TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Manarius Offline
More than meets the eye
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jason

So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 20th 2009, 01:38 AM

Wrong. At least, according to California.

Calif regulators find pot smoke causes cancer - Yahoo! News
Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO – Marijuana smoke has joined tobacco smoke and hundreds of other chemicals on a list of substances California regulators say cause cancer. The ruling Friday by the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment likely will force pot shops with 10 or more employees to post warnings. Final guidelines are expected by the time warning requirements take effect in a year.
The listing only applies to marijuana smoke, not the plant itself.
Spokesman Sam Delson says the state agency found marijuana smoke contains 33 of the same harmful chemicals as tobacco smoke.
Delson says the findings came from a review of more than 30 scientific papers.
California's Proposition 65 requires businesses to warn consumers of chemicals that cause cancer or reproductive harm.
Or, in the UK: Chemicals in Marijuana Smoke May Harm DNA - Yahoo! News
Quote:
FRIDAY, June 19 (HealthDay News) -- The smoke from cannabis, the plant from which marijuana is derived, contains compounds that can damage DNA and increase the risk of cancer just like tobacco smoke, says a new study from the United Kingdom.
In laboratory tests, Rajinder Singh from the University of Leicester and colleagues found certain carcinogens in cannabis smoke in amounts 50 percent greater than those found in tobacco smoke. They noted that light cannabis use could possibly prove to be even more damaging because cannabis smokers usually inhale more deeply than cigarette smokers....
Note: I don't frankly care about legalization of Marijuana. It can be 100% legal for all I care. However, don't turn this thread into another pot argument. It appears to be clear though that Marijuana smoke is dangerous in a similar manner to Tobacco smoke, so there goes that argument for pot.
 Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
lvpeyton Offline
stronger than yesterday
Average Joe

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 20th 2009, 04:27 AM

yeah, everyone i know says it damages your lungs and stuff less. now pot doesn't even have that.

wow, that is weird. stuff we never really knew...

"All these short times feel like no time, I thought you ought to know."

“Sometimes you have to forget about what you want, and remember what you deserve.”

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 20th 2009, 04:29 AM

Just be smart and stay away from marijuana.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 20th 2009, 02:26 PM

Everything causes cancer, red dye causes cancer, and apparently dogs cause breast cancer. I'm not that surprised.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 20th 2009, 02:43 PM

Weed in labratory settings is less harmless, because the scientist can make there own blunts, with well just the grass

Weed from drug dealers are even more harmful. Because they are full of additives to make it more addictive/filler/tasty?/cheaper/larger/fresher?/ect and drug dealers are not know to be scientist who needs a clean sterile enviroment. Scientist actually washes their equipment... how about drug dealers?

Drug dealers products are full of crap so watch out. These reports are problem not as accurate as u think it is. Because the street drugs are not regulated therefore your more likely to get harmed in ways you cannot imagine.

The bottom line is drugs are bad, they waste your life, wallet, time and reputation.

I never have done it and never will. I look down at those who do or have done it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 20th 2009, 03:39 PM

Wow, 33? You know there are like hundreds of dangerous chemicals in tobbacco? As a smoker, all I can say is whatever. If people only do it occassionally, it probably wont do anything.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
mr_null Offline
Formerly known as mr_null
Average Joe

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 23rd 2009, 04:19 PM

Marijuana smoke is certainly not harmless, however there have been many studies that have shown just the opposite as well:

Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection - washingtonpost.com

Marijuana is pretty safe to smoke.

Last edited by Lizzie; June 24th 2009 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Edited out rude comments.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 23rd 2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb View Post
The bottom line is drugs are bad, they waste your life, wallet, time and reputation.
TV wastes your life, wallet, time, and reputation as well. But that's okay, right?

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#9 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 23rd 2009, 07:00 PM

of course weed isn't harmless. to be honest i've given up caring if other people want to smoke, be it cigarettes or weed.. it's their decision really.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 24th 2009, 04:15 AM

I have an idea! How about everyone who smokes marijuana eats 4000 pomegranates. That'll reverse the damage, right?

...Right?

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 24th 2009, 09:19 PM

33 chemicals? Woooooow.

There are over 4000 chemicals in cigarettes. The biggest of those being Arsenic. Do you know what arsenic does to carbon based lifeforms such as us? It kills us. It's our natural poison.

There's also formaldehyde (embalming fluid), benzene (chemical found in gasoline and pesticides), Cadmium (heavy metal found in batteries), Ammonia, Cyanide, Carbon Monoxide, DDT, Polonium... yadda yadda, basically its a miracle how all of these chemicals in your system at once wont drop you immediately upon inhalation.

But it's clearly safer and better than marijuana, so keep it legal.

Also, what if you don't like pomegranates?

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 24th 2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
Just be smart and stay away from marijuana.

You said it, I second it.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 24th 2009, 10:08 PM

Eating too much food can kill you. Not enough food can kill you. Smoking can kill you. Sitting in front of a computer can kill you. If they want to live as long as possible and spend hours analyzing their food with computer programs to ensure they have the perfect meal with all the nutrients it can have while maintaining 1/2 of what is recommended just to prolong their lifespan, then let them (note: real diet, but it takes a lot of effort and is done under the careful watch of a doctor). I say let people do what floats their boat.

Beware of the cats.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 25th 2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_null View Post
Marijuana smoke is certainly not harmless, however there have been many studies that have shown just the opposite as well:

Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection - washingtonpost.com

Marijuana is pretty safe to smoke.

Hmmm..

Weed leads too testicle cancer.
CTV.ca | Marijuana linked to higher risk of testicular cancer

"...dramatically increase a man's risk of developing the most aggressive form of testicular cancer, a new study suggests. Researchers at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center found that being a marijuana user at the time of diagnosis was linked with a 70 per cent increased risk of testicular cancer."

Damages your DNA and potential cancer problems
Marijuana Damages DNA And May Cause Cancer
Marijuana Damages DNA and May Cause Cancer - Yahoo! News

Of course its healthy if you like ur balls off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
TV wastes your life, wallet, time, and reputation as well. But that's okay, right?

Last time I check lack of self control is pretty much what causes people to fail in life.

Like the inablity to stop breaking the law to use drugs.

Whats the point of using weed? Too feel good?? Some people think killing feels good?

How about rapeing?? isnt raping suppose to feel good because its sex? But its illegal aint it???

Bottom line is Drugs are illegal Tv isnt. There is a big gap.

TV and weed are not clearly not the same. One is legal the other 1 isnt.

Street weed is bad, alot of crime is associated with it.

IF people hate to buy, cheap chinese labour. cuz of the unethical problems that came with it and blood diamonds well u hippies gotta consider the ruined families, chemicals and questional practices(violance, ect..) that goes behind it.

Last edited by Tomb; June 25th 2009 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Santeria Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Jeremy

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 25th 2009, 02:32 AM

meh, I'm not considering weed dangerous until it's the direct cause of thousands of deaths. You know, like every other drug.

PM me, I'm bored

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 25th 2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb View Post
Last time I check lack of self control is pretty much what causes people to fail in life.

Whats the point of using weed? Too feel good?? Some people think killing feels good?

How about rapeing?? isnt raping suppose to feel good because its sex? But its illegal aint it???
Rape is wrong because it directly hurts other people. Weed is fine because the person chooses to 'hurt' (lol) themselves.

Quote:

Street weed is bad, alot of crime is associated with it.

IF people hate to buy, cheap chinese labour. cuz of the unethical problems that came with it and blood diamonds well u hippies gotta consider the ruined families, chemicals and questional practices(violance, ect..) that goes behind it.
Yep, we always should follow government rules because the government is never wrong and it's always bad to do illegal things. I should have realized this...

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Sparks Offline
Batteries Not Included
Average Joe

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 25th 2009, 04:26 AM

Pot smokers know it causes cancer, we just don't give a shit.

"How can you get a goose out of a bottle?"
Imagine that a baby gosling was placed inside one of those big glass bottles with a little opening that you see model ships in, and raised inside, until it is fully grown and can no longer fit out through the neck of the bottle. How can you get the goose out of the bottle? Without hurting/killing the goose.

If i don't respond, it's because you haven't said anything.

Pain is momentary media is Eternal
http://www.myspace.com/MandaG01

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 25th 2009, 04:54 PM

All I can say is that I absolutely despise being part of the scientific community when we're told how many things cause cancer.
Cabbage does apparently. Frankly, the chace of getting cancer from pot or cabbage etc, is minute, yes it can. But what percentage of the time? Out of one hundred, how many will get cancer, and generally, the number for new cancinogenics is small. Using words like 'dramatically increases' and 'high chance' is not statistics that I will believe. Give me a scientific experiment involving people over a long period of time for carcinogenics, and I'd be more willing to believe.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 25th 2009, 05:05 PM

Wait? Haven't there been multiple studies that show no link to cancer and some that even show that marijuana is GOOD at fighting certain cancer growth. Then one study comes along and says there is a link and poof, good bye all the other research.

Also, this study (if it is correct) is irrelevant if marijuana users use a vaporizer.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - June 25th 2009, 06:00 PM

Apparently Diet Coke causes cancer, Cabbage causes cancer.

There are hundereds of things that are bad for you. Theres no point in being uptight about absolutely everything. It's all about personal preference. I think; if you want to smoke weed, go for it. Let life take it's course.

Quote:

The legality of weed has nothing to do with this debate and neither does rape - they are not connected.
And you said about killing feeling good?
As far as i know - weed is yet to kill anyone.

Last edited by Keep Calm and Eat Cake; June 25th 2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: So, Marijuana smoke is harmless right? - July 9th 2009, 03:13 AM

I think if people want to mess up their bodies and their lives by using drugs, then it's their prerogative. But they should do so in a setting where the smoke won't come in contact with people who don't want contact with it.

If marijuana becomes legal in the US, restrictions should obviously be put in place as to where people are allowed to smoke it. (As in, not around children and only in private rooms and whatnot.)

I'm a "just say no" kind of girl, and it's obvious that smoke of any kind can cause serious damage, but if the people are willing adults then it's their business and not mine. Same thing with cigarettes. As long as they don't smoke indoors or around children I may be pissed that they are messing up their bodies, but it's their choice.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

Closed Thread