TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 19th 2009, 08:40 AM

Aloha Everyone!!

I hope you're having a great day!!

IF North Korea launches a missile towards Hawaii - how should the U.S. respond?

Gates: U.S. ready against N. Korea strike - CNN.com

I'm going to assume that most of you would say, "By defending themselves!" [i.e. 'shooting down the missile BEFORE it reaches its target'] But should this all come to pass - should the U.S. do anything beyond merely stopping the missile? And what if they fail to do that and Hawaii is HIT?! Then what?!

I'd like to know what you think.

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 19th 2009, 11:45 AM

Maybe they should do nothing? Unless North Korea plans to splash down their test rocket in American Waters they shouldn't do anything. North Korea isn't going to try and hit Hawaii and I doubt a rocket is going to go anywhere near it. Sure maybe they'll fire it towards Hawaii but hey if i walk to one side of my room then I'm moving towards Hawaii too. Why exactly would North Korea be trying to provoke a volatile, reactionary and generally unthinking nuclear super-power into a war by blowing up an island that belongs to it? They might not like America but they're not stupid.

Of course if the rocket is designed to hit Hawaii (why would it be?) then the US should shoot it down. And then they should work together with China about it who would probably agree to help as their support for North Korea seems to rapidly dwindling. Any direct attack would just piss China off and result in a massive balls up of any Korean war just like last time.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 19th 2009, 12:08 PM

I don't think it will really happen ever.

But IF they do...I would take the troops, neutralize the country, and jail all leaders of the old government. Remove any possible military leaders from the country. Then let a new government take over. Unlike the middle-east, there is no extremism from religion that would cause an Iraq situation.

It might not work, the old rulers might come back somehow. If so, just let China/South Korea/Japan have complete dominance over them.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 19th 2009, 02:38 PM

Once North Korea attacks any Allie or American land is when we attack them not when missiles not able to reach American territory.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Thumbs down Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 19th 2009, 05:21 PM

I know what Obama will do...

HE will just go to North Korea and do campagn speaches, and say

YES WE CAN, and CHANGE!

HE will post his youtube videos in Korean and then delete all negative comments like in his campaign.

The messiah will change there minds and join the great US communist regime and peace and love will be restored in the planet.

YES WE CAN?!?!tongue

(#6 (permalink)) Old
slickguy55 Offline
Average Joe

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 19th 2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb View Post

YES WE CAN, and CHANGE!

HE will post his youtube videos in Korean and then delete all negative comments like in his campaign.

The messiah will change there minds and join the great US communist regime and peace and love will be restored in the planet.

YES WE CAN?!?!tongue
lol Exactly what I was gonna say.

If Hawaii got attacked, our response should be Congress declaring war on North Korea. In this event, we should send troops, and establish a war Headquarters in South Korea, and attack from there. And when we are done, North Korea would be destroyed, the land formally known as North Korea would be controlled by South Korea as a new combined nation called simply "Korea". I don't see any other option in this scenario.

However, like Tomb said, nothing would get done with Obama in office. Instead of war, he would try to have a "sit down" with Kim Jong Il to discuss peace. Kim Jong Il would laugh at him, deny his request, and America would get attacked again.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 19th 2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickguy55 View Post
However, like Tomb said, nothing would get done with Obama in office. Instead of war, he would try to have a "sit down" with Kim Jong Il to discuss peace. Kim Jong Il would laugh at him, deny his request, and America would get attacked again.
Why do you say that? Just because Obama wants to leave Iraq? Because he doesn't like war? I don't know any president in our nation's history that would do anything but attack North Korea. And that's definitely what we should do.

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 19th 2009, 10:05 PM

I suppose a war would break out. But I think there would need to be some sort of justification first. Clinton would need to try to work things out with them.

While this is happening, FEMA, needs to get into Hawaii and sort out the chaos there.

I'm thinking that Obama will take a approach like FDR did with pearl harbour.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Incompris Offline
Isaiah 40:30-31
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Chandler

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 19th 2009, 10:15 PM

We already have bases and soldiers stationed in South Korea, so we will probably build up the number we have there and attack. The only problems I have with this though, is some of the soldiers stationed there took their families with them to live on the military bases. I think we should pull all the families out, but since they are all there by choice and "illegally" somehow, I doubt that would happen. And we are still in Afghanistan and Iraq, and according to my dad and many other officers I know, North Korea is "scarier" than both.

I don't think we should just ignore it if and when North Korea attack us. What kind of message would that send? "Attack us all you want, we'll do nothing!"

We were made to be courageous.

Everybody falls sometimes
Gotta find the strength to rise
From the ashes and make a new beginning
Anyone can feel the ache
You think itís more than you can take
But you're stronger, stronger than you know
Donít you give up now
The sun will soon be shining
You gotta face the clouds
To find the silver lining

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 19th 2009, 10:19 PM

If they do attack the US, I don't think the country should idly sit by and let them do it again, and I honestly doubt Obama would ignore a nuclear weapon being dropped on Hawaii - or any other part of the country. But at the same time, they shouldn't start a hostile invasion based on paranoia that they might invade the US first - we've seen how well paranoid wars over terrorism pan out.

In a more practical sense, exactly how many wars can America fight at once? There are limited numbers of soldiers and materials, and spreading them thinly does nothing to help.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 19th 2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
If they do attack the US, I don't think the country should idly sit by and let them do it again, and I honestly doubt Obama would ignore a nuclear weapon being dropped on Hawaii - or any other part of the country. But at the same time, they shouldn't start a hostile invasion based on paranoia that they might invade the US first - we've seen how well paranoid wars over terrorism pan out.
Of course we shouldn't attack them without provocation.

Quote:
In a more practical sense, exactly how many wars can America fight at once? There are limited numbers of soldiers and materials, and spreading them thinly does nothing to help.
Obama is removing troops from Iraq. And if North Korea attacks, we should have an immediate withdrawal from Iraq and focus on N. Korea.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 19th 2009, 10:57 PM

I'm getting sick of that little midget, get rid of him.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 20th 2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE View Post
I'm getting sick of that little midget, get rid of him.

I think soon he will step down and one of his sons will take over.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 20th 2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
I think soon he will step down and one of his sons will take over.

Let's hope the apple will fall far from the tree, but I doubt it.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
slickguy55 Offline
Average Joe

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 20th 2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post
Why do you say that? Just because Obama wants to leave Iraq? Because he doesn't like war? I don't know any president in our nation's history that would do anything but attack North Korea. And that's definitely what we should do.
lol read the news much? Those troops that Obama "pulled out of Iraq" aren't going anywhere. Obama just approved sending 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan, many of those troops are coming from Iraq.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 20th 2009, 03:39 AM

Quote:
lol read the news much? Those troops that Obama "pulled out of Iraq" aren't going anywhere. Obama just approved sending 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan, many of those troops are coming from Iraq.
Hm...so, criticize him for leaving troops in Iraq to fight the ongoing war, but if he refuses to start a war in NK, he's a completely useless idiot who needs to be taken out of office. Makes sense.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 20th 2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Which makes sense, considering there actually is a terrorist organization in Afrghanistan

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 20th 2009, 03:46 AM

Iran is also a terrorist hideout along with pakistan.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 20th 2009, 05:39 AM

If NK decides to start sending off rockets or nukes to Hawaii, I doubt the US will just lay back and ignore part of their country being blasted. Obama would probably do some pointless negotiating that would drag on and on. My guess is that NK's attack(s) would be blocked by the US and Obama would do some negotiating. I don't know about Obama but the US citizens and possibly the Canadian ones would want Obama to do something. If NK does decide to continue, them I'm sure that the US would fire back along with some other of its allies. Perhaps SK would hop into the mix too and NK would be more or less in shit unless they back off.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
slickguy55 Offline
Average Joe

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 20th 2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
Hm...so, criticize him for leaving troops in Iraq to fight the ongoing war, but if he refuses to start a war in NK, he's a completely useless idiot who needs to be taken out of office. Makes sense.
Yes, he would be an idiot if he didn't go to war with NK, if they attacked Hawaii. I have made that very clear, and you followed it, great.

I am not criticizing the fact that there are troops in the middle east. I'm criticizing the fact that he is a hypocrite. Do you get that?

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 26th 2009, 12:38 AM

I don't think they have a missile that could reach that far.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 26th 2009, 01:29 AM

Would Kim Jong-Il really be that stupid?

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 26th 2009, 02:37 AM

Yea he wants to piss Obama off.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 26th 2009, 03:04 AM

If North Korea Attacks Hawaii, then America will probably attack back. Hawaii is a State, and the U.S takes care of it's own. Hopefully North Korea has the sense not to attack the U.S, if not, well I guess it means we have another war.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 26th 2009, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb View Post

YES WE CAN, and CHANGE!

YES WE CAN?!?!tongue
*rolls eyes*

If a state is attacked, why wouldn't it defend it's ground? Obviously not by "shooting the rocket", but they wouldn't just sit there and take it..

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If Iím alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
Iíll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 26th 2009, 03:58 AM

Lol That's what Dems do they don't believe in war.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
onesadgummybear Offline
~Im a mouse. Duh!~
Not a n00b

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 26th 2009, 04:06 AM

well i dont know what Obama would do if this happened but what the U.S. should do if we got attacked my NK well we should get them back like really hit them hard and really mess them up bomb the hell out of them then ask them nicely to leave us alone their answer wont really matter much though.

~There's a 30% chance that it's already raining!~

Official member of the completely Unofficial free hugs Club !

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: How Should the U.S. Respond IF North Korea ATTACKS Hawaii?! - June 26th 2009, 06:08 AM

Well, up to this point, all of North Korea's rocket launches have been spectacular failures, so I'm not incredibly worried. They know better than to send a rocket at Hawaii. Despite all of the rhetoric, North Korea could not withstand a retaliation by just about all of the armed Western nations in the U.N., which is exactly what would happen if they tried to attack the U.S. or South Korea.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
Closed Thread