TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 11:10 AM

I saw a debate about this on "The Big Questions" on BBC 1 this morning. It's something I feel failry passionate about, so it did get me quite annoyed. The original question was "The private school system should be abolished" people who said 'yes it should be' said that it was only for the rich and gave them an unfair advantage over others who couldn't afford it. What do you guys think??

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Magic.; June 7th 2009 at 11:17 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 11:23 AM

i went to a private school when i lived abroad, then moved to england and went to state primary school for the last two years of primary school. i then went to a private school, got expelled.. and went to another private school [where i am now.]

no, of course it shouldn't be abolished. i get really pissed off when people critisize people who go to private schools. heres a few reasons why..

- if everyone decided to go to a state school the country wouldn't be able to cope.. i mean look, it can hardly place everyone in a school as it is, what on earth would happen if we didn't have private schools?

- i've had plenty of people call me stuck up or posh or whatever else because i go to a private school.. and how my parents just pay for my education and it's not fair. well, in actual fact my parents are also paying for their education, because my parents pay taxes, which go towards state schools, when i'm not using the state schooling system.

i'm kinda fed up of people getting on at me for going to a private school. i was at a party like 6 months ago and some girl called me "upper class scum" - am i meant to be offended by that? meh.

i don't see why anyone cares, if my parents want to pay £15,000 a year for my schooling, what is it to do with anyone else? my parents worked hard for their money so that they could be comfortable and spend it on education for my brother and i.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiciansasssistant View Post
I saw a debate about this on "The Big Questions" on BBC 1 this morning. It's something I feel failry passionate about, so it did get me quite annoyed. The original question was "The private school system should be abolished" people who said 'yes it should be' said that it was only for the rich and gave them an unfair advantage over others who couldn't afford it. What do you guys think??
- That's what scholarships were invented for. For those who have the potential to go somewhere, and the only way they can is to have access to the liberties and resources that a private school can provide.

As for those private-school kids that don't actually concentrate on their schooling - gtfo. There are those less fortunate that could be using your position within that school to achieve something better than they would in a public school.

Perhaps governments should pay the teachers the same wage they'd get paid at a private school, therefore you wouldn't have the "better" teachers going to proprietor-owned schooling faculties. (Note: yes, I understand how impractical that request is. And yes, I know how much that completely ruins the idea of private schooling).

As for myself, I go to a public school with private-school standard teachers. Though, they don't get paid well. (: How do they have incentive to stay at my school when their reputation as private standard is not taken advantage of by paying them better.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
JustARandomGirl Offline
Average Joe

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 11:55 AM

I agreed with Elle on this one.
If parents can afford and want to send their kids to a private school they should have every right to. Just because some people cant afford to or dont want to send their kids there dosent mean its unfair. In all honesty everything people do with money do is considered unfair to those without money which I'm sick of. Most people I know work hard for their money so I believe that they have every right to spend it in whatever they wish to.

I go to a Private school and I'm called rich/posh/stuckup and these things because of it. I'm not even that rich. Sure my family has money. But not heaps. My parents chose to spend most of their money on a private school for me because they believe school is very important and that a private school might keep me out of trouble and get me to learn.

In the end I believe that everyone has a right to choose whatever kind of education they would like their kids to recieve and whichever way they choose they or their kids should not be discrimnated against.

Last edited by JustARandomGirl; June 7th 2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: adding a bit

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 12:03 PM

It's quite funny, actually. There are a few private schools in my area (four or five, to be exact) and I did attend one for an entire year. Do you know how much my tuition for that school was? Over $30,000pa. Do you know what the tuition fee is for the best university in the state? $27,000pa.

Would someone explain to me how that is practical in any way?

My parents would be paying more for my education in high school than I would be paying for further education.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Penguin Queen Offline
Penguin queen!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 12:28 PM

I don't think we can practically get rid of the private school system. I think we should make them get more scholarships, and make it more fair. Also, how does it make it better to get rid of the best educated? surely it would be better to take practical steps to improve state schools.

fait
h is a bluebird that you see from afar
it is real and as sure as the first evening star
can't touch it, or buy it, or lock it up tight
but its there just the same
making things turn out right

LE PE
NGUIN QUEEN

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecryingangel View Post
I don't think we can practically get rid of the private school system. I think we should make them get more scholarships, and make it more fair. Also, how does it make it better to get rid of the best educated? surely it would be better to take practical steps to improve state schools.
How would you improve state schools in a practical manner?

The whole point of a private school being better than a public school would be completely redundant if you tried to improve state schools. Parents would still be paying ten times the amount you would for a state school education, but yet the gap of comparison between private and state schools would be closed to the point where the point of going to a private school becomes redundant.

The government doesn't have the money to improve state schools. I'm pretty sure that applies to all countries at this stage. State schools would not be able to increase their budget to the point where it would encourage teachers to be better than what they are.

Look at it this way: to receive a better education, you have to pay more money. It works well in both the government's favour and the proprietors' favour.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Penguin Queen Offline
Penguin queen!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoyinglife View Post
How would you improve state schools in a practical manner?

The whole point of a private school being better than a public school would be completely redundant if you tried to improve state schools. Parents would still be paying ten times the amount you would for a state school education, but yet the gap of comparison between private and state schools would be closed to the point where the point of going to a private school becomes redundant.

The government doesn't have the money to improve state schools. I'm pretty sure that applies to all countries at this stage. State schools would not be able to increase their budget to the point where it would encourage teachers to be better than what they are.

Look at it this way: to receive a better education, you have to pay more money. It works well in both the government's favour and the proprietors' favour.
I don't know how to improve it, Im not an expert, although I do have a lot of ideas by looking at other countries.

fait
h is a bluebird that you see from afar
it is real and as sure as the first evening star
can't touch it, or buy it, or lock it up tight
but its there just the same
making things turn out right

LE PE
NGUIN QUEEN

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 01:11 PM

I went to a state school but was physically bullied and the only place that would take me immediately was the private school I'm at now. I got a 50% scholarship, my sister is there on a 25% bursary and my other sister starts in september on a 25% bursary. My parents have to work [combined] over 120 hours a week to send us there. That's why it bugs me that "private schools are only for the rich", most of the kids at my school are in similar situations - parents working incredibly hard rather than being rich.
As for improving the state schools, I reckon it can be done. I think one of the main problems is the fact that teachers have trouble controlling the kids and disciplining them, it certainly was in the school I went to. There is money to do this. In my local area they are knocking down and rebuilding all state schools that haven't been built in the last 5 years. They aren't exactly old schools, and their facilities are fine; I think the money would be far better spent on teacher training.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I went to a state school but was physically bullied and the only place that would take me immediately was the private school I'm at now. I got a 50% scholarship, my sister is there on a 25% bursary and my other sister starts in september on a 25% bursary. My parents have to work [combined] over 120 hours a week to send us there. That's why it bugs me that "private schools are only for the rich", most of the kids at my school are in similar situations - parents working incredibly hard rather than being rich.
As for improving the state schools, I reckon it can be done. I think one of the main problems is the fact that teachers have trouble controlling the kids and disciplining them, it certainly was in the school I went to. There is money to do this. In my local area they are knocking down and rebuilding all state schools that haven't been built in the last 5 years. They aren't exactly old schools, and their facilities are fine; I think the money would be far better spent on teacher training.
And you would be right - funding is better spent on teacher training than the surrounding environment around the students. No "official" ever looks at it as the teachers being bad mentors (because they obviously don't pay them enough to expect that much of them). The expectations of a teacher is far greater than that of most other jobs, and still the funding they receive is no incentive to appreciate those expectations for the money they get paid.

How will increasing the amount of facilities (because, to be honest, its hard to improve facilities in state schools - they always end up trashed anyway) improve education? I blame the government for the lack of education in state schools, not due to the fact of lack of facilities (my school is a year old, and has enough facilities to house three times its current capacity of students) but due to the fact of lack of teacher funding.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Faye. Offline
maybe this time...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Faye

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 01:45 PM

In an ideal world private schools wouldn't exist and state schools would provide a good education to everyone across the country but we don't live in a perfect world. And as long as there are people who want a better education than the state is providing and as long as there are people willing to provide it then private schools will be around.

I personally go to a private school but would hold no objections over going to a state school, however things like getting to do seperate sciences etc. is a benefit of private schools.

Feel free to PM me

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think its forever
-Carl Sagan

Send a message via MSN to Faye. Send a message via Skype™ to Faye. 
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
InTheFlood Offline
Walking In The Sun...
I've been here a while

Name: Amelia

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 02:10 PM

I agree that more money should be invested in teacher training.
And as for them not being able to control classes. I've never seen that as the teachers fault. At all. Discipline starts at home. To be honest if parents are going to complain about it. They should discipline their kids better then they would be more willing to sit down stfu and learn something. Its a two way street. We can't expect the teachers to do everything.
That's the main difference between state and private. Pretty much all the people in private want to learn.

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║▌║
ORIGINAL MCFLY FAN ®

"Another year over, and we're still together.
It's not always easy, but McFly's here forever
I know you believe me, when you look into my eyes
'Cause McFly never dies, because The Heart Never Lies!"

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 02:36 PM

The idea of the facilities expansion/improvement is that if they have high quality top of the range facilities, the kids will want to keep it all nice so they won't vandalise / graffitti etc. I don't think it'll work though ...
The problem is that the kids just don't listen. Like I said I was bullied, my school asked me to leave because they couldn't control the kids. Basically they wouldn't go to detentions and when one of them got suspended for a week he went out with older friends and ended up getting done for shoplifting - it was like a reward for him, not a punishment. A lot of the kids at that school had parents that just didn't care what they were up to, they didn't discipline them either.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 02:38 PM

I went to a private school from pre-K through 8th grade. When I went to high school I didn't want to go to the one nonreligious private high school around because I had spent the last four years going to a private school across the street from it and just though that the students there were very snooty. Anyway in my freshman honnors English class there were people who could find the adverb or the prepositional phrase in a sentence, things I did in the 6th grade. Needless to say I was in shock. My freshman year of high school was so easy in fact that I stopped doing homework at home that year and haven't really done homework since and still graduated in the top 100 of a 715 person class and have been accepted into 18 colleges. Long story short private schools rule and in states like Florida we desperately need them.

Also I've discovered that the same thing goes for colleges. I had much harder classes and better teachers at the private college I went to fall semester than at the public college I went to spring semester. I'm going to a different private college this coming fall (I'm a college hopper 3rd semester of college 3rd school) and I hope it will be better as well. And hey I can't afford it, they are giving me $21,594 in aid and I still had to take out an $11,000 loan. But it's worth it.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Samantha

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 02:56 PM

i went to public school most of my life and barely got an education in the public school system (there are some good public schools but not many) Then I went to a private school which i am still in.
We have financial aid available to anyone that needs it so it is very possible for anyone to go to our school.
Im getting an amazing education in this school because we have excellent teachers, they are able to easily fire the bad teachers, it is small so it is easy to get extra help.
There is a test that you have to take to get into the school which eliminates most of the people that do not have an interest in learning or school.
I think private schools are wonderful and should not be abolished.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 03:50 PM

I've gone to a private school and my family is by no means rich. I guess it really depends on where it is, exactly what kind of private school, etc. But I think that as long as it's being paid for, who cares? Those kids have just as much right to go to public school... But if they've got the money, why not? I can see how it would be an issue of, "Well, children with families that maybe aren't so wealthy don't get the opportunity to go." Thing is, you're never going to be able to avoid that in this world. Should people not be allowed to buy brand new cars because others don't have enough money to buy it if they want it? But I don't know... That's just my opinion.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#17 (permalink)) Old
molliegym Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 06:43 PM

I went to public ("state") school all the way through 8th grade, but I am now about to graduate from a private high school. My parents make good salaries, but they're not "rich"- upper-middle class, maybe, but not swimming in pools of thousand dollar bills. There are plenty of people at my school that are (figuratively) swimming in pools of money, but there are also many people that are on scholarships.

The thing is, the only way to "improve" public/state schools would be through additional funding. How do public schools get more money? Through higher taxes. I live in a town with pretty high taxes, and the public schools are very good. Believe it or not, public schools don't get money out of thin air. That's why schools in areas with lower taxes are generally (not always, but generally) not as good as schools in areas with higher taxes. Public schools have to educate everyone; private schools don't. There are many, MANY good public schools, but because private schools can be selective about who gets in, the quality of the students is generally higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoyinglife View Post
It's quite funny, actually. There are a few private schools in my area (four or five, to be exact) and I did attend one for an entire year. Do you know how much my tuition for that school was? Over $30,000pa. Do you know what the tuition fee is for the best university in the state? $27,000pa.

Would someone explain to me how that is practical in any way?

My parents would be paying more for my education in high school than I would be paying for further education.
Private schools might not be "practical" (they're much more expensive, and tuition isn't the only cost- in my case, my parents also had to pay for school lunch, books, and transportation- the private school is much farther from my house than the local public school). But for some people, money isn't an issue, so who cares what's "practical"? If you have more money than you know what to do with, it doesn't really matter how you spend it.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MOLLYH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]A few clicks will help @TWLOHA win $1 Million for suicide prevention. Please share this with others. Vote here:http://bit.ly/7si7Be

My music

I never conquered, rarely came
Tomorrow holds such better days

Check out my blog, Cold Fusion, with music news, reviews, and other related musings.

Send a message via AIM to molliegym Send a message via MSN to molliegym  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 07:18 PM

Private schools shouldn't be abolished, they're practices should be though. My favorite episode of 'Cold Case' was Knuckle Up because it showed how that system screws many of us up, or at least in all guys schools... let's just say after years of being told that "you're an INVESTMENT to your parents" isn't good on one's psyche, messed me up for a while because I started believing that I was just a number to be led around. The only good part I can think of is it prepared me for college, when I see a lot of college students struggling - I just breeze through it because for me it's just high school work and often times easier. It was psychologically draining though, or at least at my school. Simply put, for me, my private school was a "boot camp" of sorts on the psychological level.

Last edited by ThePunkAlien; June 7th 2009 at 07:26 PM.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 08:19 PM

I don't know about the UK and the US, but I'm in Ireland, and my school at least (public) is just as good as any of the private schools, in terms of teachers. I mean yeah, the private schools have prettier classrooms and better sports facilities (which appears to be what they spend their money on, rather than on actual education) but that's pretty much it. My school turns out amazing grades and has a very high percentage of students going onto third level.

So here, in my area at least, I see no difference between the private and public schools, except you pay a ridiculous amount of money for one. But I'm guessing it's different in other places.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 09:56 PM

Looking from the lower-income perspective, I can understand how people get frustrated and see private schools as an unfair advantage. As unfair as it is, when you grow up in poverty, it's very easy to start resenting people who can afford nice things. I know that personally it got very frustrating when I'd have to turn down going out with my friends because they were going somewhere I couldn't afford. Ideally, all public schools would be just as good as private schools, and there wouldn't be any need for resentment, but as long as private schools exist there will be low income families resenting them, and I can't honestly criticize them for it.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 7th 2009, 11:03 PM

I be honest with you, I do think private schools are in an advantage at least where I go to school in. I go to a private school, but my friend goes to a public school and she tells me that the teachers just want a pay check. They don't care if you learn or not.
In my school, you get a better relationship with the teacher and teachers actually care if you learn.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 8th 2009, 06:28 AM

I think the teachers and pupils make a school what it is. Naturally, then, many private schools will offer a better education and, thus, put their students in a position of advantage; the private schools are, after all, going to accept the brightest of applicants. As long as these schools offer scholarships to economically disadvantaged but academically gifted students, I see no problem with their existence.

That said, I'm among the few very lucky students who had a wonderful public education. My school was small and a very special place. Because teachers within my school system strove to work their way into our school, we tended to have some of the best and most dedicated teachers public schools offer. I didn't need a private education because I got a first rate public one; like students who attended private schools in my area, those who attended the public school were able to choose to be advantaged.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#23 (permalink)) Old
ieatpeople Offline
Teehee..i eat cheeks first...
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 8th 2009, 09:36 AM

Well... i don't think anything's unfair with the private and/or public school system. Whether someone goes to a public school or a private school doesn't really matter because whatever each may lack you yourself can make up for it. For instance if you think that private school kids have an advantage because of better education, why can't you go ahead and exert effort into educating yourself like reading more on your subjects or something like that? After all, the teacher is merely a facilitator in the classroom. You do all the work yourself. If you think that public schools have less snobbish people or something of that sort, why would you let other people's issues affect you? Recognizing and getting affected by these things only make them stronger and more important and really they are not!

And yes, I go to a private school but I came from a public one and I got so stressed over all the subjects and learning we had to do and the attitudes of the people there... well not so much people.. we were like four in a whole year but thats another story anyway and i found myself wishing i could go back but after a year i realized that nothing was actually different because either you had to exert effort and had to study and adapt to your environment public, private or otherwise.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 8th 2009, 10:10 AM

I don't agree with Private schooling to be honest.

We have a private School in Dundee (Dundee High, funnily enough) and to be honest I don't see why it is any better.
The grades aren't any better than the school I was at, and that was branded "The worst school in Dundee" for about 3 years when I was there. I'd also say the amount of trouble wasn't much better either.

I'm not saying this is the case for all private schools, but using the one here as a prime example, I don't see why they exist.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 8th 2009, 10:44 AM

In the US I think it is more of an issue in Southern states, because the Midwest and New England have very good public schools. I live in wealthy community but my dad (who is business manager of the school) says we have less than 5% of our town's students in private schools. If the states/towns invest more money into public education this wouldn't be much of an issue.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 8th 2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I love that show

I so wish I went to a private school, I know I would have done so much better, my teachers have totally let me down especially in A levels this year. My mum got me a private tutor for my maths and my grade improved dramatically which proved it was the teacher.

I don't think private schools should be abolished but I think they should provide more chances for less fortunate people. I think they should provide more scholarships and more chances for others.

I know someone who goes to a private school and he has a private tutor, he is still failing. His parents are trying to buy his intelligence but you can't do that if he isn't naturally clever. They only provide and advantage if you take the opportunity and use it to your advantage.

One thing that totally annoys me is my parents earn too much for me to get EMA but not enough to pay for a private school so I get no extra help from anywhere. I am in that middle group that just gets ignored and it really annoys me. My parents may earn a reasonable amount but they have bills and they are paying for my brother's 2nd uni course so they can't afford to give me the £30 a week that the government is giving others in 6th form or college. (That is another debate for another time though)

(#27 (permalink)) Old
pbandjay Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Joseph

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 8th 2009, 12:06 PM

I don't think it's right to state that the private school system should be abolished or anything. I think comparisons between different types of schools in order to better the overall school system is definitely a good idea. But in my opinion it's all education and that's what is important...
  Send a message via AIM to pbandjay Send a message via MSN to pbandjay Send a message via Skype™ to pbandjay 
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 8th 2009, 01:34 PM

I don't think private schools should be abolished but i quite like going to a state school.

My school has a fairly bad reputation, but doesn't live up to it. Compared to the private school about 10 minutes away my school is meant to be rough and full of knife crime. None of this is true.. yeah there are some chavs, but most of us are just normal. Not to mention the teachers. Theres some huge personalities who make the school which im sure is not the same in the private school down the road. I enjoy going to school (as much as one can..) because it's relaxed - but not so relaxed that no one does anything but as relaxed as school can be.
However in a private school it would be all about the grades to make the school look good so more people will pay to go there in the future. Not about an enjoyable and relaxed experience.
I mean, i get decent grades and most people at my school do aswell (obviously theres some who mess about but they all leave before sixthform so it's all good)

Apart from that, i have no problem with people who go to private schools, i just would rather not.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Mizu-Kun (Saito)'s Spouse
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 8th 2009, 05:12 PM

I loved the private school I went to. Unfortunately I could only be there for one year, as my family moved several hours away and I had to go to a public school (state school) But I found that it was a much more intense, challenging school environment and when I went to the public school the next year, I was about two years ahead in class content. Its just great because the teachers are dedicated and the students learn so much more.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 8th 2009, 05:21 PM

One thing I have to take blame for also, well not entire blame because at my all guy's school it was kinda bred into us through our naturally competitive nature by the school, we did look down on public education. My friends and I used to make tons of jokes at the expense of public schooling and how those who were failing out in middle school somehow started succeeding in that system during high school.

There might be a difference between all guy's private schooling and all girl's though... cause it seems like I'm, or at least from the sounds of it, the only one on here to see it as psychologically straining as a boot camp... the one thing that united all of us towards the end was "brotherhood against 'the man'" - some teachers were cool, the rest only yelled and ordered us around like a boot camp instructor.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
lvpeyton Offline
stronger than yesterday
Average Joe

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 8th 2009, 05:54 PM

i don't think it is neccesary to abolish private schools. if people are willing to pay for their children's education, then why not let them?

i attended private school from kindergarten until 4th grade (before my parents split) and didn't really mind it.

when i attended a public school for the first time it was so different, mainly because we didn't wear uniforms anymore, which was hard to get used to. for the first time in my life i was picked on about what i was wearing and what the hell did i know anyway? i was in private school before and everyone wore the same damn thing.

that was my favorite part about private school. even in high school at times i would just love to wake up and know what i had to wear.

i go to a private college now, but not for any particular reason other than the fact that it is close to home.

anyways- private schools are not bad. they offer quality education just like the public schools i attended.

"All these short times feel like no time, I thought you ought to know."

“Sometimes you have to forget about what you want, and remember what you deserve.”

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 8th 2009, 06:10 PM

Hahaha, Abolish Private Schools????

How about increase the standards in State Schools.

Most goverment run schools are the WORST!

They keep all the bad teachers because they are unionized!!!

Alot of american and canadian schools are runned down paying... out dated.

When asian kids go to my class, they excel in math. They came from a poor country.... Ummm why are we north americans are so stupid. I know a koream kid when i was in grade 10 and he was my age. and grade but he didnt go to my math class... he went to grade 12 advance lol. and then did precal and cal...

The same reason why GM failed. Its the usless contracts fromed by unions. Unions are designed to protect jobs... at the cost of the students education.

My answer. They should not abloish private schools but they should try to beat or match.

I hate it when people say, because the rich people have the advantage... wow.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 8th 2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb View Post
My answer. They should not abloish private schools but they should try to beat or match.
I don't know about beat. From what I've experienced, don't know how many schools this occurs at, the teacher's chances are the same chances a new show has on Fox. A LOT of teachers kept getting fired, these were also the only teachers students liked. So, if the system's like that everywhere in private - having public school structured that intensely - where there isn't solid ground in teaching - it would become a mess due to teachers being hired and dropped like flies every year.

Plus as to the success rates in private schools, remember that it's a constant war for the students to remain as well and once you drop below a certain point - you're gone. Almost everyone at some point risked getting kicked out that's how intense grades can be at a private school.

So there's other things to take into account as well besides better trained teachers.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
ieatpeople Offline
Teehee..i eat cheeks first...
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 8th 2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Plus as to the success rates in private schools, remember that it's a constant war for the students to remain as well and once you drop below a certain point - you're gone. Almost everyone at some point risked getting kicked out that's how intense grades can be at a private school.
i know what you mean its intense really I studied and stressed so hard I developed panic attacks whenever I got an A-. like woah..

but anyway, i dont think we can abolish private schools generally. some are good, great even and some just stink. there's nothing wrong with going to one because its their own choice and opinion if they want to put their kids in one maybe because of the teaching style or maybe coz that works for them. a good idea would be to abolish the bad private schools and bring the public schools up to par.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 8th 2009, 09:10 PM

Public/state schools should be brought up to par with private schools. Or at least,a better focus on education at public schools. I have friends who graduated high school, and they can't read, or if they can read it's on a very low grade school level. Most of the kids at my college have to take remedial classes in Reading, Math, and English to get them on a high enough level that they can succeed at my community college.

I don't really have an opinion on Private/Public schools honestly. I spent a year and a half in public school, and I never went to private, so I don't know much. Just that private schools are okay, if they offer scholarships, and public schools need to up their standards.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 8th 2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb View Post
Hahaha, Abolish Private Schools????

How about increase the standards in State Schools.

Most goverment run schools are the WORST!

They keep all the bad teachers because they are unionized!!!
For some reason, our government would rather pump money into over excessive military equipment that we don't need. For god's sakes, we double the military costs of the entire EU! While we use an outdated school system...

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#37 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 8th 2009, 10:59 PM

My problem with Private schools, is the amount of potential people have, but their parents can't pay. Not to sound stuck up, but I would have learned tons more, and done just as well in a private school, but I would have had the upper-hand on majority of public school kids. Not to mention, the money private schools have to be able to keep up the school.

Whether that means private schools should be abolished, I don't know. But I feel as though something needs to be changed really.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#38 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 8th 2009, 11:15 PM

I like the fact that there are private schools out there. I go to public school, but if my father had his way I'd go to one of the academies. I sometimes wish I did, however, I don't feel as if they are learning more than we are. They do not have the AP classes and such that we have at my public school.

For the most part, I think a lot of people that complain about the price of private schools are the people that want to send their children there. Most people that I hear complaining are people that could easily afford it if they didn't spend their money on vacations, boats, or fancy cars. If you want to send your child to private school, then make the sacrifices. If you honestly can't afford it, look into scholarships.

--A

(#39 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathlene

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 9th 2009, 04:39 AM

As long as the public schools are giving kids a good education, I don't have a problem with private schools. The Canadian public schools seem to be pretty good. The American education system is really screwed up though. I can't believe that some schools down there don't even have the proper textbooks. Like hello! how can you possibly run a school without textbooks? I just can't comprehend that. Every school should have what a school needs to run. I guess even if you have bad public schools it's not a good idea to take away private schools, but I believe it's very important for EVERY child to get a good education. In all honesty, the depth of education and comittment required from private schools would kill a lot of the students in public schools anyhow.

It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)

Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3

Last edited by Khadra; June 9th 2009 at 04:44 AM.

(#40 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Private vs. State Schools - June 9th 2009, 05:22 AM

Private schools shouldn't be abolished. Children should not be forced to go to a public school if they can afford an education (which may or not be considered a better education) elsewhere.
I don't think it's right to simply say, "It's not fair." I do think there should be other financial options available. That could mean student loans, special payment plans, or even scholarships that can be awarded. This could open up the opportunities for those who have trouble coming up with the money and still allow the student to get a private school education. Diversity in private schools wouldn't be such a bad thing. It would give a bit more life lessons instead of just class lessons.
For example, when I was in private elementary school, I did notice the gaps between social classes. Kids would pick on children who didn't have the same lifestyle they did. There is definitely a lack of emphasis on teaching diversity and acceptance of people who are different. At least in my situation. Education is NOT just classwork and grades. It's to ready students for their future, and the honest truth is that all people are different, come from different backgrounds, and experience different things. Placing kids in a school where everyone is basically cloned definitely creates some false pretenses.

I also think that public schools need a boost in their standards. The curriculum could stand to be a little bit more rigorous. There shouldn't be such a big gap in the quality of education receives between public and private schools. People shouldn't have to want or need to send their children to a private school because of the academic advantages.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

Closed Thread