TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts


Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!



Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while
********
 
TigerTank77's Avatar
 
Name: Ben
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: NY

Posts: 1,534
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Drug Testing for Welfare/ Food Stamps - August 14th 2009, 03:27 AM

So, there's a quiz on facebook about this, and I figured I'd bring it here so there can actually be a discussion.

Do you think that there should be mandatory drug testing for applicants of Welfare and Food stamps?



In my opinion, I think it should be implemented. If you have to get a test done so you can legally work, then it should apply to this as well. Mostly because I don't like the idea of government money funding people's drug habits, ya know?


Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.





  Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
CROSSBOW Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
CROSSBOW's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,807
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Drug Testing for Welfare/ Food Stamps - August 14th 2009, 03:36 AM

I think there should be more restrictions on what people can purchase.


  Send a message via AIM to CROSSBOW  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Khadra's Avatar
 
Name: Kathlene
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Location: Lima, Peru

Posts: 738
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Drug Testing for Welfare/ Food Stamps - August 14th 2009, 03:36 AM

As long as the goverment funds rehabilitation programs for willing drug addicts, then I'm all for it.


It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)


Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
star_crossd's Avatar
 
Name: Sam
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Location: AZ

Posts: 781
Join Date: January 15th 2009

Re: Drug Testing for Welfare/ Food Stamps - August 14th 2009, 03:45 AM

Yeah, I definitely think so. Some people take advantage of the system designed simply to help them get back on their feet. Theres no reason for the government to give money to people who waste it on drugs and crap.


Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.


Music is life. Start living.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MechanicGodCreation's Avatar
 

Posts: 290
Join Date: March 29th 2009

Re: Drug Testing for Welfare/ Food Stamps - August 14th 2009, 04:15 AM

Eh, I'm on the fence on this one. Welfare maybe, because then the government is funding the drugs directly. But food stamps... people just need to eat?

Unless they are the same thing and I'm totally out in left field here.
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
slickguy55 Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
slickguy55's Avatar
 

Posts: 151
Join Date: June 17th 2009

Re: Drug Testing for Welfare/ Food Stamps - August 14th 2009, 05:53 AM

I think thats a great idea. And the cost of the drug tests probably wouldn't require more money from tax payers because they can use the money they save from the disqualified people (who failed the drug test) in order to pay for it.

And I disagree with whoever said "as long as the government pays for rehab for those who fail" I think that would be absolutely outrageous.
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough
*********
 
Casey.'s Avatar
 
Name: Casey
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in my mind

Posts: 2,357
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Drug Testing for Welfare/ Food Stamps - August 14th 2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
I think there should be more restrictions on what people can purchase.
O.o There are restrictions on what Food Stamps will cover. It doesn't cover paper products, animal food, or things like that.Here, it's pretty strict on what you can buy.

Yes, drug testing would be nice. However, what's to say they don't start drugs after getting Welfare? Or, there are ways to pass a drug test, what's to say they won't do that?


She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.


Smile through the tears.


PM me

  Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Khadra's Avatar
 
Name: Kathlene
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Location: Lima, Peru

Posts: 738
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Drug Testing for Welfare/ Food Stamps - August 14th 2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickguy55 View Post
And I disagree with whoever said "as long as the government pays for rehab for those who fail" I think that would be absolutely outrageous.
Would you care to explain WHY you think that would be outrageous?


It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)


Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
slickguy55 Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
slickguy55's Avatar
 

Posts: 151
Join Date: June 17th 2009

Re: Drug Testing for Welfare/ Food Stamps - August 14th 2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadra View Post
Would you care to explain WHY you think that would be outrageous?
Because its not the governments problem. It would be a waste of money, contradicting a major point of drug testing for welfare.

Not to mention, it would be pointless. The justice system sentences people to AA classes and rehab all of the time, and it rarely works. The addicts aren't going to put their heart and soul into a recovery process designed by the government. So it would just be a waste of money, and it isn't their problem.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Mizu-Kun (Saito)'s Spouse
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
PhoenixAlive's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Age: 23
Gender: Trans
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 631
Join Date: January 10th 2009

Re: Drug Testing for Welfare/ Food Stamps - August 14th 2009, 08:16 PM

Definitely think drug testing should be mandatory. If people are going to waste their welfare check on drugs instead of living essentials, then they are also wasting the public's money. Why should we help those who refuse to help themselves?
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while
********
 
Through-Glass's Avatar
 
Name: Jessi
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Location: Eastern Tennessee

Posts: 1,328
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Drug Testing for Welfare/ Food Stamps - August 14th 2009, 08:59 PM

I do believe that any welfare program that gives money directly to a person (such as Energy Assistance) should require a drug test. It is not wise to give cash to someone who may only use it to harm themselves. However, if the applicant does not pass the drug test, I think that they should be offered treatment; after a treatment program is complete, they should be elligable once more for assistance.

However, things such as Food Stamps and Housing Programs should be open to anyone who needs it. I do not think a person should be starved or left homeless simply because they made a mistake; in addition, many people who apply for welfare have children and families. I do not believe a family should be punished just because one of them made a mistake.




"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Khadra's Avatar
 
Name: Kathlene
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Location: Lima, Peru

Posts: 738
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Drug Testing for Welfare/ Food Stamps - August 14th 2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickguy55 View Post
Because its not the governments problem. It would be a waste of money, contradicting a major point of drug testing for welfare.
It's not a contradiction to drug testing because the government giving welfare to drug addicts is enabling their drug addiction, which is very unhelpful. Rehab IS helpful for drug addicts.

It's not the government's problem? So you think it's okay to just leave drug addicts without help until they eventually die? A drug addiction isn't something people can just quit cold turkey. They need help and support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickguy55 View Post
Not to mention, it would be pointless. The justice system sentences people to AA classes and rehab all of the time, and it rarely works. The addicts aren't going to put their heart and soul into a recovery process designed by the government. So it would just be a waste of money, and it isn't their problem.
People like to eat regularly and have a place to live. If you tell people that them being sober can get them those things and that you're going to offer treatment, they are likely to work hard in treatment. Of course some people will slip up and some people will go back to their addiction, but it would help a lot of people.

That's the only way it's fair to deny drug addicts welfare anyway. They need help to get better. If you're not going to offer them help so they can get better, how can you expect them to be sober?


It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)


Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
drug, food, stamps, testing, welfare, welfare or

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All material copyright ©1998-2014, TeenHelp Inc. All rights reserved.
TeenHelp Inc. is a registered 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organisation in the United States of America.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.