TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - October 28th 2009, 10:49 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're OK.

WARNING: This is an upsetting story. At least I'm hoping it will upset all of you.

"Richmond, California (CNN) -- Investigators say as many as 20 people were involved in or stood and watched the gang rape of a 15-year-old girl outside a California high school homecoming dance Saturday night."

It apparently went on for 2 and a half hours.

It is - in my opinion - a wonderful [As in 'horrible'] example of what can happen when we allow our hearts to harden. I hope that you will all vow to care enough help a victim no matter what the cost may be to you. [And I'm saying that to ME as much as I am saying that to all of you] It's why I said, "At least I'm hoping it will upset all of you", next to the 'warning' above.

It's just too bad that the law does not allow those who just watched and did NOTHING to be charged. IF the girl was one year younger - they could be.

I know this isn't a nice thing to talk about - but I think it's important for all of us to know what can happen when we adopt an attitude of indifference.

Let's keep that poor girl in our thoughts.

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

Last edited by Casey.; October 29th 2009 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Marked as Triggering

(#2 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - October 28th 2009, 11:09 AM

I think its just sick and disgusting they'd do that! Who wouldn't step in when something like that was happening I don't know! I think people who know about something wrong, especially something like that, who do nothing what so ever to stop it are just as to blame, even calling the police wouldn't have been difficult!!

Feel for the poor girl too Just hope somehow she can get through this!

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - October 28th 2009, 11:16 AM

There was a similar story in Dublin where a guy was beaten to death in front of a large crowd. What was bizarre was that at first they had no way of knowing who, or how many people, had committed the crime, and they had to prosecute on the testimony of one girl who they had to literally reduce to tears in court in order to get her to speak. It's the crowd mentality slipping in - everyone's watching, so it's all OK.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - October 28th 2009, 03:23 PM

That's actually horrifying.

I have no idea how someone could stand by and watch that. All they had to do was pick up a phone and call the police..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - October 28th 2009, 03:30 PM

People don't feel safe now days reporting crimes do to safety.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
sabriel99 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Would I tell you?

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - October 28th 2009, 03:51 PM

I read this on the DU... veeerrry disturbing.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - October 28th 2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
People don't feel safe now days reporting crimes do to safety.
Maybe not :/ But I mean... Rape?? In my opinion one of the worst, if not THE worst crime there is... I guess we can all criticize and say oh I would have done this... But particularly in this situation... Im pretty sure I'd have done something! Less quick to do so as a fight (excluding a blatant attack), even though its bad it'll likely have reasons, rape is much more of an attack...

Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - October 28th 2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk338 View Post
Maybe not :/ But I mean... Rape?? In my opinion one of the worst, if not THE worst crime there is... I guess we can all criticize and say oh I would have done this... But particularly in this situation... Im pretty sure I'd have done something! Less quick to do so as a fight (excluding a blatant attack), even though its bad it'll likely have reasons, rape is much more of an attack...

Its a bad crime i dont disagree with you, but people are afraid of what will happen to them if they report this serious crime to the police.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - October 28th 2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post

Its a bad crime i dont disagree with you, but people are afraid of what will happen to them if they report this serious crime to the police.
There were twenty+ people there. Nobody would have had to have known who reported it.

It went on for over two hours. There was plenty of time to pluck up the courage to put in a call to the police.

Anyway.. what's done is done. The poor girl.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - October 29th 2009, 05:00 AM

The poor girl. Crowd mentality has lead to many tragic events, but this is horrible.

Gang rape is not uncommon, it happens in some third world countries, but for it to happen in the West is just, unheard of.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - October 29th 2009, 05:52 AM

Gang rape is a lot more common that one may believe it to be. I'm not sure how long the average gang rape time is although two hours certainly is pushing it.

I'm wondering though if all those people who stood around were partially involved in it and in a way taking turns at the girl. I find it hard to believe that a bunch of people would stand around and watch the rape for over two hours without either leaving the scene, also raping the girl or calling the police. I could understand if it was a quick rape, such as a few minutes and people may stand around and watch but when it approaches around two hours, I have to wonder how many of them were involved or to some extent enjoying the scene of it. Perhaps a few were doing neither but I don't understand the reasoning for why they'd watch and not leave.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - October 31st 2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk338 View Post
I think its just sick and disgusting they'd do that! Who wouldn't step in when something like that was happening I don't know! I think people who know about something wrong, especially something like that, who do nothing what so ever to stop it are just as to blame, even calling the police wouldn't have been difficult!!

Feel for the poor girl too Just hope somehow she can get through this!
Although I agree with YourNightmare, about the fact that I cant imagine many if any of those watching for any length of time were not involved in some way, I do feel the need to outline the bystander effect. If you are in a crowd of people, you are less likely to do something about an event first. Perhaps you are looking for social cues of how you should act, or you think someone else will act, or whatever. The bigger the group you are in, the greater the effect. But generally once someone breaks this effect, and acts, others are more willing to. It happens. Like one girl got murdered, and all her neighbours heard her screaming for help, yet none tried to help her, because it was a well populated area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Gang rape is not uncommon, it happens in some third world countries, but for it to happen in the West is just, unheard of.
I think its more common in the west then we'd like to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
Gang rape is a lot more common that one may believe it to be. I'm not sure how long the average gang rape time is although two hours certainly is pushing it.

I'm wondering though if all those people who stood around were partially involved in it and in a way taking turns at the girl. I find it hard to believe that a bunch of people would stand around and watch the rape for over two hours without either leaving the scene, also raping the girl or calling the police. I could understand if it was a quick rape, such as a few minutes and people may stand around and watch but when it approaches around two hours, I have to wonder how many of them were involved or to some extent enjoying the scene of it. Perhaps a few were doing neither but I don't understand the reasoning for why they'd watch and not leave.
I agree.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - October 31st 2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
Although I agree with YourNightmare, about the fact that I cant imagine many if any of those watching for any length of time were not involved in some way, I do feel the need to outline the bystander effect. If you are in a crowd of people, you are less likely to do something about an event first. Perhaps you are looking for social cues of how you should act, or you think someone else will act, or whatever. The bigger the group you are in, the greater the effect. But generally once someone breaks this effect, and acts, others are more willing to. It happens. Like one girl got murdered, and all her neighbours heard her screaming for help, yet none tried to help her, because it was a well populated area...
Agreed, that has been proven psychologically... Is that the right word? But for me, even if it were a crowd, I couldn't stand and watch for 2 and a half hours, and on stepping gout the crowd you break that feeling of going with the group, begin to think straight, I don't know it easy for us to say now I guess, but I can't believe it didn't cross their minds

I do agree though that I believe gang rape is a lot more common, just so many cases go unreported, my dad and I were talking about it just the other day, and some of the cases perhaps you don't get to hear about... Its sick

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - October 31st 2009, 06:17 PM

in the bystander effect, you'd hope the thought at least crosses their mind. But we dont always act in line with our beliefs (e.g stepping in/reporting). I like to think I'd also report such things or step in, but to be fair, I've never been in that situation, so I cant speak from experience.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 1st 2009, 01:36 AM

oh gosh, that's horrible. i feel so bad for that girl :[

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#16 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 1st 2009, 05:18 PM

I wasn't going to own up to this But I will . I was out the other evening and saw a very nasty fight, well kind of it was half dark, these two people really going for each other. At the time I was with friends, and we all just watched in awe as these two tried too... Well what looked like kill each other. None of us even thought of the police, and even when finally someone mentioned it, no one rang... Looking back I feel really guilty, but I still don't know in this situation after all this time Im sure I would of reacted, but then again maybe not. So I kind of have to take back some of what I said, if any of those people who were there felt as threatened as we did the other night I have some sympathy for them as its not a nice thing to see...

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 1st 2009, 06:12 PM

My class was talking about this the other day. I really think its such a sad and horrible thing that happened.

I just dont understand what the worlds coming to. That people would want to do this to somebody and that a group of people would just gather around and watch. If I was every in that situation I hope that somebody from that crowd would go and get somebody that could stop it. I read the newspaper story and it said that there were a bunch of adults at the dance and cops there but they were all inside. If one person would have ran and got one of the cops the whole thing could have been stopped.

Also why would anybody want to just watch this happen to somebody. Its not funny or amusing in anyway.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 1st 2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaitsme View Post
My class was talking about this the other day. I really think its such a sad and horrible thing that happened.

I just dont understand what the worlds coming to. That people would want to do this to somebody and that a group of people would just gather around and watch. If I was every in that situation I hope that somebody from that crowd would go and get somebody that could stop it. I read the newspaper story and it said that there were a bunch of adults at the dance and cops there but they were all inside. If one person would have ran and got one of the cops the whole thing could have been stopped.

Also why would anybody want to just watch this happen to somebody. Its not funny or amusing in anyway.
http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/ucce50/a.../article35.htm
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 1st 2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Some people find Enjoyment Watching Rape/fights..

(#20 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 3rd 2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
These sorts of things aren't new at all. They occurred way back in human history and some countries may still practice it, although they have certain beliefs behind it.

Quote:
The problem with this statement is that you're generalizing what your beliefs and views are to everyone else, and are assuming everyone else agrees with your views. That's not the case. People are very diverse and it'd be wrong to say that nobody on the Earth would have any enjoyment from watching it.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 4th 2009, 09:51 AM

Reading the comments in this thread made me remember something from my psychology class when I took it. There's a case that deals with something called the Bystander effect. [link]. Basically, it explains that people stand around, waiting for someone else to do something and they expect and expect that someone else will call the police, etc.

Regardless of the reason, they stood around and watched someone's innocence get taken away from them, that in itself, is quite disgusting to me.

PM||VM
And I watched
As he tried to reassemble it
And my momma swore that
She would never let herself forget
And that was the day that I promised
I'd never sing of love
If it does not exist

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 12th 2009, 10:43 PM

This is seriously horrible. I live in this area. so it's been all over our local news. A lot of my family lives in Richmond

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 13th 2009, 01:34 AM

This is quite horrible, sick, diusgusting. But I can't see myself in that situation calling the police...

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 13th 2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post
This is quite horrible, sick, diusgusting. But I can't see myself in that situation calling the police...

Do you mind if I ask why? I'm not meaning that as an attack, but I'm just curious as to your thinking or feelings around it. Is it because you'd be scared?

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 13th 2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post

Do you mind if I ask why? I'm not meaning that as an attack, but I'm just curious as to your thinking or feelings around it. Is it because you'd be scared?
I mean, I definitely would want to. But it's the bystander effect, everyone sits around and just waits for someone else to call the police. I don't think I'd be any different...

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 14th 2009, 04:19 AM

Thats makes me feel like i live in such a horrible area. I can't believe people like this :\

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 14th 2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post
I mean, I definitely would want to. But it's the bystander effect, everyone sits around and just waits for someone else to call the police. I don't think I'd be any different...
Visualize yourself there, watching these events unfold infront of you. You'd do nothing for two hours? You really believe that, Cam?

Humanity, the way we think, act, rationalize, wait for others to act when we know what to do, leads us to do, or not do, some stupid things. This wouldn't be a mistake, if you were to watch someone get raped for two hours, this would be downright torture. This is a child. This is people watching people torture someone for two and a half hours, and yet no one does anything?

I understand I linked to the bystander effect, but wouldn't you think to register it after seconds and/or minutes, not hours? It's sadism to say that, Cam.

PM||VM
And I watched
And my momma swore that
I'd never sing of love
If it does not exist

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Kadster Offline
Adam/Eve not Adam/Steve!!!
Not a n00b

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 15th 2009, 08:24 AM

Unts do I hear the electric chair getting charged, let's share the pain, with capital punishment for all of them! (Wait we still use the chair right? I know here in Arizona we use the gas chambers but I don't think they use them there).

Please enjoy a collection of classic music from the homeland!

Die Deutsche Armee ist mein Held

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 15th 2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromwell View Post

Visualize yourself there, watching these events unfold infront of you. You'd do nothing for two hours? You really believe that, Cam?

Humanity, the way we think, act, rationalize, wait for others to act when we know what to do, leads us to do, or not do, some stupid things. This wouldn't be a mistake, if you were to watch someone get raped for two hours, this would be downright torture. This is a child. This is people watching people torture someone for two and a half hours, and yet no one does anything?

I understand I linked to the bystander effect, but wouldn't you think to register it after seconds and/or minutes, not hours? It's sadism to say that, Cam.
I guess I just don't know what I'd do until I'm actually in that situation...

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 18th 2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Reading the comments in this thread made me remember something from my psychology class when I took it. There's a case that deals with something called the Bystander effect. [link]. Basically, it explains that people stand around, waiting for someone else to do something and they expect and expect that someone else will call the police, etc.

Regardless of the reason, they stood around and watched someone's innocence get taken away from them, that in itself, is quite disgusting to me.
Don't get me wrong I completely agree with you, but I think it's one of those situations you'd have to be in to figure out what your reaction would be. I'd like to believe that I would have phoned the police if I was there but I can't say it for certain as I've never been in a situation like this.

Poor girl

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

Last edited by Make Believe; November 18th 2009 at 01:56 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 18th 2009, 11:53 PM

I completely understand getting your wits about you, believe me, I do. But two hours..? It doesn't seem a little excessive for people to stand around, it is a little excessive.

PM||VM
And I watched
And my momma swore that
I'd never sing of love
If it does not exist

(#32 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 19th 2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I completely understand getting your wits about you, believe me, I do. But two hours..? It doesn't seem a little excessive for people to stand around, it is a little excessive.
Maybe they didn't stick around for the whole 2 hours? As I said earlier though you'd be surprised, the shock of it, you sit there after and kick yourself and think why didn't I do anything?

I think its safe to say the people watching were either victims of the bystander effect, or they were enjoying it, as sick as that sounds. Because quite honestly thats the two categories it comes down too here...

(#33 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 19th 2009, 02:26 AM

20 people? outside? Wouldn't someone have SEEN SOMETHING?! Some people just disgust me!!!

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#34 (permalink)) Old
yoloyoloyolo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: yo

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 21st 2009, 11:05 PM

I think this is a perfect example of what society is like today; cold, hard, and uncaring.

Myself, I would've called the police in a heartbeat, whether by picking up my cell phone or finding a pay phone. What ever possesses people to just sit by and do nothing, I don't understand. They should all be charged with criminal negligence.

I feel that most people these days only look out for one person: themselves. They only have their own interests at heart. I mean, who wants to call the police to save a defenseless teenage girl from a gang rape? For two and a half hours? You don't even have to put yourself in danger, just make an anonymous phone call to the police.

Personally, I find selfish-ness of society sickening, really. I can't stand people these days, and I'm incredibly vocal about it. My band advocates speaking out, defending the rights of people who may not have a voice who can reach out to many, and I think you Craig for sharing this story with me, and the rest of the people on this forum. It should really be considered an eye opener for anyone reading this, and I will share this story at the next concert my band plays.

Stories like this need to be shoved in people's faces, or they will continue to sit idly by while young boys and girls are raped and abused for the pleasure of others.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 22nd 2009, 03:20 PM

I live in California close to where this happened, and this was big news here before it went national.

What scares me the most is there is no actions taken to make sure this doesn't happened again. They may say so, but not really. Our school made a 30 second deal of it in the daily bulletin saying if you see someone being raped, tell someone. I mean, come on. I want to see how they are going to stop this from happening again.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: 15 year old girl 'gang raped' in California - November 24th 2009, 04:08 PM

This is clearly awful, and I would defintley have reported the crime. But would I have been altruistic enough to at the time say "hold on, stop" and thus put myself at (very probable) risk of the same abuse? I'm just one girl, I'm not very big, not very strong, can't run and can't shout. If you tried to stop these people at the time the chances are the same thing would happen to you.. It's hard to say but - no, I wouldn't sacrifice my own safety like that. I'd leave and call the police, or if I couldn't leave without putting myself in danger, waitl, then call the police. It sounds horrible but in these kind of situations the instinctive self-protect mode does step in, I don't think this makes me a bad person ... just perhaps more honest than the others posting in this thread.

Closed Thread