TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

View Poll Results: Is Chivalry Dead?
Yes, it died many years ago. 3 15.00%
No, but it is a hidden, dormant trait. 7 35.00%
No, but its appearance has changed over the decades. 9 45.00%
No, it lives on in the Titanic!<3 1 5.00%
No, it can be seen everywhere! 0 0%
What is chivalry? 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xoxtammixox Offline
Gilmore Girls ADDICT!(:
Average Joe

Name: Tavia

Lightbulb Is Chivalry Dead? - December 23rd 2009, 05:11 PM

Is chivalry dead? Is it still alvie? Is it right there in front of us, yet it has changed over the years? What do you believe as far as this forever-puzzling question? What do you believe chivalry is?

Please, at least take the time to take the above poll, so we can get a better idea of where chivalry stands in modern society.

Send a message via AIM to xoxtammixox Send a message via MSN to xoxtammixox Send a message via Yahoo to xoxtammixox  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Is Chivalry Dead? - December 23rd 2009, 05:20 PM

It would be much more common these days, but some woman would moan about it and complain it's sexist.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Is Chivalry Dead? - December 23rd 2009, 05:41 PM

It's in danger of dying. It's gradually getting harder to reconcile chivalry and the changes brought in by gender equality - can you really imagine a chivalrous, non-sexist society?
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Is Chivalry Dead? - December 23rd 2009, 05:50 PM

the nature of chivaliry shouldn't have to be gendered, people should act that way toward men and women, and it should be from both men and women. There's nothing wrong with decentcy. But people shouldnt be doing it because women 'need it more' or some silly reason like that. Holding a door open for someone, I think thats nice, but you shouldn't only hold it for women, for example.

And the definition is:

Quote:
chiv⋅al⋅ry

1. the sum of the ideal qualifications of a knight, including courtesy, generosity, valor, and dexterity in arms. 2. the rules and customs of medieval knighthood. 3. the medieval system or institution of knighthood. 4. a group of knights. 5. gallant warriors or gentlemen: fair ladies and noble chivalry. 6. Archaic. a chivalrous act; gallant deed.
I think if people acted like that, society would be nicer.

But people are too selfish and caught up in themselves, society is lacking such behaviour.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Is Chivalry Dead? - December 23rd 2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post
It would be much more common these days, but some woman would moan about it and complain it's sexist.
Yup. I held a door for a woman once, and she proceeded to do just that, only I believe the term was "sexist pig." So I slammed it in her face.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Is Chivalry Dead? - December 24th 2009, 01:04 AM

It's not dead, but it's on its death bed in all likelihood. I honestly think it will always be around, but it doesn't matter as much as it used to by far. Anymore, a guy lacking chivalry often makes them "cool."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lottie Offline
Retro TH'er- since 2007.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lottie

Re: Is Chivalry Dead? - December 24th 2009, 02:19 AM

I do believe it's dead. However, the odd one shows up...and then walks away before I attempt to steal them xD I just think manners in general have gone out the window. But i'm getting old xD

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Is Chivalry Dead? - December 24th 2009, 02:25 AM

It's not dead in my book, depends on what you consider chivalry. I think it's respecting others and treating a lady 'right' which includes a fair bit of romance and respect as well as being quite strictly faithful. With the same sex it's more respect and loyalty I would say. It's difficult to describe, but my view is fairly old-fashioned.
I do think it's lacking with many though.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

(#9 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Is Chivalry Dead? - December 24th 2009, 02:55 AM

Okay well, i was thinking about not replying to this. But i decided too. I don't want to cause anything, i am sharing my view and the things i know.

What people think is Chivalry isn't what it actually was. Chivalry is the Knights code of Honor, the thing they live by to be Knights. It isn't just being nice to ladies, it is more then that. So in truth, what people think chivalry is, isn't really there all that much anymore. But what it actually is, is still alive but people don't know what it is exactly.

There are four main things of Chivalry
Prowess
Truthfulness
Loyalty
And Benevolence

Prowess means Excellence, To do everything excellent, and doing nothing less. Might not being something you enjoy, but you do it anyway the best you can anyway.

Truthfulness means to tell the truth ALL the time, never to tell a lie and never let someone else tell a lie when you know it is a lie.

Loyalty means you stick to your word. You say you are going to be somewhere at 7 o'clock so you will be there. Don't give someone your word that you don't intend to keep.

And Benevolence means the will to do good. Some people will go out of their way to help others, only if there is no harm to you. Not many will go out of their way to help someone when it might harm or cost you something, But that is what a knight did. Went out of their way everyday to seek danger to help someone.

So those four things are what Chivalry is pretty much, there is more info with them but i can't remember it all. So truth is, Chivalry is still out there in some people.

This info all comes from a family friend of mine who i have heard give this speech about 100 times by now. He was trained in swords from back then, and so knows about knights. If there is anymore of this you want to know, feel free to PM me and i am willing to share.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Is Chivalry Dead? - December 24th 2009, 01:57 PM

OK, in light of the updated definition I'd say it's dead and it's not. I've got relatives in both the Bearnese/Basque region of France and in Paris. In the south it's well alive - at one point we dropped into a shepherd's house and he frankly asked us if anyone wanted to take a shower. We'd send letters by giving them to other hikers to post. People generally take other people's needs into consideration.

Now Paris, that's another matter. I knew a Bearnese guide who upon reaching Paris for the first time, made the mistake of asking someone what time it was. Basically everyone lives in their own microcosm, expecting other people to basically leave them alone.

So it depends on where you live, your lifestyle basically.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
xoxtammixox Offline
Gilmore Girls ADDICT!(:
Average Joe

Name: Tavia

Re: Is Chivalry Dead? - December 29th 2009, 03:10 AM

Hmmm. I like all the different opinions. Although, I did not really aim to get views upon the whole knighthood thing. I was talking more along the lines of the chivalry we all knew and connected with romance and (apparently) sexism.

Personally I was surprised as to the whole sexism concept. I had never really thought much about the subject in the terms of sexism... I had always actually thought it was somewhat nice, now that might by my eldered spirit inside of me, but that is how I think. I just always thought that it was nice for a female to be treated like a lady, as long as the man was treated like gentleman in return(:

Send a message via AIM to xoxtammixox Send a message via MSN to xoxtammixox Send a message via Yahoo to xoxtammixox  
Closed Thread