TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 12:23 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...ize/index.html

(CNN) -- President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday, a stunning decision that comes just eight months into his presidency.

Less than nine months into his presidency, Barack Obama has been awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee said it honored Obama for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

The president had not been mentioned as among front-runners for the prize, and the roomful of reporters gasped when Thorbjorn Jagland, chairman of the Nobel committee, uttered Obama's name.

The president, who was awakened to be told he had won, said he was humbled to be selected, according to an administration official.

The Nobel committee recognized Obama's efforts to solve complex global problems including working toward a world free of nuclear weapons.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said.

Jagland said the decision was "unanimous" and came with ease.

He rejected the notion that Obama had been recognized prematurely for his efforts and said the committee wanted to promote the president just it had Mikhail Gorbachev in 1990 in his efforts to open up the Soviet Union.

"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population," it said.

Obama's recognition comes less than a year after he became the first African-American to win the White House. He is the fourth U.S. president to win the prestigious prize and the third sitting president to do so.

The announcement Friday in Oslo, Norway, came as a surprise -- Obama had not been mentioned among front-runners -- and the roomful of reporters gasped when Thorbjorn Jagland, chairman of the Nobel committee, announced Obama's name.

Jagland said the decision was unanimous and came with ease.

He rejected the notion that Obama had been recognized prematurely for his efforts and said the committee wanted to promote the president just it had Mikhail Gorbachev in 1990 in his efforts to open up the Soviet Union.

Jagland said he hoped the prize would help Obama resolve the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Listen to Jagland explain why Obama was this year's choice »

Former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari, last year's laureate, said it was clear the Nobel committee wanted to encourage Obama on the issues he has been discussing on the world stage.

"I see this as an important encouragement," Ahtisaari said.

The committee wanted to be "far more daring" than in recent times and make an impact on global politics, said Kristian Berg Harpviken, director of the International Peace Research Institute.

And Wangari Muta Maathai, the Kenyan environmentalist who won the 2004 Peace Prize, said the win for Obama, whose father was Kenyan, would help Africa move forward.

"I think it is extraordinary," she said. "It will be even greater inspiration for the world. He has shown how we can probably come together, work together in a cooperative way."

The award comes at a crucial time for Obama, who has initiated peace missions to key parts of the globe.

Obama's envoy to the Middle East, George Mitchell, has returned to the region to advocate for peace negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians. Mitchell met Thursday with Israeli President Shimon Peres. He plans to meet Friday with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu before talking with Palestinian leaders in the West Bank.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton starts a six-day trip to Europe and Russia on Friday. On the trip, the secretary will discuss the next steps on Iran and North Korea, and international efforts to have the two countries end their nuclear programs.

The centerpiece of the trip will be her visit to Moscow, where she will work toward an agreement to take the place of the Start II arms control pact, which expires December 5. She also will address the new bilateral presidential commission that is working on a broad range of issues, from arms control to health.

Mohamed ElBaradei, who won the 2005 peace prize for his efforts to prevent nuclear energy being used for military means, said Obama deserved to win for his efforts to bring Iran to the table for direct nuclear talks with the United States.

"I could not think of anybody who is more deserving," said ElBaradei, the chief of the International Atomic Energy Agency. Listen to ElBaradei react to the announcement »

As the news of Obama's win broke online, postings on social network sites Twitter and Facebook expressed surprise. Many started with the word: Wow.

The last sitting U.S. president to win the peace prize was Woodrow Wilson in 1919. The other was Theodore Roosevelt in 1906. Jimmy Carter had been out of office for more than two decades when he won in 2002.

This year's Peace Prize nominees included 172 people -- among them three Chinese dissidents, an Afghan activist and a controversial Colombian lawmaker -- and 33 organizations, the highest number of nominations ever.

The deadline for nominations must be postmarked by February 1 each year. Obama was inaugurated on January 20.

The Nobel recipient receives a prize of about $1.4 million.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 02:42 PM

A weird choice for sure, but I can see the reasoning behind the decision.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 03:06 PM

Different.. But well done to him Shocked me to hear it to be honest...

Quote:
The president, who was awakened to be told he had won, said he was humbled to be selected, according to an administration official.
How weird would that be!?

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
newbie552 Offline
choose wisely
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Robin

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 03:18 PM

he is a good guy but I'm really surprised by it. It is nice that he got it but isn't it a bit early?

You're amazing just the way you are

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 03:39 PM

I think others have done more who deserve it more then Obama.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
I agree /: But congrats to him I guess.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 04:29 PM

Well, he's the messiah!

What else did you expect?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 04:43 PM

what i think is a bit ridiculous is that he got nominated back in february when he hadn't even been in the job 2 weeks. there are other far more deserving people in my opinion.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 04:47 PM

How did Obama get a Nobel Peace Prize when Gandhi hasn't even gotten one? I wanna see Obama DO something to prove he deserved it.

I'm still shocked over how Obama wanted the Olympics in the US during our economic struggles and now THIS. Pathetic.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#10 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefaithlove View Post
I'm still shocked over how Obama wanted the Olympics in the US during our economic struggles and now THIS. Pathetic.
You're right, how could creating tens of thousands jobs and restoring a feeling of national pride do anything good for the country?

Anyway, I lost faith in the Nobel Committee after they gave Arafat a fucking prize. Yeah, way to go guys, robbing his "people" of millions of dollars and telling them to strop bombs to their chest is clearly a peaceful message.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 04:55 PM

well at least now if he gets involved in more conflict and sends more troops to war he'll look like a hypocrite after winning a prize for 'peace.'

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#12 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
You're right, how could creating tens of thousands jobs and restoring a feeling of national pride do anything good for the country?
I didn't say anything about national pride for the country. It would be awesome to have the Olympics here. But realistically, we are in debt and China is helping us financially. The thing that would hurt the US is all of the money it costs to plan and prepare. Yes, it would create jobs and bring in tourists, but still not worth getting more into debt for when the Olympics have never been in Brazil.

SH Free since 10.20.08

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 05:32 PM

Olympics is the last thing Obama needs to worry about.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Rican Roll Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post

Anyway, I lost faith in the Nobel Committee after they gave Arafat a fucking prize. Yeah, way to go guys, robbing his "people" of millions of dollars and telling them to strop bombs to their chest is clearly a peaceful message.
Montreal is still paying off their debt from the Olympics. Yea, we'd have tons of jobs for the next 4 years, then we'd be shit out of luck again.

Obama isn't some hero, he's a person just like us. As such, he can be just as stupid. The Olympics wouldn't have been some magical solution, it would most likely have dug us a deeper hole.

Also, I call bullocks on this award. The man hasn't done **** yet. Since when do we give out Nobel Peace Prizes for intentions.

Your life is yours alone, rise up and live it.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 06:01 PM

I was surprised to hear it, but I hope he makes a concious effort not to be a hypocrite. Like Elle said, he'll look so stupid if he now sends out loads of troops etc.
I think there were better candidates tbh, and if he was gonna get it they should have waited to see his plans put into action.

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 06:04 PM

Their reasoning makes sense.

Would Ghandi even want a prize?

And also, the next Olympics are in the UK in 2012. So by the time you even potentially could next host the Olympics, the chances are, the US would be out of reccession The recession is not predicted to last that long. You'd have more money. The UK, on the other hand, are having to deal with the Olympics during the reccession.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Faye. Offline
maybe this time...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Faye

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 07:54 PM

It's a bit ridiculous to be honest, makes me give the nobel prize less respect. Like Elle said he had only been President for 2 weeks when he was nominated.

Feel free to PM me

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think its forever
-Carl Sagan

Send a message via MSN to Faye. Send a message via Skype™ to Faye. 
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Magicalisland Offline
Human being
Junior TeenHelper

Name: E. Brill

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 08:13 PM

I'm not sure it was the best choice but Hey, he's the best president I think the USA has had and I like him.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
I agree. He hasn't done anything that great yet.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 10:04 PM

I don't know if I'd give him the Nobel, but I'd give him an award for sticking to the plan. I'd go nuts if someone called me the Anti-Christ.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 10:19 PM

I'd say that the committee might have given the award to Obama, among other reasons, to try to stir a little pride in confidence in Americans; but they're a smarter lot than that. Everyone knows this will just get more griping from the gripe gallery, because wouldn't it be unprecedented if an American president actually did something praiseworthy for a change. :/

Still, this is well-deserved kudos to Obama. The man's already done more in half a year than most people do in half a lifetime, with several times more than that already lined up.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 10:29 PM

Awww yes spending the most money out of any pres makes him worthy of this award

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 11:13 PM

Mheh I'm not really a fan of Obama. From what I've heard he made all these promises of changing the country but so far hasn't done anything about them. I'm sure there were better nominees for the prize though.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 9th 2009, 11:31 PM

I think that no one should be shocked or surprised when one wins a Nobel Prize. Seems like too many people had no idea this was coming.... for a good reason.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 10th 2009, 12:42 AM

I'm going to cure cancer, end world hunger and make the Arabs and Jews friends. Where's my Nobel Peace Price?

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#26 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 10th 2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post
I'm going to cure cancer, end world hunger and make the Arabs and Jews friends. Where's my Nobel Peace Price?
Haha, exactly.

SH Free since 10.20.08

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 10th 2009, 01:54 AM

Way too early imo. Historically, I think they give too many to Americans anyways.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#28 (permalink)) Old
WhySoSerious? Offline
Mute Poet
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Vicki

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 10th 2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugez View Post
Well, he's the messiah!

What else did you expect?
That was my reaction when I was told as well I saw a long way off that something like this would happen, people really do seem to believe he's Jesus or something.

~Where death is I am not, where I am death is not, so we never meet~

I'd rather die terrified

than live forever.
We will all die so gloriously, that having ever lived will seem like folly.
-Asofterworld

Send a message via MSN to WhySoSerious?  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Kadster Offline
Adam/Eve not Adam/Steve!!!
Not a n00b

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 10th 2009, 10:13 AM

God.... I can't beleive the stupidity of this, I mean first the EU and their Pollution Taxes, then we have Isreal banging on our door every other week for help, and now Obama get's an award for peace? I would have given it to Hitler and Stalin, then maybe Napolean, oh and let us not forget our good friends in the Catholic Church for their peceful crusades, ahh but seriously, he has done nothing useful while in office. I can't beleive people rallied behind such a man, by god what is the world coming to. W. Bush was out best president by far, then in last Obama just stole it from Clinton.

Please enjoy a collection of classic music from the homeland!

Die Deutsche Armee ist mein Held

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 10th 2009, 10:19 AM

I guess they give it to anyone these days.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 10th 2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadster View Post
God.... I can't beleive the stupidity of this, I mean first the EU and their Pollution Taxes, then we have Isreal banging on our door every other week for help, and now Obama get's an award for peace? I would have given it to Hitler and Stalin, then maybe Napolean, oh and let us not forget our good friends in the Catholic Church for their peceful crusades, ahh but seriously, he has done nothing useful while in office. I can't beleive people rallied behind such a man, by god what is the world coming to. W. Bush was out best president by far, then in last Obama just stole it from Clinton.
Ignoring the ignorence of the rest of your reply, how are the EU pollution taxes bad (other than innefective)?
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 10th 2009, 06:34 PM

He doesn't deserve it. He's done nothing -to- deserve it. They gave him the prize for what he's promised, not what he's done.
Intentions and promises mean nothing until something actually gets done. Otherwise, it's just an empty promise that leaves everyone disappointed.
He's a -politician.- Every American politician makes empty promises they can't keep just so they can either get in office or stay in office. It's ridiculous. I despise liars, plain and simple.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 10th 2009, 09:44 PM

There are so many people and organizations who deserve that prize so much more.

Obama hasn't even done that much.Just because he says he wants to do these things doe not mean that he will.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Kadster Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 10th 2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
Ignoring the ignorence of the rest of your reply, how are the EU pollution taxes bad (other than innefective)?
The fact that global warming is a hoax, and that the EU is just nother way of imposing Socialism on nations. I reccomend you go read "An Inconvenient Book" before talking about global warming as if it were some threat.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 10th 2009, 09:53 PM

Kadster, Explain Temps rising and glaciers melting at fast rates?

(#36 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 10th 2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
The fact that global warming is a hoax, and that the EU is just nother way of imposing Socialism on nations. I reccomend you go read "An Inconvenient Book" before talking about global warming as if it were some threat.
Tell me, what is wrong with some socialist policies being implemented into a government?

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#37 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathlene

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 10th 2009, 10:27 PM

I think Obama has great intentions, but I don't think he's actually accomplished enough to deserve the Nobel Peace Prize.

Quote:

Why would the scientific community play a hoax on the world's population? That seems pretty far-fetched to me. And what does Glenn Beck know about global warming? Is he a scientist? No! Also, even if there were no global warming, it's still important to protect our environment.

It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)

Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3

(#38 (permalink)) Old
Kadster Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 10th 2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadra View Post
Why would the scientific community play a hoax on the world's population?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Inconvenient_Book

(#39 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathlene

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 10th 2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I read the link, but I don't get where you're going with it. What's your point?

It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)

Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3

(#40 (permalink)) Old
Kadster Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Barack Obama: Nobel Peace Prize Winner - October 11th 2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadra View Post

I read the link, but I don't get where you're going with it. What's your point?
Read the book, it will enlighten you.

Closed Thread