TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while
********
 
St.Vincent's Avatar
 
Name: Edna
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere Across Forever

Posts: 1,269
Blog Entries: 102
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 7th 2010, 08:08 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

What do you all think of this?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/01/06...nce/index.html

Tricky, huh?

Ok since this thread doesn't seem to be the hotspot for debate...

Given the rising numbers of obese people, how would you (as an advertising/public education expert) encourage healthy lifestyles and healthy body image when it has been proven again and again that obese people do not live a healthy life style. How do you say "you obese and you need to lose weight" without compromising people's body image and enforcing a the media ideal that happy people are skinny people.


I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

Last edited by St.Vincent; January 7th 2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: more information
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
her_beautiful_mistake's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Gender: Female
Location: Britland

Posts: 2,262
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 7th 2010, 11:32 PM

Defintley. So many people seem to think they have a problem with body image. No, you are actually overweight, the health concequences are massive.

I do sympathise as I'm overweight myself, but helping people feel better about their overweight bodies isn't going to solve the problem. If you feel confident in your body that's fantastic, but if you're not healthy, you should be working to lose that weight, not just accepting it.
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
losing touch.'s Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 5,996
Blog Entries: 537
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 7th 2010, 11:42 PM

yes it definitely is.

to be honest, too many fat people hide behind the whole 'i'm happy as i am, i shouldn't change' nonsense. fat people should be encouraged to lose weight, not told that they're fine as they are. being fat is not healthy and if you're overweight or obese it is likely to lead to health problems. it's great if fat people can feel good about themselves, because i wouldn't want people to hate themselves for being fat.. but this woman crying because the doctor expressed concern about her daughters health is just ridiculous. i don't really support doctors telling young kids to lose weight - because growing up your weight can go up and down and usually settles, that is, of course - unless the child is seriously obese, then something needs to be said.

and before someone says 'you've probably never been fat so it's easy for you to say' well i have been actually, i never used to be.. but when i was put on steroids and some other medication i put on a lot of weight and it's not easy to lose weight, but it's definitely not impossible. it's all about will power. i have no sympathy for people who say they've 'tried everything' and can't lose weight - cos tbh it's a load of rubbish. unless you have some unusual health condition which makes you gain loads of weight then yes, you can lose weight.


..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..



   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while
********
 
St.Vincent's Avatar
 
Name: Edna
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere Across Forever

Posts: 1,269
Blog Entries: 102
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 12:45 AM

The thing that I wish could happen is we would start idolizing "healthy" instead of "skinny", because we know that skinny doesn't imply healthy. But I read this article in WaPo which offered a pretty good explanation for the runway anorexia:

Quote:
All those emaciated models have to be seen against the backdrop of a population that is overwhelmingly afflicted with obesity. It has to be viewed in the context of a first lady who has taken up the cause of healthy eating and exercise because nearly one in three children in the United States is either overweight or obese....


....By its very nature, fashion is a business of falsehoods and costumes, all in service to self-definition. The uncomfortable truth about the fashion industry is it has a knack for tapping into unspoken cultural obsessions and taboos. Fashion sets up a rarefied world of perfection that is, in many ways, defined by how much it differs from the mundane, from the norm. And all indicators suggest that as a culture, we hate what we are becoming: fat.
So, it's difficult. I guess it's also hard to "show" health.. it's easier to show skinny.


I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while
********
 
Double X's Avatar
 
Name: Kyle
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,621
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: March 11th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 01:28 AM

Ohhh. Yes I completely agree. It really sucks but people should be encouraged to be healthy. I took a nutrition course and besides self-control, a lot of it has to do with the situation someone is in. Stop surrounding oneself with fatty/junkie foods, when one feels the need to eat excessively, eat a low calorie/high filling food like greek yogurt or green beans. I still binge eat occasionally, but now when I do it is some peppers and grapes rather than a bag of chips.


"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Xujhan's Avatar
 
Name: Fletcher
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,024
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 01:49 AM

Yes, it's a problem. Anorexia is bad, certainly, but obesity is by far the more prevalent problem in north america. The message has changed from "Fat is ugly, you need to lose weight" to "it's okay to be fat!" Nicer message, but still not the right one. "Fat is unhealthy, you need to lose weight" is what most people need to be hearing.


The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough
*********
 
Jesus Christ.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,301
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 01:57 AM

I don't think there should be an image going around that 'it's okay to be fat' but whilst I think this I don't think that fat people should be unaccepted.
Because there is such an obesity problem in the world people should be made properly aware of what being over weight can do. Like cigarettes packs have to have warnings on there should be health warnings up about being over weight in public places to help prevent it (though it may not be that effective =/) There should much more encouragement for them to live a healthier lifestyle.
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while
********
 
St.Vincent's Avatar
 
Name: Edna
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere Across Forever

Posts: 1,269
Blog Entries: 102
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post
Like cigarettes packs have to have warnings on there should be health warnings up about being over weight in public places to help prevent it (though it may not be that effective =/)
See that's the thing. We couldn't put signs up saying "BEING FAT CAUSES HEART PROBLEMS" because people feel uncomfortable and unaccepted. It's ok to write on cigarette ads that "SMOKING CAUSES CANCER" but what kind of food ad is going to allow the government to say "eating this will make you fat and unhealthy" because.. it's not the same thing. There is no easy culprit here.

But, you can tell someone in public "you should consider quitting smoking, it makes your lungs gross and horrible for your health" but you couldn't possibly tell someone "Hey, you look obese. Did you know that being obese causes increased risk of heart disease? You should go to the gym!".

I think this issue is difficult because it's not really anything we've experienced before. Imagine a movement like "Hey, smokers are people too. They're addicted, they can't help smoking".. right? Because smoking is a choice and an addiction and always the person's fault.. but being fat.. isn't considering to be someone's fault that much.

I'm sure y'all have heard that one before. But how do you fix it?

Also, sometimes really obese people have a hard time going to a gym because they feel uncomfortable there. Maybe the governments should fund an initiative to start gyms and fitness programs for obese people?


I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while
********
 
Through-Glass's Avatar
 
Name: Jessi
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Eastern Tennessee

Posts: 1,323
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 02:08 AM

I do not think that weight loss and being "thin" or conforming to a certain body type should be encouraged. I think that it should be all about health and what's good for our minds and our bodies. If being HEALTHY means losing weight, then that's fine. But the media should not be responsible for this; one should only feel the need to lose weight if their DOCTOR SPECIFICALLY TELLS THEM they need to.

I think it's rediculous that so many people are quick to judge those who are not stick-thin. This should be combatted, for sure.


[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while
********
 
St.Vincent's Avatar
 
Name: Edna
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere Across Forever

Posts: 1,269
Blog Entries: 102
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazola View Post
one should only feel the need to lose weight if their DOCTOR SPECIFICALLY TELLS THEM they need to.
I'm going to venture a guess that doctors do say this, and the person doesn't do it. My doctor always tells me what percentage I am in for weight and height and if I were under or over weight, I'm sure she would tell me.

I think media campaigns are important in that they are more convincing than a doc.

Maybe instead of showing "fat people" in the fat acceptance movement, they should show people of different sizes who all have high fitness, together, you know, like university brochure style?


I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough
*********
 
Jesus Christ.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,301
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Vincent View Post
See that's the thing. We couldn't put signs up saying "BEING FAT CAUSES HEART PROBLEMS" because people feel uncomfortable and unaccepted. It's ok to write on cigarette ads that "SMOKING CAUSES CANCER" but what kind of food ad is going to allow the government to say "eating this will make you fat and unhealthy" because.. it's not the same thing. There is no easy culprit here.

But, you can tell someone in public "you should consider quitting smoking, it makes your lungs gross and horrible for your health" but you couldn't possibly tell someone "Hey, you look obese. Did you know that being obese causes increased risk of heart disease? You should go to the gym!".

I think this issue is difficult because it's not really anything we've experienced before. Imagine a movement like "Hey, smokers are people too. They're addicted, they can't help smoking".. right? Because smoking is a choice and an addiction and always the person's fault.. but being fat.. isn't considering to be someone's fault that much.

I'm sure y'all have heard that one before. But how do you fix it?

Also, sometimes really obese people have a hard time going to a gym because they feel uncomfortable there. Maybe the governments should fund an initiative to start gyms and fitness programs for obese people?
I meant more like having posters up in fast food restaurants or supermarkets, or having more adverts on telly. Being obese is potentially as dangerous as smoking so why can't it be treated in a similar matter? At least food isn't as addictive as cigarettes in most cases, so it should be an easier problem to tackle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazola
I do not think that weight loss and being "thin" or conforming to a certain body type should be encouraged. I think that it should be all about health and what's good for our minds and our bodies. If being HEALTHY means losing weight, then that's fine. But the media should not be responsible for this; one should only feel the need to lose weight if their DOCTOR SPECIFICALLY TELLS THEM they need to.

I think it's rediculous that so many people are quick to judge those who are not stick-thin. This should be combatted, for sure.
But it just so happens that certain body types are healthier than others, so why shouldn't it be encouraged? And stick-thin people are judged quite often as well, seeming as this is an unhealthy body type.
And in all honesty, it would be a lot easier for the media to tell people that a certain body type is better than others, while this won't for some people it will work for most. The media is a powerful thing.

   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Yen Offline
Resident Leprechaun
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Yen's Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: Oregon

Posts: 352
Join Date: October 21st 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
... helping people feel better about their overweight bodies isn't going to solve the problem. If you feel confident in your body that's fantastic, but if you're not healthy, you should be working to lose that weight, not just accepting it.

I couldn't have said it better myself. It doesn't solve anything. It's just babying people who don't need it. If some one is unhealthy, it's a good idea to do something about it, not just pretend it doesn't exist because feelings might be hurt.


"Why isn't bull-riding (Beef NASCAR as I call it) the American sport to end all sports? It's an epic battle of the wills between a man and an angry cheeseburger; and if that doesn't typify our awesome civilization, I don't know what does."
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while
********
 
St.Vincent's Avatar
 
Name: Edna
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere Across Forever

Posts: 1,269
Blog Entries: 102
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yen View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself. It doesn't solve anything. It's just babying people who don't need it. If some one is unhealthy, it's a good idea to do something about it, not just pretend it doesn't exist because feelings might be hurt.
But you can't just say "stop being fat, now!" or something to that affect because that could possibly lead to eating disorders like anorexia. I think that the danger of eating disorders should be announced in this mess.

"You can't be too fat because it causes heart disease and others, and you can't be too thin because it's bad for your body. Be careful to lose your weight through working out and by the way, steel clear of anorexia, bulimia, and (working out!) tri-athlete disorder. And by the way, love your body while you're at it"


I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while
********
 
TigerTank77's Avatar
 
Name: Ben
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: NY

Posts: 1,534
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 02:37 AM

Having a few extra pounds is fine.

Having a stomach that hangs down below your balls is NOT.

People don't understand that being fat an being obese aren't always the same thing.

If someone is obese, then you tell them, "hey, you're obese, and if you don't loose weight it will kill you." We as a culture are so afraid of hurting people's feelings we're basically committing genetic suicide here.


Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.





  Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while
********
 
Toast's Avatar
 
Name: Toast
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,285
Join Date: January 9th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 03:20 AM

Yes and no. It helps people who may be on the verge of or currently have eating disorders, but it doesn't help people who are at an unhealthy, high weight. Though to be honest, if we come to accept "fat" as attractive people will just find someone else to be self-conscious about.


Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough
*********
 
Casey.'s Avatar
 
Name: Casey
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in my mind

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 337
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 04:05 AM

This thread pisses me off. Yes, fat isn't always healthy, but neither is skinny. I'm overweight, technically, but I don't look it, and I'm exteremly healthy. Body image is bad enough, with out everyone fearing that they are 'too fat' to be accepted by society.

I hate HATE fat talk, with a passion.You have to realize though, some people are just naturally overweight. I know people who eat healthy and work out, but they are still technically overweight. It's in their genes, but they still take care of themselves, as well as a 'skinny' person would be.


She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.


Smile through the tears.


PM me

  Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
losing touch.'s Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 5,996
Blog Entries: 537
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas* View Post
This thread pisses me off. Yes, fat isn't always healthy, but neither is skinny. I'm overweight, technically, but I don't look it, and I'm exteremly healthy. Body image is bad enough, with out everyone fearing that they are 'too fat' to be accepted by society.

I hate HATE fat talk, with a passion.You have to realize though, some people are just naturally overweight. I know people who eat healthy and work out, but they are still technically overweight. It's in their genes, but they still take care of themselves, as well as a 'skinny' person would be.
but the article is about a woman who chose to ignore the advice of a doctor who told her/her daughter that they/she was overweight. that's just dumb if you ask me.. because you're practically asking for health problems.

if people are 'naturally overweight' they can still change that. i have a friend who is naturally very skinny [which is also very unhealthy, as you said] but she changed that by seeing a dietician and working on ways to put weight on to get to a healthy weight.

and unfortunately being overweight or obese is just not healthy, and it would definitely be the tiny minority of very overweight/obese people who would be considered healthy. people should be glad to have their health and do their best not to be overweight or obese because then they are just asking for health problems later in life.. which is really very stupid.


..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..



   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Xujhan's Avatar
 
Name: Fletcher
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,024
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas* View Post
This thread pisses me off. Yes, fat isn't always healthy, but neither is skinny. I'm overweight, technically, but I don't look it, and I'm exteremly healthy. Body image is bad enough, with out everyone fearing that they are 'too fat' to be accepted by society.

I hate HATE fat talk, with a passion.You have to realize though, some people are just naturally overweight. I know people who eat healthy and work out, but they are still technically overweight. It's in their genes, but they still take care of themselves, as well as a 'skinny' person would be.
Which is why it's so hard to reach out and help people that actually do need to lose weight. There's a huge cultural stigma about being "anti-fat" at the moment; then pendulum swinging too far in the opposite direction, as it were. No, you don't have to be skinny to be healthy. And no, being overweight doesn't necessarily mean that you're unhealthy. But it often does, and once you hit the point of obesity it's definitely detrimental to your health. "Fat talk" isn't nice, but heart attacks and diabetes are much, much worse.


The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while
********
 
St.Vincent's Avatar
 
Name: Edna
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere Across Forever

Posts: 1,269
Blog Entries: 102
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 04:25 AM

Maybe the problem is that it's pretty hard to tell if a person is dangerously obese or ok fat. We know the BMI test is not working very well. The article mentioned something called a treadmill test... maybe GPs should test our general fitness?


I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
should now be "VFRs rock"
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Gixxers rock's Avatar
 
Age: 31
Location: Calgary

Posts: 392
Join Date: January 10th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 04:27 AM

Fat acceptance movement? I thought it was the other way around


I am the Stig's brother in law.


Race me on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue! My nickname is patrakoffman-64
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
losing touch.'s Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 5,996
Blog Entries: 537
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Vincent View Post
Maybe the problem is that it's pretty hard to tell if a person is dangerously obese or ok fat. We know the BMI test is not working very well. The article mentioned something called a treadmill test... maybe GPs should test our general fitness?
hmm that's a good point, i don't know about testing general fitness.. but they should be able to tell by testing cholesterol and blood pressure and stuff like that what someones general health is like.


..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..



   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lugez's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 929
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 07:49 AM

Why should we be babying anyone to be healthy? It's a personal decision.

If you're comfortable with who you are, then who cares? I sure as hell don't want to live past 65-75.

I also don't appreciate people telling me how to live, because I really don't give a crap what you think. I'll eat what I want, and exercise as much as I want. I'll live however long I live.

I will now gladly eat my Baconator sandwich from Wendy's.
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
CanadaCraig's Avatar
 
Age: 56
Gender: Male

Posts: 854
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 07:49 AM

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're having a dandy day!!


I fully support what that mother is doing. The fact that she burst into tears when the doctor told her daughter that she was fat and needed to lose weight - was just a case of [still] raw emotional nerves being poked.

"I have spent my whole entire life dieting and feeling like my worth was attached to my weight," says Lemire. "I wasn't going to tell [my daughter that] she has to change who she is. But we're going to encourage healthy behaviors [and] not worry about translating that into a size that's 'OK.'"

Amen to that!! What a loving mom - I say.

What someone ELSE weighs is NONE of our business. Now if we seriously care about them [And ALREADY have a loving and caring relationship with them] THEN we should speak up IF we think they have lost their way and are losing themselves in food. Just as we should if someone we cared about was drinking too much or whatever.

A few years ago - there was a story going around that some lady was taking things OUT of overweight stranger's shopping carts and telling them, "YOU don't really need THAT!!"

In life - whenever there is a change in attitude - the pendulum swings. The so-called 'fat acceptance movement' is just that. It's been a long time coming. It has been 'open season' on overweight people for far too long. I say - just let it go. In time - the pendulum will swing back to where it should have been all along. In the meantime - encourage healthy eating habits for EVERYONE!

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
losing touch.'s Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 5,996
Blog Entries: 537
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugez View Post
Why should we be babying anyone to be healthy? It's a personal decision.

If you're comfortable with who you are, then who cares? I sure as hell don't want to live past 65-75.

I also don't appreciate people telling me how to live, because I really don't give a crap what you think. I'll eat what I want, and exercise as much as I want. I'll live however long I live.

I will now gladly eat my Baconator sandwich from Wendy's.
because obese people take up NHS resources when they get health problems which are brought on by themselves.. i guess it's different when you don't have an NHS.


..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..



   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Pelios's Avatar
 
Name: Andrea
Gender: Female
Location: México

Posts: 3,691
Blog Entries: 48
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 08:18 AM

I think the fat acceptance movement is horrible it's sending the wrong message to younger kids. It's like saying it's okay to be over weight and obese, although it really isn't. Being overweight gives you loads of health problems such as diabetes.


Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lugez's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 929
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle. View Post

because obese people take up NHS resources when they get health problems which are brought on by themselves.. i guess it's different when you don't have an NHS.
I think the only solution to this would be to improve NHS resources.

I'm not one to control what people do with their lives. There's no denying that obesity is a social/medical problem, but also remember that we shouldn't infringe on people's freedoms either.

So in a way, I do disagree with the "fat acceptance" movement. I'm more in tune with "being happy with oneself." If you want to lose weight, then exercise and eat healthy. If not, then thats fine too as long as you understand the ramifications that it may have later in life (ala smoking). There shouldn't be laws to force people to be healthy or anything like that.
   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
her_beautiful_mistake's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Gender: Female
Location: Britland

Posts: 2,262
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 10:29 AM

I think most overweight people know they are overweight too, perhaps there should be more effort into weight loss clinics, free exercise classes, free nutrition advice?

Most overweight people do want to lose weight, you'd find.
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Yen Offline
Resident Leprechaun
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Yen's Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: Oregon

Posts: 352
Join Date: October 21st 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Vincent View Post
But you can't just say "stop being fat, now!" or something to that affect because that could possibly lead to eating disorders like anorexia. I think that the danger of eating disorders should be announced in this mess.
I didn't say any one had to be a douchebag about it. I just don't think it's healthy to baby people when there's a problem. It doesn't do any one any good.


"Why isn't bull-riding (Beef NASCAR as I call it) the American sport to end all sports? It's an epic battle of the wills between a man and an angry cheeseburger; and if that doesn't typify our awesome civilization, I don't know what does."
   
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Gidig's Avatar
 
Name: Maria
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 2,123
Blog Entries: 390
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 09:16 PM

We shouldn't care about weight at all. Some of the healthiest people I know are "overweight". Some people naturally carry weight.

And the word "fat" is one I find to be really offensive really. I mean, fat has such a negative connotation to it. What is "fat" even? If it means overweight, we should say overweight. And overweight according to what? Are we going to call football players unhealthy for weighing a lot, while they usually eat well, exercise all the time, etc.

We should encourage healthy eating and exercising, not weight loss.



The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while
********
 
St.Vincent's Avatar
 
Name: Edna
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere Across Forever

Posts: 1,269
Blog Entries: 102
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 10:07 PM

I think a good way to start might be asking GPs to do more detailed testing to figure out who's "carrying weight" in a way that's harmful to their health. Because, in general, being "overweight" is bad for your health.. so a good general rule of thumb is if you're overweight, you probably need to lose weight. I suppose though, if you went to your doctor and your doctor said you were healthy by such and such measure which negated the overweight part, then you're ok.

The thing, I think, is that it's complicated. It's a lot easier to say "fat is bad, skinny is good" than it is to say "well, in general, being overweight may cause disease but being a healthy weight that is not to skinny and not too fat would be optimal, but you have to be fit and eat right". Advertising needs to wise up, I guess, so they can turn "fat acceptance" into "body acceptance" and "embracing healthy life styles and eating choices".


I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)
   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 8th 2010, 10:45 PM

Something along the lines was given by George Carlin and although it was a comedy show, it spoke of something that was truthful and is present. It was viewed as funny because of how he showed it to be without sugar-coating it. What I'm referring to is this cultural view that we should promote a nicer, softer message even if it's not entirely correct. Saying "it's fine to be fat" is certainly a reassuring and softer message than the typical "you're obese, lose weight". Sure it may play into one's self-esteem but there's a time for sugar-coating and there's a time for just giving the whole blunt, unsugar-coated truth. If someone is obese and having health problems either due to their obesity or amplified by their obesity, or is having social, work or self-concept dysfunctions due to their obesity, then telling them that their obesity is fine isn't the right message as it's supporting the problem and going against solving the problem. We need to scrap this message and get out the blunt truth that one should exercise.

The problem with this blunt message and I'm sure I'll be called on it is that it's just that, a message. It doesn't support the person in the long-term goal or tell them how to go about and achieve it, so when one fails to achieve it, hearing this message played at them over and over makes them feel pretty awful. When this newer message or "fat movement" (whose names seems pretty derogatory to me), it plays into their emotions and of course the people who feel miserable will jump to it. Unfortunately, the only thing it may do is boost their self-esteem and self-concept but the underlying problem of obesity is still there, only now it gets relabeled as socially being healthy but medically is still unhealthy. Furthermore, the medical view gets underplayed and so it's a two-hit process: underplay the stuff that makes people feel like shit and overplay the stuff that makes people feel good.

I agree with previous responses that being overweight doesn't mean one is not healthy and that being too skinny isn't healthy either. It's great that this "fat movement" is helping the "fat people" feel good, however, it's not good when it may jepordize the important medical view.

The one thing though that makes me chuckle when I read this issue is the name, "fat movement". Calling someone "fat" isn't a pleasant thing, it's perceived as insulting so this name is almost as though it's promoting this insult in a way that is non-insulting. The name is a game of semantics and really dodges the issue of obesity.

I'm against this idea of making "fat people" feel happy and all about their image because it still keeps the obesity at work. Given the choice, I'd rather be told I'm obese and be given ways to reduce it as opposed to be told that my body image is fine while cleverly ignoring the medical view. Ideally, the message that should be advertised is that "being overweight doesn't mean you're unhealthy, being skinny doesn't mean you're unhealthy and being at the extremes of the two isn't a 100% guaruntee you're unhealthy but it's a very high guaruntee". In addition, there should be more availabilities and assistance within certain places to help become healthier because so far what's promoted is "eat this, it's healthy, lose weight, you're fat and you may get [insert long list of conditions], exercise now!" but the methods to do so aren't available.

It's like dangling a piece of meat in front of a dog and saying "you want this, then do this trick" but you don't provide a reasonable way for the dog to do that trick. When this "fat movement" comes in, it gives a kick in the nuts by trying to tell people that they should embrace their look (which is fine by me) BUT it goes one step further by down-playing the need to get healthier.
   
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
her_beautiful_mistake's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Gender: Female
Location: Britland

Posts: 2,262
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 9th 2010, 12:12 AM

The huge majority of people who are overweight are unhealthy - fact. Being overweight causes risk of many potential health problems in the future - fact.

The problem is of course, is that once you have diabetes or coronary heart disease, it's a bit too late. But people can't see they need to lose weight until they have these heath problems.

Yes there are the very small minory who are healthy and overweight, but they still have the risk of future health problems, infertility, and low-self esteem. So whilst we should be encouraging healthy eating and exercise, we should also be encouraging weight loss to a BMI of [Edited].

Last edited by eunoia; January 9th 2010 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Do not post BMI.
   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
her_beautiful_mistake's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Gender: Female
Location: Britland

Posts: 2,262
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 9th 2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Vincent View Post
I think a good way to start might be asking GPs to do more detailed testing to figure out who's "carrying weight" in a way that's harmful to their health. Because, in general, being "overweight" is bad for your health.. so a good general rule of thumb is if you're overweight, you probably need to lose weight. I suppose though, if you went to your doctor and your doctor said you were healthy by such and such measure which negated the overweight part, then you're ok.
But this is a waste of valuble NHS resources. If you're overweight, you have far higher risk of health problems in the future. This may mean you're healthy right now, but your life-style choice may cause problems in the future.

Doctors do have limited time and funds, and with the huge majority of people who are overweight being unhealthy and at a greater risk of health problems, I don't think further testing is needed just to pander to the ego of the small minority of people who are okay.



Oh, and fat is when you are carrying too much fat for your height and gender. It is a term covering people who have a [Edit: Removing numbers]. Yes it is not the most politically correct term, and you won't find a health professional or medic using (or at least shouldn't), but it is still relatively accurate.

I'd find it interesting to see how many people disagreeing that being overweight is okay if you're happy are actually overweight themselves, compared to the number of overweight people agreeing. I genuinely understand that it's something that is hard to swallow and as an overweight person who has been battling to lose weight for a good two years now (and getting somewhere, slowly) I sympathise entirely with everyone who is overweight. It's a cycle, most people who are overweight do feel bad about themselves and I know that when I feel bad about myself I tend to eat, which only creates a bigger (no pun intended) problem. It's about learning health eating skills, learning how to organise your life with food (because eating healthily is more effort) and developing better skills to cope with emotional turmoil. I get that losing weight is hard, but I still believe very strongly that it should be encouraged actively by health professionals and society should stop seeing being overweight as a body image problem, but a health problem.

As I said earlier, you may feel happy with your body now and not want to lose weight. But in the future when you develop any number of serious diseases you're likely to feel a lot different. It's about keeping your body medically healthy and reducing your risk factors to disease.

Last edited by Casey.; January 9th 2010 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Please don't post BMI numbers anywhere on the site.
   
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while
********
 
St.Vincent's Avatar
 
Name: Edna
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere Across Forever

Posts: 1,269
Blog Entries: 102
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 9th 2010, 01:47 AM

To be perfectly honest, I do not think I would be ok if I were in the unhealthy-risky-bad weight zone, and I don't think I would want anyone I love to be there either. But it's so un-right sounding to say "wow, I think she/he's putting on pounds, I hope she/he doesn't become fat!"...

But I think there is a way in which obesity is like smoking--it's something that's hard to stop and people have to really take initiative to do it. I think that maybe ad campaigns should focus on HOW to "do the trick" and "why", not so much "here's what you should look like".


I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 24
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,685
Blog Entries: 121
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 9th 2010, 01:56 AM

All I have to say is that just because you are overweight does not mean you are unhealthy. Not every overweight person is at risk of getting sick, and any thin person can be unhealthy as well. I don't think that these people are promoting obesity. I think they're simply trying to say that who you are should not be defined by your weight, and I agree with that 100%. A bigger person may have more of a chance of getting sick, but that does not make them less of a person.





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
losing touch.'s Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 5,996
Blog Entries: 537
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 9th 2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Vincent View Post
To be perfectly honest, I do not think I would be ok if I were in the unhealthy-risky-bad weight zone, and I don't think I would want anyone I love to be there either. But it's so un-right sounding to say "wow, I think she/he's putting on pounds, I hope she/he doesn't become fat!"...
but sometimes it's best for them if someone says something to them. i mean, of course i wouldn't say to a random person i hardly know that they should lose weight.. but if it's someone who i really care about and love and they expressed concern about their weight i wouldn't lie or tell them that 'they are fine as they are.'

theres a difference between telling someone 'oi, you're fat.. lose some weight' and being supportive and trying to encourage them to lead a healthier lifestyle. most overweight/obese people know that they are overweight.. they don't need to be told, but sometimes they [perhaps down to this 'fat acceptance' nonsense] seem to think that it's fine to be fat and sometimes i feel like people are even promoting it.. as weird as that sounds.

if you're fat the easy thing to do is say 'i'm happy how i am.' and not be bothered to do anything about it.. so having an 'acceptance movement' to reinforce this message is only going to let fat people get fatter and not be too worried about it. as i've already said i've been fat, and i still am considered overweight now because i put on a lot of weight through being put on steroids. i'm not fat person hater or anything like that, i just don't agree with movements like this who reinforce the whole 'it's fine to be fat' message.


..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..



   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
her_beautiful_mistake's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Gender: Female
Location: Britland

Posts: 2,262
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 9th 2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOfNyx View Post
All I have to say is that just because you are overweight does not mean you are unhealthy.
It does in the huge majority of cases. Once you're over [Edit: Removing BMI numbers], into obese, it's almost certain.

Quote:
Not every overweight person is at risk of getting sick,

Yes, they are. It may take 5 years or it may take 25 or it may never happen. But if you are overweight, and especially if you are obese, you are at a far higher risk of a whole range of illnesses including type II diabetes and coronary heart disease.

Quote:
and any thin person can be unhealthy as well.
This is true but the risk factors are much, much higher if you are overweight or obese.

Quote:
I think they're simply trying to say that who you are should not be defined by your weight, and I agree with that 100%. A bigger person may have more of a chance of getting sick, but that does not make them less of a person.

No one is saying that somebody should be defined by their weight or that a bigger person is less of a person.

Last edited by Casey.; January 9th 2010 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Pleasedon't post BMI numbers.
   
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Gidig's Avatar
 
Name: Maria
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 2,123
Blog Entries: 390
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 9th 2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Yes there are the very small minory who are healthy and overweight, but they still have the risk of future health problems, infertility, and low-self esteem. So whilst we should be encouraging healthy eating and exercise, we should also be encouraging weight loss to a BMI of XXX or below.
I don't think that's true. I think there are a lot of people who are overweight and healthy. And low-self esteem wouldn't come if people weren't saying how god awful it is to be "fat". It's like, the end of the world or something.

I've been told, if I was at the BMI you mentioned I'd probably be unhealthy just because of the way my body is built. BMI also doesn't take into account age and muscle mass. It's really rather unreliable and is why my doctor tends to stay away from it.



The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

   
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
her_beautiful_mistake's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Gender: Female
Location: Britland

Posts: 2,262
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 9th 2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
I don't think that's true. I think there are a lot of people who are overweight and healthy. And low-self esteem wouldn't come if people weren't saying how god awful it is to be "fat". It's like, the end of the world or something.

I've been told, if I was at the BMI you mentioned I'd probably be unhealthy just because of the way my body is built. BMI also doesn't take into account age and muscle mass. It's really rather unreliable and is why my doctor tends to stay away from it.
I think you should read the thread completely. They may be healthy right now but in being overweight and staying overweight (as such having an unhealthy life-style) they are massively increasing their risks of certain illnesses. And it is certainly true that it is a minority of overweight people whom are currently healthy - remember that a person may present themselves as healthy but have very high cholestrol, as an example.

You're right low self esteem and the causes is a different issue. But my point is that rather than simply encouraging people to "embrace their bodies" we should also encourage them to live healthily and lose weight. Most people will gain confidence as they lose weight - eating disorders are relatively rare.

BMI should not be used as a 100% accurate representation. However it is a good rough guide, and if you are over [Edited] you should be concerned, and so should your doctor, unless you have a very high muscle mass (such as competitive sports people) or are exceptionally tall (there is a different suggested way to calculate BMI for people who are exceptionally tall).

Last edited by eunoia; January 9th 2010 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Do not post weight-related numbers, including BMI.
   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while
********
 
Through-Glass's Avatar
 
Name: Jessi
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Eastern Tennessee

Posts: 1,323
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Is the fat acceptance movement bad for our health? - January 9th 2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post
I think the fat acceptance movement is horrible it's sending the wrong message to younger kids. It's like saying it's okay to be over weight and obese, although it really isn't. Being overweight gives you loads of health problems such as diabetes.


First of all, being overweight does NOT cause Type Two Diabetes. It's a risk factor, yes, but only in addition to a predisposition and unhealthy life style.

Second of all, I think that sending the opposite messsage isn't anymore helpful or healthy. We already pressure our young women to be dangerously thin; why add to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
You're right low self esteem and the causes is a different issue. But my point is that rather than simply encouraging people to "embrace their bodies" we should also encourage them to live healthily and lose weight. Most people will gain confidence as they lose weight - eating disorders are relatively rare.


First; losing weight and being healthy are NOT the same thing. You can maintain your weight and be healthy.

Second, eating disorders are not at all rare. That is an uninformed statement, and you should check your sources before stating these things as facts.

Quote:
1 in 5 women struggle with an eating disorder or disordered eating.
Quote:
National Institute of Mental Health's (NIMH) guide, Eating Disorders: Facts About Eating Disorders and the Search for Solutions
Eating Disorders affect up to 24 million Americans and 70 million individuals worldwide.
The Renfrew Center Foundation for Eating Disorders, Eating Disorders 101 Guide: A Summary of Issues, Statistics and Resources, published September 2002, revised October 2003, http://www.renfrew.org.
An estimated 10 to 15% of people with anorexia or bulimia are male.
Carlat, D.J. Camargo. Review of Bulimia in Males. American Journal of Psychiatry, 154, 1997
90 % of those who have eating disorders are women between the ages of 12 and 25.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, The Center for Mental Health Services, offices of the US Department of Health and Human Services.
At least 50,000 individuals will die as a direct result of an eating disorder.
It is estimated that currently 11% of high school students have been diagnosed with an eating disorder.
http://www.eatingdisorderinfo.org/Re...4/Default.aspx


[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
acceptance, bad, fat, health, movement

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.