TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 8th 2009, 12:37 AM

BBC NEWS | Politics | Yorkshire elects BNP's first MEP

Quote:
The BNP has won its first seat in the European Parliament after gaining 10% of the vote in Yorkshire and Humber.
The party came fifth in the regional poll, won by the Conservatives, but garnered enough votes to win a seat.
Its leader Nick Griffin said the BNP was not racist but spoke for "ordinary people" neglected by other parties.
Labour and the Tories expressed their dismay at the result, with Health Secretary Andy Burnham saying it was a "sad moment" for British politics.
'Misrepresentation'
The BNP won more than 120,139 votes in the Yorkshire region, slightly less than in 2004, but enough to take one of the six seats on offer in the region.
Successful candidate Andrew Brons, a retired university lecturer, acknowledged that his victory would not be "universally popular".
Despite the headlines, money and misrepresentation, we have managed to win through

Andrew Brons, BNP

He said the party, which is accused by its opponents of stirring racial hatred, something it denies, had survived an "onslaught" by the media and the political classes during the campaign.
"Despite the headlines, money and misrepresentation, we have managed to win through," he said.
The election was the "first step" towards the UK removing itself from the "EU dictatorship", he added.
Labour said the BNP's victory showed voters were worried about immigration issues and that these concerns did need to be addressed.
Mainstream parties must "understand" why people had voted for the BNP, Mr Burnham said, and must "painstakingly" work to win back support.
"It is not a good night for anybody who campaigns against racism in politics," he said.
The Conservatives said the BNP victory was a "terribly sad moment" and that mainstream parties need to "rethink" how they countered the BNP's arguments.
"All politicians should be asking themselves how did we allow this to happen," said the party's defence secretary Liam Fox.
The BNP also hopes to win a seat in the North West region, where its leader Nick Griffin is standing.
But as he arrived at the count on Sunday, his car was surrounded by noisy protesters and it drove off without him getting out.
Protests
Mr Griffin later entered the building through the back entrance.
The BNP leader was accompanied by a number of minders.

Andy Burnham says the win will "redouble our determination to take them out"

There is a substantial police presence outside Manchester Town Hall, where the votes for the region are being counted.
Police said one man was arrested in scuffles when Mr Griffin tried to get into the building through the front entrance and his car was surrounded by a small crowd of noisy protesters.
"Mr Griffin has been driven away to avoid the protests that they have set up at both entrances," a council spokesman said.
"Mr Griffin, as one of the MEP candidates, will have to gain access to the town hall at some point for the count," it added.
The BNP has targeted the North West during the campaign.
It won one of its three English county council seats in Burnley in Thursday's elections.
The BNP is hoping to improve on its European performance in 2004 when it won just under 5% of the vote.
I've been freaking out over the past hour or two because of this. Not only does the BNP have a seat in the European parliament, but It's from MY region!

The BNP is a political party that believes in whites only, etc.

Don't turn this into a hate thread, but what do you guys think to this?

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 8th 2009, 01:21 AM

Everything I have read about BNP makes them seem like a disgrace in modern society. It sounds like they thrive on hate and irrational fears of foreigners. This could have been a reasonable party 100 years ago, but now? yikes

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 8th 2009, 01:35 AM

That doesn't sound like a good party.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jamie

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 8th 2009, 01:38 AM

They won another seat in the North West, too. Personally I think both regions should be ashamed of themselves for letting this happen- a turnour of 20-30% is unacceptable. You hear many people complain about the BNP, yet how many go out and vote? Not a single one. This was not a vote for the BNP, but a non-vote of those who simply do not spend 5 minutes to vote, yet will be the first to rant about it in the morning. Although it cannot be ignored there is support for the BNP and extreme-right partyies in general coming out of tonight's Euro-Elections- Geert Wildeers, a modern-day Hitler (look him up, you'll see) has come 2nd in Holland...

One only hopes once the recession is over, once again common sense will prevail and crush such parties.

On a lighter note, the Pirate Part of Sweden (those supporting the Pirate Bay owners who are facing jail) did win a seat in the Euro Parliament!

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.

Last edited by Jamie; June 8th 2009 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 8th 2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
One only hopes once the recession is over, once again common sense will prevail and crush such parties.
Don't count on it. The fear and resentment of immigrants and immigration (and foreigners in general, particularly non-white ones and especially Muslims) and their effect on "indigenous British culture", the belief that the country is too soft on crime, and the hatred of the EU were building up long before the recession started, and these are the main factors that are driving up support for the BNP. The recession might be accelerating their growth, but I suspect that the rise of the BNP will continue even after we return to economic growth.

Anyway, I'm disgusted but not surprised. I hate the BNP and everything they stand for (not just the racism, although it's a big factor. Their economic policies are ludicrous as well).

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 8th 2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
Don't count on it. The fear and resentment of immigrants and immigration (and foreigners in general, particularly non-white ones and especially Muslims) and their effect on "indigenous British culture", the belief that the country is too soft on crime, and the hatred of the EU were building up long before the recession started, and these are the main factors that are driving up support for the BNP. The recession might be accelerating their growth, but I suspect that the rise of the BNP will continue even after we return to economic growth.

Anyway, I'm disgusted but not surprised. I hate the BNP and everything they stand for (not just the racism, although it's a big factor. Their economic policies are ludicrous as well).
Well, the BNP platform was mainly on that and although they gained two seats- in those seats they actually lost votes. I think (not sure on the actual statistics) that overall, their vote is down. Admittedly hatred of the EU has benefitted UKIP very much although that is more euro-skepticism and protest than anything. I think the BNP will be eroding soon enough- they will really be in the public eye and now people will see them for what they are more and more- as one person who voted for BNP said to me after I informed them over their dark centre..."I just voted them because I saw "Saving British Jobs" and that seemed good to me. I had no idea about the other stuff."

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 8th 2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Well, the BNP platform was mainly on that and although they gained two seats- in those seats they actually lost votes. I think (not sure on the actual statistics) that overall, their vote is down. Admittedly hatred of the EU has benefitted UKIP very much although that is more euro-skepticism and protest than anything. I think the BNP will be eroding soon enough- they will really be in the public eye and now people will see them for what they are more and more- as one person who voted for BNP said to me after I informed them over their dark centre..."I just voted them because I saw "Saving British Jobs" and that seemed good to me. I had no idea about the other stuff."
You seem to have a higher opinion of the average British citizen than I do, then. I agree that people will see them more and more for what they are. However, I also think that many people will see it and like it. There's a huge amount of anti-immigrant feeling that was around even before the recession. The big parties realise this too, of course, which is why Labour has been talking tough on immigration (Gordon Brown's "British Jobs for British Workers") and introducing the points system for non-EU immigrants, and why the Conservatives have attacked Labour for being too soft on immigration and too pro-Europe. Even the Liberal Democrats attempt to dance around immigration questions in case people decide that they're too soft. And with cities such as Leicester on the edge of having no overall ethnic majority, many white voters are going to start feeling even more aggrieved. The BNP is the party best placed to capitalise on this, and because they don't have any MPs (yet) they're also untainted by the cynicism about "politics as usual" (not just the recent expenses scandals. The distrust of politicians has been around for much longer than that).

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 8th 2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
You seem to have a higher opinion of the average British citizen than I do, then. I agree that people will see them more and more for what they are. However, I also think that many people will see it and like it. There's a huge amount of anti-immigrant feeling that was around even before the recession. The big parties realise this too, of course, which is why Labour has been talking tough on immigration (Gordon Brown's "British Jobs for British Workers") and introducing the points system for non-EU immigrants, and why the Conservatives have attacked Labour for being too soft on immigration and too pro-Europe. Even the Liberal Democrats attempt to dance around immigration questions in case people decide that they're too soft. And with cities such as Leicester on the edge of having no overall ethnic majority, many white voters are going to start feeling even more aggrieved. The BNP is the party best placed to capitalise on this, and because they don't have any MPs (yet) they're also untainted by the cynicism about "politics as usual" (not just the recent expenses scandals. The distrust of politicians has been around for much longer than that).
Your points are valid here, there is a large anti-immigrant feeling in the UK tommorrow and the BNP is feeding off of that but not as much as UKIP, which stormed to 2nd place. I also feel that in the grand scheme of things the BNP did not gain as many votes as it prehaps should have. I'm not sure how the story will have been if there was no expenses scandal.

I think there is one clear thing though- the BNP may be able to do well in Euro Elections where people are more inclined to protest vote or throw their vote away than in a general elections, where more people are likely to divert their vote to a party they feel could take a seat- where it be Conservative or Liberal Democrat...even Green. Overall, the BNP are still the 6th party. (Further down in you include SNP and Plaid Cymru.)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 8th 2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Your points are valid here, there is a large anti-immigrant feeling in the UK tommorrow and the BNP is feeding off of that but not as much as UKIP, which stormed to 2nd place. I also feel that in the grand scheme of things the BNP did not gain as many votes as it prehaps should have. I'm not sure how the story will have been if there was no expenses scandal.
I'm not sure how long UKIP can continue to feed off the anti-immigrant feeling, though. The EU withdrawal aside, they're essentially unreconstructed Tories. A quick skim through their manifesto reveals policies like the reintroduction of state grammar schools and the introduction of a flat rate of income tax shows that they're pretty much like the Conservative Party of the 1980s. The problem for them is that much of the new support for the BNP isn't from ex-Tories, it's from ex-Labour voters who'll disagree with just about everything aside from the immigration freeze and the EU withdrawal. The BNP is economically further left than any other party in the country (well, of the ones that people have heard of, and with the possible exception of the Greens), making it far better able to sweep up all the disgruntled voters.

Quote:
I think there is one clear thing though- the BNP may be able to do well in Euro Elections where people are more inclined to protest vote or throw their vote away than in a general elections, where more people are likely to divert their vote to a party they feel could take a seat- where it be Conservative or Liberal Democrat...even Green. Overall, the BNP are still the 6th party. (Further down in you include SNP and Plaid Cymru.)
You're probably right to an extent about the protest votes, but I think that the effect of protest voting on BNP support is overstated. I suspect that many protest voters will still take a look at the BNP's record of racism and decide to vote for a different minor party instead. UKIP, meanwhile, make a natural protest vote in EU elections because their best-known policy is to withdraw from Europe. They may only be the sixth-placed party at the moment, but there is a genuine groundswell of support for many of their policies.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Unicorn. Offline
Cookie monster
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 8th 2009, 03:52 PM

WHAT?!
Jesus, that's unexpected.

Quote:
They won another seat in the North West, too. Personally I think both regions should be ashamed of themselves for letting this happen- a turnour of 20-30% is unacceptable. You hear many people complain about the BNP, yet how many go out and vote? Not a single one. This was not a vote for the BNP, but a non-vote of those who simply do not spend 5 minutes to vote, yet will be the first to rant about it in the morning.
I agree with Jamie on this; neither of my parents voted despite me practically kicking them out the door!

Personally, I despise the BNP and everything they stand for... and now they've got an MEP from my region!?

~Jess x
17|10|09

Whenever your world starts crashing down
That's where you'll find me

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 8th 2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
They won another seat in the North West, too. Personally I think both regions should be ashamed of themselves for letting this happen
I am from the North West and yes I am slightly ashamed but I don't think you should say we should all be ashamed of ourselves the 8% that voted BNP in the North West should be the ones ashamed.

The BNP disgust me I have been to Auschwitz and met a Holocaust survivor, the fact that anyone can deny that makes me sick.
Quote:
I am well aware that orthodox opinion is that six million Jews were gassed and cremated or turned into soup and lampshades. I have reached the conclusion that the 'extermination' tale is a mixture of Allied wartime propaganda, extremely profitable lie, and latter witch-hysteria
Nick Griffin - BNP Leader.
Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserve...res.magazine37

There views on rape and women makes me sick too, apparently rape isn't a crime because the women enjoy it.

Triggering for rape and abuse victims.
Spoiler:

"I've never understood why so many men have allowed themselves to be brainwashed by the feminazi myth machine into believing that rape is such a serious crime ... Rape is simply sex. Women enjoy sex, so rape cannot be such a terrible physical ordeal."

"To suggest that rape, when conducted without violence, is a serious crime is like suggesting that forcefeeding a woman chocolate cake is a heinous offence. A woman would be more inconvenienced by having her handbag snatched."

"The demonisation of rape is all part of the feminazi desire to obtain power and mastery over men. Men who go along with the rape myth are either morons or traitors."

Source: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ims/article.do

I also have a very mixed group of friends and about a quarter of them are Muslim and together we plan on protesting against the BNP.

I couldn't vote but I handed out leaflets against the BNP all around Liverpool. Others handed out leaflets for their parties but I don't have a certain party I am just against the BNP so my leaflets basically said vote anyone except BNP.

I don't know about anywhere else but there where tone of BNP signs around Liverpool and a big group of people me included ripped a lot of them up. It was mainly people from my school doing this as we are too young to vote so leafleting and ripping down signs is the most we could do.

More BNP quotes on race, gays, the holocaust, Hitler and AIDs can be found here http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/the-re...-own-words.php

This one disgusts me the most
AIDS: "A friendly disease because blacks, drug users and gays have it."

Last edited by Melody Pond; June 8th 2009 at 09:31 PM.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 8th 2009, 04:16 PM

I was shocked to hear this. Many people have not thought about their vote properly, in fact it was barely mention or advertised as such in Dundee. Lots of people didn't know which parties were involved, nevermind what they stood for.

BNP are disgraceful, a bunch of racist biggots, and I have no idea WHY they got in at all.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 8th 2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz Rach View Post
I am from the North West and yes I am slightly ashamed but I don't think you should say we should all be ashamed of ourselves the 8% that voted BNP in the North West should be the ones ashamed.
I think that the North West should be ashamed- I recongise you yourself have taken great steps and action against the BNP and I cannot praise you highly enough. But there was a staggering 3.4m+ people of the electorate who did not go out and vote. I know most of those will have reasons of why they could not get to vote and I understand that...but inaction fuels extremism. The sadenning thing is that the BNP only got that North West seat by 5,000 votes...and I'm willing to be there are more than 5,000 people who are anti-BNP and yet did not pull their finger out.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 8th 2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I think that the North West should be ashamed- I recongise you yourself have taken great steps and action against the BNP and I cannot praise you highly enough. But there was a staggering 3.4m+ people of the electorate who did not go out and vote. I know most of those will have reasons of why they could not get to vote and I understand that...but inaction fuels extremism. The sadenning thing is that the BNP only got that North West seat by 5,000 votes...and I'm willing to be there are more than 5,000 people who are anti-BNP and yet did not pull their finger out.
Ah right I totally agree with that. I was actually supposed to write the 8% who voted BNP and those who didn't vote at all but I got to carried away in my rant.
One thing I do have to say is the elections were not advertised at all in Liverpool, not an excuse but the only posters I saw for the elections were BNP and that was the only advertisement I saw.

I only knew because one of my friends is very politically involved and very anti BNP, he was the one who told me about the BNP and organized the protests. I had to practically force my parents to vote but they did eventually.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Penguin Queen Offline
Penguin queen!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 9th 2009, 04:06 PM

Nooooo! How can people vote for the BNP? I don't understand people...

fait
h is a bluebird that you see from afar
it is real and as sure as the first evening star
can't touch it, or buy it, or lock it up tight
but its there just the same
making things turn out right

LE PE
NGUIN QUEEN

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 9th 2009, 04:40 PM

Freakin nazis I hate them

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 9th 2009, 05:13 PM

Gah..See, the annoying thing is, I feel bad for not voting, but it was due to some buerocratical fuckup which meant I was registered on the electoral roll at my parents house and hence never got a chance to vote
It's saddening, but reading an article about Nick Griffin getting egged made me smile.

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 9th 2009, 05:19 PM

It's actually ridiculas.

Some people just wanted to vote for BNP because they are so sick of Labour, Conservatives and Lib Dems. I hate how people arn't more aware of what they are voting for and don't see the sinister motives behind the BNP's words. It's not that difficult and doesnt take long to research into what your voting for; ultimately giving a fascist party ammuntion and power.

UKIP on the other hand im more for than any of the other parties, but tbh all politics seem to be corrupt. I rekon though that the UK needs of get its self out of the EU and start providing for the people who live here. Immigration needs to slow down because of the job cuts - it's ridiculas that the people who live in this country are being made redundant and yet there are still immigrants coming over, putting others out of work. (Before anyone takes this as a racist remark - i don't mean it that way atall.)

Thats just my opinion anyway.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 9th 2009, 05:56 PM

I was really quite annoyed to hear that they got in, they are a horribly racist party and are by no means representing British people, which they claim to do.
I'm just grateful that they didn't get more MEPs, they shouldn't have much influence over anything over there. Besides they want out of the EU so they'll probably just abstain from most votes.

I just saw on the news that he got pelted with eggs by protestors at their press conference today. And they hit his car with signs as he was driven away ... I don't condone attacking him, but I seriously don't get how he hasn't understood yet that he does not have the support of the majority of British people?!

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Magic.; June 9th 2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: BNP gain first seat in Euro Elections - June 9th 2009, 08:20 PM

hmm i'm not so sure. the way i see it is, if enough people vote for them and they get in, then you can't complain about it. they got in fair and square and they deserve their place in the parliament just as much as anyone else.

just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean that they shouldn't be allowed to have a seat or two to state their opinions.

on the flip side..
i think a lot of people are ignorant to what they actually stand for and just voted for them because they didn't want to vote for anyone else. or because they were so fed up of the current political state they just thought.. "heck, i'll vote BNP, can't be any worse than the current people in charge."

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

Closed Thread