TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Aston Martin are OVERPRICED TOYOTAS! - December 29th 2009, 04:50 AM

ASTON MARTINS ARE JUST OVERPRICED TOYOTAS!

YES THEY ARE look at this...
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...hotos_and_info

Well...

Actually Aston Martin was rumors to release a over priced toyota which is based on a toyota vehicle that is even cheaper and smaller than the Toyota Yaris( the honda fit/ ford fiesta competitor)... which is called the Toyota iQ.

When i look at this vehicle... i just laugh but really this car is genius???

Because consumer confidence is down and the luxury brand is no longer owned by ford.. It is owned by a smaller company with small pockets. For them to maximize profit, this could be it.

Also I must add that this could start a wave of luxury compacts. Maybe it wont cost buyers 42k but maybe in the low 30k's

Because really cars are getting really big in the US, and maybe in Europe???(compared to the past)

For example in the US the honda accord was always considered as a midsize size vehicl. now its a full size car...

And also the young generations will be able to afford these in the near future(6-10 years) even though 6 to 10 years seems like a long time... in the car industry its really about 2 car models.

If i have alot of money I want to buy a luxury car... but not a huge one.

So i hope other car makers will do the same but provide a product that is small, thrifty on gas, feature rich... ect..

I know that sounds like the mini but it kind of boring and the Audi A3 is unreliable.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Aston Martin are OVERPRICED TOYOTAS! - December 29th 2009, 01:24 PM

That just doesn't seem right. Aston Martin is one of those types of cars that you'll know what it is right when you see it. This changes everything...in my opinion, it actually degrades the Aston Martin. This is like...a Ferrari making a 2010 Camaro. Yeah, that's cool and all, but they're just shooting themselves in the foot by taking someone elses design, and making it theirs. It just doesn't make sense. We're talking about top knotch luxury vehicles with plenty of horsepower creating a MINICAR that was originally created by Toyota. What the hell are they thinking? Aston Martin should stick with their guns, let Asian and American car companies make the cars that have superior gas mileage.

There's nothing genius about it. It just has superior gas mileage, which can be a great thing and all, but just look at when the 2010 Camaro came out...you'll see one every now and then. It's not all about the gas mileage, it's about the horsepower involved. The "Cygnet" doesn't represent an Aston Martin at all.

I guess we'll find out what happens.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Aston Martin are OVERPRICED TOYOTAS! - December 29th 2009, 08:16 PM

In the end its all about business.

Look at porsche. In the 90's they almost went bankrupt, because 911's profit and sales are not high enough. SO they start making the boxter. After that they became pretty profitable. But many Porsche fans and lovers hated the boxer because its not a pure Porsche.

in the mid 2000's Porsche started to sell the SUV, after that Porsche was the MOST profitable car company in the industry. Eventhough people who do not actually own porches hates it the most. but a lot of rich luxury buyers loves them... Because at this point Aston Martin doesnt have the support of ford. Which use to provide them alot of help. Such as supplier connections, design facilities etc... Ford failed because they failed to expand the brand. I think their next step should be to build a mid size CUV and mid size sedan with almost 400 hp

(#4 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Q - December 29th 2009, 10:56 PM

Hi Tomb!!

I hope you're having a dandy day.

I go to a lot of car sites. I even have a few of my own. [Yahoo Groups] I love cars!! ALL CARS!! And there has been quite a bit of 'talk' about the Aston Martinized iQ. Not all of it is positive. In fact - most of it is negative. [Most guys siding with Brandon] But I think it's a great idea. Besides - how else is Aston Martin ever going to know if that kind of car would ever be accepted. [And more importantly - BOUGHT!!] I don't think it degrades the brand either. Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz all make BICYCLES!! And BMW has even designed and sold a SKATE BOARD!! lol

Those of us living in the U.S. and Canada are so used to believing that luxury and BIG go hand in hand. But that's all going to change. There are still going to be big cars - but something like the ASiQ would make a perfect 'second car'. I can see a lot of them wrapped in a bow and given to the kids of the well-to-do's for Christmas and graduation presents!!

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Aston Martin are OVERPRICED TOYOTAS! - December 29th 2009, 11:45 PM

It certainly is good business. They are the first car luxury/supercar manufacturer to build a compact city car like this, being first will create a lot of talk and attention, as Craig has seen, which means publicity for them! It's a wise business move, face it, when there's been a global recession and still is a recession/credit crunch in the UK, any attention is good for them. It will be a fun car if the horsepower can effectively transfer to the tarmac without the little car spinning out!
I agree that it is genius, from a marketing and business perspective it's very clever.

I don't think it will be very popular in North America though, they like the big guzzlers here for some reason! I also think this is a little ridiculous:
Toyota Yaris sold in Canada has the fuel efficiency of: 41 - 51 mpg.
Toyota Yaris sold in the UK: 55 - 69 mpg
That is, the fuel efficiency across all models/engines for the UK numbers. Can't seem to access Toyota Canada website...says I need to update the flash player, but I have the newest one...

50+ mpg is unheard of for most cars in the North American market, but fairly common in the european market. The most fuel efficient cars in Europe all have mpg of over 64 mpg.
Quote:
The car which tops the list is the Citroen C1, followed by the Toyota Aygo, Renault Clio, Citroen C2, Fiat New Panda, Toyota Prius gasoline hybrid, Citroen C3, Vauxhall Corsa, Peugeot 206, and another model of the Vauxhall Corsa.

In the United States, the top 10 most fuel-efficient cars have efficiency ranging from 30 miles per gallon to just over 60

Source
I'm glad they've brought attention to smaller cars though.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

(#6 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Aston Martin are OVERPRICED TOYOTAS! - December 30th 2009, 12:17 PM

Hi Guys!!

According to a report I found on Autoblog.com - only someone who buys a BIG Aston can buy the little Aston. Sound's like a cool idea. It will be interesting to see how successful it is. You don't always know why something becomes a status symbol. Maybe the well to do with think the Aston Martin Cygnet is a lark - and basically buy them just for 'stocking stuffers'!! lol

Click this sentence to read the article

GBH
- Craig!!

Closed Thread