TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 22nd 2009, 12:03 AM

Source- Here

The local police chief in Ozark, Arkansas is standing behind one of his officers who tasered a 10-year-old girl who was refusing to go to bed.
The bizarre story is laid out in a police incident report obtained by website The Smoking Gun.
Officer Dustin Bradshaw was called to the home by a woman complaining that her daughter was being unruly and refusing to go to sleep. Bradshaw wrote that when he arrived at the home, he found Kiara Medlock "balled up in (sic) the floor crying and screaming."
After watching her mother attempt to get Kiara into the bathtub with little success, Bradshaw took the girl into the living room and threatened her with jail. That didn't settle things down. At some point, Bradshaw claims Kiara's mother told him to "taser her if I needed to."
Bradshaw then tried to handcuff Kiara. But he couldn't manage that either.
To hear Bradshaw tell it, he was now in the midst of a full-on brawl on the living-room floor with Kiara, a Grade 5 student. The [Edited by Casey:Removing weight numbers] was "verbally combative ... struck me with her legs and feet in the groin," Bradshaw wrote.
That's when he reached for his holster and delivered a "very very (sic) brief drive stun to her back with my taser."
Unsurprisingly, Kiara's struggling stopped immediately. Bradshaw then cuffed her and carried her to his squad car, since she could no longer walk.
The incident hit the news when Kiara's father, Anthony Medlock, took exception. Medlock does not live with Kiara's mother.
"I want to know how the heck in God's green earth can they get away with this ... If you can't pick the kid up and take her to your car, handcuff her, then I don't think you need to be an officer," Medlock told local Ozark 40/29 news. He said his daughter has shown signs of emotional issues, but she "doesn't deserve to be treated like a dog."
The local police chief stood behind Bradshaw and his decision.
"He had no other choice. He had to get the child under control," said Ozark police Chief Jim Noggle.
No disciplinary action is pending against Bradshaw. However, the Associated Press has reported that the FBI has dispatched agents to Arkansas to investigate.
Medlock said he will attempt to gain sole custody of his daughter.


Officer should be striped of his badge.




Last edited by Casey.; November 28th 2009 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Please don't post any weight numbers
  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while
********
 
Heretic's Avatar
 
Name: [060191.1723]
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: 43.337557, -89.638498

Posts: 1,695
Blog Entries: 9
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 22nd 2009, 12:33 AM

A fifth grader? Seriously? A cop tazed a fifth grader and he's getting away with it? That's wrong.


Ethos
Pathos
Logos

050516.0029
  Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Stardaze's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: California

Posts: 5,799
Blog Entries: 275
Join Date: November 7th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 22nd 2009, 01:06 AM

This is so wrong. For not going to bed?
And a 5th grader? my god.




   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Pelios's Avatar
 
Name: Andrea
Gender: Female
Location: México

Posts: 3,691
Blog Entries: 48
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 22nd 2009, 01:15 AM

That cop should feel shame forever. What a great parent he’d make, just tazer the kids to get them to bed. unbelivable.
They can TAZER out kids but we can’t spank them
What the is happening to America?


Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
hecanandWILLchangeyou's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Georgia( the U.S. state)

Posts: 549
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: August 26th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 22nd 2009, 01:27 AM

That is AWFUL.
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while
********
 
Ngikhona's Avatar
 
Name: Keeley Siobhan
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 1,605
Blog Entries: 22
Join Date: April 26th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 22nd 2009, 02:22 AM

I'm not just disappointed with the cop, I'm also disappointed with the mother. Kids are going to be unruly, and there are better ways of controlling your children than calling the cops unless they're really posing some threat. Then the fact that she supposedly told the cop he could taser her is terrible. I would NEVER want to have any child have to go through that no matter what. I hope the dad gets custody of the girl, because I don't think her mother is fit to keep her if she needs the police to get her to go to bed. It's also very disconcerting that a cop would taser a person that young, no matter how "quick" the said tasering was.


"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while
********
 
Nightblood.'s Avatar
 
Gender: She/Her
Location: United States

Posts: 1,829
Blog Entries: 37
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 22nd 2009, 02:26 AM

This is horrible. But personally, I would like to know EXACTLY what the girl was doing. I've seen kids with some problems. And for all I know, it really was necessary. There are kids out there that it is, I just don't know if this was one of them. The officer should at least be fired.



"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Pelios's Avatar
 
Name: Andrea
Gender: Female
Location: México

Posts: 3,691
Blog Entries: 48
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 22nd 2009, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfPunk View Post
This is horrible. But personally, I would like to know EXACTLY what the girl was doing. I've seen kids with some problems. And for all I know, it really was necessary. There are kids out there that it is, I just don't know if this was one of them. The officer should at least be fired.
I know what EXACTLY can a[Edited by Casey:Removing weight numbers] girl do that a COP can not control without the use of tasers.
TWO adults could not control ONE kid.
Nanny 911.


Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

Last edited by Casey.; November 28th 2009 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Please don't post any weight numbers, they are against the TOS.
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
noise94's Avatar
 
Gender: N/A

Posts: 3,231
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 22nd 2009, 04:43 AM

She called the police because she couldn't get the child to go to bed?! Do the police really have nothing better to be doing with their time? But jeez, that cop was way out of line. No way should he get away with that. The mother is just as bad, though..
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lugez's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 929
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 22nd 2009, 05:33 AM

I can only imagine the call the mother made..

DISPATCHER: What is your emergency?
MOTHER: My daughter won't go to bed!!
DISPATCHER: Um...Yeah..Sure, we'll send someone..

But yeah, highly unneccessary unless that [Edited by Casey:Removing weight numbers] was REALLY something.

Last edited by Casey.; November 28th 2009 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Please don't post any weight numbers, they are against the TOS.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while
********
 
Music's Avatar
 
Name: Richard
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Alberta, Canada

Posts: 1,575
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 22nd 2009, 08:06 AM

Either we're missing part of the story or something is seriously wrong with three adults.
I'm going to go with we're missing something here. The news has a tendency to word things in ways that get the most attention. Either way there should be no acceptable cause to use such force on anybody, let along a young girl, unless they were threatening the safety of themself or others. Maybe she was?
I just can't see the chief supporting him, the mom suggesting the taser, and the officer being called to the house, attempting to handcuff and jail the girl, and then tase her without there being some part of the story we're missing.

But then again that's just me assuming people aren't that stupid...


Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
CanadaCraig's Avatar
 
Age: 56
Gender: Male

Posts: 854
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 22nd 2009, 09:30 AM

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're having a dandy day!!

Let's just imagine - for a moment - that you were put in charge of trying to deal with a budgie that has gone completely mental. [That's right - a budgie - one of those little birds] Just how much force would you use in order to control that budgie? Now let's say that after repeated attempts - the budgie flies straight into one your eyes - causing you great pain. And no matter what you say or do - that budgie is completely out of control. There is only so much force that you CAN use. Too much - and you might literally kill that little bird.

Well.... I think that might be how it is [Or CAN be] when an adult tries to restrain an out of control [Edited by Casey:Removing weight numbers] person. It's not easy. In fact - it would probably be easier to restrain a [Edited] person. At least then you're not worried so much about actually causing them irreparable harm. Do you see what I mean?!

Should that little girl have been lasered - even IF it was for the briefest of moments? I honestly don't know. I wasn't there.

That said.....

The next time YOUR mom [Or dad - or whoever it is who is taking care of you] says, "BED TIME!" - you just might want to remember this story. lol

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

Last edited by Casey.; November 28th 2009 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Please don't post weight figures, they're against the TOS
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough
*********
 
Union Of V's Avatar
 
Name: Basil!!!
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Location: Cork, Ireland

Posts: 2,017
Blog Entries: 22
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 22nd 2009, 04:33 PM

Are the police not told how dangerous tasers are? It sounds like hideously bad training's taking place...

I agree with lafin though, there's definitively something missing...
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while
********
 
Toast's Avatar
 
Name: Toast
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,285
Join Date: January 9th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 22nd 2009, 10:07 PM

Why would you call the police because your kid won't go to bed? Parents really need to take responsibility for their own children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1915-_thNs it reminds me of this. That dispatcher was cool.


Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
losing touch.'s Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 5,996
Blog Entries: 537
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 22nd 2009, 11:43 PM

omg.. that is ridiculous. i can't believe the mother called the police in the first place, and to taser the kid.. wow.. just wow.


..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..



   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 23rd 2009, 09:20 AM

I'm still getting the feeling that there is more to this story because why would cops come to the house if a mother says she cannot get her kid in bed and not write up the mother on false alarm? At first I thought maybe the mother called 911 thinking the kid was in a medical danger but then I thought that makes no sense because no paramedics came, only police. Anyways, I think she said something else other than her kid not wanting to go to bed. Also, the officer tried to help the mother and the mother allowed the officer to use the tazer, both of which indicate to me that there was definately something else going on with the kid other than not wanting to go to bed. I can only assume the kid was being a danger to themselves or the mother but in what ways I don't know.

I do support what the officer did in terms of tazering the kid because the kid had to be calmed down in some way although this goes back to not knowing the fully story along with not respecting nor complying with the officer. In response to the assault, the officer could have done much worse, such as using the nightstick, physically pinning down the kid, pepper spray, etc... . Instead, the officer chose a way to resolve the situation as calmly as possible with minimal harm to the kid. I'd have a different view if the same officer and same kid were involved only this time the officer pulled out the nightstick and began clubbing away or using their gun.
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while
********
 
Nightblood.'s Avatar
 
Gender: She/Her
Location: United States

Posts: 1,829
Blog Entries: 37
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 24th 2009, 06:58 PM

I do not agree that pinning down the kid would be more harmful. I used to visit a classroom with behaviorally and emotionally challenged kids, and you can in fact hold them down without harm, although it IS easier with multiple people. Even so, I think there is a lot missing from this story



"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while
********
 
iHEAVENn's Avatar
 
Name: Amy
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Location: Portland, Oregon

Posts: 1,306
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 24th 2009, 08:32 PM

There's something missing.
I love how everyone just jumps on board and says "BAD COP! BAD MOM!"

There is something missing from this story. Cops do not just taser kids.
And also in the story it states that the kid was kicking the cop... (Now if the kid was a teenager doing this.. there would've been punishment. Why not punish the kid?)

I don't think it was an issue of going to "bed" but maybe the mom trying to get the kid in bed led up to further issues.
Either way, something had to be done and if he couldn't get the kid handcuffed because the kid was being a royal pain in the ass then maybe using the taser was the best option.


.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."




   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
her_beautiful_mistake's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Gender: Female
Location: Britland

Posts: 2,262
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 24th 2009, 09:28 PM

Firstly, why would you call the police if you can't get your child to go to bed?
Secondly, really? Just really? I'm sorry but she weighs [Edited by Casey:Removing weight numbers]. Lets get real here.

Last edited by Casey.; November 28th 2009 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Please don't post any weight numbers, they are against the TOS
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 24th 2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Secondly, really? Just really? I'm sorry but she weighs [Edited by Casey:Removing weight numbers]. Lets get real here.
Ever been bitten by a [Edited] dog or been kicked in the shin pretty hard? It doesn't matter how large or small the girl is, she can still do harm especially if she's flailing around because she's using all her strength. Obviously the officer is much stronger, larger and heavier but when you get kicked something fierce, especially in the groin, it doesn't matter if it's a [Edited] kickboxer or a[Edited] girl, it's going to hurt.

Last edited by Casey.; November 28th 2009 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Please don't post any weight numbers, they are against the TOS
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 24
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,685
Blog Entries: 121
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 24th 2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
Ever been bitten by a
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
[Edited by Casey:Removing weight numbers] dog or been kicked in the shin pretty hard? It doesn't matter how large or small the girl is, she can still do harm especially if she's flailing around because she's using all her strength. Obviously the officer is much stronger, larger and heavier but when you get kicked something fierce, especially in the groin, it doesn't matter if it's a [Edited] kickboxer or a [Edited] girl, it's going to hurt.


No one said it wouldn't hurt like Hell if you were kicked repeatedly by someone who weighed so little. The point, though, is that the cop is apparently kind of an idiot if he's supposed to be able to handle criminals who, if I were to guess, can put up much more of a fight than a
[Edited] girl, yet can't handle a 10 year old having a temper tantrum without tasing her.
Even if there are a few things missing from the story, I still think it's pretty lame that a cop can't get a 10 year old under control without hurting her. If a cop came to my house and threatened me with jail I'd be scared as Hell, and I'd guess that a ten year old would be as well. I just don't see the point in doing what he did.





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts



Last edited by Casey.; November 28th 2009 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Please don't post any weight numbers, they are against the TOS
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
tk338's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 1,268
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 24th 2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCraig View Post
Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're having a dandy day!!

Let's just imagine - for a moment - that you were put in charge of trying to deal with a budgie that has gone completely mental. [That's right - a budgie - one of those little birds] Just how much force would you use in order to control that budgie? Now let's say that after repeated attempts - the budgie flies straight into one your eyes - causing you great pain. And no matter what you say or do - that budgie is completely out of control. There is only so much force that you CAN use. Too much - and you might literally kill that little bird.

Well.... I think that might be how it is [Or CAN be] when an adult tries to restrain an out of control [Edited by Casey:Removing weight numbers] person. It's not easy. In fact - it would probably be easier to restrain a [Edited] person. At least then you're not worried so much about actually causing them irreparable harm. Do you see what I mean?!

Should that little girl have been lasered - even IF it was for the briefest of moments? I honestly don't know. I wasn't there.

That said.....

The next time YOUR mom [Or dad - or whoever it is who is taking care of you] says, "BED TIME!" - you just might want to remember this story. lol

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!
I'm with ya!

If he was to turn round push the girl,or put her arms behind her back, whatever cops have to do then a quick taser-ing ok would hut, but like you said not do any irreparable damage! A young girl like that would have weak bones, and much smaller muscle compared to a guy like him.

There may also be some psychology in it, him hit in the groin he'd been TOLD to taser her if need be, so maybe it was at the back of his mind and something snapped at the back of his mind as he was hit in the groin...

All I can say is a cop was sent to deal with this situation, young kids can sit up all night and make a fuss, he wasn't leaving till she was dealt with, its not something you could call for backup on so it was just him and his judgement left as to how to deal with her.

Sounds like she was being pretty unruly though, I kind of want to side with him, a taser won't kill someone, unless they have a heart condition or something, and sure it hurt but it sounds like what she needed!



How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

Last edited by Casey.; November 28th 2009 at 04:36 AM.
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while
********
 
Nightblood.'s Avatar
 
Gender: She/Her
Location: United States

Posts: 1,829
Blog Entries: 37
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: Cop Tasers Girl For Resisting bedtime. - November 25th 2009, 01:52 PM

I do have to say though, I know the father is trying to get custody and I think he should have it. Because by the sounds of it, even if something is missing and the taser was necessary, the mother obviously can't keep control of her kid.



"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
bedtime, cop, girl, resisting, tasers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.