TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Points: 43,356, Level: 29 Points: 43,356, Level: 29 Points: 43,356, Level: 29

Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - May 3rd 2022, 01:34 AM

Do you agree or disagree with the ruling?

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1378611 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,535, Level: 18 Points: 16,535, Level: 18 Points: 16,535, Level: 18

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - May 3rd 2022, 05:56 PM

Yeah, this was definitely a welcome surprise this year from the political stage. Hope it really goes through
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - May 3rd 2022, 07:05 PM

It’s unfortunate. A person’s right to choose whether or not they carry and birth a child is essential. Without this we will go back to the days of unsafe abortions that cause permanent damage or death. I don’t have any statistics on this but I also can’t help but worry that this will mean cases of abuse or neglect will happen in states that decide to ban abortion.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,519, Level: 46 Points: 106,519, Level: 46 Points: 106,519, Level: 46

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - May 4th 2022, 06:45 AM

(Disclaimer: not American, we just get a fair amount of US news here.)

This is another step on a slippery slope towards full governmental restriction of bodily autonomy. Along with the recent anti-trans legislation it's painting a worrying picture of where things are headed. Like Dez said, this ruling won't stop abortions - it will only stop safe abortions. If it goes ahead it has the potential to be devastating or even deadly for a lot of people.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - May 4th 2022, 09:44 AM

I'm not from the US, but have been shocked to hear the news about what could happen if this goes through. Not only is it removing the choice to have an abortion but banning such things will only drive those needing or wanting abortions to much darker and riskier situations. And I can't even begin to imagine just how many people it will affect.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - May 4th 2022, 11:14 AM

This is definitely an eye opener and has got me thinking.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - May 4th 2022, 10:36 PM

This won't end abortion. It'll just end safe abortion. I had family that got an illegal abortion when she was 14. No mom in her life, father raised her to think all things sex were evil. Long story, but she had no real guidance on top of this happening many years ago. She's lucky the abortion didn't kill her. The person who is pregnant matters more then an unborn fetus yet the politicians and others don't seem to grasp that.

It's a sad time in America. Countries that had abortion bans are moving forward go get rid of the bans and here we are.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,485, Level: 33 Points: 55,485, Level: 33 Points: 55,485, Level: 33

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - May 5th 2022, 12:34 PM

It's rather shocking. I believe politicians have many issues to deal with right now that are much more pressing than restricting basic human rights.

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - May 5th 2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Vellichor:. View Post
This won't end abortion. It'll just end safe abortion. I had family that got an illegal abortion when she was 14. No mom in her life, father raised her to think all things sex were evil. Long story, but she had no real guidance on top of this happening many years ago. She's lucky the abortion didn't kill her. The person who is pregnant matters more then an unborn fetus yet the politicians and others don't seem to grasp that.

It's a sad time in America. Countries that had abortion bans are moving forward go get rid of the bans and here we are.
This doesnt actually ban abortion though. Just that the specific case law behind Roe vs Wade is now possibly going to be ruled as faulty.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - May 5th 2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
This doesnt actually ban abortion though. Just that the specific case law behind Roe vs Wade is now possibly going to be ruled as faulty.
It's a slippery slope though. If Roe v Wade is overturned there are many states waiting to do just that.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - May 5th 2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheek! View Post

It's a slippery slope though. If Roe v Wade is overturned there are many states waiting to do just that.

Is also not just abortion that would be under attack. Gay marriage, IVF... The list goes on... And if people don't think it'll happen they'd be wrong.

What was it Kavanaugh said? Roe V Wade is law and I have no plans to change it. It was something like that. Not surprising that he lied given his history but if they over turn this, what will be next?
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - May 6th 2022, 05:07 AM

Here's an article that outlines what it could mean: https://www.npr.org/2022/05/03/10960...t-happens-next

So, yes it would ban abortion either entirely or within 6-8 weeks (before you even know you're pregnant) in a lot of states

Not only do people without uteruses not have the right to tell a woman what to do with hers, but the ramifications of this could be so horrific. Illegal and unsafe abortions are just the beginning. What about women whose lives are threatened by pregnancy? Or, someone who was the victim of sexual assault and now is forced to carry that child to term? Or a baby with such severe disabilities or birth defects that they may not survive, have poor quality of life, or the costs of all kinds for their care will be too much on their parents? Pro life tends to mean pro-birth. The same people who force babies to be born also harshly criticize the social programs such children and families would rely on to get by and don't see the problem with that.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - May 8th 2022, 12:35 AM

I'd consider myself left of center when it comes to abortion, but I used to be VERY pro-life. That was my whole shtick when I was younger because I was brainwashed by my religious mom and Catholic schools. A lot of my early TH posts on politics are absolutely insane because this was the only issue I cared about. My teachers in middle school and high school basically gave the impression that if Roe v. Wade was reversed, all of society's problems would be solved.

Now the dog has caught the car, and its pretty clear that overturning Roe v. Wade opens a huge can of worms. What does a state do if they ban abortion? I don't know if they ever gave THAT part much thought. I was under the impression that the clinics would be shut down and that would be it (still bad). However, Louisiana currently has a bill that would classify abortion as homicide. A Texas state representative filed a bill last year that would do the same, and in Texas, homicide is punishable with the death penalty. Very pro-life indeed. Some of these people are completely psychotic.

My only issue with Roe v. Wade is that it gives states the right to regulate abortion after the first trimester. I don't think it makes any sense from either side of the issue- if the right to abortion or the rights of a fetus are human rights, then that should not be left up to the states. There should just be one line that says where abortion is or isnt ok, with possible exceptions later on. That's my only issue with Roe v. Wade, but I'd definitely keep it if the alternative is allowing red states to punish women and teenage girls with prison and death.

And buckle up. The language of Alito's ruling leaves the door open to strike down basically any cases that weren't explicitly written into the constitution. This could include anything the conservative justices don't like- gay marriage, public schools, birth control, etc. I dont know if they'll ACTUALLY go that far, but I never thought they'd do this either.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - May 8th 2022, 06:51 PM

There are a lot of posts on Facebook offering to take people in who need an abortion. The posts say things like "If you're from out of state and want to go 'camping,' feel free to stay with me and I'll show you the best campsites." Camping is a code word for abortion in these posts. It's sad that it would have to come to people traveling out of state to access abortions, and this is something that wouldn't be accessible to everybody.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - June 24th 2022, 02:27 PM

So they did it, thoughts?
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - June 24th 2022, 02:48 PM

This is a sad day for America for the reasons that have already been listed in this thread. This won't end abortion, it will just end safe abortion. I'm also afraid of what this will lead to, what they will try to go for next.
We have the highest maternal mortality rate in the developed world. What protections will we have in place for people who are trying to give birth?
What protections will we have for children born into poverty? We all know that the government doesn't want to provide any support to these children once they're born. What about all the children already in the foster care system, or who will be born into abusive environments? It just is a slippery slope.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Points: 43,356, Level: 29 Points: 43,356, Level: 29 Points: 43,356, Level: 29

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - June 24th 2022, 05:09 PM

Didn't think this would happen kinda surprised.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - June 25th 2022, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
Here's an article that outlines what it could mean: https://www.npr.org/2022/05/03/10960...t-happens-next

So, yes it would ban abortion either entirely or within 6-8 weeks (before you even know you're pregnant) in a lot of states

Not only do people without uteruses not have the right to tell a woman what to do with hers, but the ramifications of this could be so horrific. Illegal and unsafe abortions are just the beginning. What about women whose lives are threatened by pregnancy? Or, someone who was the victim of sexual assault and now is forced to carry that child to term? Or a baby with such severe disabilities or birth defects that they may not survive, have poor quality of life, or the costs of all kinds for their care will be too much on their parents? Pro life tends to mean pro-birth. The same people who force babies to be born also harshly criticize the social programs such children and families would rely on to get by and don't see the problem with that.
My original post in this thread still stands, I've blocked my dad on FB because he's more worried about "protests and property damage" and everything being "by design" than his ONLY DAUGHTER'S RIGHTS. I'm legit about to move to either Colorado (protection written into their state laws) or Canada, I'm SO FAR over this country I just can't anymore.

Here's a list of laws by state, some of which date back to the 1800's: https://abcnews.go.com/Health/aborti...ry?id=85390463

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Last edited by Kate*; June 25th 2022 at 03:17 AM.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - June 25th 2022, 04:00 AM

This country is headed toward horrifying authoritarianism. I am not looking forward to the next few years.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade - June 26th 2022, 01:34 PM

Our Republican governor — this is a Blue state — has enforced a safe haven act. It says that those coming from states where abortions will be banned are welcomed to come here to get the procedure done. While I think it's great that my state is so open and welcome; I worry about how this will impact clinics and healthcare workers. We do not have enough room for 30M+ people, when we're already crowded as it is with just 6M people.
Closed Thread