TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 07:06 AM

I think it's amazing to have a president who is so ready to help everyone. Including me. =)

SHOCK: Obama 'Proclaims' June Gay Pride Month / Queerty

"The LGBT rights movement has achieved great progress, but there is more work to be done. LGBT youth should feel safe to learn without the fear of harassment, and LGBT families and seniors should be allowed to live their lives with dignity and respect."

That really stood out to me. What do you think? Should Obama be showing his opinion as president so early on?

*Note, this is NOT an argument on if gay marriage/being gay is right or wrong.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 08:05 AM

Hm, well it has it's pros and cons. On the one hand, it's making him even more popular with liberals, and it's always a good thing to gain support. But it's also rather risky, in terms of the nation supporting him, if he too quickly alienates conservatives. But then, since he does seem to be somewhat of a celebrity, perhaps he can bring attention to the issue, kind of like Bono lol.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Mizu-Kun (Saito)'s Spouse
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 12:59 PM

This is awesome! However, I'm not sure if Obama is ready to deal with losing the many conservative supporters whom he may have just alienated.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
OurLovesSublime Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 01:19 PM

This really gives me hope for our country... Obama openly stated before that he does not necessarily agree with gay marriage, but feels people should have that right whether he agrees with it or not (not exactly what he said but basically lol). This is a really wonderful way of thinking. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean that it's not right!

I think this statement will equally harm him as well as hurt him, but in the long run I think this is a wonderful move on his part and hopefully everyone can learn to be just alittle more opened minded.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 01:45 PM

Fark headline: Obama proclaims June as Gay Pride Month. Surprisingly, some people have a problem with this.

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 03:13 PM

And why does there need to be a month for gay pride? Can't you just be proud of it all the time?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 03:23 PM

seems like a good idea.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Rob Offline
Project Coordinator

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Rob

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 03:25 PM

I'm rather curious why we need a second month when we already have LGBT History Month in February (UK) or October (US); It seems a bit superfluous to me. Though I imagine declaring his support for an already existing celebration wouldn't have nearly as much impact. Obama wants to show his opinions this early; he wants to show that he'll keep all the promises he's made, and the only way to do this is with large gestures that attract a lot of public attention such as this. Personally, I think it's great that the US have a president that will actually stand up for what he believes in and not be afraid to shy away from the more risqué topics that could cost him his popularity.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
kimvia Offline
is asleep
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kim

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
And why does there need to be a month for gay pride? Can't you just be proud of it all the time?
I think it is kind of like Black history month, it's there to give schools a reason to spend extra time on the subject, and to in general bring more awareness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm rather curious why we need a second month when we already have LGBT History Month in February (UK) or October (US); It seems a bit superfluous to me. Though I imagine declaring his support for an already existing celebration wouldn't have nearly as much impact. Obama wants to show his opinions this early; he wants to show that he'll keep all the promises he's made, and the only way to do this is with large gestures that attract a lot of public attention such as this. Personally, I think it's great that the US have a president that will actually stand up for what he believes in and not be afraid to shy away from the more risqué topics that could cost him his popularity.
LGBT History month isn't official, it isn't recognized by the government. It was started by a teacher and recognoised by GLSEN but never the government.
LGBT History Month - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PM me any time, ok? I'm always here to help.

What's the second amendment for?
Just in case the government takes away the first.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 05:05 PM

I want Black Hair Pride Month next.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
heather2010 Offline
Finding a way out
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Heather

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 05:06 PM

woot woot go obama

Lord, Thank You for everything
That I have come to know.
For all the trials I endured
You taught me how to grow.
Thank You for life's blessings,
You showed me how to love.
Thank You Lord, for filling me
with Compassion from above.
  Send a message via AIM to heather2010 Send a message via Yahoo to heather2010  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugez View Post
I want Black Hair Pride Month next.
Yeah, with all that social oppression you face due to black hair, and all the adversity you black haired people have faced and in the proccess of overcoming. If any hair colour deserves a month, it'd be ginger hair. Possibly blonde, but yeah, ginger people get crap. Black haired people in the USA don't. Dont even pretend your hair colour is even close.

Last edited by Marvin; June 16th 2009 at 06:32 PM.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I feel this way about all the “pride months”. Shouldn’t everyone just be proud of who they are? Because there aren’t enough months during the year to make every nationality and every sexual orientation and every other minority a pride month of their own. People just need to try to be a little more understanding, and a little less judgmental, and I don’t think a pride month is going to do that.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Abstract Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rachel

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 07:02 PM

He should make an Obama month. Obama's amazing

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
In an ideal world, you'd be right. At the moment, anything to raise public awareness and acceptance is a step forward.

Out of curiosity, has anyone actually read the comments below the article posted in the link? There's a staggering amount of Obama-hatred from a demographic that really should be supporting him. Criticism is fair, I agree that he could be doing more for gay rights, but all the screaming is ridiculous.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 08:12 PM

I feel like Obama's trying to do all the things the conservatives said would bring forth the end of the world, in the hope that they loose all credibility among the electorate when things actually turn out ok. Good tactics.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 09:57 PM

Socially, I really like him as a president.

Economically, Not the biggest fan >_>

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 11:07 PM

Whether or not you like the idea of a "pride month", you can probably understand the underlying reasons for doing this. Obama wants the support of more liberals and the credibility of doing what thousands of people voted him in to do. I personally encourage this, and hope that it expands.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post

Is there really? O.o I've never heard of that before in my life. So I guess it's not very open in Colorado? But June has PrideFEST, and parades and what-not which makes more sense to me to have Gay Pride Month then.

-Robert Frost

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Star Crow Offline
Average Joe

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 16th 2009, 11:57 PM

It's a good way for Obama to show support. While he's alienating some conservatives not all of them are against Gay rights. Now that more states are allowing Gay marriage Obama probubly felt he had to show support early so later he wouldn't be accused of only showing support because the majority believes it.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
guv11 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 17th 2009, 12:14 AM

although i have nothing against LGBT i fail to see how having a pride month helps solve the problem of decaying social solidarity on the subject,
although the concept and motivation are just, i think that as well as making people more open minded on the subject, on the rest of the people it is aimed to 'change' it will have the oppisite effect and increase resentment because its being shoved down their throats.
anyone agree or am i just being wierd?????? or at least see where im coming from????

PS wierd is awesome, it sets me apart from the rest of the world

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 17th 2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
Yeah, with all that social oppression you face due to black hair, and all the adversity you black haired people have faced and in the proccess of overcoming. If any hair colour deserves a month, it'd be ginger hair. Possibly blonde, but yeah, ginger people get crap. Black haired people in the USA don't. Dont even pretend your hair colour is even close.
Chill man, It was a friendly joke.

But to explain myself further: While I'm not against it, I don't really view it as necessary. I see enough Gay awareness already.

Sure, I understand why people are active in these communities. By all means, speak your mind about how you want equality and such..(personal note: I'm personally annoyed by all this stuff, but I understand why it's necessary).

But having "Gay Pride Month?" Seriously? I think we're going a little too far here. To me, it sounds a little ridiculous.

In order to fully be accepted to society it's going to take TIME. I say at least another generation or two.

...To speak in broader terms, I think all these "awareness months" are stupid to begin with. But that's just me.

BTW everyone: I consider myself fairly conservative, and I don't really view Obama as alienating me....Not all of us are homophobic, racist, religious war mongers.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 17th 2009, 01:01 AM

I didnt actually say if I had support for a pride month or not. I'm in the middle of my (exam) week of hell, so I didnt really have time to formulate a real post, just ideas like that, are annoying

When my exams are out the way, I might try write a post on different concepts of attitudes and attitude change (though if I manage to write one better then in my exam, I'll probably want to hit myself). But lots of things have different effects on this sort of stuff. Arguably, without really going into detail, as its 2am and I have a 9am exam, government (authoritatuve) support in such a direct way can have position effects (ok, it could also be negative due to dissonance)... fimilarity also helps... and if they are teaching it in schools, it may help before attitudes are crystalized in childhood. Yeah... I need to go back to revision.

For the record, still havent actually stated my view of a gay pride month.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 17th 2009, 01:41 AM

The funny thing is that he's the "Christian" president. Seems like he loses his beliefs once he stands before a pretty secular nation.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 17th 2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post
The funny thing is that he's the "Christian" president. Seems like he loses his beliefs once he stands before a pretty secular nation.
He may be a Christian president, but he is running a country with a vast number of people of all sorts of race, gender, and sexuality. Remember, not everyone in this nation is a Christian; it wouldn't be fair to ignore issues like gay marriage. In fact, I think this is a grand idea because with all of these states (esp. cali) turning down gay marriage, I'd feel pretty shitty about being gay. Time to get up and start being goddamn proud of your sexuality, regardless of who thinks you're in a handbasket to hell.

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 17th 2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
He's not losing his beliefs, he's respecting the fact that he is the head of a nation with a wide variety of beliefs. He is respecting the fact that his personal, religious beliefs should not stand in the way of human rights.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 17th 2009, 03:23 AM

Quote:
You don't have to believe in the anti-homosexuality clause to be Christian.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 17th 2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
Seconded x 1000000000000

Really, like my mom said, he can say that not everyone has the same beliefs as him, but his beliefs shouldn't hold back others from doing what they want. Everyone is supposed to have rights. Not just straight people.

And I like it because it brings awareness to LGBT, and really some kind of holiday type thing that fits ME. Though that does selfish, it's true.

-Robert Frost

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 17th 2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
No... But when you say you're a Christian and all this and that when you're running in an election, then your motives change...? Come on. The point I brought wasn't intended to do with homosexuality.

Ok, Let's rephrase this now that I saw many people quoted me.

I'm not bringing homosexuality up. That's not what's important. I understand what you guys are saying and I think you misunderstood... All the Christians were for Obama, they thought, "Oh, he's a Christian man, we're going to get our way." And then he's in an election and he does something like this. I agree with a president having a wide variety of acceptance, but I just don't like it when candidates turn on you, you know?

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."

Last edited by Algernon; June 17th 2009 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 17th 2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
No... But when you say you're a Christian and all this and that when you're running in an election, then your motives change...?
Welcome to POLITICS!!!!

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 17th 2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugez View Post
Welcome to POLITICS!!!!
Why thank you

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathlene

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 17th 2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
No... But when you say you're a Christian and all this and that when you're running in an election, then your motives change...? Come on. The point I brought wasn't intended to do with homosexuality.

I'm not bringing homosexuality up. That's not what's important. I understand what you guys are saying and I think you misunderstood... All the Christians were for Obama, they thought, "Oh, he's a Christian man, we're going to get our way." And then he's in an election and he does something like this. I agree with a president having a wide variety of acceptance, but I just don't like it when candidates turn on you, you know?
Actually he's always stated that he supports gay rights. Did you watch any of the pre-election debates? He doesn't support gay marriage, but gay pride month isn't specific to marriage. So he didn't turn on anyone at all. If people didn't pay attention properly to him or made assumptions based on his religion and now feel betrayed, that's their own fault.

It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)

Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 17th 2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:

First off, if you voted for a president merely for his religion? That's a problem in itself. Second, "our way" does not always mean anti-homosexuality no matter what religion. I know many many christians who could care less that I want to take the girls home with me instead of the guys.

I'm also not aware of how he turned on us? He's always been fairly clear on his homo-sexual views.

-Robert Frost

(#34 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Name: emerson

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 27th 2009, 03:53 PM

This makes me so happy. I'll pretend it's not about politics for a second: what a fantastic, lovely, decent thing to do.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
:hehe: Offline
Dulux Paint color chart.
Average Joe

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 28th 2009, 05:42 PM

I don't really understand why we have a pride month. I mean, I think it's great he's standing up for our rights, but really? Around where I live, it's not really accepted. Certain areas... Just no. There are hardcore flamers around here, and having a pride month is going to make them want to run around even more with rainbow flags, supporting their rights... And they're going to get decked in the face. This is just around where I live, I'm not sure about you guys. I'm not meaning this to be offensive or anything. Pretty much, This has got it's pros and cons.

[Jer] Oh. And I have a habit of attracting whales, too.
Anything that's sea-like. I'm like a gay aqua man.

[Jesmica] Mark makes me want to have lots of children.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 28th 2009, 07:01 PM

I think he's trying to draw attention away from the fact that he doesn't want gay people to marry. Yes, awareness is great, but I question the motives behind this.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#37 (permalink)) Old
slickguy55 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 28th 2009, 08:19 PM

Great. Way to be focused on the countries REAL problems Obama. Maybe instead of pondering what month to turn into gay pride month, you could ponder over the fact that you can't spend your way out of this economy.

I can not put into words how much I hate Obama. The list would be endless. I hate the man and everything he stands for. And before some idiot quotes me and says "You don't like what he stands for? You mean like no war, helping the poor, a great economy?" just know that is hardly what he stands for in reality.

(#38 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 29th 2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickguy55 View Post
Great. Way to be focused on the countries REAL problems Obama. Maybe instead of pondering what month to turn into gay pride month, you could ponder over the fact that you can't spend your way out of this economy.

I can not put into words how much I hate Obama. The list would be endless. I hate the man and everything he stands for. And before some idiot quotes me and says "You don't like what he stands for? You mean like no war, helping the poor, a great economy?" just know that is hardly what he stands for in reality.
You know, it's quite easy to ponder both. Governments can have more than one initiative at a time, and declaring this Gay Pride Month takes an absolute minimum of political effort. Politicians do this sort of thing in their sleep. So saying that getting a declaration approved detracts from his attempts to turn the economy around is pretty ludicrous.

Also, what does Obama stand for in reality? I can't wait to hear.

(#39 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 29th 2009, 03:52 AM

Never been a fan of these 'months' at all, but I guess it's kind of nice. Even though he is a democrat I am kind of surprised he did this, I thought he would just remain as moderate as possible.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#40 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Obama: Gay pride month. - June 29th 2009, 04:15 AM

Quote:

Oh no, not everyone is on the the poor little Christian side of things. However will our nation go on?

I can see where you're coming from though, but simply because Obama is a Christian does not mean that he does not support gay rights. If anyone chose to assume that then it's their own fault, not Obama's. Not every Christian is against gay rights, and not every Christian isn't. Obama's beliefs should not be restricted because he labels himself as a Christian, and I am glad that he chose to take act upon those beliefs even if he was worried he may lose some of his supporters. I think the important thing to think about is that he also gained many supporters as well.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

Closed Thread