TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Current Events and Debates (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f38-current-events-debates/)
-   -   Facebook vs TikTok (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f38-current-events-debates/t162758-facebook-vs-tiktok/)

Coffee. March 30th 2022 03:53 PM

Facebook vs TikTok

I don't know why, but I found this story very amusing.

Meta, the owner of Facebook, Instagram and other social media platforms, is reportedly paying a notable Republican consulting firm to create public distrust around TikTok. Some of those "kids are doing dangerous things they learned from TikTok" stories you may have seen in local news over the last year have actually been Facebook trying to create panic around TikTok; in a few instances, the "dangerous trends" actually started on Facebook.
https://www.vobss.com/wp-content/upl...me-vobss-9.jpg

The story was broken by Washington Post here or here's a piece from The Hill.

Thoughts?

Ennui. March 30th 2022 04:08 PM

Re: Facebook vs TikTok

Ah, the internet, gotta love it! The fact that Meta is putting people in danger when the trends start on Facebook, and even their attempt to discredit TikTok, is pretty bad. They're two different platforms with two different goals, just let TikTok be :nosweat:

Astro04 March 30th 2022 05:25 PM

I always said this in this cases: it's not important what you see, it's important why you had to do it. Maybe surprising someone? Hmm....

In any case, that's why I hate that "big" social media. ALL of them.

DeletedAccount81 March 30th 2022 05:49 PM

Facebook is toxic. Period. They're always trying to monopolize the Internet, and it's gotten old. A long time ago. It needs to stop.

I've heard both negative and positive things about TikTok. All I know it's just not for me and I would rather not invest myself in it.

Dawn. March 31st 2022 08:13 AM

I personally don't have TikTok and I try and not use Facebook that often. The only social media I really use is Instagram and even then, what I post is very limited. I have slowly been spending less and less time on social media due to how toxic it can be.

Coffee. March 31st 2022 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheek! (Post 1377703)
Ah, the internet, gotta love it! The fact that Meta is putting people in danger when the trends start on Facebook, and even their attempt to discredit TikTok, is pretty bad. They're two different platforms with two different goals, just let TikTok be :nosweat:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astro04 (Post 1377708)
I always said this in this cases: it's not important what you see, it's important why you had to do it. Maybe surprising someone? Hmm....

In any case, that's why I hate that "big" social media. ALL of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethereal. (Post 1377709)
Facebook is toxic. Period. They're always trying to monopolize the Internet, and it's gotten old. A long time ago. It needs to stop.

I've heard both negative and positive things about TikTok. All I know it's just not for me and I would rather not invest myself in it.

:cheer: Absolutely. What I liked about the Washington Post piece is that it doesn't gloss over concerns regarding TikTok. Tech companies, especially in their current unregulated and misunderstood state, are all super sketchy and there are very legitimate concerns about security.

What's hilarious is a company hiring a private firm to make up stories about a competitor, accusing them of things that you're doing.

DeletedAccount69 March 31st 2022 11:10 PM

Traci I love seeing you randomly pop up!

Haven't heard about this but it's crazy. I don't really like social media Facebook is more my type of social media. I've seen tiktoks but I don't think I have an account. If I do, I don't use it

WhisperingSilence April 3rd 2022 07:40 PM

To be honest, if the kids don't pick up the trends from tiktok or Facebook etc, they will most likely hear about them in the school playground or at clubs etc. I volunteer in a holiday club working with dis-advantaged children aged 4-13, and when squid game first came out suddenly all that the kids within the club spoke about was the red light green light game. Now they hadn't actually watched the tv series themselves, however especially with the younger ones the 4 -8 olds , they had heard of red light green light within their school and had learned how to play the game. the older ones 9+ may have watched it or seen an older brother or sister watching the series - however we did play red light green light with them, but instead of them being shot, they were out.
I think trends are similar, if they don't see them on the internet they will most certainly hear about them within schools or clubs or hear said trend being talked about by older siblings etc, and within a school setting they may see these trends being re-enacted on the school playground.
When I was a child more so elementary /primary school than anything high school, there would be talk on the school playground of trends like 'tazoo's' tokens you got in packet of crisps etc, and Pokemon cards trading game, back then there was no tiktok, Facebook etc, not even internet, yet trends still spread, the only dangerous one I remember as a child was playing chicken. Trends will spread whether children have access to tiktok or not.

Clarent April 4th 2022 08:59 PM

TikTok is absolute cancer, and has zero value as a platform, but Facebook isn't exactly completely clear either so really.

Pots calling kettles.