TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Post UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
arts of the UK were colder than European ski resorts last night as temperatures matched their lowest levels so far this winter.

The current freeze has some way to go before reaching the all-time British low of -27.2C (-16.96 F), which has been recorded three times, all in Scotland – twice in Braemar, on 11 February 1895 and 10 January 1982, and in Altnaharra, in the Scottish Highlands on 30 December 1995. The lowest temperature recorded in England is -26.1C (-14.98 F), in Newport, Shropshire, in 1982.
Mercury levels around the world last night included a low of -48C (54.4 F) in Ilirnej, Siberia, and -41.7C (-43.06 F) in Roros, Norway.
Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/ja...er-ski-resorts

Quote:
Councils are spreading grit more thinly today in a bid to eke out supplies while they wait for much-needed deliveries of rock salt to combat a second day of ice and snow in southern England.

Harrow council in north-west London described the grit supply situation as "pretty outrageous".
The local authority spread about 40 tonnes around the borough last night, leaving it with 510 tonnes - not enough for four days of full gritting.
The deputy council leader, Susan Hall, said: "We have been prudent in our use of salt and kept 129km (80 miles) of main roads in Harrow clear since the cold snap began.
"We have 510 tonnes of salt left, and we are spreading it at a lighter rate precisely to make stocks last."
Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/ja...-grit-supplies

Quote:
Heavy snow has extended the holidays of hundreds of thousands of pupils as head teachers kept their doors closed.
About 9,000 schools were shut across England on Wednesday, with 950 closing today in Wales, and at least 250 in Scotland and 16 in Northern Ireland.
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/8445771.stm

Quote:
In Britain, power cuts affected up to 5,000 homes in southern England on Wednesday evening...
Snowfall in Britain has been bad, with over 12+ inches in most places, 2ft in some towns and cities.

What’s causing the cold weather?

In most winters, and certainly those in the last 20 years or so, our winds normally come from the south-west. This means air travels over the relatively warm Atlantic and we get mild conditions in the UK. However, over the past three weeks the Atlantic air has been ‘blocked’ and cold air has been flowing down from the Arctic or the cold winter landmass of Europe.
The cold temperatures in the UK have also been accompanied by snow. This is because areas of low pressure have been running in from the north-east, tracking across the North Sea and picking up moisture along the way. When they come over the land, the water falls as snow due to the cold temperatures.
However, it is not cold everywhere in the world. North-east America, Canada, North Africa, the Mediterranean, and south-west Asia have all seen temperatures above normal – in many places by more than 5C, and in parts of northern Canada, by more than 10C.

Source: UK Met Office.

From what I know: The jetstream has shifted, running high above Northern Canada, causing warmer temperatures in the arctic tundra within Canada. Also causing relatively mild temperatures in Iceland, from there it dips south well into Europe, bringing Arctic air south and putting Europe into the current deep freeze and very heavy snowfall. The cold air is also affecting northern Siberia, where it has been 10C below normal across an area the size of Australia.

Natural gas supplies are also running low and The National Grid in the UK is trying to get more from Suppliers, but Norway also needs the gas too, as they are also experiencing bad weather.
In some parts of England they are taking sand from the beaches and spreading it on the roads because they have nothing else to put on the roads.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

(#2 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 02:18 AM

Mm places all over the world are having rough winters right now. It makes me really confused because, while I know it's just a winter, there has been so much hush-hush about the global warming email hack.

Hmm, something to read about next time we get snowed in, lol.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 02:41 AM

Man, I feel bad for all of you who are from the UK. That sounds completely terrible. Maybe they should come borrow some salt for from the US, we're not getting barely any snow here, at least not near Detroit. Not like we need it! (;

I hope all of you are bearing the cold. Great time to take a trip to California?

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOfNyx View Post
Man, I feel bad for all of you who are from the UK. That sounds completely terrible. Maybe they should come borrow some salt for from the US, we're not getting barely any snow here, at least not near Detroit. Not like we need it! (;

I hope all of you are bearing the cold. Great time to take a trip to California?

I'm totally with Amanda. I feel bad for you guys.
California weather is just wonderful to us all the time.
I feel fortunate enough to live here.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 03:17 AM

I wish I could say that -18 seemed bad, but that's average out here.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 03:24 AM

Lol. It's not uncommon to have a couple days in winter here where's it's -50C. Generally for Jan, Feb, it varies between -15 and -40. I suppose that seems low, but when you're used to it, it's not a big deal.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#7 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 04:00 AM

lol, it's not that bad. people way over-react in situations like these. the UK cannot cope with extreme whether conditions of any sort, at all. if it gets hot everyone goes into panic mode and if it snows it's like the whole country stops. it's annoying though for people who have AS/A level exams next week!. pretty much all schools and colleges are shut and people are starting to panic a little.. justifiably so though, i guess.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
I wish I could say that -18 seemed bad, but that's average out here.
True, true, but the UK's average altitude above sea level is only 161m and Ireland 108, which makes a big difference. Particularly with wet pressure, humidity and lack of rain shadows! That poor island takes a beating from storms that usually come off of the Atlantic, haha. Having lived in England and Canada I'd say -15c here, is more bearable than -5c there, the cold feels damp and it gets at you worse than it does here. Although, I do live in the foothills of the Rockies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Vincent View Post
It makes me really confused because, while I know it's just a winter, there has been so much hush-hush about the global warming email hack.
That was in mid-December, it was probably hidden in with news stories about the climate summit in Copenhagen!

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 06:51 AM

Before December this was the warmest weather I had ever seen living here.
Then after December started it's been about average, not nearly as cold as we're used to though.
Maybe the UK will be the new Canada and we can have some nice temperatures for a change.

But jeesh people in the UK, it's not even cold there compared to what it usually is and my school only closed once in 12 years. You guys need to get used to this, -30 is nothing! Try going to school in -40.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFin View Post
Before December this was the warmest weather I had ever seen living here.
Then after December started it's been about average, not nearly as cold as we're used to though.
Maybe the UK will be the new Canada and we can have some nice temperatures for a change.

But jeesh people in the UK, it's not even cold there compared to what it usually is and my school only closed once in 12 years. You guys need to get used to this, -30 is nothing! Try going to school in -40.
yeah but we're not used to it.. so it's very cold for us and we don't have road gritters and all of that stuff because we hardly ever get weather like this, so it's dangerous to go out and blah blah.. yeah, it's ridiculous. we should be more prepared.. but we never are.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 06:57 AM

You can borrow ours. Or you can all move here and just abandon England.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
You can borrow ours. Or you can all move here and just abandon England.
abandon england? no way!!. but yeah.. loads of homes are out of power as well, apparently five thousands more in my area are going to lose power today.. great! it's so ridiculous, we get like what really isn't that much snow and the whole country goes into crisis mode. my mum went and 'stocked up' on food yesterday in case we got stuck here and starved haha.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 07:25 AM

The UK is SO badly prepared for weather like this ... I mean I live a 45 min bus ride from work and it took almost 3 hours to get in yesterday because everyone had to drive so slow. Most of the main roads around here only really got gritted yesterday, and the small roads are deadly with ice. I've had to take the day off work because it's no use to them me showing up 3/4hours late, and I really can't leave at 4am just to get to work on time.
Snow is pretty ... but we seriously need to learn how to keep everything going when it comes.

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#14 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Name: Will

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 08:02 AM

The uk is just not prepared fo weather like this, when its hot we all moan and when cold and snowing we all moan. :P

Yeah, we could take some sand from the usa! and i would never abandon england.Never!
  Send a message via MSN to ThrashAttack  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle. View Post
lol, it's not that bad. people way over-react in situations like these. the UK cannot cope with extreme whether conditions of any sort, at all. if it gets hot everyone goes into panic mode and if it snows it's like the whole country stops. it's annoying though for people who have AS/A level exams next week!. pretty much all schools and colleges are shut and people are starting to panic a little.. justifiably so though, i guess.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I agree it is not that bad
Here in Liverpool we have had about an inch and a half of snow. It is nothing.
Basically the whole city has shut down.

I am panicking about my exams because it is possible that the school may be closed again on Monday. If it closed on Monday then I will have to do my exam in June. If it continues to be closed through next week then I will miss 5 exams and it means I will be doing 12 exams in June instead of 6.
Even if my exam does go on I haven't had a maths or R.E lesson in 4 weeks.

The annoying thing is I went to school on Tuesday and my teacher was in but we all got sent home because of the snow. I could have had my lesson quite easily. A lot of schools here are open just for 6th form but my school is just being really inconsiderate. Other schools are open but saying come in if you can.
It is health and safety gone mad. They just don't wan anyone falling and suing them...

(#16 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 09:49 AM

Humans should try experiencing weather on jupiter. lol
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 10:15 AM

Thing is that weather like this is so rare in England that it would be a complete waste of resources to spend time and money on preparing the country for them, because, well it doesn't happen that often?

I quite like the weather. Sledging, anyone?

Mind you it's not really affected me. The roads are clear here and my college will literally never close.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Except that these kind of temperatures are extremely rare here, so we're not used to them, and it would be a waste of money for the Government to use resources planning for them because it is so rare.

Your body adjusts to certain temperatures. Have you ever been on holiday somewhere warm and then come back and felt like an ice cube, even though it's not cold?
Also in this country we're not used to driving or walking in snowy conditions such as these. It really is quite rare.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 02:07 PM

The whole of Ireland has pretty much shutdown this week. The schools in my area are closed and we only have ice.

I don't think the weather is really that bad. We're just not prepared. At all.

Edit: All schools are closed until Thursday.

Last edited by noise94; January 8th 2010 at 04:17 PM.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOfNyx View Post

Psh, don't feel bad! I got two nights off work because of it

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 8th 2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
The whole of Ireland has pretty much shutdown this week. The schools in my area are closed and we only have ice.

I don't think the weather is really that bad. We're just not prepared. At all.

Edit: All schools are closed until Thursday.
Yeah. Guys, you don't know how good you have it.

We have people stuck in their houses with low food supplies and no means of getting to the towns, and some elderly people haven't been heard from in days. On the other hand the Dublin city council is considering calling in the army because - wait for it - the high numbers of people slipping on icey pavements is blocking up A&E departments!

Meanwhile an emergency shipment of salt - from Spain - will only fill half of the requirements, but local councils refuse to buy from Irish quarries... Our school was the only one insane enough to open yesterday, and it was so bad (only 30 out of about a thousand could make it) that they actually shut it down again before the day was out!

And I'm absolutely infuriated, because in the middle of all this mess my new PC has been delayed for almost 2 weeks for lack of proper infrastructure!!

One woman can't get to work in Switzerland. They've half a foot over there, here we've got an inch and a half. Guess where the planes are grounded...
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 10th 2010, 11:08 AM

It really is retarded. And ice is worse than snow in general.

I mean, we're the laughing stock of Europe..or Scandinavia at least. We're so poorly prepared for this it's just beyond silly...

I mean, the countrys breaking down, people being unable to get to school, important exams being missed, it's just silly...

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 10th 2010, 11:18 AM

France, Germany, parts of spain are experiencing bad weather as well.
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 10th 2010, 01:33 PM

I live in Wales and since I live pretty much on top of a mountain it is pretty bad here.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 10th 2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle. View Post

I definitely agree with this. We're over-reacting. As long as you wrap up warm it's fine.

People have started emergency shopping now which is silly. My nan wanted some bread and everywhere had sold out so she had to ask my dad to get her some. It's kinda scary hearing about people freezing to death on the news though.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 10th 2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence View Post
It really is retarded. And ice is worse than snow in general.

I mean, we're the laughing stock of Europe..or Scandinavia at least. We're so poorly prepared for this it's just beyond silly...

I mean, the countrys breaking down, people being unable to get to school, important exams being missed, it's just silly...
My school said it was definitely going to open for the exams no matter what. They won't expect anyone who doesn't have an exam to come though if its really bad. Although for some people it might be impossible to get there since the buses stop running if there's a teensy bit of snow.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 10th 2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulkiller7 View Post
Yes, but their problems are understandable considering the weather they're getting - in France 5,000 homes were without electricity because the snow was simply tearing down the pylons. Over here we're having problems keeping parts of the country running because of two inches of snow. Slight difference...
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 10th 2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulkiller7 View Post

This cold weather seems to be fairly widespread at the moment.

Quote:
BEIJING China was rushing tents and other relief supplies to its northwestern Xinjiang region after heavy snow killed one person and forced the evacuation of nearly 5,500 others, state media said Sunday.
Snowstorms that raged until Friday also "flattened" 799 houses and damaged 4,897 others, the report by Xinhua news agency said.
The snow, part of a fierce cold snap that has gripped much of the nation since the New Year, also caused power blackouts and transport chaos in parts of the traditionally Muslim region bordering on Central Asia.
Source
Quote:
A wave of cold weather pummelling much of Mexico has left nine people dead, the country's health minister said on Saturday, as residents in the normally sun-baked north struggled to cope.
Source
Quote:
South Carolina officials called an early end to the shrimping season and Florida citrus growers remained on edge Friday as a cold snap persisted across much of the U.S.
Heavy snowfall and icy temperatures prompted dozens of Minnesota schools to close and delayed the opening of some state offices Friday, while wind-chill levels in the Dakotas hovered around 25-degrees below zero.
Source

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 10th 2010, 05:35 PM

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh. Granted here, a foot of snow and everything closes down. But one of my friends lives in Nebraska, they've had over three feet of snow, and some places were completely snowed it. But two inches?! xD That's just hilarious guys. Not he being ill prepared part, but still.

We don't get much snow here, but we still prepare for it, just like we prepare for hurricanes every season. We have to prepare for the cold and the ice,it's just common sense.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 10th 2010, 06:08 PM

Its england. We moan about loads of stuff.
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: UK Experiences Worst Winter since 1963 - January 10th 2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas* View Post
We don't get much snow here, but we still prepare for it, just like we prepare for hurricanes every season. We have to prepare for the cold and the ice,it's just common sense.
Yeah. You see when I first moved here, they hadn't had snow for 20 years. Get me?
Closed Thread