorer countries that it will likely cause problems further on down the line?

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#404 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59

Re: Corona Virus. - November 25th 2021, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Wish that we had given spare vaccines to poorer countries now with the latest variant being possibly the worst one originating from South Africa. I don't believe that we really needed to vaccinate under 16s....we could've donated those vaccines to poorer countries instead. Don't we realise that if we don't help the poorer countries that it will likely cause problems further on down the line?
I think that under 16s are okay to vaccinate. They're germ factories, and they can protect the adults that don't get vaccinated (Even though there's a WHOOOLE 'nother set of opinions I can give on that), or help protect against some of the breakthroughs. I don't think herd immunity will ever happen, but they'll help reduce cases. We do see cases in classrooms, and we do have to quarantine parts, if not all, of classrooms, school buses, sports teams. It can get hectic and confusing, and it's not fair to the kids to have to be out of school for ten days, or even longer in the case of repeated exposures, when a vaccine can keep the kids in school.

There has been more of a debate with the booster shots. While waning immunity definitely is a thing and is a valid argument in favor of booster shots, it can also be argued that these vaccines could be a shot in the arm for someone in a developing country. Of course, wealthier countries like the US tend to come first, unfortunately. This is how we get more variants spreading.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#405 (permalink)) Old
Astro04 Offline
Community Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Luca

Points: 4,913, Level: 10 Points: 4,913, Level: 10 Points: 4,913, Level: 10

Re: Corona Virus. - November 26th 2021, 08:49 AM

Honestly I think there's still much people that won't get vaccinated, but also kids!? "They won't be vaccinated because the covid won't attack them" WHAT??? I didn't know they're immune to it. Nono, honestly they're actually walking germ factories.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#406 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Re: Corona Virus. - November 26th 2021, 03:10 PM

I hear that in New York, kids are forced to eat outside "for social distancing" despite temperatures dropping to the 40s.....

Fucking insane and sad. Literally no reason for this. The world has re-opened, social distancing should be over.
  (#407 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Corona Virus. - November 26th 2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheek! View Post

I think that under 16s are okay to vaccinate. They're germ factories, and they can protect the adults that don't get vaccinated (Even though there's a WHOOOLE 'nother set of opinions I can give on that), or help protect against some of the breakthroughs. I don't think herd immunity will ever happen, but they'll help reduce cases. We do see cases in classrooms, and we do have to quarantine parts, if not all, of classrooms, school buses, sports teams. It can get hectic and confusing, and it's not fair to the kids to have to be out of school for ten days, or even longer in the case of repeated exposures, when a vaccine can keep the kids in school.

There has been more of a debate with the booster shots. While waning immunity definitely is a thing and is a valid argument in favor of booster shots, it can also be argued that these vaccines could be a shot in the arm for someone in a developing country. Of course, wealthier countries like the US tend to come first, unfortunately. This is how we get more variants spreading.
Dr. Dez: I don't think germ factory is a scientific term. Kids catch more colds due to less acquired immunity to them, but that has nothing to do with covid. The actual science says that kids have a lower chance of getting COVID and when they DO get it they are less likely to be symptomatic. Science also shows that symptomatic people are more likely to spread infection. So kids are safer than an adult in terms of an adult catching it.
  (#408 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - November 26th 2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
Dr. Dez: I don't think germ factory is a scientific term. Kids catch more colds due to less acquired immunity to them, but that has nothing to do with covid. The actual science says that kids have a lower chance of getting COVID and when they DO get it they are less likely to be symptomatic. Science also shows that symptomatic people are more likely to spread infection. So kids are safer than an adult in terms of an adult catching it.

Ummm... Dez has a lot more knowledge about Covid than the majority of us. Her knowledge isn't Google University. I definitely trust her more than the majority of people. Her knowledge comes from experience and, from my understanding, interaction with local public health officials in her area.
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#409 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Corona Virus. - November 26th 2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
Ummm... Dez has a lot more knowledge about Covid than the majority of us. Her knowledge isn't Google University. I definitely trust her more than the majority of people. Her knowledge comes from experience and, from my understanding, interaction with local public health officials in her area.
My knowledge comes from reading scientific journals. I find them through Google, but then again I also used Google while finding research relevant to my degree. As long as the sources are credible, it is valid research. Are you suggesting that when it comes to health, we ignore our own logic and blindly follow those who have chosen to work in a health related field? Plenty of nurses are idiots about medicine/the body and have to wikipedia every drug a patient is on. I simply dont care about someones credentials, only the soundness of their arguments.

I have more than enough knowledge of covid stats to form my own opinion. I dont need to hear any more “experts” telling me when where I can work and in what capacity.

At the end of the day, its not really about science, but politics. All these measures to control the pandemic come at the cost of freedom and livelihood. A large fraction of the population is simply ok with the risks associated with the virus as long as it means they get to keep their job and their freedom. You can tell them about covid all day long and they still wont feel the need to live in a bubble over a virus that has a 99 percent survival rate (likely even higher in 2022 with the antiviral pills, widespread vaccination, and monoclonal antibody treatments). Medical experts often push only the medical side since that is the only side they are exposed to and covid certainly hasnt hurt their paycheck.Thats relevant because many people are starting to be more afraid of the longterm consequences of mandates and restrictions than of the virus itself.
  (#410 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - November 26th 2021, 09:44 PM

I wasn't going to say anything, but comparing yourself simply reading Google search results at home, even from the scholarly articles section, is nothing compared to a contract tracer who works day in and day out with the virus and its victims. To think you know more is pure hubris, and I am going to absolutely call you on it.

Out of all you said above, you are mostly right on one point: the virus was politicized, and it never should have been. I know you work in an industry that suffered because of the virus. I know your livelihood was, and might still be, at stake, and I am very sorry that you have that experience. It must be scary and I can see why it would make you angry, and shape your views the way it has. But that doesn't mean that you need to invalidate something that is most definitely a problem. People have gone round and round with you on this and I'm not going to, because your mind is set, I don't do internet arguments, and I don't see the point in using my time that way. You believe what you want to believe. But I will say that the irony is you don't seem to see your "side" was politicized just as much as the other "side," and you've bought into it. I see your posts and it makes me constantly sad that you either don't see or don't want to see that you've been duped while thinking you have it all figured out. I hope, some day, you'll maybe see that. But in the meantime, don't call people inept at their profession without knowing anything about them as people or, in reality, what you're talking about in comparison to the scope of information they have available in their career path. I don't say this to fight their battles for them, because they are capable of saying something if they'd like, but TeenHelp is meant to be a respectful place. This is current events and debates, and while you can disagree on those topics, you shouldn't insult a person's direct intelligence, especially with belittling names and even more especially when their job itself is directly related to the topic at hand.
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#411 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,623, Level: 42 Points: 88,623, Level: 42 Points: 88,623, Level: 42

Re: Corona Virus. - November 27th 2021, 12:28 AM

Just a reminder that this thread is for constructive debating, not for insults.

Closed Thread