TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Survey_Man Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Arrow School Violence - November 24th 2009, 12:17 AM

I’m doing a report about school violence and events such as Columbine High School, when two teenagers went to school with a gun and killed their fellow students. I have a survey that I assembled as well as just general curiosity on views on such an event.

I personally view such shooters as troubled teenagers who’s teenage angst and feelings of isolation has pushed them to their breaking point. Much similarly to someone who commits suicide, statistics have actually shown that most teenage shooters also intend on killing themselves afterwards.

Basically I was wondering what you think. Can you see why someone might get to such a point that this seems like the answer? If your friend was going to commit such an act, would you know about it? Why do you think somebody might do something like this?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
l0stCause Offline
chaos walks
Junior TeenHelper

Re: School Violence - November 24th 2009, 01:40 AM

why does somebody kill any1. its anger. every1 get angry at times but if u dont do sumthing about it than it builds up and its that built up supressed rage that makes kids snap(in my opinion) its not like joe average is gunna pull out a uzi and start mowing down kids in the hall but when u mix an unstable teen with years of repressed anger there is a chance they'll go nuts and take out there hatred on ppl around them.

“Chaos is the score upon which reality is written.”

(#3 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: School Violence - November 24th 2009, 02:31 AM

On one hand I don't much care for the reasons, as there is no excuse for such actions. On the other it's important to know the reasons so we might prevent further acts of violence. I think in the case of Columbine it was more than just snapping. They had carefully planed this out, in fact their plan didn't even work. They had planned to shoot these tanks outside the school causing an explosion and then shoot people as they were being evacutated from the school. Had this worked they would have killed a lot more people. That's about calculation. And I think for a person to come up with something like that, to want to kill the most people possible, it's more than just, oh they were bullied, or oh their life sucks. There's got to be something wrong inately. And how do we deal with that?

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#4 (permalink)) Old
l0stCause Offline
chaos walks
Junior TeenHelper

Re: School Violence - November 24th 2009, 03:47 AM

when i said they snaped i dont mean it in the crime of passion sense but in the fact that sumthing in the brains broke down in order for them to even plan sumthin so horrible. yes i believe that there was somthing evil(for lack of better word) in those kids but the abuse the recieved at school added to that hatred and also gave them a common enemy to fight against.

“Chaos is the score upon which reality is written.”

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: School Violence - November 24th 2009, 04:13 PM

While I would keep school shootings away from usual "school violence" I agree with your points. However the Columbine thing, while planned out, was essentially triggered by the school's actions. What's interesting is the bizarre reactions many schools took in reactions to the shootings, which were in fact later condemned by the US Secret Service.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: School Violence - November 24th 2009, 04:24 PM

i agree with u guys. also i think therapists shud be trained in restraints...ive personally planned horrible acts like killing my therapist and doctor and then myself...with wat was in theoffice i cud have done it
  Send a message via Skype™ to formerly chevyguy350 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: School Violence - November 24th 2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy350 View Post
i agree with u guys. also i think therapists shud be trained in restraints...ive personally planned horrible acts like killing my therapist and doctor and then myself...with wat was in theoffice i cud have done it
I work on mental health wards and all the people that work there - therapists, doctors, health care assistants, nurses - are trained in restraint and how to defend themselves.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: School Violence - November 24th 2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
I work on mental health wards and all the people that work there - therapists, doctors, health care assistants, nurses - are trained in restraint and how to defend themselves.
but glass figurines and guitars and computers wud do alot of damage to the head...that was my plan then...and take the keys and take an od.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: School Violence - November 24th 2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy350 View Post
but glass figurines and guitars and computers wud do alot of damage to the head...that was my plan then...and take the keys and take an od.
I think you're very much underestimating your therapist! I doubt you'd get as far as actually smashing her with the glass figurine, never mind then getting to the drugs.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: School Violence - November 25th 2009, 03:12 AM

they are obviously very troubled and have some underlying problem if they're going to go and shoot their classmates. i just find the whole situation terribly sad. on one hand, i am angry at the people who do things like this.. but also i can't help but feel they were failed. but i guess sometimes people just don't show many signs.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: School Violence - November 25th 2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Basically I was wondering what you think. Can you see why someone might get to such a point that this seems like the answer?
I can definitely see how someone would get to that point. My freshman year of high school I had almost all the sophomores saying cruel things, trying to push me down the stairs, throwing stuff at me, and in one class I had another freshman try to feel me up every day. They all joked about me doing something like that too. I wouldn't, but I can see how someone else would.

Quote:
If your friend was going to commit such an act, would you know about it?
It depends on how close we are, but thankfully I don't think any of my friends would do this. Although I also don't see much bullying at my school, and yeah you might say its going on but really? not near as much as a lot of schools. (I moved sophomore year) We also have a club called Friends Of Rachel, and I think that helps.

Quote:
Why do you think somebody might do something like this?
Anger, Revenge, Psychosis, any number of underlying mental disorders. The list goes on.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: School Violence - December 2nd 2009, 10:05 PM

Just because you hit someone with a object doesnt mean your crazy and should be on drugs.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: School Violence - December 2nd 2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
Just because you hit someone with a object doesnt mean your crazy and should be on drugs.
wow never thot of tht one before why wud i think im crazy bc of tht? i was sayin they left the counselor vulnerable

"Smooth seas do not a skilled sailor make."-mark twain
Closed Thread