TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 3rd 2009, 08:45 PM

Ok, I know that for most of you non-Irish users this will mean absolutely nothing, but please bear with me because right now my country is in turmoil over this...and the 50, 000 of us taking the Leaving Cert exam are ready to kill some fucker in County Louth.

We started...pretty much the biggest exams of our lives, today. Today went grand, we were all settling in, getting our heads into a nice study-examy-space. English paper 1 was today, and English paper 2 was scheduled for tomorrow.

Until this Louth fucker goes and accidentally hands out, not English paper 1, but English paper 2 to a classroom of students. Meaning they SEE the exam meant for thousands of us across the country to see TOMORROW.
So naturally everyone freaks out, the whole story is obviously spread over the internet and the irish text network within a couple of hours, and according to RTÉ news, tomorrows English exam has been cancelled.

And postponed to ....Saturday morning.

I'm ever-so-slightly freaking out. I've calmed down a bit from earlier and dried my tears (it's ok, I'm crying at Kleenex ads these days) and tried to get my head around this rationally, but I can't.
Every single person in the country was relying on the predictions for the paper. We could all have bet €100 that either Elizabeth Bishop or Derek Walcott would appear in the poety section. And apparently they did...on the original paper. Meaning everyone who was depending on those poets has to go and learn off two or three others before Saturday (and that's a LARGE percentage of the country...including, yes, mise.)
I think I'll be ok foe English, even though I was hoping for an A and it's looking less likely now. But I needed the whole weekend to cram for irish and History...I don't have fucking TIME to go and take a fucking 3.5 hour exam on Satruday morning...which will leave me wrecked as well for the rest of the day because it's writingwritingwriting....

Sorry if i'm not making sense guys, I'm stressed. I can't believe this is happening...it feels surreal. And of course it had to happen to OUR years Leaving Cert *rolls eyes*

Just....if anyone can say ANYTHING to calm me down right now I will bake and post them cookies when this whole exam mess is over. Pleaseeeeeeeeee

(#2 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 3rd 2009, 09:03 PM

I'm really sorry about your examination. It must really suck. I hope you are able to learn what you need to learn. Maybe you'll end up doing better on Saturday. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Did you mean to put this in Current Events and Debates? I don't really see how this is a current event, unless you have an article to go with it.

--A

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 3rd 2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
Did you mean to put this in Current Events and Debates? I don't really see how this is a current event, unless you have an article to go with it.

Oh right, sorry, yes, I did mean to. Here's une link:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0603/exams.html

It feels slightly ridiculous that no one outside Ireland knows what's going on ~ this is so big to us. it's all over the news right now... These exams are pretty much career-deciding, life-affecting, for many people their whole future depends on these two weeks.

Hmm. I feel a bit crap talking about this now when no one will understand, but I feel so cheated. It feels so unfair that this had to happen to us. My positive side is kicking in now and I'm sure we'll all be all right for English, but I'm really freaking out about the weekend now, I really needed that time to study, like seriously. I need a C3 in Irish if i want to be a teacher...

Agh, this is one of those times when you wish for more Irish people on TH...even just for empathy.
Thanks, though, Amanda. xx

Last edited by udontno; June 4th 2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: fixing link

(#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 3rd 2009, 11:27 PM

sorry to hear that happened to you! i hadn't heard about it until i just read your post, but i can see how big of a deal it must be in Ireland. what idiots are those people who gave out the wrong paper though?! gosh.

good luck with the rest of your exams, i'm sure you'll do great regardless, just try not to panic and stay calm :]

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
kimvia Offline
is asleep
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kim

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 4th 2009, 12:18 AM

Gosh, that really really sucks hun... the Advanced Placement tests are pretty big in the states, but its a totally different thing, it basically saves you some time and money at uni if you do really well. so a couple years ago when my boyfriend took his, after taking special cources in high school (it isn't mandatory to take the test) that are extra hard to prepare for the test. at the end of the year, he went and took his test (on his birthday, btw) and felt really good about it. a few months later, other students started getting their grades back. his class had the highest average score, and his class average (not the test score) was one of the highest in that class. he waited.. and waited... and never got his scores... it turned out that they lost them! he could have avoided taking a whole college class and save like $300...
but some schmuck lost it!!!
so i can empathize, even though your situation seems a whole lot more serious!
*HUGS*
and good luck hun

PM me any time, ok? I'm always here to help.

What's the second amendment for?
Just in case the government takes away the first.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 4th 2009, 12:57 AM

As for the cancellation, there's is nothing worse than having that term of nervousness and anxiety prolonged because of something so stupid. I remember a couple of years ago, the day before my big physics examination, some idiot thought it would be cool to steal one of the copies of the test. So everyone freaked out, and the higher ups, who ever they are, decided to postpone the test for a friggin week to do... something. I don't think we even took the damn test, I think our averages for each quarter were added and given.

But anyway, here's to a successful test on Saturday!

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Last edited by udontno; June 4th 2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Removing quote of deleted post
  Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 4th 2009, 04:14 AM

I actually know what your talking about, although I didn't know of this until I saw your post. That sucks, who's dumb enough to give out the wrong tests? You'll do fine, calm down alright? Just keep studying, and maybe start studying for Irish if you can.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 4th 2009, 04:17 AM

I remember there being problems like that in IB too sometimes - some idiot teacher will give out all the exams, and suddenly students world wide are screwed. It's a horrible situation - I hope it all gets straightened out for you guys.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#9 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 4th 2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
I remember there being problems like that in IB too sometimes - some idiot teacher will give out all the exams, and suddenly students world wide are screwed. It's a horrible situation - I hope it all gets straightened out for you guys.
It was more along the lines of the teachers never exactly knew what was going to be on the IB exam, so we received a crack course in the entire 20th century in 9 months, and there was ALWAYS a dozen or so crucial things we missed.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 4th 2009, 01:52 PM

Thanks guys. Things are looking a bit better ~ we still have a fair idea of what's coming up, so it's really just the lost study time which is pissing me off. But sure the whole country's in the same boat, so I can't complain too much.

By the way...what's IB?¿

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 4th 2009, 02:19 PM

I'm not trying to be mean, but I can't click the link for some reason, can you fix that or something?

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#12 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: EV

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 4th 2009, 02:27 PM

That REALLY sucks! My sister is taking her Junior Cert next year. I just hope this doesn't happen to her...
I hope your exams go well. Good luck!

--EV--
Congrats Canada's Juniors! 5 in a row!
Last Sunday morning, the sunshine felt like rain.
Week before, they all seemed the same.
And oh, I ain't wastin' time no more
Cause time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things.
--The Allman Brothers Band

Things seem impossible until you start to do them.

PM me anytime. I love to talk. :]

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: J

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 4th 2009, 02:29 PM

I'm in the same boat as you Bitesize- and I needed sat morn to study for maths paper 2 because I'm really crap at it

empathy empathy empathy empathy..... thats what you said you wanted lol

We just have to struggle through it And i agree with you- sat is now a total write off for me because I'm going to be knackered

Mrs Doyle: What would you say to a cup father?
[offers him a cup of tea]
Father Jack Hackett: FECK OFF, CUP!
Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These,[points to some plastic cows on the table], are very small; those
[points at some cows out the window], are far away...
Gotta Luv Father Ted

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
LadiesLlama Offline
|Bring On The Rain|
Average Joe

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 4th 2009, 02:35 PM

And, bitesize, do take the exam slowly. I can't promise anything, but I feel as though if you decide to take it slow, think it through? You'll come out feeling better. Good luck.

||I knew when I looked in his eyes ||
||That he was gonna be
trouble for me ||

PM||VM

Last edited by udontno; June 4th 2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: removing quoted deleted post

(#15 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 4th 2009, 03:18 PM

Anyway to the OP I definitely feel for you. That would be like taking an AP exam and someone stupid talking or having a cell go off or something that would get all of the tests cancled. I'm sure you'll be okay though, try not to freak too much.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

Last edited by udontno; June 4th 2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Removing quoted deleted post

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 4th 2009, 03:47 PM

Wow that is really annoying. My school relies a lot on predictions too, so I know what it is like when that goes wrong.

I had two exams on at the same time one day so I had to take one in the morning and stay in isolation until the next exam so I couldn't tell anyone what was on the exam. I had to stay in a room on my own with a grump teacher and she took my bag and just left me with my dinner. I wasn't even allowed to revise for my next exam. That annoyed me but at least they didn't postpone it for a totally different day and give me a different paper.

Good luck for Saturday and the rest of your exams.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 4th 2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post
I'm not trying to be mean, but I can't click the link for some reason, can you fix that or something?
That's ok, yeah it looks like it's broken...try this one maybe?¿

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking71.htm

Anyway, it turns out the superintendant who gave out the wrong exam has been suspended indefinitely, which makes me feel a bit better, but it's still really annoying... I'm getting a bit stressed about my exams next week.
Apparently the class of '09 will always now be remembered as the year whose Leaving Cert screwed up...

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 5th 2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
By the way...what's IB?¿
The International Baccalaureate Programme. It's a two year programme for high school students, and the diploma is recognized by universities world wide. It's an advanced programme similar to AP classes, and is supposed to be a pre-university programme. Unlike AP, where you take individual advanced classes, when you do IB, you enrol in all IB classes (if the full programme is too overwhelming you can drop to certificates, but universities only recognize them if you take higher rather than lower level certificates.

It's odd to explain.
IB Diploma Programme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#19 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 5th 2009, 03:14 PM

Oh of course!! I knew that, what am I like.... sure my friend's school has a class for people doing it. Apparently it's quite a similar system to the Leaving Certificate.

Speaking of which, my school was on the news last night in connection with the whole mix up. T'was nothing to do with what had happened, just happened to be one of the scholls the news reporters were interviewing students in about the whole shebang. But it made me proud to see it in the background looking all grown up. (:

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 5th 2009, 08:34 PM

Man, I think if I were you I would have been running around the town screaming my head off.

That sounds like all the SAT/ACT bullshit we get over here.

It's always exciting for your school to be in the news though!

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 6th 2009, 05:34 PM

Yeah, they came to my school again today, and this time my boyfriend was on for a few seconds...they keep missing me though.

It's all over now...but i'm still pissed, ebcause this has fucked up my weekend. I have six exams starting from Monday, three of which have huge courses, and I only have tomorrow to study for them all. I stayed up late last night to study for today's exam and after three+ hours of writing I'm too wrecked really to focus on much today.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Name: emerson

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 12th 2009, 11:50 PM

How did it go? I'm curious now...

(#23 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Oh for God's sake...they've cancelled my FUCKING Leaving Cert. - June 17th 2009, 05:46 PM

Yeah, the actual exam was grand. I just got a bit upset because I really needed that Saturday morning to study for other exams like History and Biology which ended up not going so amazingly. But yeah, English wasn't too difficult in the end!!!

Closed Thread