TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

View Poll Results: Canada's Shame — Do you know about it?
Yes, it's awful! 6 100.00%
No, what's happening? 0 0%
Voters: 6. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Canada's Shame. - July 2nd 2021, 08:41 PM

How many users on here know about Canada's shame and the refusal to celebrate Canada Day yesterday, July 1st?

Read the article from Reuters here.

With recent discovery of nearly one thousand unmarked graves a state schools for indigenous children dating from the mid 1900s,
Trudeau and other officials decided that Canada Day will be muted in place of reflection and remembrance.

I knew about the unmarked graves being discovered a month ago in British Columbia but had no idea that this is something that Canada struggles with. As an American, I thought we were the only country with major historical shame; but that's not true at all.

Every country has its skeleton in the closet, snakes in the can, baggage in the bin.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Ennui.; July 2nd 2021 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Helping out with an issue
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1368578 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,973, Level: 42 Points: 88,973, Level: 42 Points: 88,973, Level: 42

Re: Canada's Shame. - July 3rd 2021, 06:13 AM

I have heard about this story and it's simply heartbreaking.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Canada's Shame. - July 3rd 2021, 06:23 AM

I've known about these schools for years and just last year I read a book that briefly touched on them. Many people have known for years about the indigenous children who disappeared. Governments (US and Canadian) tried to lie or ignore the issue.

I think it's great that it's finally come to light and I hope that USA will follow suit and unbury all the children. The only way we can work on fixing the wrongs and doing better is acknowledging it and then working to make amend.

Even though this all happened years ago, the reservations both in the US and Canada are atrocious. Terrible living conditions. Many of us take the simple fact of having electricity, heat/AC for granted. I've heard stories about people on reservations living in what amounts to a cardboard box (lack of insulation etc).

I am not proficient in Indigenous history. I do try and stay knowledgeable but there's a lot to learn and it gets confusing.

Hopefully this will lead to real change for indigenous people in Canada but also all over the world. It isn't just the US and Canada. Indigenous people in most countries have been terribly treated and continue to be mistreated
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29

Re: Canada's Shame. - July 4th 2021, 02:43 AM

Canada’s treatment towards Indigenous Peoples both historically and present day is atrocious. That being said, other countries like the US, Australia, and New Zealand also have treated Indigenous Peoples horrifically. I believe that it is important that we continue to educate ourselves and put in the work to gain a better understanding. Personally, I am nowhere near being an expert in Indigenous culture or history because as a colonizer, I am not the expert in their lives and culture nor will I ever know everything. I have been continually working on gaining a better understanding of my role and relationship within society and how I can challenge and confront racism and colonization by gaining an understanding of how colonization continues to impact Indigenous communities. It’s important that I maintain a constant position of curiosity and always be open to learning and gaining a better understanding of the lived experiences and current realities. I actively seek out information via podcasts, documentaries, conversations, reading material, supporting Indigenous businesses/programs, and being aware of the current events. The atrocities within the residential school system is something that was not taught to me during my time at the private religious school I went to and this minimized the suffering and pain that has occurred as a result. We had guest speakers that talked about how residential schools were like summer camp/boarding schools and how the kids who had attended loved it. They talked about how these schools “helped” Indigenous children become civilized and all the “good” they did. This curriculum at the school I went to was only changed in the last 5 years. In the public school system, the curriculum does a better job of teaching this material starting in elementary school which is so important.

That being said, I did not celebrate Canada Day this year or last year because there should be no pride in genocide. I attended a March this year instead and it was an emotional and powerful day. People who woke up on July 1st being proud of this country and wanting to celebrate should also have an understanding of how privileged they are to feel this way and engage in some self-reflection.

I work as a social worker at an Indigenous agency and while there are several areas of change that have occurred, there are many policies that I disagree with. We are guided by legislation and bound by certain acts and tools but there is also space for advocating to my supervisors. The decisions that I make in consultation with my supervisors can and do have devastating effects on the children and families that I work with and it’s important to be aware of the power dynamic. We try to take into consideration the best interests of the child and always start with the least instructive course of action. It’s important to be aware how personal biases or experiences of family values/parenting can influence perspectives on what is “normal” and challenge the belief and desire to compare and measure. The agency I work for takes into account the trauma that has been experienced and works towards healing by fostering cultural connections and resilience to strengthen the family relationship and support reunification.

Systemic racism is so interwoven in every system of this country. The systems that are in place are set up in a way to disadvantage Indigenous Peoples while benefiting the white colonizers. This power dynamic is still in place today and is continually reinforced within society as a whole. Whiteness is dominant and the norm within society and the marginalization of the other occurs as a result of that when members of other groups are defined in how they differ from the norm. Privilege in regards to being part of the dominant group can provide unearned power and opportunities even without the individual being aware of it. This land that we live on is stolen and founded on the genocide of the Indigenous Peoples and generations of harm that has been caused. It’s important that we hold space and acknowledge the truth and take accountability for what happened. There are 94 calls to action from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and many of those have not been addressed. I recommend reading the Calls to Action. 1505 children have been found with only 7 schools being searched and there are still 132 schools that need to be searched (this does not take into account the schools that operated without federal support).

The intergenerational trauma as a result of the harm that the policies and actions of the Canadian government has caused and continues to impact the lives of Indigenous Peoples. Indigenous Peoples are still experiencing the effects of colonization and systemic racism to this day. Several examples of this include the forced sterilization of Indigenous women and girls, birth alerts, over representation in child welfare and criminal justice system, boil-water advisories, MMIWG2S, and living conditions. There are also disparities in health care including mental health. This includes lack of access to quality health care and lack of access in remote communities, and socioeconomic status (social determinants of health). It’s also important to note that structural racism within the policies and practices impacts access to health care and the resulting inequalities. This is only furthered by stigma and stereotypes. The sixties scoop was a series of policies that contributed to Indigenous children being stolen by social workers and adopted to white families in Canada and the States. The sixties scoop was a form of cultural genocide and forced assimilation in addition to the residential school system. They believed that if Indigenous children were removed from their families, it would force them to assimilate into Canadian society and resulted in losing connections to their culture and heritage, families, communities and names. There were also several cases of children being discriminated against, abused or exploited. These are just a few examples of the horrific treatment of Indigenous Peoples by the Canadian government in addition to the residential school system and there are so many more examples. We all have a responsibility to be part of the reconciliation process.
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,864, Level: 34 Points: 57,864, Level: 34 Points: 57,864, Level: 34

Re: Canada's Shame. - July 4th 2021, 12:21 PM

I'm from the UK, but the news of finding the unmarked graves at the residential schools in Canada did make it to our news. I also knew that many decided not to celebrate Canada Day out of respect for those lives taken. I've been following with some interest, though I know next to nothing of Indigenous history. It's such a shame that Indigenous people were, and are, still treated badly and that the children were taken away to be 'assimilated' into Canadian culture. While nowhere near as traumatic as that, it reminds me a little bit of Welsh history, where children were once discouraged from speaking Welsh in schools and forced to speak English instead, by being humiliated and physically punished if they were caught speaking Welsh.

I always hate it and find it so sad when people think they can take over and treat indigenous/native people cruelly and forcing them to change, and justifying it as a way of 'helping'.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
Closed Thread