TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 28th 2009, 11:25 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/10/...mes/index.html Thoughts on Obama signing the Bill?

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Yen Offline
Resident Leprechaun
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ian

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 29th 2009, 12:12 AM

Two Words: About time!

It's a major victory to have crimes motivated by sexual orientation be hate crimes! It's definitely needed.

"Why isn't bull-riding (Beef NASCAR as I call it) the American sport to end all sports? It's an epic battle of the wills between a man and an angry cheeseburger; and if that doesn't typify our awesome civilization, I don't know what does."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 29th 2009, 12:59 AM

I don't know, I guess we should discourage bigotry, but I just think it's weird to punish someone more because of their intolerant motives. Crimes are crimes, I always thought. Whatever, can't hurt.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 29th 2009, 04:25 PM

So from what i see this bill only protects gays and lesbians.. Why not African Americans, Jews and Muslims?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 29th 2009, 04:43 PM

I don't get the point of hate crimes. Murder is murder and I don't think you should get punished more because you've killed a gay person. Surely this clashes with the principle that "everyone is equal before the law" and introduces a more "everyone is equal but some are more equal than others" principle?

I'm all for discouraging bigotry but not at the expense of judicial fairness.

Last edited by Jack; October 29th 2009 at 04:49 PM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 29th 2009, 08:29 PM

Crimes should be punished because of the CRIME, not because of the motive.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 29th 2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
So from what i see this bill only protects gays and lesbians.. Why not African Americans, Jews and Muslims?
Because they're already protected by a previous hate crime bill. This bill just adds gender-orientation based attacks to the list of minorities to whom it can be a hate crime for attacking.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Wannabe Writer Offline
Closet Sci-fi geek.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bailey

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 30th 2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
Because ( as mentioned by someone else) the previous hate crimes bill protected them. I think that as long as the other hate crimes bill stands, this one is good. I'm half-and-half on whether a person should be punished for motives as well as the crime. On the one hand, it seems fair to just punish the crime, not the motive, or the perceived motive. On the other hand, hate crimes have been shown to cause more severe psychological effects than other crimes like it. They can also scare people of the same ( in this case) sexuality to not come out- if it is a sexual orientation motivated hate crime. Same for gender identity. These are just my opinions.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 30th 2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I don't get the point of hate crimes. Murder is murder and I don't think you should get punished more because you've killed a gay person. Surely this clashes with the principle that "everyone is equal before the law" and introduces a more "everyone is equal but some are more equal than others" principle?

I'm all for discouraging bigotry but not at the expense of judicial fairness.
If you've killed a gay person, that's not a hate crime. If you've killed a person because they're gay, that is, and should be punished more harshly. Partly as an extra deterrent to that type of crime, which is much more common than it should be, and partly as Bailey said because hate crimes have more victims than just the immediate one.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 30th 2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
If you've killed a gay person, that's not a hate crime. If you've killed a person because they're gay, that is, and should be punished more harshly. Partly as an extra deterrent to that type of crime, which is much more common than it should be, and partly as Bailey said because hate crimes have more victims than just the immediate one.
And murder for whatever reason doesn't effect communities just as badly? There is always a psychological impact and all murders have more victims than just the immediate one. Lots of murders are to do with hating someone for some action they do or some aspect of their personality. Why should it matter if that reason you hate them is because they slept with your girlfriend or because they engage in sodomy? I can't see a reason? The act is the same, the mind set (aka hatred and malice aforethought) is the same and the result is the same and it should carry the same penalty. Identical crimes should equal identical punishments.

Mens rea has traditionally been used to determine the intent to commit the crime (Aka, did you know at the time that cutting the green wire would kill Tim?) and not the reasons behind the intent to commit the crime (aka Did you cut the green wire because Tim was gay/Amish/wearing a green jumper?)and this in an extention that I do not believe should happen. The man who steals to give to the poor, the man who steals for selfish reasons and the man who steals out of malice have all committed the same crime: Theft regardless of their reasons behind the crime. Should we have "Friendly theft", "Greedy theft" and "hate theft"? The reason behind the intent to commit the crime is not something the law does, or should, take into account.

Last edited by Jack; October 30th 2009 at 04:42 AM.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 30th 2009, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Murders that aren't hate crimes have plenty of victims, both directly (i.e. the person killed) and indirectly (i.e. friends, family and communities).

If two people kill someone and if it's the same type of murder (i.e. second degree), then the two should get somewhat equal sentences. One of them shouldn't get a longer sentence because they did a hate crime. It emphasizes inequality of the victims, offenders and legal system to society. Society is striving to have people be treated equally but if you do this, then you're promoting inequality.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 30th 2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
And murder for whatever reason doesn't effect communities just as badly? There is always a psychological impact and all murders have more victims than just the immediate one. Lots of murders are to do with hating someone for some action they do or some aspect of their personality. Why should it matter if that reason you hate them is because they slept with your girlfriend or because they engage in sodomy? I can't see a reason? The act is the same, the mind set (aka hatred and malice aforethought) is the same and the result is the same and it should carry the same penalty.
The act is the same, the mindset is sometimes the same, and the result is similar but generally on a different scale. The difference between the two examples you gave are that one is personal and the other is impersonal. "Murder is murder" irrespective of the circumstances is really not a defensible opinion, since self-defense is also murder. Clearly, circumstance matters to some degree; the debate is just to what degree.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 30th 2009, 05:11 AM

Quote:
The act is the same, the mindset is sometimes the same, and the result is similar but generally on a different scale. The difference between the two examples you gave are that one is personal and the other is impersonal. "Murder is murder" irrespective of the circumstances is really not a defensible opinion, since self-defense is also murder. Clearly, circumstance matters to some degree; the debate is just to what degree.
No. Circumstances are taken into account in terms of DEFENSES to crimes. Self Defence is not a crime, it is a defence to a crime. When acertaining whether a crime has taken place they look at the mens rea and the act (Did you unlawfully kill Tim? Did you intend to cause death or grievous bodily harm to Tim?) if both are satisfied they then look at the circumstances to find a defence (Did Tim face an unjust threat from Paul? Did Tim use a reasonable level of force against the threat?). Circumstances aren't taken into account for the crime but only for defences. So yes, murder is murder: When someone does something which fits all the criteria of murder without any of the mitigating circumstances then yes it is murder. So yes, killing someone because you don't like their sexuality and killing someone because you don't like their personality are the same crime.

Basically hate crime amounts to punishing people for thought crime since you are punishing an identical crime more severely merely because the defendant holds a conviction that society frowns upon. The law focuses on the act itself and knowledge of what that act entailed not why they comitted the act.

Last edited by Jack; October 30th 2009 at 06:19 AM.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 30th 2009, 05:13 AM

So, if I assaulted a homosexual person, despite what they've done to me, it would be labelled a hate crime? Wait, what?

Just because I hit someone that isn't like me doesn't mean I'm comitting a hate crime... It would be different if my motives weren't the same.

Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 30th 2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoyinglife View Post
So, if I assaulted a homosexual person, despite what they've done to me, it would be labelled a hate crime? Wait, what?

Just because I hit someone that isn't like me doesn't mean I'm comitting a hate crime... It would be different if my motives weren't the same.
No, if you assualted the homosexual person simply because they were gay then it would be a hate crime. If you assualted him because he had provoked it by doing something bad to yourself somehow then it would be a normal crime.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 30th 2009, 07:10 AM

About time.

However, I agree with Jack. Murder is murder, it shouldn't matter why you killed someone, just that you did. But I do like the idea of protection, or the illusion of it anyway, under this bill.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 30th 2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
No, if you assualted the homosexual person simply because they were gay then it would be a hate crime. If you assualted him because he had provoked it by doing something bad to yourself somehow then it would be a normal crime.
I thought there was already a law for that. Maybe that's Australia, nevermind. ^^

Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - October 30th 2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Basically hate crime amounts to punishing people for thought crime since you are punishing an identical crime more severely merely because the defendant holds a conviction that society frowns upon. The law focuses on the act itself and knowledge of what that act entailed not why they comitted the act.
Ah, okay, now I see where it is we're disagreeing. In my opinion, law isn't about punishment at all. Punishment is a result of law, not a reason for its existence. If it were possible to create a system of law in which criminals were not punished, yet resulted in less crime than we have now, I feel it would be a better system. The only thing gained from punishing criminals is that it reduces the likelihood of more crimes occurring.

Fairness to the criminals is obviously still a non-negligible issue, but I feel it's of lesser importance than the safely of law-abiding citizens, again within reason. If harsher penalties for hate-crimes result in fewer hate crimes, great. If data shows that it has no effect on crime rates whatsoever, then get rid of it.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - November 2nd 2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Ah, okay, now I see where it is we're disagreeing. In my opinion, law isn't about punishment at all. Punishment is a result of law, not a reason for its existence. If it were possible to create a system of law in which criminals were not punished, yet resulted in less crime than we have now, I feel it would be a better system. The only thing gained from punishing criminals is that it reduces the likelihood of more crimes occurring.
No we're disagreeing because hate crime fundementally ignores the way the law is supposed to work. This punishes "bad thoughts" of a particular kind above others, not only is the punishment of thoughts silly enough but why should this thought be worse than intense hatred of an individual for some other unlegislated upon thing? The law should not care what why you committed a crime but just that you did it, that is the only way the law remains objective and fair. In much the same way as a parking meter does not care why you're late back to your car, whether it be that you were helping a blind man accross the road or that you were simply slow, the law does not care why you murdered someone - just that you did it, whether you murdered a sickly patient so a dieing child could get their organs or whether you murdered someone for looking at you the crime is still the same.

Not to mention that obviously punishment IS needed when people break the law in reality. Sure, it would be lovely to live in a world where people abided by the law without the threat of punishment but that's not the world we live in. And no, I don't think that punishment is the purpose of law's existance, I feel that punishment is a side effect of law. To me the law is a glorified system of dispute resolution whether that dispute is between the state and the individual (eg criminal law) or between two private individuals/corporations (eg tort law). But I do feel that the method of reaching the judgement, and the judgement itself, should be impartial and fair above all things.

Quote:
Fairness to the criminals is obviously still a non-negligible issue, but I feel it's of lesser importance than the safely of law-abiding citizens, again within reason. If harsher penalties for hate-crimes result in fewer hate crimes, great. If data shows that it has no effect on crime rates whatsoever, then get rid of it.
Justice is the most important part of law. Justice can't be served when the punishment is not proportionate[*] to the crime. The safety of one law abiding citizen isn't more important than the safety of another law abiding citizen merely because of their sexuality. The law is impartial to things like sexuality and motives. To re-iterate: If I brutally butcher my friend for fun or if I stab someone because they're gay then I have still committed the same crime: Murder. The current punishment for murder is considered good enough to protect all law abiding citizens anyway so why change it to favour one particular group? Or if it is not good enough then why not raise the penalty for all murders?

Then again, there is no certainty that harsher penalties = less crime. If you look at the death penalty (the harshest of all penalties) then you will notice the states that employ it actually have the highest crime rate and that it obviously does not deter crime in any serious manner.

The government has NO place in saying that it is worse to murder someone for their sexuality, gender etc than it is to murder someone for their money. We may place a value judgment on certain types of motivating factors. We may find it more despicable to harm a weak individual than a strong one. This does not mean that we create separate laws to apply to harming those who can't lift more than 50 lbs or run a mile in less than 7 minutes. We may believe it worse to steal from someone who earns $25,000/year than someone who earns $150,000. This does not mean that we create separate laws pertaining to stealing from a person with a high salary versus stealing from a person with a low salary. Both of these scenarios provide a corollary for the hate crime legislation that continues to be promoted by politicians today.

Quote:
From the definition of "Hate Crime":
“hate crime” means a crime in which the defendant intentionally selects a victim, or in the case of a property crime, the property that is the object of the crime, because of the actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, or sexual orientation of any person.
Under this definition all rape becomes a hate crimes considering that rapists generally will pick victims based on their gender.. Similarly the casual opportunist who directs violence towards the weak (eg disabled and to some extent women) out of the ease of the target rather than out of particular hatred of the individual seems to fall under the act. At the very least this act needs to be less vague.

[*] The harsher punishment for hate crime can't be proportionate because the current punishment (at least by the laws standard) is considered proportionate to the crime. So therefore by increasing the punishment for the same crime the punishment must therefore become disproportionate.

I hope this made sense. I worry that I've just rambled nonsense at 4:30 am in the morning.

Last edited by Jack; November 2nd 2009 at 03:32 AM.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - November 3rd 2009, 03:48 AM

Fuck yes. Regardless of the whole should there be 'hate' crimes and all that, sexual orientation and gender identity should count.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Kadster Offline
Adam/Eve not Adam/Steve!!!
Not a n00b

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - November 3rd 2009, 06:34 AM

Another waste of money by Obama...

Please enjoy a collection of classic music from the homeland!

Die Deutsche Armee ist mein Held

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - November 5th 2009, 01:58 AM

So when's the word for "sexual-orientationist" going to come out so we can blame any instance in which a gay person doesn't get special treatment on "sexual-orientationism"

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Wannabe Writer Offline
Closet Sci-fi geek.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bailey

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - November 5th 2009, 10:56 AM

A couple people have stated that there are more than just the immediate victim in "normal" crimes too. Yes, that's true. But what I was trying to say is, in a "normal" murder, it will cause psychological effects on the family, obviously. And the whole community might get a bit more scared and on the safer side ( not going out alone as often as possible for while, being nervous going out after dark, ect) . But I doubt it would go so far as to make someone be scared to be who they are ( Gay, bi, transgender, ect.). Just my opinion.

“Those who dance are considered insane by those who can’t hear the music”- Anon.

When you’re a kid they tell you it’s all “grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid” and that’s all. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It’s so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better.- Elton, Doctor Who “Love and Monsters”

"Where'd you find this kid?"
"He was left in a basket on the steps of the FBI."
- Criminal Minds

http://operationbeautiful.com/

(#24 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - November 5th 2009, 05:27 PM

As others have said, I think that the idea of punishing "hate" crimes more severely is really unneccesary. A murder is a murder is a murder, doesn't matter what the motives were.

What I'm more concerned about is what got added onto this bill on its way through Congress, as our wonderful legislature has a wonderful way of adding pet projects to bills like this.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - November 5th 2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBL87 View Post
As others have said, I think that the idea of punishing "hate" crimes more severely is really unneccesary. A murder is a murder is a murder, doesn't matter what the motives were.

What I'm more concerned about is what got added onto this bill on its way through Congress, as our wonderful legislature has a wonderful way of adding pet projects to bills like this.
Especially when there is such a majority that the dems can get away with a lot...

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Obama signs hate crimes bill into law - November 6th 2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadster View Post
Another waste of money by Obama...
Best Argument?

Closed Thread