TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 22nd 2009, 03:56 PM

I'm really surprised this thread hasn't been made yet.

Well for all you people who don't know who Nick Griffin is he's the BNP leader. And for the non-British people here this is the BNP website http://bnp.org.uk/

I couldn't really find any good websites so I'll just post this one as it seems to be a pretty unbias report.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/20...t-quot-bbc.htm

So what do you think? Should a leader of a racist and fascist party be allowed to express his views on the BBC? Also what do you think about the protesters possibly preventing the show going ahead? http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcas...in-to-bbc.html

I'm not entirely sure where I stand on this. I hate racism but at the same time I also believe everyone has a right to express their opinion.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 22nd 2009, 04:00 PM

The BBC have made mistakes before, Ie. Jonathan Ross- Russell Brand Issue... But I think this is Ok to be honest. Where ever this guy speaks theres always going to be some controversy around it, and what with 'freedom of speech' and all I think he should be allowed on People can then make judgements based on what he says

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 22nd 2009, 08:13 PM

I think everyone has a right to freely voice their opinion, and if the BBC want to let Griffin on, they should. Most of what he will say will be absolute tripe and it will just show him in an even more negative light. I don't see what the fuss is about. He's just going to make an even bigger idiot of himself, therefore i doubt the BNP will ever gain any sort of substantial power in Britain seeing as it's such a multi-cultural place. Their old-fashioned views will never reign over us all.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 22nd 2009, 09:05 PM

There is nothing wrong with them letting him on BBC on. Freedom of speech anyone? =/

And do the silly protesters and what not know that there is no such thing as bad publicity?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 22nd 2009, 09:15 PM

Of course he should be allowed to express his views! I'm all for freedom of speech. Just because Griffin has different views and opinions to other people, it doesn't mean that he shouldn't be able to voice them. I don't know why people are making such a big fuss about it to be quite honest. People are entitled to their own opinions and I'm sure that some people are always going to have views that are offensive to others. The BNP and people who hold the same values as the BNP are still going to exist whether or not Nick Griffin is on a TV programme.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 22nd 2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
Of course he should be allowed to express his views! I'm all for freedom of speech. Just because Griffin has different views and opinions to other people, it doesn't mean that he shouldn't be able to voice them. I don't know why people are making such a big fuss about it to be quite honest. People are entitled to their own opinions and I'm sure that some people are always going to have views that are offensive to others. The BNP and people who hold the same values as the BNP are still going to exist whether or not Nick Griffin is on a TV programme.
In general I agree with you, but no moral value should be held as a perfect absolute. I think there comes a point when someone's views are simply too disturbing to be aired so publicly; the question of course then becomes what that point is. I admit to not knowing much about the BNP, but while I don't get the impression that they're over that line yet, I can well believe they're toeing it.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Name: Will

Re: Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 23rd 2009, 09:12 AM

The freedom of speech allows us to say what we want, when we want. The BNP will never get into parliment becouse they are basicly a disorganised party, there views are basicly pushing other parties and the voters away from them and i bet in 5 years max they wont exist anymore.
  Send a message via MSN to ThrashAttack  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Penguin Queen Offline
Penguin queen!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 23rd 2009, 12:34 PM

All hes done is put people off from what Iv heard. I didn't actually watch it for fear that I would actually put my foot through the TV.

fait
h is a bluebird that you see from afar
it is real and as sure as the first evening star
can't touch it, or buy it, or lock it up tight
but its there just the same
making things turn out right

LE PE
NGUIN QUEEN

(#9 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 23rd 2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecryingangel View Post
All hes done is put people off from what Iv heard. I didn't actually watch it for fear that I would actually put my foot through the TV.
I watched the highlights (lol) on iPlayer and it was just a load of people slating him, in fact he's putting in a complaint saying he was harassed or something :s Don't know what he expected really...

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 23rd 2009, 05:24 PM

I never expected anything less than tripe from that imbecile. I got ridiculously angry though, nevertheless. The way he tried to dodge the truth made me sick. He compared the immigration in Britain to Genocide. I wanted to deck him one!

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#11 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 23rd 2009, 05:32 PM

yes of course he should have been allowed on.. we can't say we want freedom of speech but then have exceptions.
tbh i think he came across as a complete idiot..

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 23rd 2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxEllexx View Post
yes of course he should have been allowed on.. we can't say we want freedom of speech but then have exceptions.
tbh i think he came across as a complete idiot..
But again, we don't have complete freedom of speech, nor should we. If you don't believe me, find a black police officer and a few racial slurs; see where you end up. Or find a Jewish family, and start rambling about how Hitler (Godwin's Law) had it right all along.

Freedom of speech doesn't grant the right to freedom of hate, and from what I gather this Griffin character is a pretty impressive hate machine.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Holliex Offline
The voice of common sense
Not a n00b

Name: Hollie

Re: Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 24th 2009, 07:59 AM

Actually I thought Mr Griffin, performed well, unfortunately. When the onus was taken from the BNP towards the end of this edition of Question Time, I felt that his remarks might have made ground.

Please look at this objectively, or even just try and focus on the populist things he said. Many people who are disillusioned from the political system in this country, or frightened by the pace of immigration or change will only have picked up on those things they agree with. You are all young, probably liberal, possibly agnostic, people. Your bias will disrupt your perception of QT this week as much as the perception of the many homophobic, Islamophobic people out there who dislike the influx of foreign and EEA workers, dislike immigrants, overcrowding and dislike our changing nation.

Sure, the audience gave him a good thrashing, but all publicity is good publicity, as they say. Are you so sure he was shown up to be as big a fool as you think? I'm not.

It's cold comfort
To the ones without it
To know how they struggled
How they suffered about it
If their lives were exotic and strange
They would likely have gladly exchanged them
For something a little more plain
Maybe something a little more sane
  Send a message via MSN to Holliex  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Name: Will

Re: Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 24th 2009, 12:03 PM

This same situatuion happend the before nazis came to power, the german people were fed up of being ignored/ inflation running amock/ etc...
  Send a message via MSN to ThrashAttack  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 24th 2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
But again, we don't have complete freedom of speech, nor should we. If you don't believe me, find a black police officer and a few racial slurs; see where you end up. Or find a Jewish family, and start rambling about how Hitler (Godwin's Law) had it right all along.

Freedom of speech doesn't grant the right to freedom of hate, and from what I gather this Griffin character is a pretty impressive hate machine.
i'm not saying we do have complete freedon of speech..
and regardless of what you or anyone thinks of nick griffin he should still be allowed his say. i do disagree with some of things he says but i think at the same time he makes some quite good points also [perhaps he's a little extreme with his views, but still.]
i wouldn't say he's a hate machine.. yes, he has some contraversial views but that's not to say that a lot of people don't agree and support him.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 25th 2009, 11:35 AM

Although Nick Griffin didn't come across as a having good ideas to me I'm sure there are a good few thousand who are standing right behind him, if not more.
I mean 1 million people voted to put him in one of the chairs already.

I know several people who agree with his policies about immigration because of the fact that there are foreigners coming into this country and getting jobs and benefits when even the people who have lived here their whole lives can't get a job. It's no wonder people are frustrated with the government.

Also, people don't want to vote for Labour or the Conservatives anymore since they're not seen to be doing a very good job. So what do they do? They vote for BNP in protest. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if more BNP politicians start getting chairs in the elections.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 25th 2009, 07:07 PM

i had no problem with him being on question time, but it annoyed me how the entire show was focused on him. It defeated the poit of the show, and he was given way more attention than (in my opinion) he deserves.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Nick Griffin On Question Time - October 25th 2009, 07:11 PM

I think that it was right for him to be allowed on, because like others have said; freedom of speech. I hate nick griffin, but he has some ideas which other parties need to take on board (not quite as extreme though!!)
People voted for the BNP because they are so sick of current main stream parties who do nothing to help. Most people don't see their main agendas, but tbh they are very contradictory with what they apparently stand for and i find it difficlut to understand exactly what their policies are. I know that it would be terrible though if they got many more supporters.
I think that his appearance on question time made him look stupid in all honesty. To be fair it was mainly because he was given no time to actually answer the questions well and was slated completely; but i mean that is what was to be expected.

Closed Thread