TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Obama Date Night Draws GOP Fire - June 1st 2009, 03:07 PM

link

President Barack Obama made good on a campaign promise to his most important supporter Saturday night ó his wife, Michelle.
The president and first lady jetted to a date in New York late Saturday afternoon, aides and media in tow.

"I am taking my wife to New York City because I promised her during the campaign that I would take her to a Broadway show after it was all finished," the president said in a statement an aide read to the press.
After dining a little more than two hours at Blue Hill, a West Village restaurant touted by New York magazine as a "seminal Greenmarket haven" that features food grown by chef and owner Dan Barber on his upstate farm, the president and first lady headed to the Belasco Theater to make it in time for "Joe Turner's Come and Gone."

The play by August Wilson is about black America in the early 1900s, with residents of a boardinghouse recalling their migration from the sharecropping farms of the South to the industrialized North.
As the motorcade left the West Village and drove up Sixth Avenue to the theater, crowds of people, at times about eight deep, gathered on the sidewalks of the blockaded streets to wave as the Obamas passed. Some cheered. Cab drivers opened their doors and stood on the frames of their taxis to glimpse the president and first lady.
The Obamas left the theater after the play and were greeted by more cheers from enthusiastic bystanders along New York streets as they headed back for the flight to Washington.

The White House declined to say how much the trip was costing taxpayers, and even before the smaller jet left Washington, the there-and-back trip drew criticism from the Republican National Committee. The RNC issued a news release that chastised Obama for saying he understands American's troubles, but then hopping up to New York for "a night on the town."
Noting that General Motors is expected to file for Chapter 11 protection on Monday, the news release said: "Putting on a show: Obamas wing into the city for an evening out while another iconic American company prepares for bankruptcy."
In an interview before his inauguration, Barack Obama said he and his wife like having "date nights," usually on Fridays. Since moving to Washington, the Obamas have managed to fit in at least a few nights out in the nation's capital.
While on a trip to New York last week, Michelle Obama was reminded about the couple's first date.
"You know, after 20-some-odd years of knowing a guy, you forget that your first date was at a museum," she said. "But it was, and it was obviously wonderful. It worked."

Before traveling to New York, the Obamas watched daughter Malia's soccer game for an hour Saturday morning.

Does Obama not make enough to cover a night out? How many americans are trying to pay bills and wish they could spend tax payers money on planes and a big expensive dinner?

Discuss...

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Obama Date Night Draws GOP Fire - June 1st 2009, 09:10 PM

What about this?

The president is entitled to a personal life, and the reference that it's being paid by tax payers is a roundabout way of saying that Obama's presidential salary is paying for this. It's not like he's dipping into the Federal budget to take a date in NYC.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Obama Date Night Draws GOP Fire - June 1st 2009, 11:18 PM

I'm pretty sure a couple hundred thousand dollars can pay for a night on the town. He receives a salary to spend like everyone else.

What I want to know is, does he pay rent?

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Obama Date Night Draws GOP Fire - June 1st 2009, 11:55 PM

Lol, Secret service has GOT to suck.

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If Iím alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
Iíll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
delilah Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Obama Date Night Draws GOP Fire - June 4th 2009, 12:29 PM

haha what the hell! he earns a salary and yeah it probably is a lot - but he had to work hard for it, and he has to work hard at it every day! It's not as though he is dipping into money that wouldve funded public schools and hospitals..it's his income!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Obama Date Night Draws GOP Fire - June 5th 2009, 04:18 AM

But the president doesn't need a 5 star dinner out of tax payers money.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Obama Date Night Draws GOP Fire - June 5th 2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
It's a salary. Why doesn't he have the right to spend the money he earns in the same way any other government employee does?

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Obama Date Night Draws GOP Fire - June 5th 2009, 05:21 AM

Teachers get paid off tax-payers money if they work at a private school. So like... should they not be able to have personal lives either?

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
kimvia Offline
is asleep
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kim

Re: Obama Date Night Draws GOP Fire - June 5th 2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
Teachers, who also work for the government, are paid with taxpayer's money... are teachers only supposed to feed their family boxed mac n cheese and play Yatzee at home to entertain them selves?

an on another note, regardless of weather or not you think he's doing a good job, you have to admit that everyone needs a break once in a while to perform their best on the job. I can't think of a more difficult job than being president of a country, he, of all people, need time to have fun with his family.

the GOP is just looking for something to pick on Obama about.

PM me any time, ok? I'm always here to help.

What's the second amendment for?
Just in case the government takes away the first.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Hi_ImJordan Offline
Average Joe

Re: Obama Date Night Draws GOP Fire - June 5th 2009, 07:03 PM

We all know that the guy was loaded even before becoming president. I think he should use his own, pre-existing fortune to pay for nights on the town with his wife.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Obama Date Night Draws GOP Fire - June 6th 2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_ImJordan View Post
We all know that the guy was loaded even before becoming president. I think he should use his own, pre-existing fortune to pay for nights on the town with his wife.
Exactly He has the money before becoming president.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Obama Date Night Draws GOP Fire - June 6th 2009, 05:01 AM

And how do you determine which dollars in his bank account came from his previous fortune, and which dollars came from his current salary as president?

When you earn a salary, you have a right to spend the money you've worked for. It doesn't matter if you're the president or a pizza deliverer.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Elf Offline
flying and skying
Not a n00b

Name: Anne

Re: Obama Date Night Draws GOP Fire - June 6th 2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
And how do you determine which dollars in his bank account came from his previous fortune, and which dollars came from his current salary as president?

When you earn a salary, you have a right to spend the money you've worked for. It doesn't matter if you're the president or a pizza deliverer.
Amen. I really, really do not see what the problem is here. He's using his salary to pay for this, just like other people all over the country use their salaries for recreational activities. My mom takes our family to the beach everywhere, and she doesn't use her company funds, she uses the money that she's earned. There is absolutely no problem with that, I think that people who are getting mad are just being stupid.

be thankful for what you have
and you'll end up having more.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Obama Date Night Draws GOP Fire - June 7th 2009, 04:35 AM

My mom randomly brought this up today. She said the thing people were having trouble with was not the money, but the fact he took Air Force 1 or whatever it's called.

Obama did state then later that he would have flown commercial if first, he was allowed to, and second, it wouldn't have put he and his wife's life at great danger.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Obama Date Night Draws GOP Fire - June 7th 2009, 06:00 AM

Obama can do whatever he wants with his money. If his salary is too high, point fingers at the Congress, they choose it. But the president salary is not too high at all, I would actually say it's too low.

Not surprised though, GOP always like to portray democrat politicians as elitists.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#16 (permalink)) Old
ATP787 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Obama Date Night Draws GOP Fire - June 10th 2009, 03:10 AM

The GOP is beginning to look increasingly desperate...they're running out of ideas to blame on Obama.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Obama Date Night Draws GOP Fire - June 20th 2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopOfTheWorld View Post
The GOP is beginning to look increasingly desperate...they're running out of ideas to blame on Obama.
People are too Ignorant to realize how much the trip can cost.

Do you know what plane Obama rides in???

HE rides in a freakin 747(air force 1). Do you know how much it cost???

If you ride one it will probaly cost atleast 800 dollars per person a plane.

But what if there is no passengers?

500,000? maybe thats my conservative guess. Plus his super limo, and possibly a small army of secerte service.

All on tax payers dollars. Opera tickets are cheap? 400 bucks at most??? all on his own money(hard to say though but immaterial)

But on the other hand the plane ride. PLUS the Secerete Service blocking NYC traffic. What is the economic loss caused by this too the tax payers and the NYC??

I remember when Bush came to my safe country Canada! they blocked so many streets traffic goers were stuck in traffic for 2 hours.

Im sure peoples time is worth alot in NYC the most dense population in the US. hmmm. Does the GOP have apoint u decide.

If wasting 500,000$ of tax payers money on transportation and losing a 250,000-2,000,000 of new yorkers commerical oppurtunities. NYPD's money. oh yea when bush came to my country the news paper was mad that his trip cost my cities police department 105k for security and obama is a bigger target and new york is larger than my city. New york city population is about 10+ million my city is 300,000...

Don't forget, Obama's whitehouse have a bowling alley, a huge garden, world class chiefs, huge theater room, sports rooms and ect... And there is alot of celebrities that would be willing to entertain the president and his faimily for free. Also there is alot of world class eateries in Washington DC....

All this goes to the goverments bill. excluding the up 400 dollar opera tickets. and the already broke New york state will have to pay for all this. Nice obama really nice u selfish pig with lipstick

Closed Thread