TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Tomb's Avatar
 
Age: 31

Posts: 319
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 30th 2009, 06:00 PM

People say weed is not addictive and it does not cause harm?

What are their views on giving 3 to 7 year olds weed?

What do they think? Does it create harm??

Im a against drugs and weed. I just think weed users argue passionately are irrational, even though there is a growing body of scientific evidence that weed is bad for people.

would these weed users give their drugs to their own children. if its a yes or a no please give me a good reason.

If you say no, why the double standard?
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while
********
 
Double X's Avatar
 
Name: Kyle
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,621
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: March 11th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 30th 2009, 06:16 PM

Oh the growing research, you mean that one, politically funded research that you posted?

And I view weed the same as I do alcohol. I sure as hell wouldn't give a 3 year old alcohol either.

There was a UCLA study recently, largest one ever, that shows that marijuana does not cause cancer.


"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while
********
 
TigerTank77's Avatar
 
Name: Ben
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: NY

Posts: 1,534
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 30th 2009, 06:27 PM

Someone is getting a little too into this debate.

Not everyone is going to have the same opinion as you, especially if you're going to call them irrational for not agreeing with you.

No, for the same reason we don't let kids have alcohol or cigarettes. That's not a double standard, it's called "not giving your children things that could kill them in their still weak and developing state"


Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.





  Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while
********
 
Music's Avatar
 
Name: Richard
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Alberta, Canada

Posts: 1,575
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 30th 2009, 06:32 PM

I haven't seen any growing research saying weed is harmful to people. I'm not for or against the use of drugs, I think of myself as neutral and I haven't seen any conclusive studies.

Also, some prescription drugs and over the counter medications aren't safe for children under the age of 10, yet they're accepted by society. So your argument is kind of flawed.


Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Fucking Done's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Posts: 658
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 30th 2009, 06:56 PM

If they wanted to have it and they already started smoking it then sure I would.
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
losing touch.'s Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 5,996
Blog Entries: 537
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 30th 2009, 07:11 PM

why don't we just give it to babies at birth while we're at it?.

urgh. no of course i wouldn't give weed to child under 10.. regardless of my opinions on it.


..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..



   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
hopefaithlove's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: United States

Posts: 1,332
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 30th 2009, 07:37 PM

Weed is harmful to people. It affects the brain functioning. At a young age, the brain is not fully done growing, so it could really affect a child's future brain functioning.

I really hope that no one would give weed to a child. Children under age 10 do not know what they're doing anyway, so they could not consent to smoking it.

Drugs are illegal anyway, so NO ONE should be smoking weed.


There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while
********
 
Double X's Avatar
 
Name: Kyle
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,621
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: March 11th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 30th 2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefaithlove View Post
Weed is harmful to people. It affects the brain functioning. At a young age, the brain is not fully done growing, so it could really affect a child's future brain functioning.

I really hope that no one would give weed to a child. Children under age 10 do not know what they're doing anyway, so they could not consent to smoking it.

Drugs are illegal anyway, so NO ONE should be smoking weed.
Yup, everything illegal is always wrong and the government is always right. No one should ever break the law ever.


"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Alexx's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: England

Posts: 150
Join Date: November 10th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 30th 2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefaithlove View Post
Weed is harmful to people. It affects the brain functioning. At a young age, the brain is not fully done growing, so it could really affect a child's future brain functioning.

I really hope that no one would give weed to a child. Children under age 10 do not know what they're doing anyway, so they could not consent to smoking it.

Drugs are illegal anyway, so NO ONE should be smoking weed.
This sums up what I was going to say

I would certainly not give my children it, especially at that age, it'd be damaging on their already fragile little brains.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough
*********
 
Union Of V's Avatar
 
Name: Basil!!!
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Location: Cork, Ireland

Posts: 2,017
Blog Entries: 22
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 30th 2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
Yup, everything illegal is always wrong and the government is always right. No one should ever break the law ever.
The point was more that giving weed to a child is somewhat forcing them to break the law, but anyway since there's conclusive evidence that even alcohol damages the brain, I think weed is out of the question.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while
********
 
Double X's Avatar
 
Name: Kyle
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,621
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: March 11th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 30th 2009, 08:01 PM

I just hate when someone's rationale behind not doing something is purely because it's illegal. I was addressing the last line.


"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 30th 2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb View Post
People say weed is not addictive and it does not cause harm?

What are their views on giving 3 to 7 year olds weed?

What do they think? Does it create harm??

Im a against drugs and weed. I just think weed users argue passionately are irrational, even though there is a growing body of scientific evidence that weed is bad for people.

would these weed users give their drugs to their own children. if its a yes or a no please give me a good reason.

If you say no, why the double standard?
The issue I'm having is just what you mean by "harm" or being "bad". There are studies showing it damages the respiratory system if smoked and there's evidence of possible long-term memory damage, along with correlations to certain cancers. Despite this, there are some prescription medications that use some of the properties of weed.

Would I give weed to a kid? Not a chance for the same reason I wouldn't give a kid alcohol to drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefaithlove
Weed is harmful to people. It affects the brain functioning
This is a moot argument for anyone that understands a thing or two about physiology. When you focus on something, such as reading this post, your brain functioning changes. Your brain function and chemistry is affected and changes for you to exhibit any behavior and any action you want, so this is a moot argument as I could apply this same logic to saying that math affects brain function, thus, math is bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefaithlove
Children under age 10 do not know what they're doing anyway, so they could not consent to smoking it.
What evidence do you have showing children under 10 years old don't know what they're doing? I'm pretty sure when a 10-year old kicks a ball, he/she knew what they were doing. What evidence do you have to the contrary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefaithlove

Drugs are illegal anyway, so NO ONE should be smoking weed.


True, it is illegal but that's hardly an argument as you're using your definition of a drug to justify why they shouldn't be used. It's circular reasoning: drugs are illegal therefore you shouldn't do a certain drug if it's illegal.
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Gingerbread Latte's Avatar
 
Name: Cara
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Scotland

Posts: 6,716
Blog Entries: 136
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 30th 2009, 10:04 PM

Why would anyone be giving children that age weed? If they do they're just stupid even if it doesn't cause harm. You wouldn't want 3 year olds smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol so why would you want to give them illegal drugs?


   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict
************
 
.Brittany.'s Avatar
 
Name: Brittany
Gender: Female
Location: 100 Acre Woods

Posts: 7,924
Blog Entries: 209
Join Date: January 12th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 30th 2009, 10:43 PM

If I honestly had it my way, I wouldn't let anyone smoke pot, but 10 year olds? Thats WAY too young.



“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”


HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 30th 2009, 10:47 PM

No children don't need to be exposed to weed at such a young age.


  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Khadra's Avatar
 
Name: Kathlene
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Lima, Peru

Posts: 736
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 31st 2009, 05:07 AM

Drug use should be a decision someone makes only when they are old enough to completely understand what happens to them when they take the drug and what the possible consequences are from the drug. I´m not a psychiatrist, but it seems like getting high is something that could mess with a child´s development and perception of things.

Some people believe in living for the quality of life rather than the quantity of life. For some people taking drugs increases their quality of life (at least in their opinion), so the risk that their life could be cut short is worth it. A child is too young to make a decision like that for themself, but for an adult it is perfectly reasonable.


It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)


Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Stardaze's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: California

Posts: 5,799
Blog Entries: 275
Join Date: November 7th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 31st 2009, 08:21 AM

My opinion is that no one should be smoking weed.
What purpose is giving a child weed going to serve?

Just plain stupidity to me. :|




   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
her_beautiful_mistake's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Gender: Female
Location: Britland

Posts: 2,262
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 31st 2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
I just hate when someone's rationale behind not doing something is purely because it's illegal. I was addressing the last line.
Gosh yes, what an awful rationale.

Are you actually serious?

What stops you from going into a large supermarket and walking out with what you want without paying? Or driving over the speed limit, or after a glass of wine? Or doing anything else that you (wrongly or rightly) consider harmless but is illegal? You will be stopped and prosecuted. The law affects our actions and how we live our lives every single day. You can't critise someone for not doing something because it's illegal, because that's just plain common sense. Is the pleasure you get from cannabis worth the risk of a criminal record and all the rest if you get caught? For me that would be a no, I would not be able to go to University to study what I want to, I would not be able to work in the area I want to, I'd lose my job I have now... It's an incredibly sensibly rationale.

And I think the question is all wrong, to be honest, a very flawwed arguement and I'm of the opinion weed IS harmful.
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough
*********
 
Union Of V's Avatar
 
Name: Basil!!!
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Location: Cork, Ireland

Posts: 2,017
Blog Entries: 22
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 31st 2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
What stops you from going into a large supermarket and walking out with what you want without paying? Or driving over the speed limit, or after a glass of wine? Or doing anything else that you (wrongly or rightly) consider harmless but is illegal? You will be stopped and prosecuted. The law affects our actions and how we live our lives every single day. You can't critise someone for not doing something because it's illegal, because that's just plain common sense. Is the pleasure you get from cannabis worth the risk of a criminal record and all the rest if you get caught? For me that would be a no, I would not be able to go to University to study what I want to, I would not be able to work in the area I want to, I'd lose my job I have now... It's an incredibly sensibly rationale.
Morals. I'm atheist so I have morals.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Kingston upon Hull/ Brighton, UK

Posts: 1,494
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 31st 2009, 04:42 PM

No I wouldn't give weed to children. And no I do not think weed is particularly harmful due to the incredibly large quantities of evidence and personal experience which tells me so.

The reasons I would not give weed to children are simple:

1. Children are not mature enough to handle being under the influence of weed. While many adults also are not mature there obviously needs to be a cut-off point.
2. We do not know what effects weed may have on the developing body of a child, studies on weed (at least the ones I have seen) have been exclusively carried out on adults. There would have to be more research carried out on this before I would be confident to say "it'd be fine for children to have weed".
3. Weed is smoked with tobacco most often, tobacco unlike weed is harmful. Tobacco is also not available to children, therefore giving weed + tobacco to children is a bad idea.
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough
*********
 
Jesus Christ.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,301
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 31st 2009, 05:57 PM

This is one of the most stupid things ever... Adults enjoy lots of things that children aren't allowed, alcohol, cigarettes, sex to name but a few, and nobody wants anyone under that age to be taking/doing these things.

And to be honest, weed is pretty much harmless, well, compared to lots of legal things. And if you ask me it should be cigarettes that are illegal and not weed. They're much more harmful.
And has there actually been any reliable evidence to show that weed causes long-term mental damage to a mentally well person (As in 100% weed, not weed mixed with other things)?
And, also how 'damaging' actually is weed according to you (referring to the general public)? It's not cancer causing, and even tap water may be carcinogenic, so that makes weed less damaging than tap water in my opinion.
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough
*********
 
Union Of V's Avatar
 
Name: Basil!!!
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Location: Cork, Ireland

Posts: 2,017
Blog Entries: 22
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 31st 2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post
This is one of the most stupid things ever... Adults enjoy lots of things that children aren't allowed, alcohol, cigarettes, sex to name but a few, and nobody wants anyone under that age to be taking/doing these things.
Well, firstly people don't want teens having sex because it can be harmful. End of story.

But you just made me realize something - do we really want children running around high? Young children are hard enough to look after as it is, they simply don't understand consequence. Imagine what it would be like if they were high? The child mortality rate would soar!
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 31st 2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post
This is one of the most stupid things ever... Adults enjoy lots of things that children aren't allowed, alcohol, cigarettes, sex to name but a few, and nobody wants anyone under that age to be taking/doing these things.
Why is it stupid? An adult can weigh the consequences, understand the details of what the drug does and so forth. Can a 3-year old understand this? No. Can a 3-year old willingly have sex? I doubt they even know what sex is. But let's think of it this way: adults who drink or get high or snort or shoot whatever drugs can potentially do damage to themselves or others. Now if we add younger children into this mix, we'll likely have many kids being impaired by drugs and since they can cause anatomical changes in adults, if done in brains of 3-year olds, that's probably going to be very harmful to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post
And to be honest, weed is pretty much harmless, well, compared to lots of legal things. And if you ask me it should be cigarettes that are illegal and not weed. They're much more harmful.
This isn't about whether weed should be legal or illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post
And has there actually been any reliable evidence to show that weed causes long-term mental damage to a mentally well person (As in 100% weed, not weed mixed with other things)?
Yes actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post
And, also how 'damaging' actually is weed according to you (referring to the general public)? It's not cancer causing, and even tap water may be carcinogenic, so that makes weed less damaging than tap water in my opinion.
OK, let's list off a few things here. Weed has been correlated with certain cancers, smoking 1 weed joint has been shown to be more damaging than smoking a few cigarettes, weed has been shown to damage one's long-term memory if used long-term, etc... . Comparing it to tap water is not a good analogy because you don't know what's in the tap water. Maybe something carcinogenic is in it, maybe it isn't, you don't know though. For weed, it's known what is in there when these studies are performed. Poor argument and poor analogy.
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 24
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,685
Blog Entries: 121
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 31st 2009, 07:36 PM

Giving a little kid an illegal drug is forcing them to break the law, and teaching them that it's okay to do so. Regardless of the damage weed might cause, and whether it's bad for you or not, the law tells us we can't have it. So why would you encourage a little kid to ignore the government's laws? We don't get to decide whether or not a law is just. Either way, we have to follow it. That's the way the world works. You don't get to decide you're not going to follow a law, and you don't get to force other people to break one.





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough
*********
 
Jesus Christ.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,301
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 31st 2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
OK, let's list off a few things here. Weed has been correlated with certain cancers, smoking 1 weed joint has been shown to be more damaging than smoking a few cigarettes, weed has been shown to damage one's long-term memory if used long-term, etc... . Comparing it to tap water is not a good analogy because you don't know what's in the tap water. Maybe something carcinogenic is in it, maybe it isn't, you don't know though. For weed, it's known what is in there when these studies are performed. Poor argument and poor analogy.
Fine then, you wouldn't mind posting links to some reliable sources then?
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Alexx's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: England

Posts: 150
Join Date: November 10th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 31st 2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post
And to be honest, weed is pretty much harmless, well, compared to lots of legal things. And if you ask me it should be cigarettes that are illegal and not weed. They're much more harmful.
And has there actually been any reliable evidence to show that weed causes long-term mental damage to a mentally well person (As in 100% weed, not weed mixed with other things)?
And, also how 'damaging' actually is weed according to you (referring to the general public)? It's not cancer causing, and even tap water may be carcinogenic, so that makes weed less damaging than tap water in my opinion.
In my experience, weed isn't pretty much harmless at all, as it made me a paranoid nervous wreck even when I wasn't stoned.

I'm not trying to go against your arguement or anything - just saying it can be quite harmful with the wrong person
   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 31st 2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOfNyx View Post
Giving a little kid an illegal drug is forcing them to break the law, and teaching them that it's okay to do so. Regardless of the damage weed might cause, and whether it's bad for you or not, the law tells us we can't have it. So why would you encourage a little kid to ignore the government's laws? We don't get to decide whether or not a law is just. Either way, we have to follow it. That's the way the world works. You don't get to decide you're not going to follow a law, and you don't get to force other people to break one.
They may be breaking the law but could you imagine charging a 3-year old for drinking alcohol if someone gave it to him/her? The adult giving it would face the charges, not the child. The adult would also get a pile of other charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897
Fine then, you wouldn't mind posting links to some reliable sources then?
I'm using standard APA citation:

Reece, Albert Stuart. (2009). Chronic toxicology of cannabis. Clinical Toxicology, 47, 517-524.
Huestegge, L., Radach, R. & Kunert, HJ. (2009). Long-term effects of cannabis on oculomotor function in humans. Journal of Psychopharmacology, 23, 714-722.
D'Souza, Deepak Cyril, Pittman, Brian, Perry, Edward & Simen, Arthur. (2009). Preliminary evidence of cannabinoid effects on brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in humans. Psychopharmacology, 202, 569-578.
Puighermanal, Emma, Marsicano, Giovanni, Busquets-Garcia, Arnua, Lutz, Beat, Maldonado, Rafael & Ozaita, Andres. (2009). Cannabinoid modulation of hippocampal long-term memory is mediated by mTOR signaling. Nature Neuroscience, 12, 1152-1158.

You can probably find these articles on Google Scholar, although I haven't checked using it. For a nice, quick-to-read article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4244489.stm.
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough
*********
 
Jesus Christ.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,301
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 31st 2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
They may be breaking the law but could you imagine charging a 3-year old for drinking alcohol if someone gave it to him/her? The adult giving it would face the charges, not the child. The adult would also get a pile of other charges.



I'm using standard APA citation:

Reece, Albert Stuart. (2009). Chronic toxicology of cannabis. Clinical Toxicology, 47, 517-524.
Huestegge, L., Radach, R. & Kunert, HJ. (2009). Long-term effects of cannabis on oculomotor function in humans. Journal of Psychopharmacology, 23, 714-722.
D'Souza, Deepak Cyril, Pittman, Brian, Perry, Edward & Simen, Arthur. (2009). Preliminary evidence of cannabinoid effects on brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in humans. Psychopharmacology, 202, 569-578.
Puighermanal, Emma, Marsicano, Giovanni, Busquets-Garcia, Arnua, Lutz, Beat, Maldonado, Rafael & Ozaita, Andres. (2009). Cannabinoid modulation of hippocampal long-term memory is mediated by mTOR signaling. Nature Neuroscience, 12, 1152-1158.

You can probably find these articles on Google Scholar, although I haven't checked using it. For a nice, quick-to-read article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4244489.stm.
Doesn't actually prove cannabis has long term effects, it used words such as 'may' and 'potentially' so it doesn't prove long term effects at all. And also in that study there wasn't exactly a large amount of people participating. Also, that study showed that moderate users showed improvements after a month of having no cannabis, only the heavy users didn't, and they only tested for a month anyway so they don't really know what it would be like after a year of not having it. And I'd also like the add something, too much of anything is bad for you so this doesn't really support your claim.
   
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Gidig's Avatar
 
Name: Maria
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 2,123
Blog Entries: 390
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - December 31st 2009, 09:17 PM

I'd love to see some more studies proving that weed is so harmful.

When you're younger and you give a child weed, the chances it's going to hinder their development is high. I'm personally an advocate for weed, and think it should be legal, but I think it should be like cigarettes (and should be like alcohol which should be 18 imo) , 18 to buy/use/whatever. There's a reason we don't give children mind altering drugs or whatever.

And Rachel, I do want to say that while I may be a rarity, though I don't think I am, I don't feel the laws are always the best for us. The law in America says openly gay people can't serve in the army, I don't think that's right. I also have stolen from a store, have smoked weed, have sped, being illegal does not stop everyone.

There are people who could give two shits about the law, and laws are constantly made and changed. So I don't think that the fact that something is legal or illegal is a good argument. Especially for weed as I'm sure in the future it will be made legal. We already have medicinal marijuana and so forth.



The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough
*********
 
Casey.'s Avatar
 
Name: Casey
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in my mind

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 337
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - January 1st 2010, 06:01 AM

I have a nine year old nephew, would I give him weed? Hell no. Would I give my eighteen year old nephew weed? Sure. There's a difference between a child who couldn't handle a high, and someone who is responsible and mature enough to make the desicion for themselves.

That said, I don't smoke weed, nor will I. Not because it will harm me, the worst it will do is relax me, but because I chose not to. I am not against weed. My closest friends smoke it, half my campus does.It's not a bad thing, it's just what it is. But you have to draw the line somewhere. Children smoking anything is a big no-no. So that includes weed, even if weed is better than cigarettes.


She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.


Smile through the tears.


PM me

  Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - January 1st 2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post
Doesn't actually prove cannabis has long term effects, it used words such as 'may' and 'potentially' so it doesn't prove long term effects at all.
Re-read my post where you asked me for sources, I never said anything about proving anything. I said that there are correlations and "shown", meaning an observation. Nowhere in there did I say proving anything. Also, in science, you cannot truly prove anything so you're left with saying terms such as "may" and "potentially".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post
And also in that study there wasn't exactly a large amount of people participating. Also, that study showed that moderate users showed improvements after a month of having no cannabis, only the heavy users didn't, and they only tested for a month anyway so they don't really know what it would be like after a year of not having it.
Which study are you referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post
And I'd also like the add something, too much of anything is bad for you so this doesn't really support your claim.
Actually it does support my claim because it appears you misread the specific terminology in my claim.
   
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
her_beautiful_mistake's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Gender: Female
Location: Britland

Posts: 2,262
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - January 1st 2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
I also have stolen from a store, have smoked weed, have sped, being illegal does not stop everyone.
Then tbh I think you're a very irresponsible person.

The point about there being laws you don't agree with completely misses my point.
You might not agree with them but you should still think about the concequences of breaking them.

As I said, I may not agree weed should be illegal but I still would not risk my current job and my future career that I have been working so hard for by smoking weed or being associated with it in any way.
To do so is simply foolish... it's just not worth it.

But with speeding its more than that. Not only are you risking fines, points on your licence, losing your licence, being banned from driving but you're risking your own life and more importantly the lives of other people.
Not cool

Last edited by her_beautiful_mistake; January 1st 2010 at 06:59 PM.
   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
her_beautiful_mistake's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Gender: Female
Location: Britland

Posts: 2,262
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - January 1st 2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
Morals. I'm atheist so I have morals.
Do you have to be an atheist to have morals?

I could go all sociological on your ass and talk about why the laws have impacted on the development of your morals.
But to be honest I don't have the energy.

That's a good reason not to do those things though
kudos
   
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
her_beautiful_mistake's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Gender: Female
Location: Britland

Posts: 2,262
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - January 1st 2010, 07:01 PM

I'm loving how little real experience people posting in these threads about cannabis have had.

Come with me to work one day, you'll never smoke it again.
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough
*********
 
Union Of V's Avatar
 
Name: Basil!!!
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Location: Cork, Ireland

Posts: 2,017
Blog Entries: 22
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - January 1st 2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Do you have to be an atheist to have morals?

I could go all sociological on your ass and talk about why the laws have impacted on the development of your morals.
But to be honest I don't have the energy.
Considering my morals are roughly 45 degrees to the law, that would be a waste of time Interestingly I find many Christians confuse their religion with morality, which is why I phrased it thus. If the only thing that stops you doing things is the law or your religion, then you have no morals.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - January 1st 2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake
I'm loving how little real experience people posting in these threads about cannabis have had.
I'm loving how you suggest people should post in these threads only if they've had first-hand experience with cannabis. Does a purely theoretical and pharmacological or physiological aspect have no warrant in such a thread? To say so would be ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
The point about there being laws you don't agree with completely misses my point.
You might not agree with them but you should still think about the concequences of breaking them.
How do you know she didn't think of the consequences or weigh alternatives? Chances are though, everyone has broken a law to some degree. Take for example patting a friend on the shoulder. If the friend is not wanting the pat, then you've committed an assault because although it may not be harmful, it's an unwanted physical touch and intrusion into your friend's space. Other minor or petty actions can technically be considered illegal even if you're not charged with an actual crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
As I said, I may not agree weed should be illegal but I still would not risk my current job and my future career that I have been working so hard for by smoking weed or being associated with it in any way.
To do so is simply foolish... it's just not worth it.
Smoking weed doesn't necessarily jepordize one's future career and current life. I agree that it may result in you associating with a different peer group but it doesn't mean your future career hang in the balance. I do also agree that it can risk your current job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
But with speeding its more than that. Not only are you risking fines, points on your licence, losing your licence, being banned from driving but you're risking your own life and more importantly the lives of other people.
Not cool
I agree with the speeding being much more dangerous and having more consequences than stealing a pair of underwear. But regarding the point you made earlier in your response, how do you know she didn't consider the consequences before speeding? Granted, it may have not been a thorough consideration where she sat down and thought about it but she may have weighed them briefly.
   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
topov Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
topov's Avatar
 
Name: Rach
Age: 31
Gender: Female

Posts: 281
Join Date: December 22nd 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - January 1st 2010, 10:33 PM

It is illegal for a cab in the City of London to carry rabid dogs or corpses

It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside down.

Under the UK’s Tax Avoidance Schemes Regulations 2006, it is illegal not to tell the taxman anything you don’t want him to know, though you don’t have to tell him anything you don’t mind him knowing.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle2251280.ece

because it is against the law, doesn't allways mean its wrong.
can a starving man not steal bread to feed his family.



Ticklish Tattoo!



   
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Rosemma Offline
PullMe IntoYour PerfectCircle.
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Rosemma's Avatar
 
Name: Rosemma
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: London

Posts: 541
Join Date: January 14th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - January 3rd 2010, 04:32 PM

I saw a study on how weed affects people of different ages.
Maybe other people from the UK might have seen this.
They did the study on mice.
They basically tested the mice on many different things tasks after giving them weed at different ages and at different points in their development.

As I saw this quite a long time ago I cant go into detail.
But basically they found that giving weed to mice of a young age (which was teenage years and younger in human years) affected their long term memory.
But it had no long term affects at all on older mice (20s and older in human years).
So the older the mouse the less affect it had on the development of long term memory.

Anyway regardless of this research, I still wouldnt give it to a 10 year old.
Like other people have said, adults enjoy many things that kids arent allowed to do!
And saying that, they should enjoy being childish... they have plenty of time to try things and do things in the future if they really want to.
   
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while
********
 
LucyLouWho's Avatar
 
Name: Chelsey
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: West Virginia, US

Posts: 1,968
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - January 5th 2010, 10:45 PM

Well, inhaling any kind of smoke can't actually be good for you.


Previously Mommy.Wife.Student
   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
her_beautiful_mistake's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Gender: Female
Location: Britland

Posts: 2,262
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Give Weed to children under 10 years old okay? - January 6th 2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
I'm loving how you suggest people should post in these threads only if they've had first-hand experience with cannabis. Does a purely theoretical and pharmacological or physiological aspect have no warrant in such a thread? To say so would be ridiculous.
No it doesn't have no warrant at all, but anyone can tell you that theoretical knowledge will only get you so far. It's the application to clinical situations and experience using that theoretical knowledge that counts.

I was directing that particuarly at those who have said that cannabis is not harmful in the long term; having worked on a mental health ward, meeting psychosis specialists and others, I will never smoke weed again because I have seen first hand the effects that in can have in some people.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
children, give, weed, years

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.